|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Durrs ask Jessica and Esmond about at dinner?
(a) Their children.
(b) Their feelings about communism.
(c) Their experiences in Spain.
(d) Their lives in England.
2. Where did Jessica and Esmond go for a vacation in June 1939?
(b) New England.
(d) West Virginia.
3. Where did Jessica attend a protest meeting held by the Communist Party?
4. What did Jessica's father threaten would happen if she did not return from Spain to England?
(a) Jessica's father would marry her off to an old man.
(b) Esmond would go to prison.
(c) Jessica would be disinherited.
(d) Esmond would be abandoned by his family.
5. What made Esmond and Jessica decide to get their American tour started?
(a) They thought they should do it before winter.
(b) They had saved up the right amount of money.
(c) Esmond lost his job.
(d) A friend became available to help.
6. What kind of shop did Miss Warren run?
(a) A hat shop.
(b) A Scottish tweed shop.
(c) A souvenir stall.
(d) A popcorn stand.
7. What did Jessica and Esmond decide to wait for prior to returning to England?
(a) Until they had had visited 15 states.
(b) For the fighting to begin.
(c) Until their parents had forgiven them.
(d) For their money to run out.
8. What did Esmond find a job doing in Washington?
(a) Selling umbrellas.
(b) Selling encyclopedias.
(c) Selling stockings.
(d) Selling vacuum cleaners.
9. What did Jessica realize differed between she and Kay?
(a) The way they valued education.
(b) Their interest in politics.
(c) They way they each related to their parents.
(d) The way they spent their money.
10. How did Jessica feel about living in Spain with Esmond?
(a) Like it was a living hell.
(b) Like it was a dream.
(c) Like it was a mistake.
(d) Like it was her destiny.
11. How long did it take for Esmond and Jessica to lose all their money gambling?
(a) Four and a half hours.
(b) Two hours.
(c) Six hours.
(d) Thirty minutes.
12. After leaving Spain, which of her sisters did Jessica meet in France?
13. What story was replayed in the New York papers after Jessica and Esmond moved there?
(a) The story of Prince Edward's love affair.
(b) The story of Nancy's success.
(c) The story of Diana's divorce
(d) The story of Jessica and Esmond's elopement.
14. What was Clifford Durr's wife's name?
15. How did the people the Romillys met in Washington feel about the American government's economic programs?
Short Answer Questions
1. For which magazine did Michael Straight work?
2. What did Jessica do while Esmond was selling his wares in Washington?
3. In which area of New York did Jessica and Esmond rent an apartment?
4. Whom did Jessica and Esmond ask for permission to get married?
5. How did Jessica feel while attending the Communist Party meeting?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)