|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who owned the business for which Esmond worked?
(a) A state senator.
(b) A small-time businessman.
(c) A playboy millionaire.
(d) An organized-crime kingpin.
2. What did Jessica and Esmond decide to wait for prior to returning to England?
(a) Until they had had visited 15 states.
(b) For the fighting to begin.
(c) Until their parents had forgiven them.
(d) For their money to run out.
3. What did the Durrs ask Jessica and Esmond about at dinner?
(a) Their lives in England.
(b) Their children.
(c) Their feelings about communism.
(d) Their experiences in Spain.
4. How did Jessica feel about living in Spain with Esmond?
(a) Like it was a living hell.
(b) Like it was her destiny.
(c) Like it was a dream.
(d) Like it was a mistake.
5. Where did Jessica and Esmond marry?
6. What did Jessica's father threaten would happen if she did not return from Spain to England?
(a) Esmond would go to prison.
(b) Jessica would be disinherited.
(c) Esmond would be abandoned by his family.
(d) Jessica's father would marry her off to an old man.
7. Where did Jessica and Esmond go for a vacation in June 1939?
(a) West Virginia.
(b) New England.
8. In what school program did Esmond enroll?
(c) Auto repair.
(d) Hotel management.
9. What did Jessica do while Esmond was selling his wares in Washington?
(a) Worked as his assistant.
(b) Worked at a shoe shop.
(c) Worked in a library.
(d) Took care of their son at home.
10. How much money did Esmond borrow from the Meyers to invest in a bar?
(a) One thousand dollars.
(b) Five thousand dollars.
(c) Fifteen hundred dollars.
(d) Five hundred dollars.
11. Where did Jessica and Esmond stay in New York?
(a) The Abbey Victoria Hotel.
(b) The Hotel Chelsea.
(c) The Shelton Hotel.
(d) The Stanhope Hotel.
12. For what was Seldon Rodman a co-editor?
(a) A left-wing magazine.
(b) A newspaper.
(c) A fashion magazine.
(d) A medical journal.
13. What made Esmond and Jessica decide to get their American tour started?
(a) They had saved up the right amount of money.
(b) They thought they should do it before winter.
(c) Esmond lost his job.
(d) A friend became available to help.
14. What was Clifford Durr's wife's name?
15. To what group did many of Jessica and Esmond's London friends belong?
(a) The League of Fascists.
(b) The London Horse Club.
(c) The House of Lords.
(d) The Communist Party.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which state did Donahue invite Jessica and Esmond to travel with him?
2. After returning to London, what did Jessica find that she did not know how to do?
3. What story was replayed in the New York papers after Jessica and Esmond moved there?
4. How long did it take for Esmond and Jessica to lose all their money gambling?
5. How did the people the Romillys met in Washington feel about the American government's economic programs?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)