|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For which magazine did Michael Straight work?
(a) The Saturday Evening Post.
(b) The New Republic.
2. How long did it take for Esmond and Jessica to lose all their money gambling?
(a) Six hours.
(b) Four and a half hours.
(c) Two hours.
(d) Thirty minutes.
3. How did Jessica and Esmond amass a large electricity bill?
(a) They left their lights on 24 hours a day.
(b) They had thought that electricity was free.
(c) They forgot to pay their bills on time.
(d) Some neighbors illegally tapped into their electricity.
4. While traveling, what impressed Jessica and Esmond about Americans?
(a) Their hospitality.
(b) Their knowledge of England.
(c) Their wealth.
(d) Their fashion sense.
5. How much money did Donahue tell Jessica and Esmond they had made?
(a) Forty dollars.
(b) Twenty-five dollars.
(c) One hundred dollars.
(d) Seventy dollars.
6. In which season did Jessica and Esmond return to London from Corsica?
7. In Washington, the Romillys met people who worked for what type of agencies?
(a) New Deal agencies.
(b) Prohibition agencies.
(c) Agricultural agencies.
(d) Immigration agencies.
8. Who was Mr. Donahue?
(a) A filmmaker.
(b) A jockey.
(c) A landlord.
(d) A lawyer.
9. After the death of their daughter, to where did Esmond and Jessica travel?
10. What did the Durrs ask Jessica and Esmond about at dinner?
(a) Their experiences in Spain.
(b) Their lives in England.
(c) Their children.
(d) Their feelings about communism.
11. What did Esmond and Jessica collect in preparation for moving to America?
(a) Letters of introduction.
(b) Jewelry to pawn.
(c) Books to read on the journey.
(d) Savings bonds.
12. After being cut off by her family, what job did Jessica do to earn money?
(b) Manuscript editor.
(c) Shop assistant.
(d) Market researcher.
13. What were Jessica and Esmond hired to write about?
(a) Their experiences in America.
(b) Their aristocratic backgrounds.
(c) Their time in Spain.
(d) Their political views.
14. To what group did many of Jessica and Esmond's London friends belong?
(a) The London Horse Club.
(b) The House of Lords.
(c) The League of Fascists.
(d) The Communist Party.
15. Who sent a telegram that was delivered by the British pro-consul?
(a) Peter Nevil.
(b) Anthony Eden.
(c) Dorothy Allhusen.
(d) Jessica's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of shop did Miss Warren run?
2. For what was Seldon Rodman a co-editor?
3. Who informed Jessica and Esmond of some American idioms?
4. Where did Jessica and Esmond stay at a small cottage?
5. Why did Jessica and Esmond decide to move to America?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)