|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the Mitfords not immediately approve of Bryan Guinness?
2. Where did the Mitfords go on a cruise in spring of 1936?
3. Which political party did the Mitford family traditionally have an interest in?
4. What did Nancy miss about living at Swinbrook?
5. What was the educational philosophy of Swinbrook House?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jessica find out about her cousin Esmond in London?
2. What did Giles Romilly tell Jessica when they met for the first time?
3. Where did Jessica go for a year around the age of 15-16?
4. Why didn't the Mitfords immediately approve of Diana's engagement?
5. Why wasn't Jessica able to travel to Spain on the day that had been planned?
6. What did Jessica organize with her friend Peter Nevile?
7. How was Hitler involved with the Mitford family?
8. What caused tension between Jessica and one of her sisters on the cruise to the Mediterranean?
9. What did the younger generation blame for the problems of the 1930s?
10. How did Jessica and Esmond intend to cover their expenses in Spain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jessica's desire to run away as a child. What prompted her to dream of doing this? How did she prepare for such an event? What finally led her to run away? Did she ever regret doing this?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of "Daughters and Rebels." Was Jessica a writer by trade? What other works did she write? Can any connections be made between this memoir and her other works? In what style did she write this book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jessica's humor in her memoir. What kind of humor does she use? How does this affect the reader's experience? Of what events does she make light that might be surprising to some?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)