|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Nancy's mother want her work published under a pseudonym?
2. How did Esmond earn a living while in Spain?
3. Where were Debo and Jessica sent to school for a while?
4. What did Jessica think of her married aunts?
5. Which of the following was in the Mitford home?
Short Essay Questions
1. With an awareness of poverty, what idea did Jessica come up with as a child?
2. In the late 1930s, how did Muv try to make Jessica, bored and frustrated with her life, feel better about her future?
3. How was Hitler involved with the Mitford family?
4. What ruse did Jessica come up with to disguise her plans to go to Spain?
5. What sort of education did the Mitford children receive?
6. Why didn't the Mitfords immediately approve of Diana's engagement?
7. With plans to attend university, what worried Jessica about her schooling?
8. Explain Jessica's relationship with a girl named Rose.
9. What did Jessica think about her aunts and uncles?
10. Why was Jessica disappointed by her debut season?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jessica's parents. How would you describe her parents? What was their relationship like with Jessica?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of the memoir "Daughters and Rebels." Did you like the ending? Was it surprising at all? Are there any unanswered questions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jessica's desire to run away as a child. What prompted her to dream of doing this? How did she prepare for such an event? What finally led her to run away? Did she ever regret doing this?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)