|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what do both women accuse the other?
(a) Of harboring secrets that should have been revealed.
(b) Of being self-interested and for not caring about the Jewish family whose fate was sealed at the Martin estate.
(c) Of hating each other's mothers.
(d) Of being in love with the other woman.
2. Who keeps the central portion of the Quimper bowl?
3. What does Léonie do in a fit of anger?
(a) Dumps Thérèse's letters in a stove wherein they burn up.
(b) Screams swear words at Thérèse.
(c) Leaves dinner in the middle of the main course.
(d) Throws soup in Thérèse's face.
4. To what does Thérèse set fire?
(a) The Bible.
(b) The bell tower.
(c) The Communion wafers.
(d) The wreaths and other flora in the church.
5. What does Thérèse do with the package?
(a) Hides it.
(b) Gives the package to the gardener.
(c) Gives one book to Léonie and keeps one for herself.
(d) Gives the package to the woodsman.
6. Who is nearby when Thérèse experiences a vision?
(a) No one.
(d) The priest, the bishop, and some villagers.
7. What does Léonie do when she's feeling the way she is at the moment?
(b) Goes to confession.
(c) Takes an inventory of the objects in the house.
(d) Drinks two cups of coffee.
8. What does Thérèse say Léonie can do?
(a) Meet Baptiste that night in the chapel.
(b) Go and pray at the shrine.
(c) Read one carefully-chosen letter.
(d) Rub her back that night.
9. What does the priest accept from Madeleine for which Thérèse judges him a bit harshly?
(a) A glass of sherry.
(c) A cigarette.
(d) A large piece of cake.
10. With what is the back room filled?
(a) Old newspapers.
(b) Maurice's old things.
(c) Linens and clothing.
11. Who wants to show Léonie something?
12. What does Thérèse learn about her mother?
(a) That Louis is her first cousin.
(b) That she at one time was going to move to the United States.
(c) That she was probably raped by Germans and Thérèse is a result of that.
(d) That she has a German lover.
13. Who did Thérèse substitute for her mother after her mother dies?
(a) The Virgin Mary.
14. What two things does Thérèse say her vision wants accomplished?
(a) Money and prayers.
(b) Thérèse does not have a vision.
(c) A chapel on the site of the shrine and a yearly festival.
(d) A new church and the bones buried properly.
15. What does Léonie think has stopped running?
(a) Her bath water.
(b) Her mother's old alarm clock.
(c) The grandfather clock downstairs.
(d) The water pump.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word do both women call out simultaneously as Léonie leaves the room?
2. Why do the girls have to stay out of the woods?
3. How is Thérèse in competition with Madeleine?
4. Who is skeptical about Thérèse's vision?
5. Why does Thérèse feel triumphant?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)