|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Jessica feel about living in Spain with Esmond?
2. Where did Esmond work after returning to London from France?
3. Which of her sisters did Jessica miss and wonder about while she was in America?
4. Where did Jessica and Esmond stay at a small cottage?
5. What did Jessica and Esmond spend their afternoons doing in Spain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Jessica refuse to have lunch on the ship that Nancy was supposed to have been on?
2. With whom did Jessica and Esmond stay in Martha's Vineyard? What types of people did they meet in Martha's Vineyard?
3. In the time after they left New York, what would Jessica and Esmond discuss with many of the people they met?
4. What story was replayed in the press when Jessica and Esmond moved to New York?
5. What was the situation in Europe in 1939?
6. What did Jessica think of the protest meeting held by the Communists that she attended?
7. How did Jessica and Esmond spend their first days in New York?
8. What did Jessica realize differed between she and Kay Graham?
9. What was a typical day like for Jessica and Esmond in Bilbao?
10. How did Esmond come to be part owner of a restaurant in Miami?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Mitford sisters. Who were they and why were they famous? What was exceptional about these sisters? What defined each sister? What was Jessica's relationship like with each sister?
Essay Topic 2
What is pacifism? Did Jessica believe in pacifism? Why or why not? What are the principles of pacifism?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the external events that took place while Jessica was growing up and living with Esmond. How did these events shape and influence her beliefs and actions?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)