|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what event did Miss Warren handle the concessions?
(a) The 1939 World's Fair.
(b) The World Series.
(c) The release of the film "The Wizard of Oz."
(d) The opening of La Guardia airport.
2. Who owned the business for which Esmond worked?
(a) A playboy millionaire.
(b) A state senator.
(c) A small-time businessman.
(d) An organized-crime kingpin.
3. What did Jessica's father threaten would happen if she did not return from Spain to England?
(a) Esmond would go to prison.
(b) Jessica's father would marry her off to an old man.
(c) Esmond would be abandoned by his family.
(d) Jessica would be disinherited.
4. Why did Jessica and Esmond travel to Washington, D.C.?
(a) To attend a presidential inauguration.
(b) To visit a relative.
(c) To invest in a property development.
(d) To learn about American politics.
5. Where did Jessica and Esmond stay at a small cottage?
(a) Fenwick Island.
(b) The Hamptons.
(d) Martha's Vineyard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Horton?
2. What method did Esmond use to sell his products in Washington?
3. As Hitler continued to take territory in Europe, what did Esmond sell an article about?
4. In what school program did Esmond enroll?
5. Who offered to let Esmond and Jessica a house to stay in?
Short Essay Questions
1. While living in Washington, D.C., what were the Romillys hired to write and by whom?
2. How did Jessica and Esmond end up in Miami?
3. What was a typical day like for Jessica and Esmond in Bilbao?
4. What story was replayed in the press when Jessica and Esmond moved to New York?
5. What idea did Esmond come up with to make money in America?
6. Why did Jessica and Esmond leave Spain?
7. What did Jessica and Esmond decide to do after Esmond lost his job?
8. Whom did Jessica and Esmond ask for permission to marry?
9. How did Jessica and Esmond spend their first days in New York?
10. What did Jessica think of the protest meeting held by the Communists that she attended?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)