|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What amazed Jessica about living in Spain?
(a) The architecture.
(b) The amount of poverty.
(c) The hospitality of the locals.
(d) How much it was like England.
2. How did Esmond think that he and Jessica could make money in America?
(a) By working for a newspaper.
(b) By lecturing on English life.
(c) By selling homemade jam.
(d) By gambling.
3. Who was Mr. Donahue?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A landlord.
(c) A filmmaker.
(d) A jockey.
4. How did Jessica feel while attending the Communist Party meeting?
5. What did Jessica's father threaten would happen if she did not return from Spain to England?
(a) Esmond would go to prison.
(b) Jessica's father would marry her off to an old man.
(c) Jessica would be disinherited.
(d) Esmond would be abandoned by his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which town did Jessica and Esmond live in Spain?
2. How did Jessica feel about living in Spain with Esmond?
3. Where did Jessica and Esmond go for a vacation in June 1939?
4. What did Esmond and Jessica collect in preparation for moving to America?
5. What were Jessica and Esmond hired to write about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jessica think of the protest meeting held by the Communists that she attended?
2. What did Jessica realize differed between she and Kay Graham?
3. With whom did Jessica find a new job in 1939?
4. Where did Esmond find employment, and how was the pay?
5. Whom did Jessica and Esmond ask for permission to marry?
6. Why did Jessica refuse to have lunch on the ship that Nancy was supposed to have been on?
7. How did Jessica and Esmond lose all their money in France?
8. What story was replayed in the press when Jessica and Esmond moved to New York?
9. What idea did Esmond come up with to make money in America?
10. What did Esmond find a job doing in Washington, D.C.?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)