|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Jessica feel while attending the Communist Party meeting?
2. For what was Seldon Rodman a co-editor?
(a) A fashion magazine.
(b) A newspaper.
(c) A left-wing magazine.
(d) A medical journal.
3. How did Jessica feel about living in Spain with Esmond?
(a) Like it was a dream.
(b) Like it was a living hell.
(c) Like it was her destiny.
(d) Like it was a mistake.
4. What puzzled Jessica and Esmond about American politics?
(a) That lobbyists had so much power.
(b) That few people voted.
(c) That there was no socialist party.
(d) That the public did not voice their opinions.
5. While traveling, what impressed Jessica and Esmond about Americans?
(a) Their knowledge of England.
(b) Their wealth.
(c) Their fashion sense.
(d) Their hospitality.
6. What method did Esmond use to sell his products in Washington?
(a) Demonstrations in parks.
(b) Selling from a decorated truck.
(c) Door-to-door sales.
(d) Telephone sales.
7. Whom did Jessica and Esmond ask for permission to get married?
(a) A French judge.
(b) Dorothy Allhusen.
(c) Jessica's legal guardian in France.
(d) Jessica's mother.
8. What did Esmond find a job doing in Washington?
(a) Selling vacuum cleaners.
(b) Selling stockings.
(c) Selling umbrellas.
(d) Selling encyclopedias.
9. Which of her sisters did Jessica miss and wonder about while she was in America?
10. How much money did Donahue tell Jessica and Esmond they had made?
(a) Forty dollars.
(b) One hundred dollars.
(c) Seventy dollars.
(d) Twenty-five dollars.
11. What was the pro-consul told to do in the telegram?
(a) Give Jessica some money.
(b) Find Jessica.
(c) Arrest Esmond.
(d) Be a witness to Jessica and Esmond's marriage.
12. What did Dave Scherman tell Jessica and Esmond about Donahue?
(a) That Donahue was well-respected.
(b) That Donahue had gone bankrupt.
(c) That Donahue was a con man.
(d) That Donahue had been in an accident.
13. Why did Jessica and Esmond travel to Washington, D.C.?
(a) To attend a presidential inauguration.
(b) To invest in a property development.
(c) To learn about American politics.
(d) To visit a relative.
14. Who informed Jessica and Esmond of some American idioms?
(a) Lord Mosley.
(b) Dorothy Allhusen.
(c) Tom Mitford.
(d) Peter Nevile.
15. How long did it take for Esmond and Jessica to lose all their money gambling?
(a) Two hours.
(b) Four and a half hours.
(c) Thirty minutes.
(d) Six hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. What amazed Jessica about living in Spain?
2. For what event did Miss Warren handle the concessions?
3. In which month did Jessica and Esmond arrive in New York?
4. Who owned the business for which Esmond worked?
5. On their travels, what did Esmond and Jessica discuss with many of the people they met?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)