|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a phony letter, where did Jessica's cousins invite her to go?
2. As part of her social debut, where was Jessica presented?
3. What was Esmond's surname?
4. With whom did Muv arrange for Jessica to go on a shopping date?
5. What skill did one of the children's governesses teach them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect did the friends Nancy invited to visit Swinbrook have on Jessica?
2. What were the institutions in which the Mitford family had an interest?
3. Why was Jessica disappointed by her debut season?
4. Where did Jessica go for a year around the age of 15-16?
5. What did Jessica find out about her cousin Esmond in London?
6. What did Jessica think of the Romilly brothers' book?
7. How was Hitler involved with the Mitford family?
8. What ruse did Jessica come up with to disguise her plans to go to Spain?
9. What sort of education did the Mitford children receive?
10. With an awareness of poverty, what idea did Jessica come up with as a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jessica's desire for education growing up. In what form did she receive education during her childhood? What did she fear would happen if she did not receive a proper education? Why didn't her mother allow her to go to school? What did her mother think was the role of women?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jessica's childhood. What did she say about her childhood? What struggles did she face? Did she have a happy childhood? Why or why not? What was her relationship like with her parents and siblings during her childhood? What concerned her in her youth?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jessica's relationship with Esmond. How did they meet? What did they have in common? How did they interact with each other? What struggles did Esmond face?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)