|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were Debo and Jessica sent to school for a while?
2. Why did the girl with whom Jessica exchanged letters return home quickly after arriving at Swinbrook?
3. Where was Jessica sent to study with her cousin Idden?
4. What kind of vessel did Jessica and Esmond take to Spain?
5. Where did Mrs. Mitford have a home that the family occasionally visited?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the institutions in which the Mitford family had an interest?
2. How was Hitler involved with the Mitford family?
3. What effect did the friends Nancy invited to visit Swinbrook have on Jessica?
4. Explain Jessica's relationship with a girl named Rose.
5. In the late 1930s, how did Muv try to make Jessica, bored and frustrated with her life, feel better about her future?
6. Why didn't the Mitfords immediately approve of Diana's engagement?
7. What sort of education did the Mitford children receive?
8. What did Jessica think of the Romilly brothers' book?
9. What caused tension between Jessica and one of her sisters on the cruise to the Mediterranean?
10. What did the younger generation blame for the problems of the 1930s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss some of the anecdotes in the memoir. Why might Jessica have decided to share these particular memoirs with the reader? In what tone are these anecdotes written? What do they tell us about the author?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the class system as it is portrayed in the memoir. Where was Jessica's family in regard to the class system? In what ways did her family try to "keep up appearances"? How was her life dictated by the social rules set out for her class?
Essay Topic 3
What is socialism? Why did Jessica believe in socialism? How did her belief in socialism affect her personal relationships? How did her belief in socialism influence her life?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)