|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who delivered the note to the Mitfords saying Jessica and Esmond eloped?
2. Where was the Mitford home in London?
3. What distinguished group did the Mitfords belong to?
4. What did Nancy miss about living at Swinbrook?
5. What was the purpose of the Mitfords' cruise?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jessica find out about her cousin Esmond in London?
2. What was the Romilly brothers' book about?
3. Where did Jessica's political beliefs lie in the 1930s?
4. In the late 1930s, how did Muv try to make Jessica, bored and frustrated with her life, feel better about her future?
5. What was the Mitfords' home in London like?
6. Why wasn't Jessica able to travel to Spain on the day that had been planned?
7. What were the institutions in which the Mitford family had an interest?
8. Explain Jessica's relationship with a girl named Rose.
9. How was Hitler involved with the Mitford family?
10. What did Jessica think about her aunts and uncles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Mitford sisters. Who were they and why were they famous? What was exceptional about these sisters? What defined each sister? What was Jessica's relationship like with each sister?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what happened to Jessica after her husband's death. Was the direction in which she went surprising? What notable things occurred in her later years?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss some of the anecdotes in the memoir. Why might Jessica have decided to share these particular memoirs with the reader? In what tone are these anecdotes written? What do they tell us about the author?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)