|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Jessica around the time of Diana's wedding?
2. Where did Esmond open his establishment in London?
3. What caused Jessica to have a fistfight with one of her sisters while on the cruise holiday?
4. What were Jessica and the other children curious about their aunt who lived in a London flat?
5. Which political party did the Mitford family traditionally have an interest in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jessica think about her aunts and uncles?
2. What did Giles Romilly tell Jessica when they met for the first time?
3. How did Jessica and Esmond intend to cover their expenses in Spain?
4. What was Jessica and Esmond's boat trip to Spain like?
5. What ruse did Jessica come up with to disguise her plans to go to Spain?
6. What did the younger generation blame for the problems of the 1930s?
7. Why was Jessica disappointed by her debut season?
8. Explain Jessica's relationship with a girl named Rose.
9. Why wasn't Jessica able to travel to Spain on the day that had been planned?
10. What was the Mitfords' home in London like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jessica's time in France. Why did she move to France? What did she and Esmond do while there? What struggles did they face?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of "Daughters and Rebels." Was Jessica a writer by trade? What other works did she write? Can any connections be made between this memoir and her other works? In what style did she write this book?
Essay Topic 3
What is socialism? Why did Jessica believe in socialism? How did her belief in socialism affect her personal relationships? How did her belief in socialism influence her life?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)