|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Esmond earn a living while in Spain?
2. What did Jessica think of her married aunts?
3. How did Muv try to solve the boredom and monotony of Jessica's life?
4. What was the name of the magazine Esmond published?
5. What did Tom study at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jessica think about her aunts and uncles?
2. What were the institutions in which the Mitford family had an interest?
3. How did Jessica and Esmond intend to cover their expenses in Spain?
4. What was the Society of Hons?
5. What was the Mitfords' home in London like?
6. What did Jessica think of the Romilly brothers' book?
7. What was Jessica and Esmond's boat trip to Spain like?
8. With an awareness of poverty, what idea did Jessica come up with as a child?
9. What did Giles Romilly tell Jessica when they met for the first time?
10. What did Jessica organize with her friend Peter Nevile?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jessica's time in America. Why did she and Esmond move there? What struggles did they face while there? What people did they meet in America? How did they make ends meet?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jessica's humor in her memoir. What kind of humor does she use? How does this affect the reader's experience? Of what events does she make light that might be surprising to some?
Essay Topic 3
What is socialism? Why did Jessica believe in socialism? How did her belief in socialism affect her personal relationships? How did her belief in socialism influence her life?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)