|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Jessica and Esmond spend time visiting Kay Graham?
(a) Putnam County.
(b) Westchester County.
(c) Fairfield County.
(d) Nassau County.
2. Who informed Jessica and Esmond of some American idioms?
(a) Tom Mitford.
(b) Dorothy Allhusen.
(c) Peter Nevile.
(d) Lord Mosley.
3. What amazed Jessica about living in Spain?
(a) The amount of poverty.
(b) The architecture.
(c) How much it was like England.
(d) The hospitality of the locals.
4. How did Esmond think that he and Jessica could make money in America?
(a) By lecturing on English life.
(b) By selling homemade jam.
(c) By gambling.
(d) By working for a newspaper.
5. How did Jessica and Esmond amass a large electricity bill?
(a) They left their lights on 24 hours a day.
(b) They had thought that electricity was free.
(c) They forgot to pay their bills on time.
(d) Some neighbors illegally tapped into their electricity.
6. After being cut off by her family, what job did Jessica do to earn money?
(a) Shop assistant.
(b) Manuscript editor.
(d) Market researcher.
7. What story was replayed in the New York papers after Jessica and Esmond moved there?
(a) The story of Prince Edward's love affair.
(b) The story of Jessica and Esmond's elopement.
(c) The story of Diana's divorce
(d) The story of Nancy's success.
8. Where did Jessica and Esmond go for a vacation in June 1939?
(c) New England.
(d) West Virginia.
9. How did Jessica feel while attending the Communist Party meeting?
10. In which season did Jessica and Esmond return to London from Corsica?
11. When did Jessica and Esmond return to London from Corsica?
12. In Washington, the Romillys met people who worked for what type of agencies?
(a) Prohibition agencies.
(b) New Deal agencies.
(c) Agricultural agencies.
(d) Immigration agencies.
13. In which area of New York did Jessica and Esmond rent an apartment?
(b) Little Italy.
(d) Greenwich Village.
14. How much money did Donahue tell Jessica and Esmond they had made?
(a) Twenty-five dollars.
(b) Seventy dollars.
(c) One hundred dollars.
(d) Forty dollars.
15. What did Esmond and Jessica collect in preparation for moving to America?
(a) Letters of introduction.
(b) Books to read on the journey.
(c) Savings bonds.
(d) Jewelry to pawn.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the conflict in Europe, which side's position did Esmond support?
2. Which of her sisters did Jessica miss and wonder about while she was in America?
3. In which city did Esmond and Jessica try out his game-winning system?
4. What puzzled Jessica and Esmond about American politics?
5. As Hitler continued to take territory in Europe, what did Esmond sell an article about?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)