|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Esmond's weekly salary at his New York job?
(a) Fifty dollars.
(b) Eighty dollars.
(c) Two hundred dollars.
(d) One hundred dollars.
2. For what event did Miss Warren handle the concessions?
(a) The release of the film "The Wizard of Oz."
(b) The opening of La Guardia airport.
(c) The World Series.
(d) The 1939 World's Fair.
3. For what was Seldon Rodman a co-editor?
(a) A fashion magazine.
(b) A medical journal.
(c) A newspaper.
(d) A left-wing magazine.
4. What was Clifford Durr's wife's name?
5. Who informed Jessica and Esmond of some American idioms?
(a) Tom Mitford.
(b) Lord Mosley.
(c) Peter Nevile.
(d) Dorothy Allhusen.
6. What were Jessica and Esmond hired to write about?
(a) Their aristocratic backgrounds.
(b) Their experiences in America.
(c) Their political views.
(d) Their time in Spain.
7. What kind of shop did Miss Warren run?
(a) A souvenir stall.
(b) A hat shop.
(c) A Scottish tweed shop.
(d) A popcorn stand.
8. What did Dave Scherman tell Jessica and Esmond about Donahue?
(a) That Donahue had been in an accident.
(b) That Donahue was a con man.
(c) That Donahue was well-respected.
(d) That Donahue had gone bankrupt.
9. What did Esmond and Jessica learn was the purpose of the business for which Esmond worked?
(a) To lose money.
(b) To launder money.
(c) To rip off rich clientele.
(d) To secretly collect information about the Nazis.
10. Where did Esmond work after returning to London from France?
(a) An advertising agency.
(b) A newspaper.
(c) A post office.
(d) A bank.
11. How long did it take for Esmond and Jessica to lose all their money gambling?
(a) Two hours.
(b) Six hours.
(c) Four and a half hours.
(d) Thirty minutes.
12. In what school program did Esmond enroll?
(b) Auto repair.
(c) Hotel management.
13. After returning to London, what did Jessica find that she did not know how to do?
(a) Drive an automobile.
(b) Buy groceries.
(c) Household chores.
(d) Send a telegram.
14. What game did Esmond believe that he found a system to win at?
(a) Horse racing.
15. What did Donahue want Jessica and Esmond to do?
(a) Attend his party at a casino.
(b) Invest in some land with him.
(c) Participate in his betting scheme.
(d) Produce a movie with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Jessica and Esmond amass a large electricity bill?
2. In which city did Esmond and Jessica try out his game-winning system?
3. How much did Jessica receive from her trust fund when she turned 21?
4. Who owned the business for which Esmond worked?
5. What did the Durrs ask Jessica and Esmond about at dinner?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)