|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what do Léonie and Thérèse argue?
(a) Whether it is right to still be angry with German collaborators.
(b) Why horses don't lie down to sleep.
(c) French and English food.
(d) If French people are smarter than English people.
2. How does Léonie help Louis?
(a) Pulling weeds.
(b) Spreading horse manure.
(c) Picking blueberries.
(d) Raking the orchard.
3. What does Léonie do with Thérèse's things?
(a) Makes Thérèse carry them to her room.
(b) Searches through them.
(c) Messes them up.
(d) Unpacks them.
4. How does Thérèse arrive?
(a) By bus.
(b) On foot.
(c) By plane.
(d) By carrige.
5. What does Léonie dream in the nightmare at the beginning of Chapter 18?
(a) That she is about to be buried alive in the cellar.
(b) That Thérèse nails Léonie to a cross.
(c) That Madeleine's head is rolling down the cellar steps.
(d) That Antoinette's red suitcase is tied up in scarlet cloth.
6. Who kept the letters Antoinette sent to her during Thérèse's infancy?
(b) Soeur Dosithée.
7. Upon what four things in the catechism does Thérèse concentrate?
(a) Death, sacrifice, angels, heaven.
(b) Death, sin, heaven and angels.
(c) Death, judgment, angels, sacrifice.
(d) Death, judgment, heaven, and hell.
8. What are the ladies discussing when the two girls decide to go down to the cellar?
(a) If their husbands really like being tied down in marriage.
(b) The diagnosis of breast cancer that Antoinette has just received.
(c) Whether there is going to be a major war.
(d) Who is likely to be the next woman to wed.
9. Who has died at the beginning of Chapter 22?
(d) Soeur Dosithée.
10. What does the specialist say about Antoinette's breast cancer?
(a) That it will just take a little surgery and she'll be fine.
(b) That it does not look good.
(c) Nothing; he does not want to scare her.
(d) That it may not be cancer after all.
11. What does Louis suffer after Antoinette dies?
(a) A feeling of relief.
(b) Feelings of confusion.
(c) A period of intense grief.
(d) Feelings of guilt since he had been tired of caring for her.
12. What happens when the two girls return from the roof?
(a) Thérèse begins her first menstrual cycle.
(b) They fight over who gets what side of the bed.
(c) They fall asleep in each other's arms.
(d) They play a game of checkers.
13. Why does Victorine takes Léonie and Thérèse into the woods?
(a) To pick berries.
(b) To have them help her plant more apple trees.
(c) To show them their ancestors' graves.
(d) To teach them woods lore.
14. Of what is Thérèse's bag full?
(a) Books about Jewish history and customs.
(d) Knitting wool.
15. How is the farmhouse described?
(a) As changeable.
(b) As a safe haven.
(c) As common.
(d) As a rickety old building.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thérèse do as she walks through the house?
2. How does Thérèse feel in her clothes?
3. Who cares for Thérèse the first year and a half of her life?
4. What happens after Thérèse settles in to her new home?
5. What does Léonie imagine she will do?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)