|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving Spain, which of her sisters did Jessica meet in France?
2. In which month did Jessica and Esmond arrive in New York?
3. What kind of shop did Miss Warren run?
4. How did the people the Romillys met in Washington feel about the American government's economic programs?
5. Where did Jessica and Esmond stay in New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jessica and Esmond end up in Miami?
2. Where did Esmond find employment, and how was the pay?
3. What did Jessica and Esmond decide to do after Esmond lost his job?
4. Who was Mr. Donahue, and what did he do?
5. What idea did Esmond come up with to make money in America?
6. Why did Jessica and Esmond leave Spain?
7. What trouble did Jessica and Esmond run into with an electric company?
8. What did the Durrs ask Jessica and Esmond about when they visited for dinner?
9. What did Jessica think of the protest meeting held by the Communists that she attended?
10. With whom did Jessica and Esmond stay in Martha's Vineyard? What types of people did they meet in Martha's Vineyard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jessica's desire for education growing up. In what form did she receive education during her childhood? What did she fear would happen if she did not receive a proper education? Why didn't her mother allow her to go to school? What did her mother think was the role of women?
Essay Topic 2
What is socialism? Why did Jessica believe in socialism? How did her belief in socialism affect her personal relationships? How did her belief in socialism influence her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the class system as it is portrayed in the memoir. Where was Jessica's family in regard to the class system? In what ways did her family try to "keep up appearances"? How was her life dictated by the social rules set out for her class?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)