|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the girls "doctor" each other?
(a) Tie the patient to the bed.
(b) They are only doctoring the doll.
(c) Force castor oil down the throat.
(d) Wrap themselves in bandages.
2. When Léonie awakens, what does she realize?
(a) She has wet her bed.
(b) She is too scared to scream.
(c) The window has opened on its own.
(d) She is not alone in the bed.
3. Who relishes her breakfast the next morning though Louis and Thérèse refuse to eat?
4. Upon what four things in the catechism does Thérèse concentrate?
(a) Death, sacrifice, angels, heaven.
(b) Death, judgment, angels, sacrifice.
(c) Death, sin, heaven and angels.
(d) Death, judgment, heaven, and hell.
5. How does Léonie help Louis?
(a) Spreading horse manure.
(b) Raking the orchard.
(c) Pulling weeds.
(d) Picking blueberries.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the new priest do when he arrives in the town near the farmhouse?
2. How does Antoinette say Madeleine must raise Léonie?
3. Why has Thérèse come to the farmhouse?
4. Who tells Thérèse to get up off the floor?
5. The novel begins with the description of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How, in "The Dust," does Léonie's actions foreshadow her eventual life as wife and mother and living at the Martin property?
2. To what do you think Léonie's dream in "The Red Suitcase," is related and of what do you think the suitcase is symbolic?
3. In an agreement to exchange secrets, Thérèse allows Léonie to read one of Thérèse's letters from Antoinette to her older sister in the convent. Do you think Thérèse is actually revealing a secret?
4. What is the memory that Léonie intuits?
5. How is the occupation of the Germans described in "The Carpets"?
6. Do you think either woman is more innocent in the way they interact here in the chapter titled "The Cigarette?"
7. How is it intimated that parts of the house are "open," and other parts "secreted," just as the two girls are open in some ways and secretive in others?
8. What about her mother's impending death seems to be of greatest concern to Thérèse in the chapter "The Statue of the Virgin"?
9. How is the dream connected to Léonie's dream in the first chapter?
10. What clues in the chapter "The Biscuit Tin" suggest that Thérèse is a product of Antoinette being raped by a German Nazi soldier?
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)