|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Muv frequently play on the piano to which Jessica was forced to sing along?
2. Where did Jessica learn that Esmond had run away from school?
3. According to Muv, what did marriage result in?
4. With whom did the Mitford children have little contact at Swinbrook?
5. As part of her social debut, where was Jessica presented?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Giles Romilly tell Jessica when they met for the first time?
2. In the late 1930s, how did Muv try to make Jessica, bored and frustrated with her life, feel better about her future?
3. What caused tension between Jessica and one of her sisters on the cruise to the Mediterranean?
4. What was the Society of Hons?
5. What sort of education did the Mitford children receive?
6. How did Jessica and Esmond intend to cover their expenses in Spain?
7. Why wasn't Jessica able to travel to Spain on the day that had been planned?
8. Where did Jessica go for a year around the age of 15-16?
9. What was the Romilly brothers' book about?
10. What did Jessica think about her aunts and uncles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Mitford sisters. Who were they and why were they famous? What was exceptional about these sisters? What defined each sister? What was Jessica's relationship like with each sister?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of the memoir "Daughters and Rebels." Did you like the ending? Was it surprising at all? Are there any unanswered questions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of "Daughters and Rebels." Was Jessica a writer by trade? What other works did she write? Can any connections be made between this memoir and her other works? In what style did she write this book?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)