|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is juggling oranges?
2. For what does Madeleine scold Thérèse?
(a) For burning the fish soup.
(b) For inviting Baptiste to dinner.
(c) For letting her cousin read Antoinette's letter.
(d) For upsetting her father on his first day home.
3. With what is the back room filled?
(b) Old newspapers.
(c) Maurice's old things.
(d) Linens and clothing.
4. Why does Thérèse feel triumphant?
(a) For besting Léonie in a game of wait and see.
(b) For running Léonie off the farm.
(c) For fooling the Priest about her visions.
(d) For figuring out the secret Léonie has kept all these years.
5. Who did Thérèse substitute for her mother after her mother dies?
(d) The Virgin Mary.
6. What does Thérèse uncover in the basement?
(a) Thérèse's letters she thought had burned.
(b) The other red velvet shoe that belongs to Antoinette.
(c) The original statue of the Virgin Mary.
(d) A pile of bones.
7. What does Thérèse scream as she runs out of the church?
8. What does Thérèse feel the bishop and the others want?
(a) Something that she has--her proximity to the divine through her vision of the Virgin Mary.
(b) Inheritance to the farm.
(c) Her mother's letters.
(d) The buried statue.
9. What have Thérèse and Léonie given Victorine for her birthday?
(a) A green scarf.
(b) A plate of cookies.
(c) An apple pie.
(d) A small opera purse.
10. What information does Thérèse not believe from reading the letters?
(a) That she is the Priest's daughter.
(b) That she has tantrums as a child.
(c) That she was almost put up for adoption.
(d) That she is really Henri's child.
11. About what is Thérèse being hurt?
(a) That her cousin suggest that Rose was the informer.
(b) That her cousin does not attend her vows ceremony.
(c) Thérèse is not hurt.
(d) That her cousin has rejected the Catholic church.
12. What does Madeleine discourage Léonie from doing?
(a) Being mean to her cousin.
(b) Being friendly with Baptiste.
(c) Disobeying her uncle.
(d) Associating with those of a lower social standing.
13. What does Thérèse do as Léonie drinks her broth?
(a) Hopes the Priest will catch them exchanging secrets.
(b) Hopes Léonie chokes on her broth.
(c) Watches Léonie read her letter.
(d) Watches Léonie strain the vegetables.
14. What story does Léonie tell Baptiste?
(a) That Madeleine is marrying Louis.
(b) That Rose is Thérèse's mother.
(c) That Thérèse believes the two girls are sisters.
(d) That Thérèse has left to go to a convent.
15. What does Victorine assume?
(a) That Thérèse has gone to spend time with Louis on his first day home from hospital.
(b) That Louis and Madeleine will eventually marry.
(c) That Baptiste and Léonie will eventually marry.
(d) That she and Louis may eventually marry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is missing from the photographs?
2. Who suffers a minor stroke?
3. What does Léonie ask her mother?
4. In what do the two women engage at the breakfast table?
5. For what is Léonie searching when she moves forward through the room?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)