|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who took the photograph of Léonie and Thérèse?
(d) Soi Maria.
2. Why does Thérèse refuse to eat?
(a) Because she feels ugly and overweight.
(b) Because there is a famine at the time.
(c) Because her father is not there.
(d) Because her mother is not eating.
3. Why does Baptiste supposedly despise Thérèse?
(a) For encouraging him to marry Léonie.
(b) For listening to him and Léonie making love many years ago.
(c) Because he hates her father.
(d) Because she rejects his marriage proposal many years ago.
4. What does the new priest do when he arrives in the town near the farmhouse?
(a) Consecrates the shrine.
(b) Adds a cross to the shrine's altar.
(c) He puts an end to the worship at the shrine, as well as to the dancing and festivities.
(d) Has the shrine completely obliterated.
5. What does Antoinette wish?
(a) That Henri had lived to see the girls.
(b) That the girls were sisters.
(c) That the girls are not so fair-haired.
(d) That Antoinette had married Thérèse's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what do the hosts and guest sit in the salon and talk?
2. What do the two girls do to save the "dead" baby doll?
3. Why does Madeleine defend Léonie's action of going down to the cellar?
4. When the two girls go downstairs, what do they find?
5. Who kept the letters Antoinette sent to her during Thérèse's infancy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the relationship between Baptiste and Léonie developed in this chapter?
2. In an agreement to exchange secrets, Thérèse allows Léonie to read one of Thérèse's letters from Antoinette to her older sister in the convent. Do you think Thérèse is actually revealing a secret?
3. What so you think is the symbolism attached to Thérèse jumping free of her burning clothes?
4. In "The Onyx Ashtray," what are the ways the Priest conspires to keep the knowledge about the found bones from becoming a focus for the media?
5. In "The Cake Tin," what can be implied about Victorine's attitudes towards Jews?
6. Do you think either woman is more innocent in the way they interact here in the chapter titled "The Cigarette?"
7. How is the occupation of the Germans described in "The Carpets"?
8. In the chapter, "The Holdall," how does what Léonie finds while going through Thérèse's things demonstrate the differences between the two women?
9. What do you think is the significance of Thérèse's threat of "the silent treatment" to Léonie?
10. How does Antoinette's wasted and emaciated body trigger feelings within Thérèse of her own body image as evidenced in the chapter "The Pillows"?
This section contains 1,191 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)