|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the age of 15, Jessica began to read books about what topic?
2. Where was the Mitford home in London?
3. According to Muv, what did marriage result in?
4. Which political party did the Mitford family traditionally have an interest in?
5. With whom did the Mitford children have little contact at Swinbrook?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprised Esmond and Jessica about the people they met from the American Federation of Labor?
2. How did Jessica and Esmond spend their first days in New York?
3. How did Jessica and Esmond lose all their money in France?
4. After Diana married, how did Jessica's opinion of her change?
5. How did Jessica and Esmond end up in Miami?
6. Where did Jessica go for a year around the age of 15-16?
7. What was the Society of Hons?
8. What caused tension between Jessica and one of her sisters on the cruise to the Mediterranean?
9. With plans to attend university, what worried Jessica about her schooling?
10. In the time after they left New York, what would Jessica and Esmond discuss with many of the people they met?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jessica's childhood. What did she say about her childhood? What struggles did she face? Did she have a happy childhood? Why or why not? What was her relationship like with her parents and siblings during her childhood? What concerned her in her youth?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jessica's struggles throughout the memoir. What caused these obstacles, and how did she deal with them? Was she able to overcome them? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Mitford sisters. Who were they and why were they famous? What was exceptional about these sisters? What defined each sister? What was Jessica's relationship like with each sister?
This section contains 1,322 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)