|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the magazine Esmond published?
2. While Jessica was planning to go to Spain, where was Muv making plans to go?
3. How does Jessica describe her life during her childhood?
4. Which principle did the Mitfords' father strongly believe in?
5. What did Muv frequently play on the piano to which Jessica was forced to sing along?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the younger generation blame for the problems of the 1930s?
2. What were the institutions in which the Mitford family had an interest?
3. Explain Jessica's relationship with a girl named Rose.
4. What was the Romilly brothers' book about?
5. What did Jessica organize with her friend Peter Nevile?
6. What was Jessica and Esmond's boat trip to Spain like?
7. What sort of education did the Mitford children receive?
8. Why wasn't Jessica able to travel to Spain on the day that had been planned?
9. After Diana married, how did Jessica's opinion of her change?
10. What was the Society of Hons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jessica's desire for education growing up. In what form did she receive education during her childhood? What did she fear would happen if she did not receive a proper education? Why didn't her mother allow her to go to school? What did her mother think was the role of women?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jessica's struggles throughout the memoir. What caused these obstacles, and how did she deal with them? Was she able to overcome them? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is fascism? What did Jessica think of fascism? How did fascism cause problems for Jessica and her family?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)