|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the priest accept from Madeleine for which Thérèse judges him a bit harshly?
(a) A glass of sherry.
(b) A large piece of cake.
(c) A cigarette.
2. What word do both women call out simultaneously as Léonie leaves the room?
3. What does Thérèse learn about her mother?
(a) That she at one time was going to move to the United States.
(b) That she has a German lover.
(c) That she was probably raped by Germans and Thérèse is a result of that.
(d) That Louis is her first cousin.
4. About what has Léonie discouraged her daughters?
(a) Going to the woods alone.
(b) Becoming a nun.
(c) Getting married too young.
(d) Spending time in the back room.
5. What does Léonie do when she's feeling the way she is at the moment?
(a) Goes to confession.
(c) Drinks two cups of coffee.
(d) Takes an inventory of the objects in the house.
6. Who tells the story about the bones, Jewish family, and Henri?
7. How is the church decorated?
(a) For a funeral.
(b) For the harvest festival mass.
(c) For Thanksgiving.
(d) For Yuletide.
8. What is the consequence of Henri's death?
(a) Rose has a child who is stillborn because of her grief.
(b) Rose goes into the convent.
(c) Antoinette allows Rose to keep Thérèse for her first year and a half.
(d) The Nazi Major is killed by some villagers.
9. What are the workmen doing when they find a shallow grave with a heap of bones?
(a) Dismantling the shrine in the clearing.
(b) Erecting a statue in front of the church.
(c) Burying a Nazi uniform covering a machine gun.
(d) Burying a chest of fake gold coins.
10. What does Léonie allow Baptiste to do?
(a) Watch him go to the bathroom.
(b) Make love to her.
(c) Kiss her.
(d) Lead her to the new grave for the discovered bones.
11. What story does Léonie tell Baptiste?
(a) That Madeleine is marrying Louis.
(b) That Thérèse has left to go to a convent.
(c) That Rose is Thérèse's mother.
(d) That Thérèse believes the two girls are sisters.
12. What is the interior of the priest's house like?
(a) Light and airy.
(b) Decorated like it was the home of a soldier rather than a priest.
(c) Dark and bleak.
(d) Filled with religious icons.
13. Who admits breaking the Quimper bowl?
14. Of whom does Thérèse dream?
15. Who did Thérèse substitute for her mother after her mother dies?
(d) The Virgin Mary.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is nearby when Thérèse experiences a vision?
2. To what does Thérèse set fire?
3. What does Thérèse do as Léonie drinks her broth?
4. Who meets Léonie in the woods?
5. Who wants to show Léonie something?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)