|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jessica's father threaten would happen if she did not return from Spain to England?
(a) Esmond would go to prison.
(b) Esmond would be abandoned by his family.
(c) Jessica's father would marry her off to an old man.
(d) Jessica would be disinherited.
2. Who helped Jessica and Esmond translate news from the radio?
(a) Their hotel's owner.
(b) Their neighbor.
(c) Jessica translated herself.
(d) A local schoolteacher.
3. How long did Jessica and Esmond stay together in America?
(a) Five years.
(b) Six months.
(c) Two years.
(d) Three and a half years.
4. What did Jessica do while Esmond was selling his wares in Washington?
(a) Took care of their son at home.
(b) Worked at a shoe shop.
(c) Worked in a library.
(d) Worked as his assistant.
5. Where did Jessica attend a protest meeting held by the Communist Party?
Short Answer Questions
1. What made Esmond and Jessica decide to get their American tour started?
2. Who informed Jessica and Esmond of some American idioms?
3. What did the Durrs ask Jessica and Esmond about at dinner?
4. What did Esmond plan to do in New Orleans?
5. Who owned the business for which Esmond worked?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the time after they left New York, what would Jessica and Esmond discuss with many of the people they met?
2. Why did Jessica and Esmond leave Spain?
3. Where did Esmond find employment, and how was the pay?
4. With whom did Jessica and Esmond stay in Martha's Vineyard? What types of people did they meet in Martha's Vineyard?
5. What did Jessica realize differed between she and Kay Graham?
6. What did Jessica and Esmond decide to do after Esmond lost his job?
7. With whom did Jessica find a new job in 1939?
8. What idea did Esmond come up with to make money in America?
9. What did Jessica think of the protest meeting held by the Communists that she attended?
10. What was the situation in Europe in 1939?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)