|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jessica and Esmond do with their evenings in Washington?
(a) Went to the movies.
(b) Wrote letters to friends in England.
(c) Attended social events.
(d) Read books at home.
2. After the death of their daughter, to where did Esmond and Jessica travel?
3. What kind of shop did Miss Warren run?
(a) A hat shop.
(b) A Scottish tweed shop.
(c) A souvenir stall.
(d) A popcorn stand.
4. As Hitler continued to take territory in Europe, what did Esmond sell an article about?
(a) The situation in England.
(b) Starting a new life in America.
(c) The weaknesses of the Nazi party.
(d) His experiences in Spain.
5. What did Jessica do while Esmond was selling his wares in Washington?
(a) Worked at a shoe shop.
(b) Took care of their son at home.
(c) Worked as his assistant.
(d) Worked in a library.
6. Who offered to let Esmond and Jessica a house to stay in?
(a) Roger Roughton.
(b) Dorothy Allhusen.
(c) Jessica's aunt.
(d) Esmond's uncle Winston.
7. How did Jessica and Esmond amass a large electricity bill?
(a) They had thought that electricity was free.
(b) They left their lights on 24 hours a day.
(c) Some neighbors illegally tapped into their electricity.
(d) They forgot to pay their bills on time.
8. After returning to London, what did Jessica find that she did not know how to do?
(a) Buy groceries.
(b) Send a telegram.
(c) Household chores.
(d) Drive an automobile.
9. How did the people the Romillys met in Washington feel about the American government's economic programs?
10. Instead of New Orleans, where did the Romillys end up after getting lost?
11. After leaving Spain, which of her sisters did Jessica meet in France?
12. Why did Jessica and Esmond decide to move to America?
(a) To get away from their families.
(b) To avoid the war.
(c) To acquire some free land.
(d) To work for a newspaper.
13. What did the Durrs ask Jessica and Esmond about at dinner?
(a) Their children.
(b) Their feelings about communism.
(c) Their experiences in Spain.
(d) Their lives in England.
14. What was Clifford Durr's wife's name?
15. What illness did Jessica's daughter contract as a 4-month old?
(a) Whooping cough.
(c) Scarlet fever.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money did Donahue tell Jessica and Esmond they had made?
2. Where did Jessica find work in New York?
3. Who owned the business for which Esmond worked?
4. In what school program did Esmond enroll?
5. What newspaper did Kay Graham's father own?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)