|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of whom does Thérèse dream?
2. About what does Thérèse become upset?
(a) Madeleine is sitting on the side of Louis's bed.
(b) Madeleine is serving Louis broth.
(c) Léonie is serving Louis broth.
(d) Léonie pulls the cookie jar toward her and begins reading a letter.
3. What does Léonie think has stopped running?
(a) The grandfather clock downstairs.
(b) Her mother's old alarm clock.
(c) Her bath water.
(d) The water pump.
4. Who admits breaking the Quimper bowl?
5. What does Victorine tell Léonie?
(a) The possibility of the bones belonging to Jews killed by the Nazis.
(b) That Rose is actually Thérèse's mother.
(c) How her mother came to marry an Englishman.
(d) Why Louis intends to move to India.
6. What does Thérèse say Léonie can do?
(a) Rub her back that night.
(b) Read one carefully-chosen letter.
(c) Meet Baptiste that night in the chapel.
(d) Go and pray at the shrine.
7. What does Léonie do when she's feeling the way she is at the moment?
(a) Goes to confession.
(c) Takes an inventory of the objects in the house.
(d) Drinks two cups of coffee.
8. Who suffers a minor stroke?
9. What bothers Léonie?
(a) Léonie is wary of Thérèse's motives and feels that Thérèse is here to stir up painful secrets from the past.
(b) That Baptiste is not here to take up for Léonie.
(c) That Thérèse wants the house and for Léonie to move.
(d) That Thérèse does not want to stay with her.
10. What does Thérèse tell Léonie?
(a) That Léonie is sacreligious.
(b) How the Our Lady spoke to her.
(c) That Léonie should go into a convent.
(d) That Léonie could never be a Catholic.
11. For what does Thérèse ask Louis' permission?
(a) To travel abroad.
(b) To enter a convent when she is sixteen.
(c) To go to England with her cousin.
(d) To marry Baptiste.
12. What does Léonie do in a fit of anger?
(a) Dumps Thérèse's letters in a stove wherein they burn up.
(b) Leaves dinner in the middle of the main course.
(c) Throws soup in Thérèse's face.
(d) Screams swear words at Thérèse.
13. What doesn't Léonie like?
(a) Staying on the farm in the summers.
(b) Being forced to share her secrets with her mother.
(c) Having to be nice to Thérèse.
(d) Objects without names.
14. Who does Baptiste kiss?
(a) The bakery girl.
(b) An Italian girl who is visiting.
15. Who betrays Henri and Rose to the Nazis?
(a) The bakery girl.
(b) A disgruntled farm hand.
(c) It is never learned who is the informant.
(d) The Priest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the consequence of Henri's death?
2. Over what does Léonie feel cowardly?
3. About what has Léonie discouraged her daughters?
4. Where has Thérèse gone?
5. When Thérèse wakes up where does she go?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)