|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At whom is Baptiste angry?
(a) At Madeleine for forbiding Léonie to talk to him.
(b) At Léonie for not listening to him.
(c) At the Germans for killing his father.
(d) At the Priest for embarrassing him.
2. What is the interior of the priest's house like?
(a) Light and airy.
(b) Decorated like it was the home of a soldier rather than a priest.
(c) Filled with religious icons.
(d) Dark and bleak.
3. Who puts on a show of having a vision for the villagers?
4. Where has Thérèse gone?
(a) To the village.
(b) To a convent.
(c) To boarding school.
(d) To the cellar to meet a boy.
5. What does the priest accept from Madeleine for which Thérèse judges him a bit harshly?
(b) A cigarette.
(c) A glass of sherry.
(d) A large piece of cake.
6. How is Thérèse in competition with Madeleine?
(a) In who can disgrace the Priest worse.
(b) In gaining her father's attention.
(c) She is in competition with Léonie.
(d) In who can cook the best goose.
7. What does Léonie think has stopped running?
(a) Her mother's old alarm clock.
(b) The water pump.
(c) Her bath water.
(d) The grandfather clock downstairs.
8. What does Léonie offer to appease her cousin?
(a) To pray with her in the chapel.
(b) To make up her hair.
(c) To go to town and get her some candy.
(d) To trade secrets.
9. What is Louis doing in his workshop?
(a) Sleeping in the sun.
(b) Handling pieces of the Quimper bowl.
(c) Talking with Madeleine about Antoinette.
(d) Leading the bull to the cow pasture.
10. Why does Thérèse feel triumphant?
(a) For running Léonie off the farm.
(b) For fooling the Priest about her visions.
(c) For figuring out the secret Léonie has kept all these years.
(d) For besting Léonie in a game of wait and see.
11. For what does Thérèse ask Louis' permission?
(a) To go to England with her cousin.
(b) To marry Baptiste.
(c) To travel abroad.
(d) To enter a convent when she is sixteen.
12. What story does Léonie tell Baptiste?
(a) That Thérèse believes the two girls are sisters.
(b) That Rose is Thérèse's mother.
(c) That Thérèse has left to go to a convent.
(d) That Madeleine is marrying Louis.
13. What does Léonie do in a fit of anger?
(a) Dumps Thérèse's letters in a stove wherein they burn up.
(b) Leaves dinner in the middle of the main course.
(c) Screams swear words at Thérèse.
(d) Throws soup in Thérèse's face.
14. What does Madeleine think the priest wants to have hushed up?
(a) The fact that the shrine has been the scene of visions.
(b) The fact that he has aided the Nazis.
(c) The fact that the Priest smokes.
(d) The situation with the bones and the shrine.
15. What does Léonie decide to do at the upcoming inquiry?
(a) Leave town before it starts.
(b) Give names.
(c) Stage a protest.
(d) Stay quiet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suffers a minor stroke?
2. For what does Madeleine scold Thérèse?
3. What word do both women call out simultaneously as Léonie leaves the room?
4. How does Thérèse feel towards the Bishop?
5. Who wants to speak to Thérèse and her father?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)