|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what is Antionette's mouth full?
(a) Chocolate cake.
(c) Chewing gum.
(d) Torn-up letters and broken glass.
2. Why doesn't Thérèse like the dressing room?
(a) Because she has seen a ghost there.
(b) Because it smells to strongly of vinegar.
(c) Because Victorine and Antoinette discuss her mother's illness here.
(d) Because it is where her mother makes her stand when she is bad.
3. What does Léonie do after Louis leaves the bathroom?
(a) Goes in and stares at the toiletries and soap in the bathroom.
(b) Lies in the haystack with Louis.
(c) Goes into the bathroom and takes a shower.
(d) Goes outside with Louis while he washes at the pump.
4. What does Leonie take out before leaving?
(a) A chalice.
(b) The antique Quimper bowl.
(c) Two goblets.
(d) The silver from the chest.
5. Who convinces Thérèse to eat?
6. What does Thérèse do for her mother?
(a) Takes her tea three times a day.
(b) Combs and braids her hair everyday.
(c) She makes herself suffer in small ways so that her mother will suffer less in purgatory.
(d) Reads to her in bed.
7. Who watches Léonie as she drags the suitcase back and forth in her nightmare?
8. How does Thérèse arrive?
(a) By carrige.
(b) By plane.
(c) On foot.
(d) By bus.
9. What does Léonie tell the house?
(a) That she wishes she inherits this house.
(b) That she is sad for Louis.
(c) That she is glad her aunt is dead.
10. What happens after Thérèse settles in to her new home?
(a) She is clingy and cries if her mother leaves the room, even for a moment.
(b) She never goes out of her room.
(c) She is independent.
(d) She becomes an angel in behavior.
11. What happens when the two girls return from the roof?
(a) They fall asleep in each other's arms.
(b) They fight over who gets what side of the bed.
(c) They play a game of checkers.
(d) Thérèse begins her first menstrual cycle.
12. What does Antoinette wish?
(a) That the girls are not so fair-haired.
(b) That the girls were sisters.
(c) That Henri had lived to see the girls.
(d) That Antoinette had married Thérèse's father.
13. Upon what four things in the catechism does Thérèse concentrate?
(a) Death, judgment, angels, sacrifice.
(b) Death, judgment, heaven, and hell.
(c) Death, sacrifice, angels, heaven.
(d) Death, sin, heaven and angels.
14. What are the ladies discussing when the two girls decide to go down to the cellar?
(a) Who is likely to be the next woman to wed.
(b) If their husbands really like being tied down in marriage.
(c) Whether there is going to be a major war.
(d) The diagnosis of breast cancer that Antoinette has just received.
15. About what do Léonie and Thérèse argue?
(a) If French people are smarter than English people.
(b) French and English food.
(c) Why horses don't lie down to sleep.
(d) Whether it is right to still be angry with German collaborators.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one game the girls play?
2. Why does Victorine takes Léonie and Thérèse into the woods?
3. What does Thérèse do when her mother takes her home at a year and a half?
4. What does Léonie dream in the nightmare at the beginning of Chapter 18?
5. Who of the Germans stays at the Martin estate during the war?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)