|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money did Esmond borrow from the Meyers to invest in a bar?
2. What was Esmond's weekly salary at his New York job?
3. How did the people the Romillys met in Washington feel about the American government's economic programs?
4. What did Esmond and Jessica collect in preparation for moving to America?
5. In which month did Jessica and Esmond arrive in New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Jessica and Esmond leave Spain?
2. What did Jessica think of the protest meeting held by the Communists that she attended?
3. Whom did Jessica and Esmond ask for permission to marry?
4. How did Esmond come to be part owner of a restaurant in Miami?
5. Why did Esmond and Jessica decide to go to Washington, D.C.?
6. What did Jessica realize differed between she and Kay Graham?
7. How did Jessica and Esmond spend their first days in New York?
8. Where did Esmond find employment, and how was the pay?
9. Who was Mr. Donahue, and what did he do?
10. What story was replayed in the press when Jessica and Esmond moved to New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of the memoir "Daughters and Rebels." Did you like the ending? Was it surprising at all? Are there any unanswered questions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the class system as it is portrayed in the memoir. Where was Jessica's family in regard to the class system? In what ways did her family try to "keep up appearances"? How was her life dictated by the social rules set out for her class?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jessica's parents. How would you describe her parents? What was their relationship like with Jessica?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)