|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thérèse notice that Léonie has done?
(a) Started allowing the cats and dogs in the house.
(b) Put old sheets on her bed.
(c) Taken care in setting the table.
(d) Knitted stockings for Thérèse.
2. What does Thérèse mix that she hasn't done in many years?
(a) Chocolate cake.
(b) The dog food.
(c) The potting soil with clay.
(d) An alcoholic drink.
3. Who kept the letters Antoinette sent to her during Thérèse's infancy?
(b) Soeur Dosithée.
4. What has Léonie been doing while Thérèse has been in the convent?
(a) Léonie has been living in America.
(b) Léonie has been teaching school in France.
(c) Léonie has been in an insane asylum.
(d) Léonie married Baptiste and has been raising a family.
5. Why doesn't Thérèse like the dressing room?
(a) Because Victorine and Antoinette discuss her mother's illness here.
(b) Because it smells to strongly of vinegar.
(c) Because she has seen a ghost there.
(d) Because it is where her mother makes her stand when she is bad.
6. What does Antoinette describe in the letters?
(a) How Léonie was always jealous of Thérèse.
(b) How Thérèse's father is having an affair.
(c) How Rose Taillé took the baby in because she lost her own baby the week before.
(d) How Thérèse is such a quiet baby.
7. Who relishes her breakfast the next morning though Louis and Thérèse refuse to eat?
8. How does Thérèse arrive?
(a) By carrige.
(b) By plane.
(c) By bus.
(d) On foot.
9. When the two girls go downstairs, what do they find?
(a) Antoinette is feeling very much better.
(b) Antoinette has died and Louis is sleeping with his head against Madeleine's shoulder.
(c) Madeleine singing the Hail Mary.
(d) Louis is giving his wife a sip of water.
10. Why is Léonie afraid of being alone in the room where she is sleeping?
(a) Because it is pitch black inside the windowless room.
(b) The branch outside the window taps on the glass in the wind.
(c) She hears people chanting and crying.
(d) She knows her great-grandmother dies in this room.
11. Why does Madeleine defend Léonie's action of going down to the cellar?
(a) Because Madeleine asks Léonie to go get some wine from the cellar.
(b) Because Madeleine thinks everyone picks on Léonie.
(c) She tells Antoinette that Léonie was just curious because of a story Madeleine has told Léonie.
(d) Because Léonie is her daughter.
12. Why does Madeleine move Léonie into Thérèse's room?
(a) Hoping the two girls will begin to like each other better.
(b) To torment Thérèse.
(c) To stop Thérèse from being so obsessed with praying.
(d) To punish Léonie.
13. Who is in trouble with the adults?
(a) Léonie and Baptiste.
(b) Léonie and Thérèse.
(c) No one.s
(d) Baptiste and his male friends.
14. After Madeleine defends Léonie, how does Antoinette act?
(a) She forbids anyone to go down into the cellar anymore.
(b) She is still clearly upset.
(c) She insists that Léonie be whipped.
(d) She smiles and says it's alright.
15. Who took the photograph of Léonie and Thérèse?
(c) Soi Maria.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the girls do after being exhausted from fighting?
2. About what do Léonie and Thérèse argue?
3. What does Léonie do after Louis leaves the bathroom?
4. Who was willing to take on a German officer as a lover?
5. Who is staring angrily at Thérèse as the front door opens?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)