|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Madeleine tell her daughter about the daughter's father, Maurice?
(a) That he loves his daughter very much.
(b) That he was a German collaborator.
(c) How Louis and Maurice were friends and how Maurice helped hide the villagers' wine in the cellar.
(d) That he deserts the family and goes to the United States.
2. How is the farmhouse described?
(a) As common.
(b) As a safe haven.
(c) As a rickety old building.
(d) As changeable.
3. What does Thérèse do as she walks through the house?
(a) Tells Henri about each piece of furniture.
(b) Decides what she wants from each room.
(c) Sits and remembers her childhood in each room.
(d) Turns lights on and off in the rooms.
4. The novel begins with the description of what?
(a) Michael's favorite horse.
(b) The barn.
(c) The farm house.
(d) A nightmare.
5. How much longer does Antoinette live?
(a) Three more years.
(b) Three months.
(c) Another year.
(d) Two weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person who had a German officer as a lover now do?
2. How does Thérèse arrive?
3. Why has Thérèse come to the farmhouse?
4. Who was willing to take on a German officer as a lover?
5. At the end of the chapter what does Léonie imagine she and Thérèse are doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Thérèse's dream of Antoinette.
2. In the chapter, "The Oranges," what problem do you think Léonie is really trying to resolve when she is juggling the oranges or thinking of the magpies?
3. Describe the nightmare with which the chapter "The Wall" opens.
4. In the chapter, "The Coffee Bowls," how do you think Léonie is symbolically similar to the house?
5. What is symbolized by Léonie's lying in the woods and undressing to have sex with Baptiste?
6. What do you think is the significance of Thérèse's threat of "the silent treatment" to Léonie?
7. How is it intimated that parts of the house are "open," and other parts "secreted," just as the two girls are open in some ways and secretive in others?
8. What does Thérèse notice in the graveyard in the chapter "The Doorbell"?
9. Who is Thérèse manipulating in the chapter, "The Dust," and why do you think she does this?
10. In the chapter, "The Quimper Dish, what do you think is the reason behind Thérèse's sudden "illness"?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)