|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving Spain, which of her sisters did Jessica meet in France?
2. What amazed Jessica about living in Spain?
3. For which magazine did Michael Straight work?
4. After being cut off by her family, what job did Jessica do to earn money?
5. What did Esmond plan to do in New Orleans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the situation in Europe in 1939?
2. What idea did Esmond come up with to make money in America?
3. How did Jessica and Esmond spend their first days in New York?
4. Why did Jessica refuse to have lunch on the ship that Nancy was supposed to have been on?
5. What did Jessica think of the protest meeting held by the Communists that she attended?
6. While living in Washington, D.C., what were the Romillys hired to write and by whom?
7. With whom did Jessica find a new job in 1939?
8. Why did Jessica and Esmond leave Spain?
9. With whom did Jessica and Esmond stay in Martha's Vineyard? What types of people did they meet in Martha's Vineyard?
10. How did Jessica and Esmond end up in Miami?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jessica's struggles throughout the memoir. What caused these obstacles, and how did she deal with them? Was she able to overcome them? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss some of the anecdotes in the memoir. Why might Jessica have decided to share these particular memoirs with the reader? In what tone are these anecdotes written? What do they tell us about the author?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of the memoir "Daughters and Rebels." Did you like the ending? Was it surprising at all? Are there any unanswered questions?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)