|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Antoinette wish?
(a) That Henri had lived to see the girls.
(b) That Antoinette had married Thérèse's father.
(c) That the girls are not so fair-haired.
(d) That the girls were sisters.
2. What does Antoinette do under the influence of morphine?
(a) Sleeps as if dead.
(b) Tells Louis that he is not her husband.
(c) Has nightmares and moves in her sleep.
(d) They did not have morphine at that time.
3. What does Thérèse do as she walks through the house?
(a) Sits and remembers her childhood in each room.
(b) Decides what she wants from each room.
(c) Tells Henri about each piece of furniture.
(d) Turns lights on and off in the rooms.
4. When the two girls go downstairs, what do they find?
(a) Louis is giving his wife a sip of water.
(b) Madeleine singing the Hail Mary.
(c) Antoinette has died and Louis is sleeping with his head against Madeleine's shoulder.
(d) Antoinette is feeling very much better.
5. Why has Thérèse come to the farmhouse?
(a) She hopes to forgive Léonie.
(b) She is planning to sell the farmhouse.
(c) She is thinking of leaving the monastery and that there is some unfinished business to which she must attend.
(d) She feels homesick.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Léonie enjoy?
2. What is the name of Léonie's mother?
3. What do the two girls do to save the "dead" baby doll?
4. Who has died at the beginning of Chapter 22?
5. What does the specialist say about Antoinette's breast cancer?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the chapter, "The Oranges," what problem do you think Léonie is really trying to resolve when she is juggling the oranges or thinking of the magpies?
2. How does Léonie symbolically enter the adult world in the chapter titled "The Ironing Board"?
3. What do you think the wind Léonie feels means?
4. How is the occupation of the Germans described in "The Carpets"?
5. The chapter titled, "The Water Bottle" is dense with imagery. Identify two of the images and what they might represent.
6. Describe how the church is decorated for the upcoming festival and what is perhaps a bit odd about that.
7. Describe Thérèse's first tour of the house as shown in "The Buffet." What is ironic about one of her thoughts?
8. To what do you think Léonie's dream in "The Red Suitcase," is related and of what do you think the suitcase is symbolic?
9. What is the memory that Léonie intuits?
10. What in the chapter, "The Recipe Book," suggests that prejudice still exists against the Jews?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)