|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the ladies discussing when the two girls decide to go down to the cellar?
(a) Whether there is going to be a major war.
(b) If their husbands really like being tied down in marriage.
(c) The diagnosis of breast cancer that Antoinette has just received.
(d) Who is likely to be the next woman to wed.
2. What does the specialist say about Antoinette's breast cancer?
(a) Nothing; he does not want to scare her.
(b) That it may not be cancer after all.
(c) That it will just take a little surgery and she'll be fine.
(d) That it does not look good.
3. Who tells Thérèse to get up off the floor?
4. What happens when Léonie goes down to the cellar floor?
(a) Her light goes out.
(b) She sees hundreds of bottles of wine.
(c) She meets an elderly man.
(d) She finds bones.
5. When do Léonie and Thérèse meet?
(a) After years of separation.
(b) When they are three.
(c) When they have both married.
(d) They never meet after they are babies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Thérèse bang her head against the floor?
2. About what do Léonie and Thérèse argue?
3. Who does Léonie believe stole her soul?
4. Where do Thérèse and Léonie walk?
5. What does Léonie do after Louis leaves the bathroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Writing Table," what is Léonie doing on the advice of her lawyer and why?
2. What is the implication of Madeleine scolding Thérèse for upsetting her father on his first day home?
3. In "The Cake Tin," what can be implied about Victorine's attitudes towards Jews?
4. In the chapter "The Green Scarf," how does the celebration in the woods contrast to that of organized religion?
5. How does Antoinette's wasted and emaciated body trigger feelings within Thérèse of her own body image as evidenced in the chapter "The Pillows"?
6. What does Thérèse notice in the graveyard in the chapter "The Doorbell"?
7. What is symbolized by Léonie's lying in the woods and undressing to have sex with Baptiste?
8. To what do you think Léonie's dream in "The Red Suitcase," is related and of what do you think the suitcase is symbolic?
9. Briefly describe the scene about the broth and discuss its possible symbolism in the chapter "The Slotted Spoon."
10. The burning of objects occur repeatedly throughout this novel, the first idea of this occurring in the chapter "The Altar." What do you think could be the symbolism behind the burning of various objects?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)