|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Madeleine defend Léonie's action of going down to the cellar?
(a) Because Léonie is her daughter.
(b) Because Madeleine asks Léonie to go get some wine from the cellar.
(c) Because Madeleine thinks everyone picks on Léonie.
(d) She tells Antoinette that Léonie was just curious because of a story Madeleine has told Léonie.
2. Who took the photograph of Léonie and Thérèse?
(d) Soi Maria.
3. Who of the Germans stays at the Martin estate during the war?
(a) Only the section administrator.
(b) The officers.
(d) The ranking enlisted and officers.
4. How does Thérèse arrive?
(a) By carrige.
(b) By plane.
(c) By bus.
(d) On foot.
5. After Madeleine defends Léonie, how does Antoinette act?
(a) She insists that Léonie be whipped.
(b) She forbids anyone to go down into the cellar anymore.
(c) She smiles and says it's alright.
(d) She is still clearly upset.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Louis suffer after Antoinette dies?
2. What does Léonie dream in the nightmare at the beginning of Chapter 18?
3. What color of eyes does everyone in the area seem to have?
4. What does Antoinette do under the influence of morphine?
5. How does Léonie help Louis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is foreshadowed in the chapter "The Baby Book"?
2. Describe how the church is decorated for the upcoming festival and what is perhaps a bit odd about that.
3. How do you think the reaction of Antoinette in the chapter "The Sofa," is related to her reaction to Léonie's previous venture to the cellar in "The Cellar Key"?
4. What does Thérèse notice in the graveyard in the chapter "The Doorbell"?
5. What is the memory that Léonie intuits?
6. What is symbolized by Léonie's lying in the woods and undressing to have sex with Baptiste?
7. How, in "The Dust," does Léonie's actions foreshadow her eventual life as wife and mother and living at the Martin property?
8. What story does Léonie tell Baptiste and what is his response?
9. In the chapter, "The Dustpan," what is Thérèse's "public" version of why she broke the Quimper dish and what is evident later as to why she breaks it?
10. What might the lava image which Thérèse images in "The Rosary," mean to Thérèse?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)