|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thérèse find when she goes to the clearing looking for Léonie?
(a) The black stag.
(b) Baptiste killing a kitten.
(c) Léonie kneeling by a rock.
(d) The woman that Léonie had described.
2. What does Antoinette do under the influence of morphine?
(a) They did not have morphine at that time.
(b) Tells Louis that he is not her husband.
(c) Has nightmares and moves in her sleep.
(d) Sleeps as if dead.
3. What does Léonie dream in the nightmare at the beginning of Chapter 18?
(a) That Thérèse nails Léonie to a cross.
(b) That Madeleine's head is rolling down the cellar steps.
(c) That Antoinette's red suitcase is tied up in scarlet cloth.
(d) That she is about to be buried alive in the cellar.
4. Who claims to see the devil hiding behind the curtains?
5. What does Léonie enjoy?
(a) Climbing the apple tree everyday while visiting Thérèse.
(b) Teasing Thérèse unmercifully.
(c) Being a foreigner for a change.
(d) Brushing her hair one-hundred strokes every night.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Antoinette say Madeleine must raise Léonie?
2. What does Louis suffer after Antoinette dies?
3. Who convinces Thérèse to eat?
4. When the two girls go downstairs, what do they find?
5. What does Thérèse do when her mother takes her home at a year and a half?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of Thérèse dumping Antoinette's letters into the stove to burn?
2. What do you think that the emptiness in the air about Léonie means?
3. Describe the nightmare with which the chapter "The Wall" opens.
4. What do you think the wind Léonie feels means?
5. In "The Writing Table," what is Léonie doing on the advice of her lawyer and why?
6. What is the memory that Léonie intuits?
7. In "The Cake Tin," what can be implied about Victorine's attitudes towards Jews?
8. How do the two bakeries mentioned in "The Bread Basket" represent the same situation as that of Léonie and Thérèse?
9. In the chapter, "The Holdall," how does what Léonie finds while going through Thérèse's things demonstrate the differences between the two women?
10. In an agreement to exchange secrets, Thérèse allows Léonie to read one of Thérèse's letters from Antoinette to her older sister in the convent. Do you think Thérèse is actually revealing a secret?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)