|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a phony letter, where did Jessica's cousins invite her to go?
2. In which town did the Mitfords' mother give gifts to the poor?
3. Where did Jessica and Esmond go directly upon arriving in Spain?
4. What was the educational philosophy of Swinbrook House?
5. At the end of Chapter 12, why did Jessica want to meet Esmond?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jessica find out about her cousin Esmond in London?
2. How did Jessica and Esmond intend to cover their expenses in Spain?
3. While living in Washington, D.C., what were the Romillys hired to write and by whom?
4. How did Jessica and Esmond lose all their money in France?
5. What did Jessica do while Esmond was fighting in Europe?
6. Why did Esmond and Jessica decide to go to Washington, D.C.?
7. After Diana married, how did Jessica's opinion of her change?
8. What were the institutions in which the Mitford family had an interest?
9. What was a typical day like for Jessica and Esmond in Bilbao?
10. Where did Jessica go for a year around the age of 15-16?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jessica's desire to run away as a child. What prompted her to dream of doing this? How did she prepare for such an event? What finally led her to run away? Did she ever regret doing this?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss some of the anecdotes in the memoir. Why might Jessica have decided to share these particular memoirs with the reader? In what tone are these anecdotes written? What do they tell us about the author?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Mitford sisters. Who were they and why were they famous? What was exceptional about these sisters? What defined each sister? What was Jessica's relationship like with each sister?
This section contains 1,337 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)