|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Léonie been doing while Thérèse has been in the convent?
(a) Léonie has been living in America.
(b) Léonie has been in an insane asylum.
(c) Léonie has been teaching school in France.
(d) Léonie married Baptiste and has been raising a family.
2. With what is Léonie fascinated?
(a) The family photographs.
(b) The way Thérèse is dressed.
(c) With how sharp the kitchen knives are.
(d) The way Baptiste cannot keep his eyes off Thérèse.
3. What does Léonie do with Thérèse's things?
(a) Makes Thérèse carry them to her room.
(b) Messes them up.
(c) Unpacks them.
(d) Searches through them.
4. What does Madeleine tell her daughter about the daughter's father, Maurice?
(a) That he deserts the family and goes to the United States.
(b) That he was a German collaborator.
(c) That he loves his daughter very much.
(d) How Louis and Maurice were friends and how Maurice helped hide the villagers' wine in the cellar.
5. What does Louis suffer after Antoinette dies?
(a) Feelings of guilt since he had been tired of caring for her.
(b) A period of intense grief.
(c) A feeling of relief.
(d) Feelings of confusion.
6. Why is Léonie afraid of being alone in the room where she is sleeping?
(a) Because it is pitch black inside the windowless room.
(b) She knows her great-grandmother dies in this room.
(c) The branch outside the window taps on the glass in the wind.
(d) She hears people chanting and crying.
7. Who has died at the beginning of Chapter 22?
(c) Soeur Dosithée.
8. Who took the photograph of Léonie and Thérèse?
(d) Soi Maria.
9. Who is in trouble with the adults?
(a) Léonie and Baptiste.
(b) No one.s
(c) Léonie and Thérèse.
(d) Baptiste and his male friends.
10. What does Léonie enjoy?
(a) Brushing her hair one-hundred strokes every night.
(b) Being a foreigner for a change.
(c) Climbing the apple tree everyday while visiting Thérèse.
(d) Teasing Thérèse unmercifully.
11. What does the new priest do when he arrives in the town near the farmhouse?
(a) He puts an end to the worship at the shrine, as well as to the dancing and festivities.
(b) Consecrates the shrine.
(c) Adds a cross to the shrine's altar.
(d) Has the shrine completely obliterated.
12. Of what is Antionette's mouth full?
(b) Chocolate cake.
(c) Torn-up letters and broken glass.
(d) Chewing gum.
13. Who kept the letters Antoinette sent to her during Thérèse's infancy?
(c) Soeur Dosithée.
14. What does Thérèse notice as the only things that have changed?
(a) The appliances.
(b) The wallpaper.
(c) The curtins.
(d) The bedspreades.
15. Who cares for Thérèse the first year and a half of her life?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Victorine takes Léonie and Thérèse into the woods?
2. What does Léonie tell the house?
3. The novel begins with the description of what?
4. What does the person who had a German officer as a lover now do?
5. Who of the Germans stays at the Martin estate during the war?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)