|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the girls bring up from the cellar?
(a) Three garlic cloves for the cook.
(b) An old wine bottle.
(c) Two baby mice.
(d) Red velvet shoe.
2. Why does Thérèse refuse to eat?
(a) Because there is a famine at the time.
(b) Because her father is not there.
(c) Because her mother is not eating.
(d) Because she feels ugly and overweight.
3. What does Thérèse notice that Léonie has done?
(a) Knitted stockings for Thérèse.
(b) Taken care in setting the table.
(c) Started allowing the cats and dogs in the house.
(d) Put old sheets on her bed.
4. How is the farmhouse described?
(a) As changeable.
(b) As a rickety old building.
(c) As common.
(d) As a safe haven.
5. What does Léonie tell the house?
(a) That she is glad her aunt is dead.
(b) That she wishes she inherits this house.
(c) That she is sad for Louis.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Baptiste supposedly despise Thérèse?
2. How do the girls "doctor" each other?
3. What does Louis suffer after Antoinette dies?
4. Of what is Thérèse's bag full?
5. What does Thérèse do for her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What in the chapter, "The Recipe Book," suggests that prejudice still exists against the Jews?
2. Describe Thérèse's dream of Antoinette.
3. What do you think that the emptiness in the air about Léonie means?
4. In the chapter, "The Oranges," what problem do you think Léonie is really trying to resolve when she is juggling the oranges or thinking of the magpies?
5. In the previous chapter, the reader notices that Léonie embraces physicality as seen by her fascination with defecation; in the chapter, "The Frying Pan," what does it seem that Thérèse embraces?
6. In the chapter, "The Holdall," how does what Léonie finds while going through Thérèse's things demonstrate the differences between the two women?
7. What does Thérèse notice in the graveyard in the chapter "The Doorbell"?
8. Describe Thérèse's first tour of the house as shown in "The Buffet." What is ironic about one of her thoughts?
9. Who is Thérèse manipulating in the chapter, "The Dust," and why do you think she does this?
10. How is the occupation of the Germans described in "The Carpets"?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)