|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom did Muv arrange for Jessica to go on a shopping date?
2. During Jessica's debut season, what caused her mother consternation?
3. Where did Jessica and Esmond go directly upon arriving in Spain?
4. Where did Mrs. Mitford have a home that the family occasionally visited?
5. What organization did Jessica join in her teens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Jessica and Esmond's boat trip to Spain like?
2. What ruse did Jessica come up with to disguise her plans to go to Spain?
3. With an awareness of poverty, what idea did Jessica come up with as a child?
4. In the late 1930s, how did Muv try to make Jessica, bored and frustrated with her life, feel better about her future?
5. Why was Jessica disappointed by her debut season?
6. What caused tension between Jessica and one of her sisters on the cruise to the Mediterranean?
7. Why wasn't Jessica able to travel to Spain on the day that had been planned?
8. What effect did the friends Nancy invited to visit Swinbrook have on Jessica?
9. How did Jessica feel about the wedding of her sister Diana, and why didn't she attend?
10. What did the younger generation blame for the problems of the 1930s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jessica's desire for education growing up. In what form did she receive education during her childhood? What did she fear would happen if she did not receive a proper education? Why didn't her mother allow her to go to school? What did her mother think was the role of women?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jessica's parents. How would you describe her parents? What was their relationship like with Jessica?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jessica's struggles throughout the memoir. What caused these obstacles, and how did she deal with them? Was she able to overcome them? Why or why not?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)