|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After returning to London, how did Esmond try to earn extra money?
2. Who owned the business for which Esmond worked?
3. How long did Jessica and Esmond stay together in America?
4. What did Esmond and Jessica collect in preparation for moving to America?
5. How did Jessica and Esmond amass a large electricity bill?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the time after they left New York, what would Jessica and Esmond discuss with many of the people they met?
2. What did Jessica and Esmond decide to do after Esmond lost his job?
3. What happened to Jessica and Esmond's daughter?
4. While living in Washington, D.C., what were the Romillys hired to write and by whom?
5. With whom did Jessica and Esmond stay in Martha's Vineyard? What types of people did they meet in Martha's Vineyard?
6. Why did Jessica refuse to have lunch on the ship that Nancy was supposed to have been on?
7. Why did Jessica and Esmond leave Spain?
8. Why did Jessica and Esmond decide to emigrate to America?
9. What did Jessica realize differed between she and Kay Graham?
10. What was a typical day like for Jessica and Esmond in Bilbao?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jessica's humor in her memoir. What kind of humor does she use? How does this affect the reader's experience? Of what events does she make light that might be surprising to some?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of "Daughters and Rebels." Was Jessica a writer by trade? What other works did she write? Can any connections be made between this memoir and her other works? In what style did she write this book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss some of the anecdotes in the memoir. Why might Jessica have decided to share these particular memoirs with the reader? In what tone are these anecdotes written? What do they tell us about the author?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)