|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What amazed Jessica about living in Spain?
(a) The amount of poverty.
(b) The hospitality of the locals.
(c) How much it was like England.
(d) The architecture.
2. In which season did Jessica and Esmond return to London from Corsica?
3. What method did Esmond use to sell his products in Washington?
(a) Selling from a decorated truck.
(b) Demonstrations in parks.
(c) Telephone sales.
(d) Door-to-door sales.
4. Where did Jessica attend a protest meeting held by the Communist Party?
5. Where did Jessica and Esmond marry?
6. Who helped Jessica and Esmond translate news from the radio?
(a) A local schoolteacher.
(b) Their neighbor.
(c) Jessica translated herself.
(d) Their hotel's owner.
7. Upon arriving in New York, what did Jessica and Esmond notice about Americans?
(a) Their religious convictions.
(b) Their nationalistic feelings.
(c) Their relative poverty.
(d) Their fashion sense.
8. How long did Jessica and Esmond stay together in America?
(a) Five years.
(b) Three and a half years.
(c) Six months.
(d) Two years.
9. Who was Mr. Donahue?
(a) A landlord.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A filmmaker.
(d) A jockey.
10. In which city did Esmond and Jessica try out his game-winning system?
11. What did Esmond and Jessica collect in preparation for moving to America?
(a) Savings bonds.
(b) Letters of introduction.
(c) Jewelry to pawn.
(d) Books to read on the journey.
12. How did Esmond feel about his job in Washington?
13. In what school program did Esmond enroll?
(b) Auto repair.
(c) Hotel management.
14. While traveling, what impressed Jessica and Esmond about Americans?
(a) Their wealth.
(b) Their fashion sense.
(c) Their knowledge of England.
(d) Their hospitality.
15. After leaving Spain, which of her sisters did Jessica meet in France?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who informed Jessica and Esmond of some American idioms?
2. For which magazine did Michael Straight work?
3. Who was Horton?
4. Which of her sisters did Jessica miss and wonder about while she was in America?
5. What did Esmond and Jessica learn was the purpose of the business for which Esmond worked?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)