|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Léonie pretended for 20 years?
(a) That Thérèse is dead.
(b) That Thérèse would come and they could be together again.
(c) That Baptiste is the man she loves.
(d) That the house belongs to her.
2. What does Antoinette do under the influence of morphine?
(a) Has nightmares and moves in her sleep.
(b) Sleeps as if dead.
(c) Tells Louis that he is not her husband.
(d) They did not have morphine at that time.
3. What happens after Thérèse settles in to her new home?
(a) She is independent.
(b) She is clingy and cries if her mother leaves the room, even for a moment.
(c) She never goes out of her room.
(d) She becomes an angel in behavior.
4. Who was willing to take on a German officer as a lover?
(c) One of the village girls who came to help with chores at the house was billeted in the back bedroom.
5. What do the girls bring up from the cellar?
(a) Two baby mice.
(b) An old wine bottle.
(c) Red velvet shoe.
(d) Three garlic cloves for the cook.
6. Why has Thérèse come to the farmhouse?
(a) She is planning to sell the farmhouse.
(b) She is thinking of leaving the monastery and that there is some unfinished business to which she must attend.
(c) She feels homesick.
(d) She hopes to forgive Léonie.
7. How does Thérèse feel in her clothes?
(b) Dressed up.
8. How much longer does Antoinette live?
(a) Three months.
(b) Another year.
(c) Three more years.
(d) Two weeks.
9. About what do Léonie and Thérèse argue?
(a) Whether it is right to still be angry with German collaborators.
(b) French and English food.
(c) If French people are smarter than English people.
(d) Why horses don't lie down to sleep.
10. What does Thérèse notice that Léonie has done?
(a) Started allowing the cats and dogs in the house.
(b) Put old sheets on her bed.
(c) Taken care in setting the table.
(d) Knitted stockings for Thérèse.
11. Why does Madeleine defend Léonie's action of going down to the cellar?
(a) Because Madeleine thinks everyone picks on Léonie.
(b) She tells Antoinette that Léonie was just curious because of a story Madeleine has told Léonie.
(c) Because Madeleine asks Léonie to go get some wine from the cellar.
(d) Because Léonie is her daughter.
12. From where does the chandelier come?
(a) The scion of a noble English family.
(b) An Irish glass company.
(c) Therese's papa brought the chandelier from Italy for her mother.
(d) A glassblower in Germany.
13. Where will Thérèse sleep?
(a) In the tiny guest room in the back of the house.
(b) In a guest cottage near the main house.
(c) In the attic.
(d) In the master bedroom where her parents slept.
14. Who claims to see the devil hiding behind the curtains?
15. How do the girls "doctor" each other?
(a) Force castor oil down the throat.
(b) Tie the patient to the bed.
(c) Wrap themselves in bandages.
(d) They are only doctoring the doll.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Léonie tell the house?
2. About what do the hosts and guest sit in the salon and talk?
3. What does Thérèse find when she goes to the clearing looking for Léonie?
4. What does Thérèse notice as the only things that have changed?
5. How is the farmhouse described?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)