Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jessica describe her life during her childhood?
2. What kind of vessel did Jessica and Esmond take to Spain?
3. Which of the following was in the Mitford home?
4. What year was it at the end of Chapter 6?
5. During Jessica's debut season, what caused her mother consternation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jessica and Esmond intend to cover their expenses in Spain?
2. What did the Durrs ask Jessica and Esmond about when they visited for dinner?
3. What was the Romilly brothers' book about?
4. After Diana married, how did Jessica's opinion of her change?
5. What did Jessica think of the protest meeting held by the Communists that she attended?
6. What were the institutions in which the Mitford family had an interest?
7. What did Jessica organize with her friend Peter Nevile?
8. What ruse did Jessica come up with to disguise her plans to go to Spain?
9. What idea did Esmond come up with to make money in America?
10. What surprised Esmond and Jessica about the people they met from the American Federation of Labor?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author of "Daughters and Rebels." Was Jessica a writer by trade? What other works did she write? Can any connections be made between this memoir and her other works? In what style did she write this book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jessica's childhood. What did she say about her childhood? What struggles did she face? Did she have a happy childhood? Why or why not? What was her relationship like with her parents and siblings during her childhood? What concerned her in her youth?
Essay Topic 3
What is fascism? What did Jessica think of fascism? How did fascism cause problems for Jessica and her family?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)