|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Victorine takes Léonie and Thérèse into the woods?
(a) To teach them woods lore.
(b) To have them help her plant more apple trees.
(c) To pick berries.
(d) To show them their ancestors' graves.
2. What does Louis suffer after Antoinette dies?
(a) Feelings of guilt since he had been tired of caring for her.
(b) Feelings of confusion.
(c) A period of intense grief.
(d) A feeling of relief.
3. What is one game the girls play?
(b) All for Love.
4. How is the farmhouse described?
(a) As a rickety old building.
(b) As a safe haven.
(c) As changeable.
(d) As common.
5. What does Léonie enjoy?
(a) Being a foreigner for a change.
(b) Teasing Thérèse unmercifully.
(c) Brushing her hair one-hundred strokes every night.
(d) Climbing the apple tree everyday while visiting Thérèse.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much longer does Antoinette live?
2. When is Léonie's birthday?
3. What do the two girls do to save the "dead" baby doll?
4. Who kept the letters Antoinette sent to her during Thérèse's infancy?
5. What is the name of Léonie's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the two bakeries mentioned in "The Bread Basket" represent the same situation as that of Léonie and Thérèse?
2. What do you think that the emptiness in the air about Léonie means?
3. What story does Léonie tell Baptiste and what is his response?
4. Describe the vision experience that Thérèse has in this chapter.
5. What do you think is the significance of Thérèse's threat of "the silent treatment" to Léonie?
6. What hint is there in the chapter, "The Cellar Key," that something about the cellar upsets Antoinette?
7. What do you think is symbolic about the dinner the two women share?
8. In the chapter, "The Holdall," how does what Léonie finds while going through Thérèse's things demonstrate the differences between the two women?
9. In "The Cake Tin," what can be implied about Victorine's attitudes towards Jews?
10. Who is Thérèse manipulating in the chapter, "The Dust," and why do you think she does this?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)