|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of her sisters did Jessica miss and wonder about while she was in America?
2. Where did Jessica attend a protest meeting held by the Communist Party?
3. What newspaper did Kay Graham's father own?
4. In which area of New York did Jessica and Esmond rent an apartment?
5. In which town did Jessica and Esmond live in Spain?
Short Essay Questions
1. While living in Washington, D.C., what were the Romillys hired to write and by whom?
2. What happened to Jessica and Esmond's daughter?
3. What did Esmond find a job doing in Washington, D.C.?
4. What did Jessica realize differed between she and Kay Graham?
5. Who was Mr. Donahue, and what did he do?
6. What did the Durrs ask Jessica and Esmond about when they visited for dinner?
7. What was a typical day like for Jessica and Esmond in Bilbao?
8. Why did Jessica refuse to have lunch on the ship that Nancy was supposed to have been on?
9. How did Jessica and Esmond end up in Miami?
10. With whom did Jessica find a new job in 1939?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss some of the anecdotes in the memoir. Why might Jessica have decided to share these particular memoirs with the reader? In what tone are these anecdotes written? What do they tell us about the author?
Essay Topic 2
What is fascism? What did Jessica think of fascism? How did fascism cause problems for Jessica and her family?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jessica's childhood. What did she say about her childhood? What struggles did she face? Did she have a happy childhood? Why or why not? What was her relationship like with her parents and siblings during her childhood? What concerned her in her youth?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)