|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Clifford Durr's wife's name?
2. How did Jessica and Esmond amass a large electricity bill?
(a) They left their lights on 24 hours a day.
(b) They had thought that electricity was free.
(c) Some neighbors illegally tapped into their electricity.
(d) They forgot to pay their bills on time.
3. What did Esmond plan to do in New Orleans?
(a) Work as a bartender.
(b) Write a book.
(c) Hold political lectures.
(d) Attend university.
4. How did Esmond think that he and Jessica could make money in America?
(a) By lecturing on English life.
(b) By working for a newspaper.
(c) By selling homemade jam.
(d) By gambling.
5. How long did Jessica and Esmond stay together in America?
(a) Five years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Six months.
(d) Three and a half years.
6. How did the people the Romillys met in Washington feel about the American government's economic programs?
7. What made Esmond and Jessica decide to get their American tour started?
(a) They had saved up the right amount of money.
(b) They thought they should do it before winter.
(c) A friend became available to help.
(d) Esmond lost his job.
8. In which area of New York did Jessica and Esmond rent an apartment?
(b) Greenwich Village.
(d) Little Italy.
9. In which city did Esmond and Jessica try out his game-winning system?
10. What did Esmond and Jessica collect in preparation for moving to America?
(a) Books to read on the journey.
(b) Savings bonds.
(c) Jewelry to pawn.
(d) Letters of introduction.
11. What was Esmond's weekly salary at his New York job?
(a) Eighty dollars.
(b) One hundred dollars.
(c) Two hundred dollars.
(d) Fifty dollars.
12. Which of her sisters did Jessica miss and wonder about while she was in America?
13. Where did Jessica attend a protest meeting held by the Communist Party?
14. What did Jessica do while Esmond was selling his wares in Washington?
(a) Took care of their son at home.
(b) Worked at a shoe shop.
(c) Worked as his assistant.
(d) Worked in a library.
15. Who was Mr. Donahue?
(a) A landlord.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A filmmaker.
(d) A jockey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Donahue want Jessica and Esmond to do?
2. How much money did Esmond borrow from the Meyers to invest in a bar?
3. Who owned the business for which Esmond worked?
4. In which town did Jessica and Esmond live in Spain?
5. Which of Jessica's siblings became a part of her social circle in London?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)