|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much did Jessica receive from her trust fund when she turned 21?
(a) One hundred pounds.
(b) Fifty pounts.
(c) Two hundred and fifty pounds.
(d) Five hundred pounds.
2. What did Jessica and Esmond do with their evenings in Washington?
(a) Wrote letters to friends in England.
(b) Went to the movies.
(c) Attended social events.
(d) Read books at home.
3. How did Jessica feel about living in Spain with Esmond?
(a) Like it was her destiny.
(b) Like it was a dream.
(c) Like it was a living hell.
(d) Like it was a mistake.
4. What made Esmond and Jessica decide to get their American tour started?
(a) They had saved up the right amount of money.
(b) A friend became available to help.
(c) Esmond lost his job.
(d) They thought they should do it before winter.
5. Where did Esmond work in France?
(a) At an English school.
(b) At Reuters.
(c) At the British embassy.
(d) At a radio station.
6. What game did Esmond believe that he found a system to win at?
(a) Horse racing.
7. What was Esmond's weekly salary at his New York job?
(a) One hundred dollars.
(b) Eighty dollars.
(c) Fifty dollars.
(d) Two hundred dollars.
8. Why did Jessica and Esmond decide to move to America?
(a) To get away from their families.
(b) To work for a newspaper.
(c) To acquire some free land.
(d) To avoid the war.
9. What was Michael Straight's position at the magazine for which he worked?
(b) Political columnist.
(c) Advertising salesman.
(d) Art director.
10. What was Clifford Durr's wife's name?
11. Where did Jessica find work in New York?
(a) In an art gallery.
(b) In a cafe.
(c) At a music school.
(d) In a dress shop.
12. Who informed Jessica and Esmond of some American idioms?
(a) Dorothy Allhusen.
(b) Lord Mosley.
(c) Tom Mitford.
(d) Peter Nevile.
13. Where did Esmond find a job working in New York?
(a) An advertising agency.
(b) A newspaper.
(c) A lawyer's office.
(d) A political journal.
14. In Washington, the Romillys met people who worked for what type of agencies?
(a) Immigration agencies.
(b) New Deal agencies.
(c) Prohibition agencies.
(d) Agricultural agencies.
15. What illness did Jessica's daughter contract as a 4-month old?
(a) Scarlet fever.
(b) Whooping cough.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Esmond find a job doing in Washington?
2. What did Jessica and Esmond decide to wait for prior to returning to England?
3. After the death of their daughter, to where did Esmond and Jessica travel?
4. Where did Jessica and Esmond stay at a small cottage?
5. Why did Jessica and Esmond travel to Washington, D.C.?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)