|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Léonie enjoy?
(a) Teasing Thérèse unmercifully.
(b) Climbing the apple tree everyday while visiting Thérèse.
(c) Being a foreigner for a change.
(d) Brushing her hair one-hundred strokes every night.
2. What does Baptiste do to gain the attention of the two girls?
(a) Swings down out of a tree to scare them.
(b) Treats some kittens cruelly.
(c) Rides bareback on a horse while standing up.
(d) Shoots at pigeons on the rooftop.
3. What do the two girls do to save the "dead" baby doll?
(b) Give CPR.
(c) Pray over it.
(d) Nothing. They know the doll can't be dead.
4. How does Léonie help Louis?
(a) Spreading horse manure.
(b) Picking blueberries.
(c) Pulling weeds.
(d) Raking the orchard.
5. Where do Thérèse and Léonie walk?
(a) Into the living room.
(b) Into the conservatory.
(c) Into the kitchen.
(d) Upstairs to the library.
6. Who has died at the beginning of Chapter 22?
(c) Soeur Dosithée.
7. Why does Victorine takes Léonie and Thérèse into the woods?
(a) To show them their ancestors' graves.
(b) To pick berries.
(c) To have them help her plant more apple trees.
(d) To teach them woods lore.
8. What happens when Léonie goes down to the cellar floor?
(a) Her light goes out.
(b) She sees hundreds of bottles of wine.
(c) She finds bones.
(d) She meets an elderly man.
9. What do the girls do after being exhausted from fighting?
(a) Have a sexual encounter.
(b) Go downstairs for hot chocolate.
(c) Go play with the kittens in the barn.
(d) Go to sleep.
10. Where will Thérèse sleep?
(a) In the master bedroom where her parents slept.
(b) In the attic.
(c) In the tiny guest room in the back of the house.
(d) In a guest cottage near the main house.
11. What does Thérèse notice as the only things that have changed?
(a) The bedspreades.
(b) The curtins.
(c) The wallpaper.
(d) The appliances.
12. What does Antoinette do under the influence of morphine?
(a) Sleeps as if dead.
(b) Tells Louis that he is not her husband.
(c) They did not have morphine at that time.
(d) Has nightmares and moves in her sleep.
13. What does Louis suffer after Antoinette dies?
(a) Feelings of guilt since he had been tired of caring for her.
(b) A period of intense grief.
(c) Feelings of confusion.
(d) A feeling of relief.
14. What does Antoinette wish?
(a) That Antoinette had married Thérèse's father.
(b) That Henri had lived to see the girls.
(c) That the girls were sisters.
(d) That the girls are not so fair-haired.
15. What happens to what the girls bring up from the cellar?
(a) The gardener kills them.
(b) Antoinette tosses it in the fire.
(c) The cook is making a white sauce with them.
(d) Henri says it was from when they made wine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is in trouble with the adults?
2. What does the new priest do when he arrives in the town near the farmhouse?
3. Who cares for Thérèse the first year and a half of her life?
4. How does Thérèse arrive?
5. Who claims to see the devil hiding behind the curtains?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)