|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the two girls go downstairs, what do they find?
(a) Louis is giving his wife a sip of water.
(b) Antoinette is feeling very much better.
(c) Antoinette has died and Louis is sleeping with his head against Madeleine's shoulder.
(d) Madeleine singing the Hail Mary.
2. What does the new priest do when he arrives in the town near the farmhouse?
(a) Consecrates the shrine.
(b) Has the shrine completely obliterated.
(c) Adds a cross to the shrine's altar.
(d) He puts an end to the worship at the shrine, as well as to the dancing and festivities.
3. The novel begins with the description of what?
(a) Michael's favorite horse.
(b) The barn.
(c) The farm house.
(d) A nightmare.
4. Why does Thérèse refuse to eat?
(a) Because her mother is not eating.
(b) Because her father is not there.
(c) Because she feels ugly and overweight.
(d) Because there is a famine at the time.
5. When is Léonie's birthday?
(a) A year to the day later.
(b) Just a week after Thérèse's.
(c) 2 weeks before Thérèse's.
(d) The same day as Thérèse's.
6. What does Antoinette wish?
(a) That Henri had lived to see the girls.
(b) That the girls were sisters.
(c) That Antoinette had married Thérèse's father.
(d) That the girls are not so fair-haired.
7. What does Thérèse notice as the only things that have changed?
(a) The bedspreades.
(b) The wallpaper.
(c) The appliances.
(d) The curtins.
8. What does the person who had a German officer as a lover now do?
(a) She is dead; killed by angry townsfolk.
(b) She moves to Germany with her lover.
(c) Runs a bakery in town.
(d) She is in an insane asylum.
9. What happens when Léonie goes down to the cellar floor?
(a) Her light goes out.
(b) She finds bones.
(c) She sees hundreds of bottles of wine.
(d) She meets an elderly man.
10. Who convinces Thérèse to eat?
11. What does Léonie imagine she will do?
(a) She will make up her own rules when she is an adult.
(b) Become a doctor and save people from cancer.
(c) Become like Florence Nightingale and help sick people.
(d) Learn how to knit.
12. What is the name of Léonie's mother?
13. What does Madeleine tell her daughter about the daughter's father, Maurice?
(a) How Louis and Maurice were friends and how Maurice helped hide the villagers' wine in the cellar.
(b) That he loves his daughter very much.
(c) That he was a German collaborator.
(d) That he deserts the family and goes to the United States.
14. Why is Léonie afraid of being alone in the room where she is sleeping?
(a) Because it is pitch black inside the windowless room.
(b) She knows her great-grandmother dies in this room.
(c) She hears people chanting and crying.
(d) The branch outside the window taps on the glass in the wind.
15. What is next to a photo of Léonie?
(a) A photo of Baptiste.
(b) A photo of Léonie's mother.
(c) A photograph of Thérèse dressed for her first communion.
(d) A photo of a German officer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who kept the letters Antoinette sent to her during Thérèse's infancy?
2. Why has Thérèse come to the farmhouse?
3. How does Thérèse feel in her clothes?
4. What does Thérèse notice that Léonie has done?
5. When do Léonie and Thérèse meet?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)