|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Jessica and Esmond decide to move to America?
(a) To get away from their families.
(b) To avoid the war.
(c) To work for a newspaper.
(d) To acquire some free land.
2. Where did Jessica and Esmond stay at a small cottage?
(a) The Hamptons.
(b) Fenwick Island.
(d) Martha's Vineyard.
3. In which town did Jessica and Esmond live in Spain?
4. In the conflict in Europe, which side's position did Esmond support?
(a) The French.
(b) The Spanish.
(c) The Soviets.
(d) The Germans.
5. What did Esmond plan to do in New Orleans?
(a) Work as a bartender.
(b) Write a book.
(c) Hold political lectures.
(d) Attend university.
6. Which of her sisters did Jessica miss and wonder about while she was in America?
7. What did Esmond and Jessica collect in preparation for moving to America?
(a) Savings bonds.
(b) Books to read on the journey.
(c) Jewelry to pawn.
(d) Letters of introduction.
8. What game did Esmond believe that he found a system to win at?
(b) Horse racing.
9. Where did Jessica and Esmond marry?
10. Whom did Jessica and Esmond ask for permission to get married?
(a) Jessica's mother.
(b) A French judge.
(c) Jessica's legal guardian in France.
(d) Dorothy Allhusen.
11. In which month did Jessica and Esmond arrive in New York?
12. Where did Jessica and Esmond spend time visiting Kay Graham?
(a) Fairfield County.
(b) Westchester County.
(c) Putnam County.
(d) Nassau County.
13. How long did it take for Esmond and Jessica to lose all their money gambling?
(a) Six hours.
(b) Four and a half hours.
(c) Two hours.
(d) Thirty minutes.
14. What newspaper did Kay Graham's father own?
(a) The Washington Post.
(b) The New York Post.
(c) The New York Times.
(d) The Daily Hampshire Gazette.
15. On their travels, what did Esmond and Jessica discuss with many of the people they met?
(a) The weather.
(b) Life in England.
(d) Finding work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helped Jessica and Esmond translate news from the radio?
2. What did Jessica realize differed between she and Kay?
3. When did Jessica and Esmond return to London from Corsica?
4. For which magazine did Michael Straight work?
5. Who offered to let Esmond and Jessica a house to stay in?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)