|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What organization did Jessica join in her teens?
2. What was the educational philosophy of Swinbrook House?
3. What was the viewpoint of the magazine Esmond published?
4. Who was the only sibling at Swinbrook with Jessica after her debut season?
5. What was the name of the Mitford son?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jessica and Esmond intend to cover their expenses in Spain?
2. What was the Mitfords' home in London like?
3. How was Hitler involved with the Mitford family?
4. What effect did the friends Nancy invited to visit Swinbrook have on Jessica?
5. Why wasn't Jessica able to travel to Spain on the day that had been planned?
6. After Diana married, how did Jessica's opinion of her change?
7. How did Jessica feel about the wedding of her sister Diana, and why didn't she attend?
8. Where did Jessica go for a year around the age of 15-16?
9. What caused tension between Jessica and one of her sisters on the cruise to the Mediterranean?
10. What did Jessica find out about her cousin Esmond in London?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is pacifism? Did Jessica believe in pacifism? Why or why not? What are the principles of pacifism?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jessica's relationship with Esmond. How did they meet? What did they have in common? How did they interact with each other? What struggles did Esmond face?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jessica's struggles throughout the memoir. What caused these obstacles, and how did she deal with them? Was she able to overcome them? Why or why not?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)