|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who watches Léonie as she drags the suitcase back and forth in her nightmare?
2. What happens when Léonie goes down to the cellar floor?
(a) She finds bones.
(b) She sees hundreds of bottles of wine.
(c) She meets an elderly man.
(d) Her light goes out.
3. What does Thérèse do for her mother?
(a) Reads to her in bed.
(b) Combs and braids her hair everyday.
(c) She makes herself suffer in small ways so that her mother will suffer less in purgatory.
(d) Takes her tea three times a day.
4. What does Léonie see in the woods?
(a) A beautiful woman with olive skin dressed in red.
(b) Madeleine with Louis.
(c) A black stag.
(d) Two woodsmen illegally chopping down a tree.
5. What happens to what the girls bring up from the cellar?
(a) The gardener kills them.
(b) Antoinette tosses it in the fire.
(c) Henri says it was from when they made wine.
(d) The cook is making a white sauce with them.
6. Who of the Germans stays at the Martin estate during the war?
(a) Only the section administrator.
(b) The officers.
(c) The ranking enlisted and officers.
7. When do Léonie and Thérèse meet?
(a) When they are three.
(b) They never meet after they are babies.
(c) When they have both married.
(d) After years of separation.
8. From where does the chandelier come?
(a) Therese's papa brought the chandelier from Italy for her mother.
(b) The scion of a noble English family.
(c) An Irish glass company.
(d) A glassblower in Germany.
9. What happens after Thérèse settles in to her new home?
(a) She is independent.
(b) She never goes out of her room.
(c) She is clingy and cries if her mother leaves the room, even for a moment.
(d) She becomes an angel in behavior.
10. What does Thérèse do when her mother takes her home at a year and a half?
(a) Cries for the entire evening.
(b) Goes into a catatonic phase.
(c) Responds to nothing and is absolutely quiet.
(d) Cuddles up to her mother immediately.
11. When is Léonie's birthday?
(a) The same day as Thérèse's.
(b) Just a week after Thérèse's.
(c) 2 weeks before Thérèse's.
(d) A year to the day later.
12. Who convinces Thérèse to eat?
13. Who tells Thérèse to get up off the floor?
14. What does the specialist say about Antoinette's breast cancer?
(a) Nothing; he does not want to scare her.
(b) That it may not be cancer after all.
(c) That it does not look good.
(d) That it will just take a little surgery and she'll be fine.
15. What has Léonie been doing while Thérèse has been in the convent?
(a) Léonie married Baptiste and has been raising a family.
(b) Léonie has been teaching school in France.
(c) Léonie has been living in America.
(d) Léonie has been in an insane asylum.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who relishes her breakfast the next morning though Louis and Thérèse refuse to eat?
2. Why has Thérèse come to the farmhouse?
3. Of what is Thérèse's bag full?
4. What does Antoinette do under the influence of morphine?
5. How does Léonie help Louis?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)