|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Mitford children call their mother?
(b) Her majesty.
(d) Mother 'M'.
2. What did Jessica call the savings account she opened?
(a) Her "University Fund" savings account.
(b) Her "Mine All Mine" savings account.
(c) Her "Rainy Day" savings account.
(d) Her "Running Away" savings account.
3. Where did Esmond open his establishment in London?
(a) In a church basement.
(b) In an apartment.
(c) In a bookstore.
(d) In a cafe.
4. Where did the Mitfords live for several months after their holiday cruise?
5. Where were Debo and Jessica sent to school for a while?
(c) High Wycombe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the children call their father?
2. What was the purpose of the Mitfords' cruise?
3. Who greeted Jessica and Esmond when they arrived in Spain?
4. With whom did Jessica become closer at the age of 15?
5. What did Muv frequently play on the piano to which Jessica was forced to sing along?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Society of Hons?
2. With plans to attend university, what worried Jessica about her schooling?
3. Why was Jessica disappointed by her debut season?
4. What were the institutions in which the Mitford family had an interest?
5. With an awareness of poverty, what idea did Jessica come up with as a child?
6. What effect did the friends Nancy invited to visit Swinbrook have on Jessica?
7. In the late 1930s, how did Muv try to make Jessica, bored and frustrated with her life, feel better about her future?
8. What was the Mitfords' home in London like?
9. What did Jessica think of the Romilly brothers' book?
10. What was Jessica and Esmond's boat trip to Spain like?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)