|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sent a telegram that was delivered by the British pro-consul?
(a) Peter Nevil.
(b) Dorothy Allhusen.
(c) Jessica's father.
(d) Anthony Eden.
2. What did the Durrs ask Jessica and Esmond about at dinner?
(a) Their experiences in Spain.
(b) Their children.
(c) Their lives in England.
(d) Their feelings about communism.
3. Instead of New Orleans, where did the Romillys end up after getting lost?
4. Whom did Jessica and Esmond ask for permission to get married?
(a) Jessica's legal guardian in France.
(b) Jessica's mother.
(c) Dorothy Allhusen.
(d) A French judge.
5. What were Jessica and Esmond hired to write about?
(a) Their aristocratic backgrounds.
(b) Their political views.
(c) Their time in Spain.
(d) Their experiences in America.
6. Who was Mr. Donahue?
(a) A jockey.
(b) A filmmaker.
(c) A landlord.
(d) A lawyer.
7. Where did Jessica and Esmond stay in New York?
(a) The Abbey Victoria Hotel.
(b) The Shelton Hotel.
(c) The Stanhope Hotel.
(d) The Hotel Chelsea.
8. How did Esmond think that he and Jessica could make money in America?
(a) By lecturing on English life.
(b) By selling homemade jam.
(c) By working for a newspaper.
(d) By gambling.
9. After being cut off by her family, what job did Jessica do to earn money?
(a) Shop assistant.
(b) Market researcher.
(c) Manuscript editor.
10. Upon arriving in New York, what did Jessica and Esmond notice about Americans?
(a) Their fashion sense.
(b) Their nationalistic feelings.
(c) Their relative poverty.
(d) Their religious convictions.
11. In which month did Jessica and Esmond arrive in New York?
12. What story was replayed in the New York papers after Jessica and Esmond moved there?
(a) The story of Diana's divorce
(b) The story of Prince Edward's love affair.
(c) The story of Jessica and Esmond's elopement.
(d) The story of Nancy's success.
13. As Hitler continued to take territory in Europe, what did Esmond sell an article about?
(a) Starting a new life in America.
(b) His experiences in Spain.
(c) The situation in England.
(d) The weaknesses of the Nazi party.
14. Where did Jessica and Esmond go for a vacation in June 1939?
(b) West Virginia.
(c) New England.
15. What did Esmond plan to do in New Orleans?
(a) Write a book.
(b) Hold political lectures.
(c) Work as a bartender.
(d) Attend university.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving Spain, which of her sisters did Jessica meet in France?
2. In which city did Esmond and Jessica try out his game-winning system?
3. On their travels, what did Esmond and Jessica discuss with many of the people they met?
4. What did Jessica do while Esmond was selling his wares in Washington?
5. Which of Jessica's siblings became a part of her social circle in London?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)