|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What establishment did Jessica find Esmond had opened in London?
2. Where did Jessica and Esmond go directly upon arriving in Spain?
3. What did Jessica think of her married aunts?
4. At the end of Chapter 12, why did Jessica want to meet Esmond?
5. Who of the following did not go on holiday in the spring of 1936?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Society of Hons?
2. Where did Jessica go for a year around the age of 15-16?
3. What effect did the friends Nancy invited to visit Swinbrook have on Jessica?
4. What was the Mitfords' home in London like?
5. How was Hitler involved with the Mitford family?
6. What did Jessica think about her aunts and uncles?
7. Where did Jessica's political beliefs lie in the 1930s?
8. How did Jessica feel about the wedding of her sister Diana, and why didn't she attend?
9. Why didn't the Mitfords immediately approve of Diana's engagement?
10. What did the younger generation blame for the problems of the 1930s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Mitford sisters. Who were they and why were they famous? What was exceptional about these sisters? What defined each sister? What was Jessica's relationship like with each sister?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jessica's time in America. Why did she and Esmond move there? What struggles did they face while there? What people did they meet in America? How did they make ends meet?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what happened to Jessica after her husband's death. Was the direction in which she went surprising? What notable things occurred in her later years?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)