|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Jessica and Esmond stay in New York?
2. As Hitler continued to take territory in Europe, what did Esmond sell an article about?
3. Where did Jessica find work in New York?
4. After the death of their daughter, to where did Esmond and Jessica travel?
5. What made Esmond and Jessica decide to get their American tour started?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Jessica and Esmond's daughter?
2. How did Jessica and Esmond end up in Miami?
3. What trouble did Jessica and Esmond run into with an electric company?
4. Why did Jessica and Esmond leave Spain?
5. What did a friend offer Jessica and Esmond to help with their financial troubles?
6. Whom did Jessica and Esmond ask for permission to marry?
7. What story was replayed in the press when Jessica and Esmond moved to New York?
8. What did Jessica realize differed between she and Kay Graham?
9. Where did Jessica and Esmond find employment in London?
10. How did Esmond come to be part owner of a restaurant in Miami?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Mitford sisters. Who were they and why were they famous? What was exceptional about these sisters? What defined each sister? What was Jessica's relationship like with each sister?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the class system as it is portrayed in the memoir. Where was Jessica's family in regard to the class system? In what ways did her family try to "keep up appearances"? How was her life dictated by the social rules set out for her class?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jessica's desire for education growing up. In what form did she receive education during her childhood? What did she fear would happen if she did not receive a proper education? Why didn't her mother allow her to go to school? What did her mother think was the role of women?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)