|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thérèse notice as the only things that have changed?
(a) The curtins.
(b) The appliances.
(c) The wallpaper.
(d) The bedspreades.
2. When the two girls go downstairs, what do they find?
(a) Antoinette has died and Louis is sleeping with his head against Madeleine's shoulder.
(b) Louis is giving his wife a sip of water.
(c) Madeleine singing the Hail Mary.
(d) Antoinette is feeling very much better.
3. Who was willing to take on a German officer as a lover?
(a) One of the village girls who came to help with chores at the house was billeted in the back bedroom.
4. What happens when Léonie goes down to the cellar floor?
(a) She finds bones.
(b) She meets an elderly man.
(c) She sees hundreds of bottles of wine.
(d) Her light goes out.
5. What does Thérèse do for her mother?
(a) She makes herself suffer in small ways so that her mother will suffer less in purgatory.
(b) Combs and braids her hair everyday.
(c) Reads to her in bed.
(d) Takes her tea three times a day.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Thérèse bang her head against the floor?
2. Why is Léonie afraid of being alone in the room where she is sleeping?
3. Of what is Antionette's mouth full?
4. When is Léonie's birthday?
5. What does Thérèse notice that Léonie has done?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the relationship between Baptiste and Léonie developed in this chapter?
2. What task do you believe is now set before Léonie?
3. What in "The Ivory Ring" chapter foreshadows Thérèse's despondency about her mother's death and her father transferring his affection to Madeleine?
4. What so you think is the symbolism attached to Thérèse jumping free of her burning clothes?
5. The burning of objects occur repeatedly throughout this novel, the first idea of this occurring in the chapter "The Altar." What do you think could be the symbolism behind the burning of various objects?
6. What might the lava image which Thérèse images in "The Rosary," mean to Thérèse?
7. What rather strange and perhaps a bit disturbing fact is revealed about Léonie in this chapter?
8. Describe the first few minutes of Thérèse and Léonie's time together as described in "The Chandelier."
9. What is foreshadowed in the chapter "The Baby Book"?
10. In the chapter, "The Silver Cake Tray," what do you think is the significance of the shrine?
This section contains 1,315 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)