|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Prince Edward's love affair with which woman scandalized Britain in the late 1930s?
(a) Wallis Simpson.
(b) Diana Mitford.
(c) Alice Barrymore.
(d) Hedy Lamarr.
2. Who of the following did not go on holiday in the spring of 1936?
3. While Jessica was planning to go to Spain, where was Muv making plans to go?
(a) On a world cruise.
(b) To live in Paris for a year.
(c) To visit family in London.
(d) On a vacation in Italy.
4. What group was involved with many of the protests in the 1930s?
(a) The Catholic Church.
(b) The Red Cross.
(c) The Communists.
(d) The Fascists.
5. Why did Nancy's mother want her work published under a pseudonym?
(a) To create an air of mystery.
(b) To prevent gossiping.
(c) So Nancy's father wouldn't find out.
(d) To avoid taxes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the viewpoint of the magazine Esmond published?
2. How did Esmond earn a living while in Spain?
3. Who did Jessica learn was in Spain fighting?
4. What did Jessica think of her married aunts?
5. Who was the only sibling at Swinbrook with Jessica after her debut season?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the institutions in which the Mitford family had an interest?
2. What sort of education did the Mitford children receive?
3. How was Hitler involved with the Mitford family?
4. What did Jessica think of the Romilly brothers' book?
5. In the late 1930s, how did Muv try to make Jessica, bored and frustrated with her life, feel better about her future?
6. What was the Society of Hons?
7. Where did Jessica go for a year around the age of 15-16?
8. Where did Jessica's political beliefs lie in the 1930s?
9. How did Jessica feel about the wedding of her sister Diana, and why didn't she attend?
10. What did Jessica organize with her friend Peter Nevile?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)