|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Antoinette do under the influence of morphine?
(a) Tells Louis that he is not her husband.
(b) Sleeps as if dead.
(c) They did not have morphine at that time.
(d) Has nightmares and moves in her sleep.
2. At the end of the chapter what does Léonie imagine she and Thérèse are doing?
(a) Running through the heather.
(b) Dying in a concentration camp.
(c) Having tea with the Queen.
(d) Playing a game where they spin on the spot until one of them falls.
3. What happens to what the girls bring up from the cellar?
(a) Antoinette tosses it in the fire.
(b) Henri says it was from when they made wine.
(c) The gardener kills them.
(d) The cook is making a white sauce with them.
4. What does Léonie imagine she will do?
(a) Become like Florence Nightingale and help sick people.
(b) Become a doctor and save people from cancer.
(c) She will make up her own rules when she is an adult.
(d) Learn how to knit.
5. About what do the hosts and guest sit in the salon and talk?
6. What does the specialist say about Antoinette's breast cancer?
(a) That it does not look good.
(b) That it may not be cancer after all.
(c) Nothing; he does not want to scare her.
(d) That it will just take a little surgery and she'll be fine.
7. Why does Baptiste supposedly despise Thérèse?
(a) For encouraging him to marry Léonie.
(b) Because he hates her father.
(c) For listening to him and Léonie making love many years ago.
(d) Because she rejects his marriage proposal many years ago.
8. What does Baptiste do to gain the attention of the two girls?
(a) Shoots at pigeons on the rooftop.
(b) Rides bareback on a horse while standing up.
(c) Treats some kittens cruelly.
(d) Swings down out of a tree to scare them.
9. What is the name of Léonie's mother?
10. What does Thérèse do when her mother takes her home at a year and a half?
(a) Responds to nothing and is absolutely quiet.
(b) Cries for the entire evening.
(c) Cuddles up to her mother immediately.
(d) Goes into a catatonic phase.
11. Why is Léonie afraid of being alone in the room where she is sleeping?
(a) She hears people chanting and crying.
(b) She knows her great-grandmother dies in this room.
(c) The branch outside the window taps on the glass in the wind.
(d) Because it is pitch black inside the windowless room.
12. When do Léonie and Thérèse meet?
(a) When they have both married.
(b) They never meet after they are babies.
(c) After years of separation.
(d) When they are three.
13. When the two girls go downstairs, what do they find?
(a) Madeleine singing the Hail Mary.
(b) Louis is giving his wife a sip of water.
(c) Antoinette has died and Louis is sleeping with his head against Madeleine's shoulder.
(d) Antoinette is feeling very much better.
14. How much longer does Antoinette live?
(a) Three months.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Another year.
(d) Three more years.
15. What does Léonie enjoy?
(a) Torturing kittens.
(b) Playing on the apple tree swing.
(c) The art of defecating.
(d) Going to neighbor's houses for dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where will Thérèse sleep?
2. What does Thérèse do for her mother?
3. The novel begins with the description of what?
4. What does Léonie do after Louis leaves the bathroom?
5. Why does Thérèse bang her head against the floor?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)