|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the educational philosophy of Swinbrook House?
2. Students from which university pledged not to support the government in the 1930s?
3. What did Jessica quarrel about with Diana and Boud when they returned to Swinbrook?
4. Why did Nancy's mother want her work published under a pseudonym?
5. Why were the Mitford girls at one point disallowed from visiting Diana?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't the Mitfords immediately approve of Diana's engagement?
2. How did Jessica and Esmond intend to cover their expenses in Spain?
3. Where did Jessica go for a year around the age of 15-16?
4. What did Jessica find out about her cousin Esmond in London?
5. With an awareness of poverty, what idea did Jessica come up with as a child?
6. What was the Romilly brothers' book about?
7. What was the Mitfords' home in London like?
8. What ruse did Jessica come up with to disguise her plans to go to Spain?
9. Explain Jessica's relationship with a girl named Rose.
10. What did Jessica think of the Romilly brothers' book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jessica's desire to run away as a child. What prompted her to dream of doing this? How did she prepare for such an event? What finally led her to run away? Did she ever regret doing this?
Essay Topic 2
What is fascism? What did Jessica think of fascism? How did fascism cause problems for Jessica and her family?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the class system as it is portrayed in the memoir. Where was Jessica's family in regard to the class system? In what ways did her family try to "keep up appearances"? How was her life dictated by the social rules set out for her class?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)