|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For which magazine did Michael Straight work?
(a) The New Republic.
(d) The Saturday Evening Post.
2. Upon arriving in New York, what did Jessica and Esmond notice about Americans?
(a) Their religious convictions.
(b) Their fashion sense.
(c) Their relative poverty.
(d) Their nationalistic feelings.
3. What newspaper did Kay Graham's father own?
(a) The Daily Hampshire Gazette.
(b) The New York Times.
(c) The New York Post.
(d) The Washington Post.
4. After the death of their daughter, to where did Esmond and Jessica travel?
5. In which season did Jessica and Esmond return to London from Corsica?
Short Answer Questions
1. What amazed Jessica about living in Spain?
2. Where did Jessica and Esmond marry?
3. How did Esmond feel about his job in Washington?
4. As Hitler continued to take territory in Europe, what did Esmond sell an article about?
5. For what was Seldon Rodman a co-editor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Jessica and Esmond's daughter?
2. With whom did Jessica find a new job in 1939?
3. What was a typical day like for Jessica and Esmond in Bilbao?
4. In the time after they left New York, what would Jessica and Esmond discuss with many of the people they met?
5. Who was Mr. Donahue, and what did he do?
6. What was the situation in Europe in 1939?
7. Where did Jessica and Esmond find employment in London?
8. What idea did Esmond come up with to make money in America?
9. What did Jessica realize differed between she and Kay Graham?
10. Why did Jessica and Esmond decide to emigrate to America?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)