|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Michael Straight's position at the magazine for which he worked?
(a) Political columnist.
(c) Art director.
(d) Advertising salesman.
2. Who owned the business for which Esmond worked?
(a) A small-time businessman.
(b) A state senator.
(c) An organized-crime kingpin.
(d) A playboy millionaire.
3. Who sent a telegram that was delivered by the British pro-consul?
(a) Dorothy Allhusen.
(b) Anthony Eden.
(c) Jessica's father.
(d) Peter Nevil.
4. What newspaper did Kay Graham's father own?
(a) The Daily Hampshire Gazette.
(b) The New York Post.
(c) The New York Times.
(d) The Washington Post.
5. Who informed Jessica and Esmond of some American idioms?
(a) Dorothy Allhusen.
(b) Tom Mitford.
(c) Lord Mosley.
(d) Peter Nevile.
6. What story was replayed in the New York papers after Jessica and Esmond moved there?
(a) The story of Nancy's success.
(b) The story of Jessica and Esmond's elopement.
(c) The story of Prince Edward's love affair.
(d) The story of Diana's divorce
7. While traveling, what impressed Jessica and Esmond about Americans?
(a) Their hospitality.
(b) Their wealth.
(c) Their fashion sense.
(d) Their knowledge of England.
8. On their travels, what did Esmond and Jessica discuss with many of the people they met?
(a) Life in England.
(c) The weather.
(d) Finding work.
9. Whom did Jessica and Esmond ask for permission to get married?
(a) Jessica's legal guardian in France.
(b) Dorothy Allhusen.
(c) A French judge.
(d) Jessica's mother.
10. What method did Esmond use to sell his products in Washington?
(a) Demonstrations in parks.
(b) Door-to-door sales.
(c) Selling from a decorated truck.
(d) Telephone sales.
11. What did Dave Scherman tell Jessica and Esmond about Donahue?
(a) That Donahue had gone bankrupt.
(b) That Donahue had been in an accident.
(c) That Donahue was a con man.
(d) That Donahue was well-respected.
12. After leaving Spain, which of her sisters did Jessica meet in France?
13. Why did Jessica and Esmond travel to Washington, D.C.?
(a) To invest in a property development.
(b) To visit a relative.
(c) To attend a presidential inauguration.
(d) To learn about American politics.
14. After being cut off by her family, what job did Jessica do to earn money?
(a) Manuscript editor.
(b) Shop assistant.
(c) Market researcher.
15. To which state did Donahue invite Jessica and Esmond to travel with him?
(a) New Mexico.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Hitler continued to take territory in Europe, what did Esmond sell an article about?
2. Which of Jessica's siblings became a part of her social circle in London?
3. What did Jessica realize differed between she and Kay?
4. What did Esmond and Jessica learn was the purpose of the business for which Esmond worked?
5. How long did Jessica and Esmond stay together in America?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)