|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving Spain, which of her sisters did Jessica meet in France?
2. Why did Jessica and Esmond decide to move to America?
3. In which city did Esmond and Jessica try out his game-winning system?
4. After returning to London, how did Esmond try to earn extra money?
5. In which area of New York did Jessica and Esmond rent an apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Esmond come to be part owner of a restaurant in Miami?
2. With whom did Jessica and Esmond stay in Martha's Vineyard? What types of people did they meet in Martha's Vineyard?
3. What idea did Esmond come up with to make money in America?
4. How did Jessica and Esmond end up in Miami?
5. Who was Mr. Donahue, and what did he do?
6. Why did Jessica and Esmond decide to emigrate to America?
7. In the time after they left New York, what would Jessica and Esmond discuss with many of the people they met?
8. Where did Jessica and Esmond find employment in London?
9. What story was replayed in the press when Jessica and Esmond moved to New York?
10. While living in Washington, D.C., what were the Romillys hired to write and by whom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the class system as it is portrayed in the memoir. Where was Jessica's family in regard to the class system? In what ways did her family try to "keep up appearances"? How was her life dictated by the social rules set out for her class?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the external events that took place while Jessica was growing up and living with Esmond. How did these events shape and influence her beliefs and actions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jessica's time in France. Why did she move to France? What did she and Esmond do while there? What struggles did they face?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)