|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Baptiste supposedly despise Thérèse?
(a) Because she rejects his marriage proposal many years ago.
(b) For encouraging him to marry Léonie.
(c) For listening to him and Léonie making love many years ago.
(d) Because he hates her father.
2. Who is in trouble with the adults?
(a) Léonie and Thérèse.
(b) No one.s
(c) Léonie and Baptiste.
(d) Baptiste and his male friends.
3. When Léonie awakens, what does she realize?
(a) The window has opened on its own.
(b) She is too scared to scream.
(c) She is not alone in the bed.
(d) She has wet her bed.
4. What does Léonie do with Thérèse's things?
(a) Searches through them.
(b) Unpacks them.
(c) Messes them up.
(d) Makes Thérèse carry them to her room.
5. Of what is Antionette's mouth full?
(a) Chewing gum.
(c) Chocolate cake.
(d) Torn-up letters and broken glass.
6. Upon what four things in the catechism does Thérèse concentrate?
(a) Death, judgment, angels, sacrifice.
(b) Death, sin, heaven and angels.
(c) Death, sacrifice, angels, heaven.
(d) Death, judgment, heaven, and hell.
7. Why does Victorine still hate the Germans?
(a) Because they razed the wheat fields one summer and thus many starve that winter.
(b) Because they raped her and killed her grandmother.
(c) Because they killed all the Jews in the town.
(d) For what they did to Rose Taillé.
8. What has Léonie been doing while Thérèse has been in the convent?
(a) Léonie has been teaching school in France.
(b) Léonie has been in an insane asylum.
(c) Léonie has been living in America.
(d) Léonie married Baptiste and has been raising a family.
9. What does the person who had a German officer as a lover now do?
(a) She moves to Germany with her lover.
(b) She is dead; killed by angry townsfolk.
(c) She is in an insane asylum.
(d) Runs a bakery in town.
10. What happens to what the girls bring up from the cellar?
(a) The gardener kills them.
(b) Antoinette tosses it in the fire.
(c) The cook is making a white sauce with them.
(d) Henri says it was from when they made wine.
11. What does Léonie enjoy?
(a) Going to neighbor's houses for dinner.
(b) Torturing kittens.
(c) The art of defecating.
(d) Playing on the apple tree swing.
12. When the two girls go downstairs, what do they find?
(a) Madeleine singing the Hail Mary.
(b) Antoinette has died and Louis is sleeping with his head against Madeleine's shoulder.
(c) Louis is giving his wife a sip of water.
(d) Antoinette is feeling very much better.
13. What does the new priest do when he arrives in the town near the farmhouse?
(a) Consecrates the shrine.
(b) Has the shrine completely obliterated.
(c) Adds a cross to the shrine's altar.
(d) He puts an end to the worship at the shrine, as well as to the dancing and festivities.
14. From where does the chandelier come?
(a) An Irish glass company.
(b) A glassblower in Germany.
(c) Therese's papa brought the chandelier from Italy for her mother.
(d) The scion of a noble English family.
15. Who does Léonie believe stole her soul?
(a) No one; she still believes she has a soul.
(b) The priest who molests her.
(d) The devil.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who cares for Thérèse the first year and a half of her life?
2. Who claims to see the devil hiding behind the curtains?
3. Why doesn't Thérèse like the dressing room?
4. What happens after Thérèse settles in to her new home?
5. What are the ladies discussing when the two girls decide to go down to the cellar?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)