|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was willing to take on a German officer as a lover?
(d) One of the village girls who came to help with chores at the house was billeted in the back bedroom.
2. Who of the Germans stays at the Martin estate during the war?
(a) Only the section administrator.
(b) The ranking enlisted and officers.
(d) The officers.
3. What does the person who had a German officer as a lover now do?
(a) She is dead; killed by angry townsfolk.
(b) She is in an insane asylum.
(c) She moves to Germany with her lover.
(d) Runs a bakery in town.
4. What does Madeleine tell her daughter about the daughter's father, Maurice?
(a) That he loves his daughter very much.
(b) That he deserts the family and goes to the United States.
(c) That he was a German collaborator.
(d) How Louis and Maurice were friends and how Maurice helped hide the villagers' wine in the cellar.
5. What does the specialist say about Antoinette's breast cancer?
(a) That it does not look good.
(b) Nothing; he does not want to scare her.
(c) That it may not be cancer after all.
(d) That it will just take a little surgery and she'll be fine.
6. Where will Thérèse sleep?
(a) In a guest cottage near the main house.
(b) In the master bedroom where her parents slept.
(c) In the tiny guest room in the back of the house.
(d) In the attic.
7. What does Léonie enjoy?
(a) Climbing the apple tree everyday while visiting Thérèse.
(b) Brushing her hair one-hundred strokes every night.
(c) Teasing Thérèse unmercifully.
(d) Being a foreigner for a change.
8. From where does the chandelier come?
(a) The scion of a noble English family.
(b) A glassblower in Germany.
(c) An Irish glass company.
(d) Therese's papa brought the chandelier from Italy for her mother.
9. Of what is Thérèse's bag full?
(b) Books about Jewish history and customs.
(d) Knitting wool.
10. How does Léonie help Louis?
(a) Pulling weeds.
(b) Spreading horse manure.
(c) Raking the orchard.
(d) Picking blueberries.
11. How much longer does Antoinette live?
(a) Three more years.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Another year.
(d) Three months.
12. Who does Léonie believe stole her soul?
(a) No one; she still believes she has a soul.
(c) The priest who molests her.
(d) The devil.
13. Who is staring angrily at Thérèse as the front door opens?
(a) No one.
14. When Léonie awakens, what does she realize?
(a) She has wet her bed.
(b) She is too scared to scream.
(c) She is not alone in the bed.
(d) The window has opened on its own.
15. When is Léonie's birthday?
(a) 2 weeks before Thérèse's.
(b) A year to the day later.
(c) Just a week after Thérèse's.
(d) The same day as Thérèse's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the girls bring up from the cellar?
2. Why has Thérèse come to the farmhouse?
3. Who took the photograph of Léonie and Thérèse?
4. What does Antoinette wish?
5. What has Léonie been doing while Thérèse has been in the convent?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)