|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Léonie see in the woods?
2. What is next to a photo of Léonie?
3. How does Thérèse feel in her clothes?
4. What has Léonie pretended for 20 years?
5. Who claims to see the devil hiding behind the curtains?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first few minutes of Thérèse and Léonie's time together as described in "The Chandelier."
2. What might the lava image which Thérèse images in "The Rosary," mean to Thérèse?
3. In the chapter "The Photographs," what in the photographs displayed again reveals the different focus of the two women when they are girls?
4. Describe the nightmare with which the chapter "The Wall" opens.
5. In "The Gray Silk Nightshirt," as the two women sit and chat in Thérèse's room, what is revealed overtly or implied about their relationship and each woman as individuals?
6. Who is Thérèse manipulating in the chapter, "The Dust," and why do you think she does this?
7. To what do you think Léonie's dream in "The Red Suitcase," is related and of what do you think the suitcase is symbolic?
8. How is the relationship between Baptiste and Léonie developed in this chapter?
9. Describe Thérèse's first tour of the house as shown in "The Buffet." What is ironic about one of her thoughts?
10. What do you think the wind Léonie feels means?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 29, the differences between the English and French and the Roman Catholic religion and the Anglican religion are very visible. Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. How different are the English from the French as suggested in this novel? Give specific examples.
2. Do you think there is such as big a difference in the culture of the two countries in the 21st century as in the time frame when the novel first opens (1950's)? Why or why not?
3. What are the major differences between the Roman Catholic Church beliefs and that of the Anglican Church? (You may have to do a little research).
Essay Topic 2
There are two sides to the Martin house. One side is proper and presentable, and the other is full of darkness and threatening secrets. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. Describe both parts of the Martin house and list some of the imagery associated with each part.
2. Can the Martin house be an analogy for humans, i.e., we all have a "dark" and a "light" side to our personalities. Discuss yourself or someone you know and the traits that's that you consider dark or light and show how those traits can be said to belong to one part of the Martin home or the other. Explain why you assign a trait to one side or the other.
3. Literature is replete with the idea that life is duality--good or evil, hot or cold, sad or joyful.... But much of life rather than being a duality is various shades or mixtures of opposites. Talk about this idea and use examples both from Daughters of the House and your own experiences.
Essay Topic 3
Chapters 18 and 19 both obliquely refer to the rape of Antoinette by a German soldier during WWII. There are a number of references throughout the text that implies that ThÃ©rÃ¨se, and perhaps even LÃ©onie is a product of this rape. Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. List and discuss the references throughout the novel that suggests that Antoinette is raped by a German soldier. Include dreams, conversations, and any other sources. What is your interpretation of the textual evidence?
2. Discuss the references that suggest that ThÃ©rÃ¨se is a product of the rape. Are there references that imply that LÃ©onie is not only ThÃ©rÃ¨se's sister, but her twin and is a product of the same rape? Find those references also. What do you believe about the parentage of the two girls? Support your statements with specific textual references.
3. Breasts are an obvious symbol of maternity in that women breastfeed their children. Discuss the implications of Antoinette's breast cancer and her role as a mother juxtaposed next to the fact that she is raped.
This section contains 1,574 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)