|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the two girls go downstairs, what do they find?
(a) Antoinette has died and Louis is sleeping with his head against Madeleine's shoulder.
(b) Madeleine singing the Hail Mary.
(c) Antoinette is feeling very much better.
(d) Louis is giving his wife a sip of water.
2. Who relishes her breakfast the next morning though Louis and Thérèse refuse to eat?
3. Where do Thérèse and Léonie walk?
(a) Into the kitchen.
(b) Upstairs to the library.
(c) Into the living room.
(d) Into the conservatory.
4. About what do the hosts and guest sit in the salon and talk?
5. What does Thérèse notice that Léonie has done?
(a) Started allowing the cats and dogs in the house.
(b) Knitted stockings for Thérèse.
(c) Put old sheets on her bed.
(d) Taken care in setting the table.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Léonie still use?
2. What does Louis suffer after Antoinette dies?
3. What has Léonie pretended for 20 years?
4. Who took the photograph of Léonie and Thérèse?
5. What does Antoinette wish?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of Thérèse dumping Antoinette's letters into the stove to burn?
2. What about her mother's impending death seems to be of greatest concern to Thérèse in the chapter "The Statue of the Virgin"?
3. Who is Thérèse manipulating in the chapter, "The Dust," and why do you think she does this?
4. How do you think the reaction of Antoinette in the chapter "The Sofa," is related to her reaction to Léonie's previous venture to the cellar in "The Cellar Key"?
5. How is it intimated that parts of the house are "open," and other parts "secreted," just as the two girls are open in some ways and secretive in others?
6. What is symbolized by Léonie's lying in the woods and undressing to have sex with Baptiste?
7. In the chapter, "The Quimper Dish, what do you think is the reason behind Thérèse's sudden "illness"?
8. How does Antoinette's wasted and emaciated body trigger feelings within Thérèse of her own body image as evidenced in the chapter "The Pillows"?
9. In the chapter, "The Coffee Bowls," how do you think Léonie is symbolically similar to the house?
10. How do Therèse's actions in this chapter, "The Fish Kettle," foreshadow her decision to become a nun?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)