|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which state did Donahue invite Jessica and Esmond to travel with him?
2. What method did Esmond use to sell his products in Washington?
3. What puzzled Jessica and Esmond about American politics?
4. For which magazine did Michael Straight work?
5. Instead of New Orleans, where did the Romillys end up after getting lost?
Short Essay Questions
1. What idea did Esmond come up with to make money in America?
2. What trouble did Jessica and Esmond run into with an electric company?
3. What did Jessica think of the protest meeting held by the Communists that she attended?
4. In the time after they left New York, what would Jessica and Esmond discuss with many of the people they met?
5. What happened to Jessica and Esmond's daughter?
6. What did Jessica realize differed between she and Kay Graham?
7. What was the situation in Europe in 1939?
8. What did Jessica and Esmond decide to do after Esmond lost his job?
9. What story was replayed in the press when Jessica and Esmond moved to New York?
10. What did the Durrs ask Jessica and Esmond about when they visited for dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jessica's desire for education growing up. In what form did she receive education during her childhood? What did she fear would happen if she did not receive a proper education? Why didn't her mother allow her to go to school? What did her mother think was the role of women?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of "Daughters and Rebels." Was Jessica a writer by trade? What other works did she write? Can any connections be made between this memoir and her other works? In what style did she write this book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what happened to Jessica after her husband's death. Was the direction in which she went surprising? What notable things occurred in her later years?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)