|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which school did Jessica's cousins Giles and Esmond attend?
2. Who of the following did not go on holiday in the spring of 1936?
3. Which principle did the Mitfords' father strongly believe in?
4. To Jessica, what was the best part about being a debutante?
5. Where was the Mitford home in London?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Esmond decide he would join the service and fight in Europe?
2. What sort of education did the Mitford children receive?
3. What did the younger generation blame for the problems of the 1930s?
4. While living in Washington, D.C., what were the Romillys hired to write and by whom?
5. Where did Jessica go for a year around the age of 15-16?
6. What story was replayed in the press when Jessica and Esmond moved to New York?
7. Where did Jessica's political beliefs lie in the 1930s?
8. How did Jessica and Esmond spend their first days in New York?
9. What did Jessica find out about her cousin Esmond in London?
10. Where did Jessica and Esmond find employment in London?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jessica's humor in her memoir. What kind of humor does she use? How does this affect the reader's experience? Of what events does she make light that might be surprising to some?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jessica's parents. How would you describe her parents? What was their relationship like with Jessica?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss some of the anecdotes in the memoir. Why might Jessica have decided to share these particular memoirs with the reader? In what tone are these anecdotes written? What do they tell us about the author?
This section contains 1,285 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)