|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Léonie pretended for 20 years?
(a) That Thérèse would come and they could be together again.
(b) That Thérèse is dead.
(c) That Baptiste is the man she loves.
(d) That the house belongs to her.
2. What does Léonie imagine she will do?
(a) She will make up her own rules when she is an adult.
(b) Become a doctor and save people from cancer.
(c) Learn how to knit.
(d) Become like Florence Nightingale and help sick people.
3. What is one game the girls play?
(c) All for Love.
4. What happens when the two girls return from the roof?
(a) They fall asleep in each other's arms.
(b) They fight over who gets what side of the bed.
(c) Thérèse begins her first menstrual cycle.
(d) They play a game of checkers.
5. Why does Victorine still hate the Germans?
(a) For what they did to Rose Taillé.
(b) Because they razed the wheat fields one summer and thus many starve that winter.
(c) Because they raped her and killed her grandmother.
(d) Because they killed all the Jews in the town.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to what the girls bring up from the cellar?
2. What does Léonie enjoy?
3. What are the ladies discussing when the two girls decide to go down to the cellar?
4. What does the person who had a German officer as a lover now do?
5. How much longer does Antoinette live?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Antoinette's wasted and emaciated body trigger feelings within Thérèse of her own body image as evidenced in the chapter "The Pillows"?
2. How does Léonie symbolically enter the adult world in the chapter titled "The Ironing Board"?
3. The burning of objects occur repeatedly throughout this novel, the first idea of this occurring in the chapter "The Altar." What do you think could be the symbolism behind the burning of various objects?
4. What story does Léonie tell Baptiste and what is his response?
5. What in the chapter, "The Recipe Book," suggests that prejudice still exists against the Jews?
6. In the chapter "The Green Scarf," how does the celebration in the woods contrast to that of organized religion?
7. What is the symbolism of Thérèse dumping Antoinette's letters into the stove to burn?
8. How is the occupation of the Germans described in "The Carpets"?
9. In the chapter, "The Quimper Dish, what do you think is the reason behind Thérèse's sudden "illness"?
10. What do you think that the emptiness in the air about Léonie means?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)