|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On their travels, what did Esmond and Jessica discuss with many of the people they met?
2. Which of her sisters did Jessica miss and wonder about while she was in America?
3. What method did Esmond use to sell his products in Washington?
4. Where did Esmond find a job working in New York?
5. What was Clifford Durr's wife's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Jessica and Esmond leave Spain?
2. What was a typical day like for Jessica and Esmond in Bilbao?
3. What story was replayed in the press when Jessica and Esmond moved to New York?
4. What was the situation in Europe in 1939?
5. Whom did Jessica and Esmond ask for permission to marry?
6. With whom did Jessica find a new job in 1939?
7. Where did Jessica and Esmond find employment in London?
8. In the time after they left New York, what would Jessica and Esmond discuss with many of the people they met?
9. What did Jessica think of the protest meeting held by the Communists that she attended?
10. What did the Durrs ask Jessica and Esmond about when they visited for dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jessica's struggles throughout the memoir. What caused these obstacles, and how did she deal with them? Was she able to overcome them? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jessica's desire for education growing up. In what form did she receive education during her childhood? What did she fear would happen if she did not receive a proper education? Why didn't her mother allow her to go to school? What did her mother think was the role of women?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jessica's parents. How would you describe her parents? What was their relationship like with Jessica?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)