|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the only sibling at Swinbrook with Jessica after her debut season?
2. Why were the Mitford girls at one point disallowed from visiting Diana?
3. With whom did Muv arrange for Jessica to go on a shopping date?
4. Where did Jessica learn that Esmond had run away from school?
5. Who of the following did not go on holiday in the spring of 1936?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the younger generation blame for the problems of the 1930s?
2. What did Giles Romilly tell Jessica when they met for the first time?
3. With plans to attend university, what worried Jessica about her schooling?
4. What ruse did Jessica come up with to disguise her plans to go to Spain?
5. What was the Romilly brothers' book about?
6. What did Jessica think of the Romilly brothers' book?
7. Where did Jessica's political beliefs lie in the 1930s?
8. What was the Society of Hons?
9. What did Jessica find out about her cousin Esmond in London?
10. Explain Jessica's relationship with a girl named Rose.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the class system as it is portrayed in the memoir. Where was Jessica's family in regard to the class system? In what ways did her family try to "keep up appearances"? How was her life dictated by the social rules set out for her class?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jessica's time in France. Why did she move to France? What did she and Esmond do while there? What struggles did they face?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jessica's time in America. Why did she and Esmond move there? What struggles did they face while there? What people did they meet in America? How did they make ends meet?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)