|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Léonie do in a fit of anger?
(a) Dumps Thérèse's letters in a stove wherein they burn up.
(b) Leaves dinner in the middle of the main course.
(c) Screams swear words at Thérèse.
(d) Throws soup in Thérèse's face.
2. What bothers Léonie?
(a) That Thérèse does not want to stay with her.
(b) That Baptiste is not here to take up for Léonie.
(c) That Thérèse wants the house and for Léonie to move.
(d) Léonie is wary of Thérèse's motives and feels that Thérèse is here to stir up painful secrets from the past.
3. What does Thérèse assume is Léonie's secret?
(a) About the baby Antoinette gives up for adoption.
(b) About Baptiste's crush on Thérèse.
(c) About Léonie meeting a village boy in the woods.
(d) About what happens to the kittens.
4. Where does Léonie go and lie down?
(a) In her room.
(b) In the barn.
(c) In the church on a pew.
(d) On a strip of grass near the shrine.
5. About whom does Thérèse have violent dreams?
(c) Léonie .
6. Who wants to show Léonie something?
7. For what does Madeleine scold Thérèse?
(a) For upsetting her father on his first day home.
(b) For burning the fish soup.
(c) For letting her cousin read Antoinette's letter.
(d) For inviting Baptiste to dinner.
8. What does Thérèse do as Léonie drinks her broth?
(a) Hopes Léonie chokes on her broth.
(b) Hopes the Priest will catch them exchanging secrets.
(c) Watches Léonie strain the vegetables.
(d) Watches Léonie read her letter.
9. What does Léonie do with a stream of sand in Thérèse's dream?
(a) Spells a word over Léonie's body.
(b) Spells a word over Rose's body.
(c) Spells a word over Louis's body which is lying dead.
(d) Spells a word over Antoinette's body which is lying dead.
10. Who does Baptiste kiss?
(a) An Italian girl who is visiting.
(d) The bakery girl.
11. What does Thérèse scream as she runs out of the church?
12. When Thérèse wakes up where does she go?
(a) Downstairs to look at photographs.
(b) To the attic.
(c) To the shrine.
(d) To the chapel.
13. What does Madeleine think the priest wants to have hushed up?
(a) The fact that the Priest smokes.
(b) The fact that the shrine has been the scene of visions.
(c) The situation with the bones and the shrine.
(d) The fact that he has aided the Nazis.
14. Who wants to speak to Thérèse and her father?
(a) The priest.
(b) The sheriff.
(c) The baker.
15. Over what does Léonie feel cowardly?
(a) The vandalism at the gravesite.
(b) Giving Thérèse a room to live in.
(c) Confronting her mother about who her father is.
(d) Telling Thérèse off.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story does Léonie tell Baptiste?
2. Who meets Léonie in the woods?
3. Who does Thérèse say she must go help?
4. What is Louis doing in his workshop?
5. What word do both women call out simultaneously as Léonie leaves the room?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)