|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thérèse do when her mother takes her home at a year and a half?
(a) Cries for the entire evening.
(b) Goes into a catatonic phase.
(c) Responds to nothing and is absolutely quiet.
(d) Cuddles up to her mother immediately.
2. Why is Léonie afraid of being alone in the room where she is sleeping?
(a) She hears people chanting and crying.
(b) Because it is pitch black inside the windowless room.
(c) She knows her great-grandmother dies in this room.
(d) The branch outside the window taps on the glass in the wind.
3. What does Léonie tell the house?
(a) That she is sad for Louis.
(c) That she wishes she inherits this house.
(d) That she is glad her aunt is dead.
4. Who watches Léonie as she drags the suitcase back and forth in her nightmare?
5. Why does Thérèse refuse to eat?
(a) Because her mother is not eating.
(b) Because her father is not there.
(c) Because she feels ugly and overweight.
(d) Because there is a famine at the time.
6. Why does Madeleine defend Léonie's action of going down to the cellar?
(a) Because Madeleine thinks everyone picks on Léonie.
(b) She tells Antoinette that Léonie was just curious because of a story Madeleine has told Léonie.
(c) Because Léonie is her daughter.
(d) Because Madeleine asks Léonie to go get some wine from the cellar.
7. What happens when the two girls return from the roof?
(a) They play a game of checkers.
(b) Thérèse begins her first menstrual cycle.
(c) They fall asleep in each other's arms.
(d) They fight over who gets what side of the bed.
8. When do Léonie and Thérèse meet?
(a) When they have both married.
(b) They never meet after they are babies.
(c) When they are three.
(d) After years of separation.
9. How does Thérèse feel in her clothes?
(a) Dressed up.
10. When is Léonie's birthday?
(a) Just a week after Thérèse's.
(b) The same day as Thérèse's.
(c) 2 weeks before Thérèse's.
(d) A year to the day later.
11. Who cares for Thérèse the first year and a half of her life?
12. What does Antoinette describe in the letters?
(a) How Thérèse's father is having an affair.
(b) How Thérèse is such a quiet baby.
(c) How Léonie was always jealous of Thérèse.
(d) How Rose Taillé took the baby in because she lost her own baby the week before.
13. What does Madeleine tell her daughter about the daughter's father, Maurice?
(a) That he loves his daughter very much.
(b) That he deserts the family and goes to the United States.
(c) That he was a German collaborator.
(d) How Louis and Maurice were friends and how Maurice helped hide the villagers' wine in the cellar.
14. What happens after Thérèse settles in to her new home?
(a) She becomes an angel in behavior.
(b) She is independent.
(c) She is clingy and cries if her mother leaves the room, even for a moment.
(d) She never goes out of her room.
15. Who does Léonie believe stole her soul?
(a) No one; she still believes she has a soul.
(b) The priest who molests her.
(d) The devil.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Léonie's mother?
2. What does Thérèse notice as the only things that have changed?
3. What does Antoinette wish?
4. Who tells Thérèse to get up off the floor?
5. Why does Victorine takes Léonie and Thérèse into the woods?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)