|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Jessica feel while attending the Communist Party meeting?
2. How long did Jessica and Esmond stay together in America?
3. In which season did Jessica and Esmond return to London from Corsica?
4. How much did Jessica receive from her trust fund when she turned 21?
5. What was Michael Straight's position at the magazine for which he worked?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jessica and Esmond lose all their money in France?
2. In the time after they left New York, what would Jessica and Esmond discuss with many of the people they met?
3. Why did Jessica and Esmond decide to emigrate to America?
4. What trouble did Jessica and Esmond run into with an electric company?
5. How did Jessica and Esmond end up in Miami?
6. With whom did Jessica find a new job in 1939?
7. Whom did Jessica and Esmond ask for permission to marry?
8. With whom did Jessica and Esmond stay in Martha's Vineyard? What types of people did they meet in Martha's Vineyard?
9. Why did Esmond and Jessica decide to go to Washington, D.C.?
10. Why did Jessica refuse to have lunch on the ship that Nancy was supposed to have been on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the external events that took place while Jessica was growing up and living with Esmond. How did these events shape and influence her beliefs and actions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what happened to Jessica after her husband's death. Was the direction in which she went surprising? What notable things occurred in her later years?
Essay Topic 3
What is socialism? Why did Jessica believe in socialism? How did her belief in socialism affect her personal relationships? How did her belief in socialism influence her life?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)