|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who informed Jessica and Esmond of some American idioms?
2. Who owned the business for which Esmond worked?
3. To which state did Donahue invite Jessica and Esmond to travel with him?
4. What did Jessica and Esmond do with their evenings in Washington?
5. What did Dave Scherman tell Jessica and Esmond about Donahue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Esmond find a job doing in Washington, D.C.?
2. What trouble did Jessica and Esmond run into with an electric company?
3. What was the situation in Europe in 1939?
4. With whom did Jessica find a new job in 1939?
5. Why did Jessica and Esmond leave Spain?
6. With whom did Jessica and Esmond stay in Martha's Vineyard? What types of people did they meet in Martha's Vineyard?
7. While living in Washington, D.C., what were the Romillys hired to write and by whom?
8. What did a friend offer Jessica and Esmond to help with their financial troubles?
9. How did Esmond come to be part owner of a restaurant in Miami?
10. Where did Esmond find employment, and how was the pay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jessica's humor in her memoir. What kind of humor does she use? How does this affect the reader's experience? Of what events does she make light that might be surprising to some?
Essay Topic 2
What is socialism? Why did Jessica believe in socialism? How did her belief in socialism affect her personal relationships? How did her belief in socialism influence her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jessica's struggles throughout the memoir. What caused these obstacles, and how did she deal with them? Was she able to overcome them? Why or why not?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)