|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Jessica find work in New York?
(a) In a cafe.
(b) In an art gallery.
(c) At a music school.
(d) In a dress shop.
2. Who offered to let Esmond and Jessica a house to stay in?
(a) Roger Roughton.
(b) Jessica's aunt.
(c) Dorothy Allhusen.
(d) Esmond's uncle Winston.
3. Who was Horton?
(a) A taxi driver.
(b) A doorman.
(c) An English butler.
(d) A clergyman.
4. In which city did Esmond and Jessica try out his game-winning system?
5. What game did Esmond believe that he found a system to win at?
(c) Horse racing.
6. Who owned the business for which Esmond worked?
(a) A playboy millionaire.
(b) A state senator.
(c) An organized-crime kingpin.
(d) A small-time businessman.
7. What newspaper did Kay Graham's father own?
(a) The New York Post.
(b) The New York Times.
(c) The Daily Hampshire Gazette.
(d) The Washington Post.
8. How did the people the Romillys met in Washington feel about the American government's economic programs?
9. What did Esmond find a job doing in Washington?
(a) Selling encyclopedias.
(b) Selling stockings.
(c) Selling umbrellas.
(d) Selling vacuum cleaners.
10. What method did Esmond use to sell his products in Washington?
(a) Telephone sales.
(b) Demonstrations in parks.
(c) Selling from a decorated truck.
(d) Door-to-door sales.
11. For what event did Miss Warren handle the concessions?
(a) The World Series.
(b) The opening of La Guardia airport.
(c) The release of the film "The Wizard of Oz."
(d) The 1939 World's Fair.
12. How did Jessica and Esmond amass a large electricity bill?
(a) Some neighbors illegally tapped into their electricity.
(b) They forgot to pay their bills on time.
(c) They left their lights on 24 hours a day.
(d) They had thought that electricity was free.
13. To which state did Donahue invite Jessica and Esmond to travel with him?
(d) New Mexico.
14. How did Esmond think that he and Jessica could make money in America?
(a) By selling homemade jam.
(b) By working for a newspaper.
(c) By lecturing on English life.
(d) By gambling.
15. What did Jessica's father threaten would happen if she did not return from Spain to England?
(a) Jessica would be disinherited.
(b) Jessica's father would marry her off to an old man.
(c) Esmond would be abandoned by his family.
(d) Esmond would go to prison.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Michael Straight's position at the magazine for which he worked?
2. For which magazine did Michael Straight work?
3. How much money did Esmond borrow from the Meyers to invest in a bar?
4. What amazed Jessica about living in Spain?
5. Where did Esmond work in France?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)