|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Jessica's siblings became a part of her social circle in London?
2. To which state did Donahue invite Jessica and Esmond to travel with him?
(c) New Mexico.
3. What newspaper did Kay Graham's father own?
(a) The Washington Post.
(b) The New York Times.
(c) The Daily Hampshire Gazette.
(d) The New York Post.
4. What was Clifford Durr's wife's name?
5. In Washington, the Romillys met people who worked for what type of agencies?
(a) Prohibition agencies.
(b) Agricultural agencies.
(c) Immigration agencies.
(d) New Deal agencies.
6. How did Esmond think that he and Jessica could make money in America?
(a) By working for a newspaper.
(b) By gambling.
(c) By selling homemade jam.
(d) By lecturing on English life.
7. Who was Mr. Donahue?
(a) A filmmaker.
(b) A jockey.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A landlord.
8. What did Esmond and Jessica collect in preparation for moving to America?
(a) Letters of introduction.
(b) Savings bonds.
(c) Jewelry to pawn.
(d) Books to read on the journey.
9. What was Michael Straight's position at the magazine for which he worked?
(b) Political columnist.
(c) Art director.
(d) Advertising salesman.
10. How much money did Donahue tell Jessica and Esmond they had made?
(a) Twenty-five dollars.
(b) One hundred dollars.
(c) Seventy dollars.
(d) Forty dollars.
11. What did Esmond plan to do in New Orleans?
(a) Work as a bartender.
(b) Write a book.
(c) Hold political lectures.
(d) Attend university.
12. Where did Esmond work after returning to London from France?
(a) A newspaper.
(b) A bank.
(c) A post office.
(d) An advertising agency.
13. How did Esmond feel about his job in Washington?
14. Where did Jessica find work in New York?
(a) In a cafe.
(b) In a dress shop.
(c) At a music school.
(d) In an art gallery.
15. What made Esmond and Jessica decide to get their American tour started?
(a) They had saved up the right amount of money.
(b) Esmond lost his job.
(c) They thought they should do it before winter.
(d) A friend became available to help.
Short Answer Questions
1. What puzzled Jessica and Esmond about American politics?
2. For which magazine did Michael Straight work?
3. What method did Esmond use to sell his products in Washington?
4. In which town did Jessica and Esmond live in Spain?
5. What was the pro-consul told to do in the telegram?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)