|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was willing to take on a German officer as a lover?
(b) One of the village girls who came to help with chores at the house was billeted in the back bedroom.
2. What does Thérèse do as she walks through the house?
(a) Decides what she wants from each room.
(b) Tells Henri about each piece of furniture.
(c) Sits and remembers her childhood in each room.
(d) Turns lights on and off in the rooms.
3. The novel begins with the description of what?
(a) A nightmare.
(b) The farm house.
(c) Michael's favorite horse.
(d) The barn.
4. When the two girls go downstairs, what do they find?
(a) Louis is giving his wife a sip of water.
(b) Madeleine singing the Hail Mary.
(c) Antoinette is feeling very much better.
(d) Antoinette has died and Louis is sleeping with his head against Madeleine's shoulder.
5. About what do Léonie and Thérèse argue?
(a) If French people are smarter than English people.
(b) Why horses don't lie down to sleep.
(c) Whether it is right to still be angry with German collaborators.
(d) French and English food.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do Léonie and Thérèse meet?
2. What do the girls do after being exhausted from fighting?
3. Who cares for Thérèse the first year and a half of her life?
4. What does the person who had a German officer as a lover now do?
5. Why does Madeleine move Léonie into Thérèse's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the chapter, "The Quimper Dish, what do you think is the reason behind Thérèse's sudden "illness"?
2. The chapter titled, "The Water Bottle" is dense with imagery. Identify two of the images and what they might represent.
3. How do the two bakeries mentioned in "The Bread Basket" represent the same situation as that of Léonie and Thérèse?
4. What story does Léonie tell Baptiste and what is his response?
5. How, in "The Dust," does Léonie's actions foreshadow her eventual life as wife and mother and living at the Martin property?
6. What is the implication of Madeleine scolding Thérèse for upsetting her father on his first day home?
7. In the chapter, "The Silver Cake Tray," what do you think is the significance of the shrine?
8. What do you think the wind Léonie feels means?
9. How do Therèse's actions in this chapter, "The Fish Kettle," foreshadow her decision to become a nun?
10. What so you think is the symbolism attached to Thérèse jumping free of her burning clothes?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)