|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Thérèse refuse to eat?
(a) Because she feels ugly and overweight.
(b) Because her mother is not eating.
(c) Because her father is not there.
(d) Because there is a famine at the time.
2. What does Thérèse do when her mother takes her home at a year and a half?
(a) Responds to nothing and is absolutely quiet.
(b) Goes into a catatonic phase.
(c) Cries for the entire evening.
(d) Cuddles up to her mother immediately.
3. How does Thérèse arrive?
(a) By bus.
(b) On foot.
(c) By carrige.
(d) By plane.
4. What does Léonie enjoy?
(a) Climbing the apple tree everyday while visiting Thérèse.
(b) Brushing her hair one-hundred strokes every night.
(c) Being a foreigner for a change.
(d) Teasing Thérèse unmercifully.
5. What does Madeleine tell her daughter about the daughter's father, Maurice?
(a) How Louis and Maurice were friends and how Maurice helped hide the villagers' wine in the cellar.
(b) That he deserts the family and goes to the United States.
(c) That he loves his daughter very much.
(d) That he was a German collaborator.
6. Who has died at the beginning of Chapter 22?
(d) Soeur Dosithée.
7. What does Léonie still use?
(a) The Model T Ford.
(b) All of Victorine's recipes.
(c) The old pump outside the kitchen door.
(d) Feather tickler beds.
8. Why does Victorine still hate the Germans?
(a) Because they razed the wheat fields one summer and thus many starve that winter.
(b) Because they raped her and killed her grandmother.
(c) For what they did to Rose Taillé.
(d) Because they killed all the Jews in the town.
9. How much longer does Antoinette live?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Another year.
(c) Three months.
(d) Three more years.
10. Who is staring angrily at Thérèse as the front door opens?
(b) No one.
11. Of what is Thérèse's bag full?
(c) Books about Jewish history and customs.
(d) Knitting wool.
12. Why does Thérèse bang her head against the floor?
(a) Because she has a brain tumor and is not in control of her actions.
(b) Because she feels her thoughts are off-track.
(c) Because she believes if she hurts her head, she will think pure thoughts.
(d) Because she is trying to awaken her mother in the room below.
13. How does Antoinette say Madeleine must raise Léonie?
(a) As one who will one day have a noble title to live up to.
(b) As a good Catholic.
(c) As a society debutante.
(d) As a Church of England member.
14. What color of eyes does everyone in the area seem to have?
(b) It varies.
(d) Dark brown.
15. What is one game the girls play?
(a) All for Love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Léonie dream in the nightmare at the beginning of Chapter 18?
2. When the two girls go downstairs, what do they find?
3. Why does Victorine takes Léonie and Thérèse into the woods?
4. Where do Thérèse and Léonie walk?
5. Who cares for Thérèse the first year and a half of her life?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)