|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what is Thérèse's bag full?
(b) Knitting wool.
(d) Books about Jewish history and customs.
2. Who has died at the beginning of Chapter 22?
(b) Soeur Dosithée.
3. What does Léonie dream in the nightmare at the beginning of Chapter 18?
(a) That Madeleine's head is rolling down the cellar steps.
(b) That she is about to be buried alive in the cellar.
(c) That Thérèse nails Léonie to a cross.
(d) That Antoinette's red suitcase is tied up in scarlet cloth.
4. What does Léonie tell the house?
(a) That she wishes she inherits this house.
(c) That she is sad for Louis.
(d) That she is glad her aunt is dead.
5. What does Madeleine tell her daughter about the daughter's father, Maurice?
(a) That he loves his daughter very much.
(b) That he was a German collaborator.
(c) How Louis and Maurice were friends and how Maurice helped hide the villagers' wine in the cellar.
(d) That he deserts the family and goes to the United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who claims to see the devil hiding behind the curtains?
2. What does Thérèse notice as the only things that have changed?
3. Who convinces Thérèse to eat?
4. Why does Victorine still hate the Germans?
5. What does Antoinette describe in the letters?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the occupation of the Germans described in "The Carpets"?
2. Describe the vision experience that Thérèse has in this chapter.
3. In the chapter, "The Quimper Dish, what do you think is the reason behind Thérèse's sudden "illness"?
4. In the chapter, "The Holdall," how does what Léonie finds while going through Thérèse's things demonstrate the differences between the two women?
5. What do you think is the significance of Thérèse's threat of "the silent treatment" to Léonie?
6. How is the relationship between Baptiste and Léonie developed in this chapter?
7. How do Therèse's actions in this chapter, "The Fish Kettle," foreshadow her decision to become a nun?
8. In the chapter, "The Dustpan," what is Thérèse's "public" version of why she broke the Quimper dish and what is evident later as to why she breaks it?
9. What story does Léonie tell Baptiste and what is his response?
10. What in the chapter, "The Recipe Book," suggests that prejudice still exists against the Jews?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)