|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Léonie's mother?
2. With what is Léonie fascinated?
(a) The family photographs.
(b) With how sharp the kitchen knives are.
(c) The way Thérèse is dressed.
(d) The way Baptiste cannot keep his eyes off Thérèse.
3. Upon what four things in the catechism does Thérèse concentrate?
(a) Death, judgment, angels, sacrifice.
(b) Death, sacrifice, angels, heaven.
(c) Death, sin, heaven and angels.
(d) Death, judgment, heaven, and hell.
4. Why does Madeleine move Léonie into Thérèse's room?
(a) To torment Thérèse.
(b) To stop Thérèse from being so obsessed with praying.
(c) To punish Léonie.
(d) Hoping the two girls will begin to like each other better.
5. Who was willing to take on a German officer as a lover?
(b) One of the village girls who came to help with chores at the house was billeted in the back bedroom.
6. What does Thérèse do as she walks through the house?
(a) Tells Henri about each piece of furniture.
(b) Turns lights on and off in the rooms.
(c) Decides what she wants from each room.
(d) Sits and remembers her childhood in each room.
7. Who of the Germans stays at the Martin estate during the war?
(a) The ranking enlisted and officers.
(b) The officers.
(d) Only the section administrator.
8. Of what is Antionette's mouth full?
(b) Torn-up letters and broken glass.
(c) Chewing gum.
(d) Chocolate cake.
9. Why does Madeleine defend Léonie's action of going down to the cellar?
(a) Because Léonie is her daughter.
(b) Because Madeleine asks Léonie to go get some wine from the cellar.
(c) She tells Antoinette that Léonie was just curious because of a story Madeleine has told Léonie.
(d) Because Madeleine thinks everyone picks on Léonie.
10. What does Antoinette do under the influence of morphine?
(a) They did not have morphine at that time.
(b) Tells Louis that he is not her husband.
(c) Has nightmares and moves in her sleep.
(d) Sleeps as if dead.
11. How does Léonie help Louis?
(a) Raking the orchard.
(b) Spreading horse manure.
(c) Picking blueberries.
(d) Pulling weeds.
12. Where will Thérèse sleep?
(a) In the master bedroom where her parents slept.
(b) In the attic.
(c) In the tiny guest room in the back of the house.
(d) In a guest cottage near the main house.
13. Who watches Léonie as she drags the suitcase back and forth in her nightmare?
14. What does Baptiste do to gain the attention of the two girls?
(a) Swings down out of a tree to scare them.
(b) Shoots at pigeons on the rooftop.
(c) Treats some kittens cruelly.
(d) Rides bareback on a horse while standing up.
15. Where do Thérèse and Léonie walk?
(a) Into the conservatory.
(b) Upstairs to the library.
(c) Into the living room.
(d) Into the kitchen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Léonie imagine she will do?
2. What is next to a photo of Léonie?
3. How do the girls "doctor" each other?
4. From where does the chandelier come?
5. How does Thérèse arrive?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)