|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the conflict in Europe, which side's position did Esmond support?
2. Where did Jessica attend a protest meeting held by the Communist Party?
3. To what group did many of Jessica and Esmond's London friends belong?
4. What did Jessica and Esmond decide to wait for prior to returning to England?
5. In which town did Jessica and Esmond live in Spain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jessica and Esmond decide to do after Esmond lost his job?
2. How did Esmond come to be part owner of a restaurant in Miami?
3. Where did Jessica and Esmond find employment in London?
4. What did a friend offer Jessica and Esmond to help with their financial troubles?
5. What trouble did Jessica and Esmond run into with an electric company?
6. Who was Mr. Donahue, and what did he do?
7. Why did Jessica refuse to have lunch on the ship that Nancy was supposed to have been on?
8. With whom did Jessica and Esmond stay in Martha's Vineyard? What types of people did they meet in Martha's Vineyard?
9. Where did Esmond find employment, and how was the pay?
10. In the time after they left New York, what would Jessica and Esmond discuss with many of the people they met?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss some of the anecdotes in the memoir. Why might Jessica have decided to share these particular memoirs with the reader? In what tone are these anecdotes written? What do they tell us about the author?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jessica's time in America. Why did she and Esmond move there? What struggles did they face while there? What people did they meet in America? How did they make ends meet?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of the memoir "Daughters and Rebels." Did you like the ending? Was it surprising at all? Are there any unanswered questions?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)