|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thérèse do for her mother?
(a) She makes herself suffer in small ways so that her mother will suffer less in purgatory.
(b) Reads to her in bed.
(c) Takes her tea three times a day.
(d) Combs and braids her hair everyday.
2. Who does Léonie believe stole her soul?
(a) The devil.
(b) No one; she still believes she has a soul.
(d) The priest who molests her.
3. How does Antoinette say Madeleine must raise Léonie?
(a) As a Church of England member.
(b) As a good Catholic.
(c) As a society debutante.
(d) As one who will one day have a noble title to live up to.
4. What happens to what the girls bring up from the cellar?
(a) The cook is making a white sauce with them.
(b) Antoinette tosses it in the fire.
(c) The gardener kills them.
(d) Henri says it was from when they made wine.
5. Of what is Thérèse's bag full?
(a) Books about Jewish history and customs.
(b) Knitting wool.
6. What happens when the two girls return from the roof?
(a) They fight over who gets what side of the bed.
(b) They play a game of checkers.
(c) They fall asleep in each other's arms.
(d) Thérèse begins her first menstrual cycle.
7. What does Léonie still use?
(a) The Model T Ford.
(b) The old pump outside the kitchen door.
(c) Feather tickler beds.
(d) All of Victorine's recipes.
8. What do the girls bring up from the cellar?
(a) An old wine bottle.
(b) Red velvet shoe.
(c) Three garlic cloves for the cook.
(d) Two baby mice.
9. Who of the Germans stays at the Martin estate during the war?
(a) The ranking enlisted and officers.
(b) The officers.
(c) Only the section administrator.
10. What does Antoinette wish?
(a) That the girls were sisters.
(b) That Henri had lived to see the girls.
(c) That the girls are not so fair-haired.
(d) That Antoinette had married Thérèse's father.
11. What does Thérèse notice that Léonie has done?
(a) Knitted stockings for Thérèse.
(b) Put old sheets on her bed.
(c) Taken care in setting the table.
(d) Started allowing the cats and dogs in the house.
12. What happens when Léonie goes down to the cellar floor?
(a) She finds bones.
(b) She sees hundreds of bottles of wine.
(c) Her light goes out.
(d) She meets an elderly man.
13. Why does Victorine takes Léonie and Thérèse into the woods?
(a) To show them their ancestors' graves.
(b) To have them help her plant more apple trees.
(c) To teach them woods lore.
(d) To pick berries.
14. Why does Baptiste supposedly despise Thérèse?
(a) For encouraging him to marry Léonie.
(b) Because she rejects his marriage proposal many years ago.
(c) For listening to him and Léonie making love many years ago.
(d) Because he hates her father.
15. What does Thérèse do when her mother takes her home at a year and a half?
(a) Cries for the entire evening.
(b) Cuddles up to her mother immediately.
(c) Responds to nothing and is absolutely quiet.
(d) Goes into a catatonic phase.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Léonie imagine she will do?
2. The novel begins with the description of what?
3. Of what is Antionette's mouth full?
4. What color of eyes does everyone in the area seem to have?
5. Who convinces Thérèse to eat?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)