|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Nancy publish in the 1920s?
2. Why did the girl with whom Jessica exchanged letters return home quickly after arriving at Swinbrook?
3. Why didn't Jessica attend Diana's wedding?
4. In a phony letter, where did Jessica's cousins invite her to go?
5. While Jessica was planning to go to Spain, where was Muv making plans to go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't the Mitfords immediately approve of Diana's engagement?
2. What was the Mitfords' home in London like?
3. After Diana married, how did Jessica's opinion of her change?
4. What was Jessica and Esmond's boat trip to Spain like?
5. Explain Jessica's relationship with a girl named Rose.
6. What did Jessica think about her aunts and uncles?
7. What was the Society of Hons?
8. What did Jessica find out about her cousin Esmond in London?
9. In the late 1930s, how did Muv try to make Jessica, bored and frustrated with her life, feel better about her future?
10. What effect did the friends Nancy invited to visit Swinbrook have on Jessica?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jessica's humor in her memoir. What kind of humor does she use? How does this affect the reader's experience? Of what events does she make light that might be surprising to some?
Essay Topic 2
What is fascism? What did Jessica think of fascism? How did fascism cause problems for Jessica and her family?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the class system as it is portrayed in the memoir. Where was Jessica's family in regard to the class system? In what ways did her family try to "keep up appearances"? How was her life dictated by the social rules set out for her class?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)