|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Uncle Tommy do for a living?
(a) He was an accountant.
(b) He was an artist.
(c) He was a polo player.
(d) He was a magistrate.
2. At the age of 15, Jessica began to read books about what topic?
(a) The monarchy.
(b) Human sexuality.
(c) Life in America.
3. What distinguished group did the Mitfords belong to?
(a) The Union of English Landowners.
(b) The Queen's Political Society.
(c) The Oxford University Board.
(d) The House of Lords.
4. What item did Jessica and Esmond purchase by charging it to Farve's account?
(a) A camera.
(b) A tent.
(c) A radio.
(d) A suitcase.
5. Where did Esmond open his establishment in London?
(a) In a church basement.
(b) In a cafe.
(c) In a bookstore.
(d) In an apartment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had Diana gone to study?
2. What was the name of the language Unity and Jessica made up?
3. Who was the only sibling at Swinbrook with Jessica after her debut season?
4. How did Esmond earn a living while in Spain?
5. What was the purpose of the Mitfords' cruise?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was a typical day like for Jessica and Esmond in Bilbao?
2. Why did Jessica and Esmond decide to emigrate to America?
3. Why did Jessica and Esmond leave Spain?
4. What did the younger generation blame for the problems of the 1930s?
5. How did Jessica and Esmond spend their first days in New York?
6. How did Jessica and Esmond lose all their money in France?
7. Whom did Jessica and Esmond ask for permission to marry?
8. In the late 1930s, how did Muv try to make Jessica, bored and frustrated with her life, feel better about her future?
9. What caused tension between Jessica and one of her sisters on the cruise to the Mediterranean?
10. Explain Jessica's relationship with a girl named Rose.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)