|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who claims to see the devil hiding behind the curtains?
2. What does Léonie dream in the nightmare at the beginning of Chapter 18?
3. When Léonie awakens, what does she realize?
4. Why does Victorine takes Léonie and Thérèse into the woods?
5. What do the girls bring up from the cellar?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the chapter, "The Oranges," what problem do you think Léonie is really trying to resolve when she is juggling the oranges or thinking of the magpies?
2. In "The Cake Tin," what can be implied about Victorine's attitudes towards Jews?
3. How does Antoinette's wasted and emaciated body trigger feelings within Thérèse of her own body image as evidenced in the chapter "The Pillows"?
4. What is the symbolism of Thérèse dumping Antoinette's letters into the stove to burn?
5. In the chapter, "The Holdall," how does what Léonie finds while going through Thérèse's things demonstrate the differences between the two women?
6. What in the chapter, "The Recipe Book," suggests that prejudice still exists against the Jews?
7. How is the dream connected to Léonie's dream in the first chapter?
8. How do you think the reaction of Antoinette in the chapter "The Sofa," is related to her reaction to Léonie's previous venture to the cellar in "The Cellar Key"?
9. What is the implication of Madeleine scolding Thérèse for upsetting her father on his first day home?
10. In "The Onyx Ashtray," what are the ways the Priest conspires to keep the knowledge about the found bones from becoming a focus for the media?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapters 25-28 are predominantly concerned with the process of Antoinette's imminent death and then her death. Death is viewed differently by different characters depending on their religious views and their relationship to the one dying, in this case, Antoinette. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. How does Antoinette's imminent death and then subsequent death affect the following characters: LÃ©onie, ThÃ©rÃ¨se, Louis, and Madeleine. Cite specific examples.
2 After conducting some research, compare and contrast Judaism's view of death versus the Roman Catholic view.
3. Discuss how you felt when someone close to you was dying and then after the person died. Are any of the emotions present in the novel similar to yours? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 16, Victorine and ThÃ©rÃ¨se are condescending about LÃ©onie's attitudes and tastes, and LÃ©onie feels what it is like to be discriminated against. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. Discuss the theme of discrimination in the novel, giving specific examples of occurrences throughout the novel (possible areas: class, Nationality, and ethnic origins, as in Jews).
2. Discuss the theme of discrimination for one major group as it occurs in your culture (class, race, sexual orientation, religion, handicapped, etc).
3. Discuss how discrimination has occurred in your own life or that of someone you know well. Include how you feel about it, what you may do to help the person or yourself, and what might help eradicate the discrimination.
Essay Topic 3
Dreams are detailed in several chapters of this work; two particularly long ones are in chapter 1 and chapter 47. Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. Describe several symbols in the dreams and their meaning.
2. What do you think is the purpose of using dreams in this novel?
3. How effective are the dreams at explaining the interior landscape of ThÃ©rÃ¨se and LÃ©onie, since each character dreams one of the two significant dreams.
4. Do you find that dreams contribute to the meaning of this work? What about other literature or film that has one or more dream scenes?
This section contains 1,319 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)