|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Léonie tell the house?
(a) That she wishes she inherits this house.
(c) That she is glad her aunt is dead.
(d) That she is sad for Louis.
2. What does Thérèse mix that she hasn't done in many years?
(a) The potting soil with clay.
(b) An alcoholic drink.
(c) The dog food.
(d) Chocolate cake.
3. What does Antoinette describe in the letters?
(a) How Rose Taillé took the baby in because she lost her own baby the week before.
(b) How Thérèse's father is having an affair.
(c) How Thérèse is such a quiet baby.
(d) How Léonie was always jealous of Thérèse.
4. What does Thérèse do for her mother?
(a) Combs and braids her hair everyday.
(b) Reads to her in bed.
(c) Takes her tea three times a day.
(d) She makes herself suffer in small ways so that her mother will suffer less in purgatory.
5. Why doesn't Thérèse like the dressing room?
(a) Because it is where her mother makes her stand when she is bad.
(b) Because it smells to strongly of vinegar.
(c) Because Victorine and Antoinette discuss her mother's illness here.
(d) Because she has seen a ghost there.
6. When do Léonie and Thérèse meet?
(a) They never meet after they are babies.
(b) When they are three.
(c) After years of separation.
(d) When they have both married.
7. How does Thérèse arrive?
(a) On foot.
(b) By plane.
(c) By bus.
(d) By carrige.
8. With what is Léonie fascinated?
(a) With how sharp the kitchen knives are.
(b) The way Baptiste cannot keep his eyes off Thérèse.
(c) The family photographs.
(d) The way Thérèse is dressed.
9. What is next to a photo of Léonie?
(a) A photo of Léonie's mother.
(b) A photograph of Thérèse dressed for her first communion.
(c) A photo of a German officer.
(d) A photo of Baptiste.
10. Who took the photograph of Léonie and Thérèse?
(b) Soi Maria.
11. Why is Léonie afraid of being alone in the room where she is sleeping?
(a) Because it is pitch black inside the windowless room.
(b) She hears people chanting and crying.
(c) She knows her great-grandmother dies in this room.
(d) The branch outside the window taps on the glass in the wind.
12. Who is in trouble with the adults?
(a) Léonie and Thérèse.
(b) Baptiste and his male friends.
(c) Léonie and Baptiste.
(d) No one.s
13. What does Léonie dream in the nightmare at the beginning of Chapter 18?
(a) That Antoinette's red suitcase is tied up in scarlet cloth.
(b) That Madeleine's head is rolling down the cellar steps.
(c) That Thérèse nails Léonie to a cross.
(d) That she is about to be buried alive in the cellar.
14. When is Léonie's birthday?
(a) A year to the day later.
(b) The same day as Thérèse's.
(c) 2 weeks before Thérèse's.
(d) Just a week after Thérèse's.
15. What does Thérèse do as she walks through the house?
(a) Sits and remembers her childhood in each room.
(b) Tells Henri about each piece of furniture.
(c) Decides what she wants from each room.
(d) Turns lights on and off in the rooms.
Short Answer Questions
1. The novel begins with the description of what?
2. What are the ladies discussing when the two girls decide to go down to the cellar?
3. How do the girls "doctor" each other?
4. What has Léonie pretended for 20 years?
5. What is the name of Léonie's mother?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)