|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mrs. Mitford have a home that the family occasionally visited?
2. Who was Dorothy Allhusen?
3. What did Nancy miss about living at Swinbrook?
4. How did Jessica feel about meeting Esmond?
5. Why did Debo and Jessica leave the school to which they were sent?
Short Essay Questions
1. With an awareness of poverty, what idea did Jessica come up with as a child?
2. How did Jessica and Esmond intend to cover their expenses in Spain?
3. With plans to attend university, what worried Jessica about her schooling?
4. What was the Romilly brothers' book about?
5. What did Jessica think about her aunts and uncles?
6. What were the institutions in which the Mitford family had an interest?
7. How did Jessica feel about the wedding of her sister Diana, and why didn't she attend?
8. What did Jessica think of the Romilly brothers' book?
9. What effect did the friends Nancy invited to visit Swinbrook have on Jessica?
10. What did Jessica find out about her cousin Esmond in London?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author of "Daughters and Rebels." Was Jessica a writer by trade? What other works did she write? Can any connections be made between this memoir and her other works? In what style did she write this book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the class system as it is portrayed in the memoir. Where was Jessica's family in regard to the class system? In what ways did her family try to "keep up appearances"? How was her life dictated by the social rules set out for her class?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jessica's time in France. Why did she move to France? What did she and Esmond do while there? What struggles did they face?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)