|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Léonie imagine she will do?
(a) Become a doctor and save people from cancer.
(b) Become like Florence Nightingale and help sick people.
(c) She will make up her own rules when she is an adult.
(d) Learn how to knit.
2. Where do Thérèse and Léonie walk?
(a) Upstairs to the library.
(b) Into the living room.
(c) Into the conservatory.
(d) Into the kitchen.
3. What is one game the girls play?
(a) All for Love.
4. Who is in trouble with the adults?
(a) Baptiste and his male friends.
(b) Léonie and Baptiste.
(c) No one.s
(d) Léonie and Thérèse.
5. What does Antoinette wish?
(a) That the girls were sisters.
(b) That Henri had lived to see the girls.
(c) That Antoinette had married Thérèse's father.
(d) That the girls are not so fair-haired.
6. What does Thérèse do when her mother takes her home at a year and a half?
(a) Cuddles up to her mother immediately.
(b) Responds to nothing and is absolutely quiet.
(c) Goes into a catatonic phase.
(d) Cries for the entire evening.
7. What does the new priest do when he arrives in the town near the farmhouse?
(a) Adds a cross to the shrine's altar.
(b) Has the shrine completely obliterated.
(c) Consecrates the shrine.
(d) He puts an end to the worship at the shrine, as well as to the dancing and festivities.
8. What does Léonie dream in the nightmare at the beginning of Chapter 18?
(a) That Thérèse nails Léonie to a cross.
(b) That Madeleine's head is rolling down the cellar steps.
(c) That Antoinette's red suitcase is tied up in scarlet cloth.
(d) That she is about to be buried alive in the cellar.
9. About what do Léonie and Thérèse argue?
(a) Whether it is right to still be angry with German collaborators.
(b) Why horses don't lie down to sleep.
(c) French and English food.
(d) If French people are smarter than English people.
10. How long has it been since Thérèse had left the monastery?
(a) 40 years.
(b) 20 years.
(c) A year.
(d) Two weeks.
11. The novel begins with the description of what?
(a) A nightmare.
(b) The barn.
(c) The farm house.
(d) Michael's favorite horse.
12. Who cares for Thérèse the first year and a half of her life?
13. Why does Baptiste supposedly despise Thérèse?
(a) For listening to him and Léonie making love many years ago.
(b) For encouraging him to marry Léonie.
(c) Because he hates her father.
(d) Because she rejects his marriage proposal many years ago.
14. When is Léonie's birthday?
(a) 2 weeks before Thérèse's.
(b) A year to the day later.
(c) Just a week after Thérèse's.
(d) The same day as Thérèse's.
15. What does Léonie do with Thérèse's things?
(a) Unpacks them.
(b) Searches through them.
(c) Makes Thérèse carry them to her room.
(d) Messes them up.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Léonie help Louis?
2. Why does Victorine takes Léonie and Thérèse into the woods?
3. How does Thérèse feel in her clothes?
4. What does Louis suffer after Antoinette dies?
5. When Léonie awakens, what does she realize?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)