|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Thérèse and Léonie walk?
(a) Into the living room.
(b) Into the kitchen.
(c) Into the conservatory.
(d) Upstairs to the library.
2. Who tells Thérèse to get up off the floor?
3. What are the ladies discussing when the two girls decide to go down to the cellar?
(a) If their husbands really like being tied down in marriage.
(b) Who is likely to be the next woman to wed.
(c) Whether there is going to be a major war.
(d) The diagnosis of breast cancer that Antoinette has just received.
4. Why does Baptiste supposedly despise Thérèse?
(a) Because she rejects his marriage proposal many years ago.
(b) For encouraging him to marry Léonie.
(c) Because he hates her father.
(d) For listening to him and Léonie making love many years ago.
5. What has Léonie pretended for 20 years?
(a) That Thérèse is dead.
(b) That the house belongs to her.
(c) That Baptiste is the man she loves.
(d) That Thérèse would come and they could be together again.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much longer does Antoinette live?
2. At the end of the chapter what does Léonie imagine she and Thérèse are doing?
3. What has Léonie been doing while Thérèse has been in the convent?
4. What do the girls do after being exhausted from fighting?
5. What does Léonie say about the Jews?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Gray Silk Nightshirt," as the two women sit and chat in Thérèse's room, what is revealed overtly or implied about their relationship and each woman as individuals?
2. In "The Onyx Ashtray," what are the ways the Priest conspires to keep the knowledge about the found bones from becoming a focus for the media?
3. What do you think is the significance of Thérèse's threat of "the silent treatment" to Léonie?
4. Describe Thérèse's first tour of the house as shown in "The Buffet." What is ironic about one of her thoughts?
5. What do you think the wind Léonie feels means?
6. What might the lava image which Thérèse images in "The Rosary," mean to Thérèse?
7. How do the two bakeries mentioned in "The Bread Basket" represent the same situation as that of Léonie and Thérèse?
8. What is a possible reason the author has Léonie jabbing her cigarette in the air to emphasize the argument with Thérèse?
9. What do you think is symbolic about the dinner the two women share?
10. What does Thérèse notice in the graveyard in the chapter "The Doorbell"?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)