|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thérèse find when she goes to the clearing looking for Léonie?
(a) The black stag.
(b) Léonie kneeling by a rock.
(c) Baptiste killing a kitten.
(d) The woman that Léonie had described.
2. What does Thérèse do for her mother?
(a) Combs and braids her hair everyday.
(b) Reads to her in bed.
(c) She makes herself suffer in small ways so that her mother will suffer less in purgatory.
(d) Takes her tea three times a day.
3. What does the specialist say about Antoinette's breast cancer?
(a) Nothing; he does not want to scare her.
(b) That it will just take a little surgery and she'll be fine.
(c) That it does not look good.
(d) That it may not be cancer after all.
4. What is one game the girls play?
(d) All for Love.
5. About what do Léonie and Thérèse argue?
(a) Whether it is right to still be angry with German collaborators.
(b) Why horses don't lie down to sleep.
(c) French and English food.
(d) If French people are smarter than English people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Antoinette do under the influence of morphine?
2. Who watches Léonie as she drags the suitcase back and forth in her nightmare?
3. What does Madeleine tell her daughter about the daughter's father, Maurice?
4. Why does Madeleine move Léonie into Thérèse's room?
5. Who is in trouble with the adults?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think either woman is more innocent in the way they interact here in the chapter titled "The Cigarette?"
2. What do you think that the emptiness in the air about Léonie means?
3. To what do you think Léonie's dream in "The Red Suitcase," is related and of what do you think the suitcase is symbolic?
4. What is a possible reason the author has Léonie jabbing her cigarette in the air to emphasize the argument with Thérèse?
5. In "The Cake Tin," what can be implied about Victorine's attitudes towards Jews?
6. In the chapter, "The Quimper Dish, what do you think is the reason behind Thérèse's sudden "illness"?
7. Who is Thérèse manipulating in the chapter, "The Dust," and why do you think she does this?
8. Describe how the church is decorated for the upcoming festival and what is perhaps a bit odd about that.
9. Describe the first few minutes of Thérèse and Léonie's time together as described in "The Chandelier."
10. Briefly describe the scene about the broth and discuss its possible symbolism in the chapter "The Slotted Spoon."
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)