|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color of eyes does everyone in the area seem to have?
(b) It varies.
(c) Dark brown.
2. What does Thérèse mix that she hasn't done in many years?
(a) The dog food.
(b) Chocolate cake.
(c) The potting soil with clay.
(d) An alcoholic drink.
3. Why does Baptiste supposedly despise Thérèse?
(a) Because she rejects his marriage proposal many years ago.
(b) For listening to him and Léonie making love many years ago.
(c) Because he hates her father.
(d) For encouraging him to marry Léonie.
4. What does Léonie do with Thérèse's things?
(a) Makes Thérèse carry them to her room.
(b) Unpacks them.
(c) Messes them up.
(d) Searches through them.
5. What does Thérèse notice that Léonie has done?
(a) Started allowing the cats and dogs in the house.
(b) Knitted stockings for Thérèse.
(c) Put old sheets on her bed.
(d) Taken care in setting the table.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who cares for Thérèse the first year and a half of her life?
2. Upon what four things in the catechism does Thérèse concentrate?
3. Who convinces Thérèse to eat?
4. What does Antoinette do under the influence of morphine?
5. After Madeleine defends Léonie, how does Antoinette act?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Writing Table," what is Léonie doing on the advice of her lawyer and why?
2. The burning of objects occur repeatedly throughout this novel, the first idea of this occurring in the chapter "The Altar." What do you think could be the symbolism behind the burning of various objects?
3. What is symbolized by Léonie's lying in the woods and undressing to have sex with Baptiste?
4. To what do you think Léonie's fears are related in the chapter "The Nightlight"?
5. How is the occupation of the Germans described in "The Carpets"?
6. What about her mother's impending death seems to be of greatest concern to Thérèse in the chapter "The Statue of the Virgin"?
7. How does Antoinette's wasted and emaciated body trigger feelings within Thérèse of her own body image as evidenced in the chapter "The Pillows"?
8. How is the dream connected to Léonie's dream in the first chapter?
9. In the chapter "The Photographs," what in the photographs displayed again reveals the different focus of the two women when they are girls?
10. Describe Thérèse's dream of Antoinette.
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)