|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Clifford Durr's wife's name?
2. What did Esmond plan to do in New Orleans?
(a) Work as a bartender.
(b) Hold political lectures.
(c) Attend university.
(d) Write a book.
3. What did Jessica and Esmond do with their evenings in Washington?
(a) Read books at home.
(b) Went to the movies.
(c) Attended social events.
(d) Wrote letters to friends in England.
4. For what event did Miss Warren handle the concessions?
(a) The opening of La Guardia airport.
(b) The 1939 World's Fair.
(c) The World Series.
(d) The release of the film "The Wizard of Oz."
5. Where did Esmond find a job working in New York?
(a) A political journal.
(b) An advertising agency.
(c) A newspaper.
(d) A lawyer's office.
6. How did Esmond feel about his job in Washington?
7. What did Esmond and Jessica learn was the purpose of the business for which Esmond worked?
(a) To launder money.
(b) To lose money.
(c) To rip off rich clientele.
(d) To secretly collect information about the Nazis.
8. What did Esmond and Jessica collect in preparation for moving to America?
(a) Savings bonds.
(b) Books to read on the journey.
(c) Letters of introduction.
(d) Jewelry to pawn.
9. For which magazine did Michael Straight work?
(b) The Saturday Evening Post.
(c) The New Republic.
10. How did Esmond think that he and Jessica could make money in America?
(a) By selling homemade jam.
(b) By gambling.
(c) By lecturing on English life.
(d) By working for a newspaper.
11. Where did Jessica find work in New York?
(a) In an art gallery.
(b) In a dress shop.
(c) In a cafe.
(d) At a music school.
12. What did Jessica realize differed between she and Kay?
(a) They way they each related to their parents.
(b) The way they valued education.
(c) Their interest in politics.
(d) The way they spent their money.
13. What amazed Jessica about living in Spain?
(a) The hospitality of the locals.
(b) The architecture.
(c) The amount of poverty.
(d) How much it was like England.
14. Which of her sisters did Jessica miss and wonder about while she was in America?
15. What story was replayed in the New York papers after Jessica and Esmond moved there?
(a) The story of Jessica and Esmond's elopement.
(b) The story of Prince Edward's love affair.
(c) The story of Diana's divorce
(d) The story of Nancy's success.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which city did Esmond and Jessica try out his game-winning system?
2. What did the Durrs ask Jessica and Esmond about at dinner?
3. How much money did Donahue tell Jessica and Esmond they had made?
4. As Hitler continued to take territory in Europe, what did Esmond sell an article about?
5. What did Jessica do while Esmond was selling his wares in Washington?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)