|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what is Léonie fascinated?
(a) The family photographs.
(b) The way Thérèse is dressed.
(c) With how sharp the kitchen knives are.
(d) The way Baptiste cannot keep his eyes off Thérèse.
2. What does Léonie enjoy?
(a) Playing on the apple tree swing.
(b) The art of defecating.
(c) Torturing kittens.
(d) Going to neighbor's houses for dinner.
3. Of what is Thérèse's bag full?
(a) Knitting wool.
(d) Books about Jewish history and customs.
4. What does Thérèse notice as the only things that have changed?
(a) The curtins.
(b) The appliances.
(c) The wallpaper.
(d) The bedspreades.
5. Why does Madeleine defend Léonie's action of going down to the cellar?
(a) She tells Antoinette that Léonie was just curious because of a story Madeleine has told Léonie.
(b) Because Madeleine thinks everyone picks on Léonie.
(c) Because Madeleine asks Léonie to go get some wine from the cellar.
(d) Because Léonie is her daughter.
6. How long has it been since Thérèse had left the monastery?
(a) 40 years.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) 20 years.
(d) A year.
7. Why does Baptiste supposedly despise Thérèse?
(a) For listening to him and Léonie making love many years ago.
(b) Because he hates her father.
(c) For encouraging him to marry Léonie.
(d) Because she rejects his marriage proposal many years ago.
8. What happens to what the girls bring up from the cellar?
(a) Henri says it was from when they made wine.
(b) The cook is making a white sauce with them.
(c) Antoinette tosses it in the fire.
(d) The gardener kills them.
9. What does Léonie enjoy?
(a) Teasing Thérèse unmercifully.
(b) Brushing her hair one-hundred strokes every night.
(c) Climbing the apple tree everyday while visiting Thérèse.
(d) Being a foreigner for a change.
10. What does Thérèse find when she goes to the clearing looking for Léonie?
(a) The black stag.
(b) Léonie kneeling by a rock.
(c) The woman that Léonie had described.
(d) Baptiste killing a kitten.
11. The novel begins with the description of what?
(a) The barn.
(b) A nightmare.
(c) Michael's favorite horse.
(d) The farm house.
12. What does the new priest do when he arrives in the town near the farmhouse?
(a) Adds a cross to the shrine's altar.
(b) Consecrates the shrine.
(c) Has the shrine completely obliterated.
(d) He puts an end to the worship at the shrine, as well as to the dancing and festivities.
13. What does Baptiste do to gain the attention of the two girls?
(a) Shoots at pigeons on the rooftop.
(b) Treats some kittens cruelly.
(c) Rides bareback on a horse while standing up.
(d) Swings down out of a tree to scare them.
14. What does the person who had a German officer as a lover now do?
(a) She is dead; killed by angry townsfolk.
(b) Runs a bakery in town.
(c) She is in an insane asylum.
(d) She moves to Germany with her lover.
15. Why does Thérèse refuse to eat?
(a) Because her mother is not eating.
(b) Because there is a famine at the time.
(c) Because she feels ugly and overweight.
(d) Because her father is not there.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the farmhouse described?
2. What is the name of Léonie's mother?
3. What does Léonie dream in the nightmare at the beginning of Chapter 18?
4. How does Antoinette say Madeleine must raise Léonie?
5. About what do the hosts and guest sit in the salon and talk?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)