|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Jessica and Esmond marry?
2. What did Esmond and Jessica collect in preparation for moving to America?
(a) Letters of introduction.
(b) Books to read on the journey.
(c) Jewelry to pawn.
(d) Savings bonds.
3. What made Esmond and Jessica decide to get their American tour started?
(a) They had saved up the right amount of money.
(b) Esmond lost his job.
(c) A friend became available to help.
(d) They thought they should do it before winter.
4. How long did it take for Esmond and Jessica to lose all their money gambling?
(a) Four and a half hours.
(b) Thirty minutes.
(c) Six hours.
(d) Two hours.
5. For what was Seldon Rodman a co-editor?
(a) A left-wing magazine.
(b) A newspaper.
(c) A medical journal.
(d) A fashion magazine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Michael Straight's position at the magazine for which he worked?
2. In which month did Jessica and Esmond arrive in New York?
3. What did Jessica and Esmond do with their evenings in Washington?
4. What kind of shop did Miss Warren run?
5. What was Esmond's weekly salary at his New York job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Esmond and Jessica decide to go to Washington, D.C.?
2. What did Jessica think of the protest meeting held by the Communists that she attended?
3. What did Jessica and Esmond decide to do after Esmond lost his job?
4. In the time after they left New York, what would Jessica and Esmond discuss with many of the people they met?
5. What did Jessica realize differed between she and Kay Graham?
6. What did the Durrs ask Jessica and Esmond about when they visited for dinner?
7. What did a friend offer Jessica and Esmond to help with their financial troubles?
8. What was the situation in Europe in 1939?
9. How did Jessica and Esmond spend their first days in New York?
10. What happened to Jessica and Esmond's daughter?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)