|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Antoinette say Madeleine must raise Léonie?
(a) As a society debutante.
(b) As one who will one day have a noble title to live up to.
(c) As a Church of England member.
(d) As a good Catholic.
2. At the end of the chapter what does Léonie imagine she and Thérèse are doing?
(a) Having tea with the Queen.
(b) Running through the heather.
(c) Dying in a concentration camp.
(d) Playing a game where they spin on the spot until one of them falls.
3. Who tells Thérèse to get up off the floor?
4. Why does Madeleine defend Léonie's action of going down to the cellar?
(a) Because Léonie is her daughter.
(b) Because Madeleine asks Léonie to go get some wine from the cellar.
(c) She tells Antoinette that Léonie was just curious because of a story Madeleine has told Léonie.
(d) Because Madeleine thinks everyone picks on Léonie.
5. Why is Léonie afraid of being alone in the room where she is sleeping?
(a) The branch outside the window taps on the glass in the wind.
(b) Because it is pitch black inside the windowless room.
(c) She knows her great-grandmother dies in this room.
(d) She hears people chanting and crying.
6. What does Thérèse do as she walks through the house?
(a) Sits and remembers her childhood in each room.
(b) Tells Henri about each piece of furniture.
(c) Decides what she wants from each room.
(d) Turns lights on and off in the rooms.
7. What does the person who had a German officer as a lover now do?
(a) She is dead; killed by angry townsfolk.
(b) Runs a bakery in town.
(c) She moves to Germany with her lover.
(d) She is in an insane asylum.
8. What is the name of Léonie's mother?
9. What does the new priest do when he arrives in the town near the farmhouse?
(a) He puts an end to the worship at the shrine, as well as to the dancing and festivities.
(b) Consecrates the shrine.
(c) Has the shrine completely obliterated.
(d) Adds a cross to the shrine's altar.
10. Who took the photograph of Léonie and Thérèse?
(c) Soi Maria.
11. Why does Baptiste supposedly despise Thérèse?
(a) Because she rejects his marriage proposal many years ago.
(b) For encouraging him to marry Léonie.
(c) Because he hates her father.
(d) For listening to him and Léonie making love many years ago.
12. After Madeleine defends Léonie, how does Antoinette act?
(a) She forbids anyone to go down into the cellar anymore.
(b) She insists that Léonie be whipped.
(c) She is still clearly upset.
(d) She smiles and says it's alright.
13. Where will Thérèse sleep?
(a) In the master bedroom where her parents slept.
(b) In a guest cottage near the main house.
(c) In the tiny guest room in the back of the house.
(d) In the attic.
14. Why does Thérèse refuse to eat?
(a) Because her father is not there.
(b) Because she feels ugly and overweight.
(c) Because there is a famine at the time.
(d) Because her mother is not eating.
15. Who was willing to take on a German officer as a lover?
(c) One of the village girls who came to help with chores at the house was billeted in the back bedroom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Thérèse like the dressing room?
2. About what do the hosts and guest sit in the salon and talk?
3. Who cares for Thérèse the first year and a half of her life?
4. Upon what four things in the catechism does Thérèse concentrate?
5. What does Léonie dream in the nightmare at the beginning of Chapter 18?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)