|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Jessica and Esmond go directly upon arriving in Spain?
2. What distinguished group did the Mitfords belong to?
3. Why were the Mitford girls at one point disallowed from visiting Diana?
4. Who was the only sibling at Swinbrook with Jessica after her debut season?
5. What was the viewpoint of the magazine Esmond published?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jessica organize with her friend Peter Nevile?
2. Where did Jessica's political beliefs lie in the 1930s?
3. What did Giles Romilly tell Jessica when they met for the first time?
4. What was the Mitfords' home in London like?
5. What did Jessica think of the Romilly brothers' book?
6. Explain Jessica's relationship with a girl named Rose.
7. How did Jessica and Esmond intend to cover their expenses in Spain?
8. Why was Jessica disappointed by her debut season?
9. What was Jessica and Esmond's boat trip to Spain like?
10. Why didn't the Mitfords immediately approve of Diana's engagement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jessica's childhood. What did she say about her childhood? What struggles did she face? Did she have a happy childhood? Why or why not? What was her relationship like with her parents and siblings during her childhood? What concerned her in her youth?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Mitford sisters. Who were they and why were they famous? What was exceptional about these sisters? What defined each sister? What was Jessica's relationship like with each sister?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss some of the anecdotes in the memoir. Why might Jessica have decided to share these particular memoirs with the reader? In what tone are these anecdotes written? What do they tell us about the author?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)