|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Jessica and Esmond stay in New York?
(a) The Hotel Chelsea.
(b) The Stanhope Hotel.
(c) The Shelton Hotel.
(d) The Abbey Victoria Hotel.
2. After returning to London, how did Esmond try to earn extra money?
(a) By investing in property.
(b) By gambling.
(c) By selling articles to publications.
(d) By selling his paintings.
3. How did Esmond think that he and Jessica could make money in America?
(a) By working for a newspaper.
(b) By lecturing on English life.
(c) By gambling.
(d) By selling homemade jam.
4. How long did it take for Esmond and Jessica to lose all their money gambling?
(a) Thirty minutes.
(b) Four and a half hours.
(c) Six hours.
(d) Two hours.
5. Which of Jessica's siblings became a part of her social circle in London?
6. What did Jessica and Esmond do with their evenings in Washington?
(a) Went to the movies.
(b) Read books at home.
(c) Attended social events.
(d) Wrote letters to friends in England.
7. How much money did Donahue tell Jessica and Esmond they had made?
(a) Twenty-five dollars.
(b) Seventy dollars.
(c) One hundred dollars.
(d) Forty dollars.
8. How did Jessica feel while attending the Communist Party meeting?
9. What did Dave Scherman tell Jessica and Esmond about Donahue?
(a) That Donahue had gone bankrupt.
(b) That Donahue had been in an accident.
(c) That Donahue was a con man.
(d) That Donahue was well-respected.
10. Instead of New Orleans, where did the Romillys end up after getting lost?
11. After leaving Spain, which of her sisters did Jessica meet in France?
12. Why did Jessica and Esmond decide to move to America?
(a) To acquire some free land.
(b) To work for a newspaper.
(c) To avoid the war.
(d) To get away from their families.
13. What was Clifford Durr's wife's name?
14. What did Esmond and Jessica collect in preparation for moving to America?
(a) Savings bonds.
(b) Books to read on the journey.
(c) Jewelry to pawn.
(d) Letters of introduction.
15. In which season did Jessica and Esmond return to London from Corsica?
Short Answer Questions
1. While traveling, what impressed Jessica and Esmond about Americans?
2. When did Jessica and Esmond return to London from Corsica?
3. In which town did Jessica and Esmond live in Spain?
4. Where did Jessica and Esmond go for a vacation in June 1939?
5. In which area of New York did Jessica and Esmond rent an apartment?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)