|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Jessica and Esmond hired to write about?
2. Why did Jessica and Esmond travel to Washington, D.C.?
3. What did Donahue want Jessica and Esmond to do?
4. What story was replayed in the New York papers after Jessica and Esmond moved there?
5. How did Jessica and Esmond amass a large electricity bill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Durrs ask Jessica and Esmond about when they visited for dinner?
2. How did Jessica and Esmond spend their first days in New York?
3. How did Jessica and Esmond lose all their money in France?
4. With whom did Jessica and Esmond stay in Martha's Vineyard? What types of people did they meet in Martha's Vineyard?
5. In the time after they left New York, what would Jessica and Esmond discuss with many of the people they met?
6. Whom did Jessica and Esmond ask for permission to marry?
7. What was a typical day like for Jessica and Esmond in Bilbao?
8. What idea did Esmond come up with to make money in America?
9. What did Jessica think of the protest meeting held by the Communists that she attended?
10. What trouble did Jessica and Esmond run into with an electric company?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the external events that took place while Jessica was growing up and living with Esmond. How did these events shape and influence her beliefs and actions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of "Daughters and Rebels." Was Jessica a writer by trade? What other works did she write? Can any connections be made between this memoir and her other works? In what style did she write this book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jessica's desire for education growing up. In what form did she receive education during her childhood? What did she fear would happen if she did not receive a proper education? Why didn't her mother allow her to go to school? What did her mother think was the role of women?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)