|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Antoinette describe in the letters?
(a) How Rose Taillé took the baby in because she lost her own baby the week before.
(b) How Léonie was always jealous of Thérèse.
(c) How Thérèse is such a quiet baby.
(d) How Thérèse's father is having an affair.
2. What does Léonie see in the woods?
(a) A beautiful woman with olive skin dressed in red.
(b) Madeleine with Louis.
(c) A black stag.
(d) Two woodsmen illegally chopping down a tree.
3. How do the girls "doctor" each other?
(a) They are only doctoring the doll.
(b) Wrap themselves in bandages.
(c) Tie the patient to the bed.
(d) Force castor oil down the throat.
4. What does Léonie enjoy?
(a) Being a foreigner for a change.
(b) Brushing her hair one-hundred strokes every night.
(c) Climbing the apple tree everyday while visiting Thérèse.
(d) Teasing Thérèse unmercifully.
5. Who claims to see the devil hiding behind the curtains?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who cares for Thérèse the first year and a half of her life?
2. What do the girls do after being exhausted from fighting?
3. About what do the hosts and guest sit in the salon and talk?
4. What happens when Léonie goes down to the cellar floor?
5. Who has died at the beginning of Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. What in the chapter, "The Recipe Book," suggests that prejudice still exists against the Jews?
2. What in "The Ivory Ring" chapter foreshadows Thérèse's despondency about her mother's death and her father transferring his affection to Madeleine?
3. In "The Onyx Ashtray," what are the ways the Priest conspires to keep the knowledge about the found bones from becoming a focus for the media?
4. In the chapter "The Photographs," what in the photographs displayed again reveals the different focus of the two women when they are girls?
5. What do you think that the emptiness in the air about Léonie means?
6. How do you think the reaction of Antoinette in the chapter "The Sofa," is related to her reaction to Léonie's previous venture to the cellar in "The Cellar Key"?
7. How do the two bakeries mentioned in "The Bread Basket" represent the same situation as that of Léonie and Thérèse?
8. What scene in the chapter, "The Camp Bed," suggests that the personal dynamics of the household is about to change?
9. What task do you believe is now set before Léonie?
10. Describe how the church is decorated for the upcoming festival and what is perhaps a bit odd about that.
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)