|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jessica call the savings account she opened?
2. What did Jessica quarrel about with Diana and Boud when they returned to Swinbrook?
3. With whom did Muv arrange for Jessica to go on a shopping date?
4. What did the Mitford children call their mother?
5. How did Muv try to solve the boredom and monotony of Jessica's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Esmond decide he would join the service and fight in Europe?
2. What was a typical day like for Jessica and Esmond in Bilbao?
3. What did Giles Romilly tell Jessica when they met for the first time?
4. What ruse did Jessica come up with to disguise her plans to go to Spain?
5. What sort of education did the Mitford children receive?
6. How did Esmond come to be part owner of a restaurant in Miami?
7. What idea did Esmond come up with to make money in America?
8. What did the younger generation blame for the problems of the 1930s?
9. Where did Esmond find employment, and how was the pay?
10. What caused tension between Jessica and one of her sisters on the cruise to the Mediterranean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the external events that took place while Jessica was growing up and living with Esmond. How did these events shape and influence her beliefs and actions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jessica's struggles throughout the memoir. What caused these obstacles, and how did she deal with them? Was she able to overcome them? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jessica's desire for education growing up. In what form did she receive education during her childhood? What did she fear would happen if she did not receive a proper education? Why didn't her mother allow her to go to school? What did her mother think was the role of women?
This section contains 1,355 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)