|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After being cut off by her family, what job did Jessica do to earn money?
(a) Shop assistant.
(b) Market researcher.
(c) Manuscript editor.
2. What was Esmond's weekly salary at his New York job?
(a) Fifty dollars.
(b) One hundred dollars.
(c) Two hundred dollars.
(d) Eighty dollars.
3. In Washington, the Romillys met people who worked for what type of agencies?
(a) Agricultural agencies.
(b) New Deal agencies.
(c) Prohibition agencies.
(d) Immigration agencies.
4. Who offered to let Esmond and Jessica a house to stay in?
(a) Dorothy Allhusen.
(b) Roger Roughton.
(c) Jessica's aunt.
(d) Esmond's uncle Winston.
5. Who was Horton?
(a) A taxi driver.
(b) A clergyman.
(c) An English butler.
(d) A doorman.
6. How much money did Esmond borrow from the Meyers to invest in a bar?
(a) Five hundred dollars.
(b) One thousand dollars.
(c) Fifteen hundred dollars.
(d) Five thousand dollars.
7. For what event did Miss Warren handle the concessions?
(a) The 1939 World's Fair.
(b) The release of the film "The Wizard of Oz."
(c) The opening of La Guardia airport.
(d) The World Series.
8. What puzzled Jessica and Esmond about American politics?
(a) That lobbyists had so much power.
(b) That there was no socialist party.
(c) That the public did not voice their opinions.
(d) That few people voted.
9. Whom did Jessica and Esmond ask for permission to get married?
(a) A French judge.
(b) Dorothy Allhusen.
(c) Jessica's mother.
(d) Jessica's legal guardian in France.
10. What illness did Jessica's daughter contract as a 4-month old?
(a) Whooping cough.
(b) Scarlet fever.
11. Where did Jessica and Esmond stay in New York?
(a) The Shelton Hotel.
(b) The Stanhope Hotel.
(c) The Abbey Victoria Hotel.
(d) The Hotel Chelsea.
12. As Hitler continued to take territory in Europe, what did Esmond sell an article about?
(a) The weaknesses of the Nazi party.
(b) Starting a new life in America.
(c) The situation in England.
(d) His experiences in Spain.
13. Why did Jessica and Esmond decide to move to America?
(a) To acquire some free land.
(b) To work for a newspaper.
(c) To avoid the war.
(d) To get away from their families.
14. Who was Mr. Donahue?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A filmmaker.
(c) A jockey.
(d) A landlord.
15. In what school program did Esmond enroll?
(a) Hotel management.
(c) Auto repair.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Jessica attend a protest meeting held by the Communist Party?
2. What kind of shop did Miss Warren run?
3. What did Jessica's father threaten would happen if she did not return from Spain to England?
4. After returning to London, what did Jessica find that she did not know how to do?
5. What did Jessica and Esmond do with their evenings in Washington?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)