|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days did it take to reach Spain by boat from London?
2. Where did Jessica and Esmond go directly upon arriving in Spain?
3. As part of her social debut, where was Jessica presented?
4. What was Esmond's surname?
5. Which principle did the Mitfords' father strongly believe in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Mitfords' home in London like?
2. Where did Jessica's political beliefs lie in the 1930s?
3. What did Jessica find out about her cousin Esmond in London?
4. With an awareness of poverty, what idea did Jessica come up with as a child?
5. What did Giles Romilly tell Jessica when they met for the first time?
6. With plans to attend university, what worried Jessica about her schooling?
7. How did Jessica and Esmond intend to cover their expenses in Spain?
8. Explain Jessica's relationship with a girl named Rose.
9. Where did Jessica go for a year around the age of 15-16?
10. What did Jessica think about her aunts and uncles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jessica's time in Spain. Why did she move to Spain? What did she and Esmond do while there? What struggles did they face? Why did Jessica and Esmond leave Spain?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of "Daughters and Rebels." Was Jessica a writer by trade? What other works did she write? Can any connections be made between this memoir and her other works? In what style did she write this book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jessica's struggles throughout the memoir. What caused these obstacles, and how did she deal with them? Was she able to overcome them? Why or why not?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)