|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were the Mitford girls at one point disallowed from visiting Diana?
2. Where did Mrs. Mitford have a home that the family occasionally visited?
3. What were Jessica and the other children curious about their aunt who lived in a London flat?
4. Where did Jessica learn that Esmond had run away from school?
5. What did the Mitford children call their mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused tension between Jessica and one of her sisters on the cruise to the Mediterranean?
2. What effect did the friends Nancy invited to visit Swinbrook have on Jessica?
3. What was the Society of Hons?
4. Explain Jessica's relationship with a girl named Rose.
5. What sort of education did the Mitford children receive?
6. With plans to attend university, what worried Jessica about her schooling?
7. What did Jessica think of the Romilly brothers' book?
8. What did the younger generation blame for the problems of the 1930s?
9. How did Jessica feel about the wedding of her sister Diana, and why didn't she attend?
10. In the late 1930s, how did Muv try to make Jessica, bored and frustrated with her life, feel better about her future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is socialism? Why did Jessica believe in socialism? How did her belief in socialism affect her personal relationships? How did her belief in socialism influence her life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jessica's relationship with Esmond. How did they meet? What did they have in common? How did they interact with each other? What struggles did Esmond face?
Essay Topic 3
What is fascism? What did Jessica think of fascism? How did fascism cause problems for Jessica and her family?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)