|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game did Esmond believe that he found a system to win at?
2. Where did Jessica and Esmond stay in New York?
3. While traveling, what impressed Jessica and Esmond about Americans?
4. Where did Esmond work after returning to London from France?
5. Where did Jessica attend a protest meeting held by the Communist Party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Jessica and Esmond's daughter?
2. Who was Mr. Donahue, and what did he do?
3. What trouble did Jessica and Esmond run into with an electric company?
4. Where did Esmond find employment, and how was the pay?
5. Why did Jessica and Esmond decide to emigrate to America?
6. What idea did Esmond come up with to make money in America?
7. How did Jessica and Esmond spend their first days in New York?
8. How did Jessica and Esmond end up in Miami?
9. What did a friend offer Jessica and Esmond to help with their financial troubles?
10. Whom did Jessica and Esmond ask for permission to marry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jessica's childhood. What did she say about her childhood? What struggles did she face? Did she have a happy childhood? Why or why not? What was her relationship like with her parents and siblings during her childhood? What concerned her in her youth?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jessica's parents. How would you describe her parents? What was their relationship like with Jessica?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jessica's desire for education growing up. In what form did she receive education during her childhood? What did she fear would happen if she did not receive a proper education? Why didn't her mother allow her to go to school? What did her mother think was the role of women?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)