|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who owned the business for which Esmond worked?
(a) A small-time businessman.
(b) A playboy millionaire.
(c) A state senator.
(d) An organized-crime kingpin.
2. What did Jessica and Esmond spend their afternoons doing in Spain?
(a) Scavenging for items to sell.
(b) Treating patients at a hospital.
(c) Sitting on the beach.
(d) Typing up news stories.
3. While traveling, what impressed Jessica and Esmond about Americans?
(a) Their fashion sense.
(b) Their hospitality.
(c) Their wealth.
(d) Their knowledge of England.
4. How did Jessica feel about living in Spain with Esmond?
(a) Like it was a dream.
(b) Like it was a living hell.
(c) Like it was a mistake.
(d) Like it was her destiny.
5. Upon arriving in New York, what did Jessica and Esmond notice about Americans?
(a) Their nationalistic feelings.
(b) Their relative poverty.
(c) Their religious convictions.
(d) Their fashion sense.
6. After the death of their daughter, to where did Esmond and Jessica travel?
7. Where did Esmond work in France?
(a) At an English school.
(b) At Reuters.
(c) At the British embassy.
(d) At a radio station.
8. After returning to London, how did Esmond try to earn extra money?
(a) By investing in property.
(b) By selling his paintings.
(c) By gambling.
(d) By selling articles to publications.
9. Where did Esmond work after returning to London from France?
(a) A newspaper.
(b) A bank.
(c) A post office.
(d) An advertising agency.
10. In Washington, the Romillys met people who worked for what type of agencies?
(a) Immigration agencies.
(b) Agricultural agencies.
(c) Prohibition agencies.
(d) New Deal agencies.
11. Why did Jessica and Esmond decide to move to America?
(a) To acquire some free land.
(b) To work for a newspaper.
(c) To avoid the war.
(d) To get away from their families.
12. In which city did Esmond and Jessica try out his game-winning system?
13. What did Esmond and Jessica collect in preparation for moving to America?
(a) Jewelry to pawn.
(b) Letters of introduction.
(c) Books to read on the journey.
(d) Savings bonds.
14. What did Jessica do while Esmond was selling his wares in Washington?
(a) Took care of their son at home.
(b) Worked in a library.
(c) Worked at a shoe shop.
(d) Worked as his assistant.
15. For what was Seldon Rodman a co-editor?
(a) A medical journal.
(b) A fashion magazine.
(c) A left-wing magazine.
(d) A newspaper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What puzzled Jessica and Esmond about American politics?
2. To which state did Donahue invite Jessica and Esmond to travel with him?
3. What game did Esmond believe that he found a system to win at?
4. What story was replayed in the New York papers after Jessica and Esmond moved there?
5. What made Esmond and Jessica decide to get their American tour started?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)