|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thérèse do for her mother?
(a) She makes herself suffer in small ways so that her mother will suffer less in purgatory.
(b) Combs and braids her hair everyday.
(c) Reads to her in bed.
(d) Takes her tea three times a day.
2. How does Thérèse arrive?
(a) By plane.
(b) By bus.
(c) By carrige.
(d) On foot.
3. Who is staring angrily at Thérèse as the front door opens?
(a) No one.
4. How do the girls "doctor" each other?
(a) Tie the patient to the bed.
(b) They are only doctoring the doll.
(c) Wrap themselves in bandages.
(d) Force castor oil down the throat.
5. What does the new priest do when he arrives in the town near the farmhouse?
(a) Has the shrine completely obliterated.
(b) He puts an end to the worship at the shrine, as well as to the dancing and festivities.
(c) Adds a cross to the shrine's altar.
(d) Consecrates the shrine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where will Thérèse sleep?
2. When the two girls go downstairs, what do they find?
3. What has Léonie been doing while Thérèse has been in the convent?
4. What does Léonie do with Thérèse's things?
5. With what is Léonie fascinated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think is the significance of Thérèse's threat of "the silent treatment" to Léonie?
2. What so you think is the symbolism attached to Thérèse jumping free of her burning clothes?
3. Briefly describe the scene about the broth and discuss its possible symbolism in the chapter "The Slotted Spoon."
4. What is foreshadowed in the chapter "The Baby Book"?
5. How do Therèse's actions in this chapter, "The Fish Kettle," foreshadow her decision to become a nun?
6. What hint is there in the chapter, "The Cellar Key," that something about the cellar upsets Antoinette?
7. What in the chapter, "The Recipe Book," suggests that prejudice still exists against the Jews?
8. What is the memory that Léonie intuits?
9. Describe Thérèse's first tour of the house as shown in "The Buffet." What is ironic about one of her thoughts?
10. In "The Gray Silk Nightshirt," as the two women sit and chat in Thérèse's room, what is revealed overtly or implied about their relationship and each woman as individuals?
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)