|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What made Esmond and Jessica decide to get their American tour started?
(a) A friend became available to help.
(b) They had saved up the right amount of money.
(c) Esmond lost his job.
(d) They thought they should do it before winter.
2. What was Esmond's weekly salary at his New York job?
(a) Eighty dollars.
(b) Fifty dollars.
(c) Two hundred dollars.
(d) One hundred dollars.
3. Who owned the business for which Esmond worked?
(a) A state senator.
(b) A small-time businessman.
(c) An organized-crime kingpin.
(d) A playboy millionaire.
4. What did Esmond and Jessica collect in preparation for moving to America?
(a) Books to read on the journey.
(b) Savings bonds.
(c) Jewelry to pawn.
(d) Letters of introduction.
5. What game did Esmond believe that he found a system to win at?
(c) Horse racing.
6. Where did Jessica and Esmond spend time visiting Kay Graham?
(a) Putnam County.
(b) Westchester County.
(c) Fairfield County.
(d) Nassau County.
7. Which of Jessica's siblings became a part of her social circle in London?
8. Why did Jessica and Esmond travel to Washington, D.C.?
(a) To attend a presidential inauguration.
(b) To visit a relative.
(c) To learn about American politics.
(d) To invest in a property development.
9. Who offered to let Esmond and Jessica a house to stay in?
(a) Roger Roughton.
(b) Esmond's uncle Winston.
(c) Jessica's aunt.
(d) Dorothy Allhusen.
10. How long did Jessica and Esmond stay together in America?
(a) Three and a half years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Two years.
(d) Six months.
11. What did Jessica do while Esmond was selling his wares in Washington?
(a) Worked in a library.
(b) Took care of their son at home.
(c) Worked as his assistant.
(d) Worked at a shoe shop.
12. How much did Jessica receive from her trust fund when she turned 21?
(a) Fifty pounts.
(b) Two hundred and fifty pounds.
(c) Five hundred pounds.
(d) One hundred pounds.
13. Where did Jessica and Esmond marry?
14. What did Donahue want Jessica and Esmond to do?
(a) Invest in some land with him.
(b) Participate in his betting scheme.
(c) Attend his party at a casino.
(d) Produce a movie with him.
15. In which city did Esmond and Jessica try out his game-winning system?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of her sisters did Jessica miss and wonder about while she was in America?
2. What did Esmond plan to do in New Orleans?
3. How did the people the Romillys met in Washington feel about the American government's economic programs?
4. Who was Horton?
5. Where did Jessica and Esmond stay in New York?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)