|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jessica realize differed between she and Kay?
(a) The way they valued education.
(b) The way they spent their money.
(c) Their interest in politics.
(d) They way they each related to their parents.
2. What newspaper did Kay Graham's father own?
(a) The New York Times.
(b) The New York Post.
(c) The Washington Post.
(d) The Daily Hampshire Gazette.
3. Who sent a telegram that was delivered by the British pro-consul?
(a) Anthony Eden.
(b) Dorothy Allhusen.
(c) Peter Nevil.
(d) Jessica's father.
4. How did Esmond think that he and Jessica could make money in America?
(a) By working for a newspaper.
(b) By gambling.
(c) By lecturing on English life.
(d) By selling homemade jam.
5. When did Jessica and Esmond return to London from Corsica?
6. After returning to London, what did Jessica find that she did not know how to do?
(a) Buy groceries.
(b) Household chores.
(c) Drive an automobile.
(d) Send a telegram.
7. What was Clifford Durr's wife's name?
8. Who offered to let Esmond and Jessica a house to stay in?
(a) Dorothy Allhusen.
(b) Jessica's aunt.
(c) Esmond's uncle Winston.
(d) Roger Roughton.
9. How long did Jessica and Esmond stay together in America?
(a) Three and a half years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Six months.
(d) Two years.
10. What made Esmond and Jessica decide to get their American tour started?
(a) They had saved up the right amount of money.
(b) A friend became available to help.
(c) They thought they should do it before winter.
(d) Esmond lost his job.
11. For what was Seldon Rodman a co-editor?
(a) A newspaper.
(b) A left-wing magazine.
(c) A fashion magazine.
(d) A medical journal.
12. Whom did Jessica and Esmond ask for permission to get married?
(a) Dorothy Allhusen.
(b) Jessica's mother.
(c) A French judge.
(d) Jessica's legal guardian in France.
13. What method did Esmond use to sell his products in Washington?
(a) Door-to-door sales.
(b) Telephone sales.
(c) Demonstrations in parks.
(d) Selling from a decorated truck.
14. Upon arriving in New York, what did Jessica and Esmond notice about Americans?
(a) Their nationalistic feelings.
(b) Their relative poverty.
(c) Their fashion sense.
(d) Their religious convictions.
15. Where did Jessica and Esmond spend time visiting Kay Graham?
(a) Nassau County.
(b) Fairfield County.
(c) Putnam County.
(d) Westchester County.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which season did Jessica and Esmond return to London from Corsica?
2. Where did Jessica attend a protest meeting held by the Communist Party?
3. As Hitler continued to take territory in Europe, what did Esmond sell an article about?
4. In which city did Esmond and Jessica try out his game-winning system?
5. What was Michael Straight's position at the magazine for which he worked?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)