|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the two girls go downstairs, what do they find?
(a) Madeleine singing the Hail Mary.
(b) Louis is giving his wife a sip of water.
(c) Antoinette is feeling very much better.
(d) Antoinette has died and Louis is sleeping with his head against Madeleine's shoulder.
2. When is Léonie's birthday?
(a) Just a week after Thérèse's.
(b) A year to the day later.
(c) The same day as Thérèse's.
(d) 2 weeks before Thérèse's.
3. Who chases Léonie?
(a) A middle-aged man who is angry that she buys bread from the traitor.
(b) Some German soldiers.
(c) Antoinette's ghost.
(d) A group of boys led by Baptiste.
4. What does Léonie dream in the nightmare at the beginning of Chapter 18?
(a) That she is about to be buried alive in the cellar.
(b) That Thérèse nails Léonie to a cross.
(c) That Madeleine's head is rolling down the cellar steps.
(d) That Antoinette's red suitcase is tied up in scarlet cloth.
5. What has Léonie pretended for 20 years?
(a) That Thérèse is dead.
(b) That Thérèse would come and they could be together again.
(c) That Baptiste is the man she loves.
(d) That the house belongs to her.
6. About what do Léonie and Thérèse argue?
(a) If French people are smarter than English people.
(b) Why horses don't lie down to sleep.
(c) Whether it is right to still be angry with German collaborators.
(d) French and English food.
7. Who kept the letters Antoinette sent to her during Thérèse's infancy?
(b) Soeur Dosithée.
8. Who took the photograph of Léonie and Thérèse?
(a) Soi Maria.
9. Who claims to see the devil hiding behind the curtains?
10. How long has it been since Thérèse had left the monastery?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) 20 years.
(c) 40 years.
(d) A year.
11. What happens after Thérèse settles in to her new home?
(a) She is clingy and cries if her mother leaves the room, even for a moment.
(b) She becomes an angel in behavior.
(c) She is independent.
(d) She never goes out of her room.
12. After Madeleine defends Léonie, how does Antoinette act?
(a) She smiles and says it's alright.
(b) She insists that Léonie be whipped.
(c) She forbids anyone to go down into the cellar anymore.
(d) She is still clearly upset.
13. What does Thérèse find when she goes to the clearing looking for Léonie?
(a) Baptiste killing a kitten.
(b) The woman that Léonie had described.
(c) Léonie kneeling by a rock.
(d) The black stag.
14. What does Antoinette wish?
(a) That the girls are not so fair-haired.
(b) That Henri had lived to see the girls.
(c) That Antoinette had married Thérèse's father.
(d) That the girls were sisters.
15. Where do Thérèse and Léonie walk?
(a) Upstairs to the library.
(b) Into the kitchen.
(c) Into the conservatory.
(d) Into the living room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Louis suffer after Antoinette dies?
2. Why does Victorine still hate the Germans?
3. Why does Madeleine move Léonie into Thérèse's room?
4. What does Léonie tell the house?
5. What is one game the girls play?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)