|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which area of New York did Jessica and Esmond rent an apartment?
(b) Greenwich Village.
(c) Little Italy.
2. What was the pro-consul told to do in the telegram?
(a) Be a witness to Jessica and Esmond's marriage.
(b) Give Jessica some money.
(c) Arrest Esmond.
(d) Find Jessica.
3. What did Jessica do while Esmond was selling his wares in Washington?
(a) Worked as his assistant.
(b) Worked in a library.
(c) Worked at a shoe shop.
(d) Took care of their son at home.
4. How long did it take for Esmond and Jessica to lose all their money gambling?
(a) Two hours.
(b) Six hours.
(c) Thirty minutes.
(d) Four and a half hours.
5. Where did Jessica and Esmond go for a vacation in June 1939?
(b) West Virginia.
(d) New England.
6. What did Esmond find a job doing in Washington?
(a) Selling encyclopedias.
(b) Selling stockings.
(c) Selling umbrellas.
(d) Selling vacuum cleaners.
7. After being cut off by her family, what job did Jessica do to earn money?
(b) Manuscript editor.
(c) Market researcher.
(d) Shop assistant.
8. For which magazine did Michael Straight work?
(a) The New Republic.
(c) The Saturday Evening Post.
9. What puzzled Jessica and Esmond about American politics?
(a) That the public did not voice their opinions.
(b) That lobbyists had so much power.
(c) That there was no socialist party.
(d) That few people voted.
10. As Hitler continued to take territory in Europe, what did Esmond sell an article about?
(a) The situation in England.
(b) The weaknesses of the Nazi party.
(c) His experiences in Spain.
(d) Starting a new life in America.
11. What did Jessica and Esmond spend their afternoons doing in Spain?
(a) Sitting on the beach.
(b) Treating patients at a hospital.
(c) Typing up news stories.
(d) Scavenging for items to sell.
12. What was Michael Straight's position at the magazine for which he worked?
(a) Political columnist.
(b) Art director.
(d) Advertising salesman.
13. How much money did Esmond borrow from the Meyers to invest in a bar?
(a) Fifteen hundred dollars.
(b) Five hundred dollars.
(c) One thousand dollars.
(d) Five thousand dollars.
14. Where did Jessica attend a protest meeting held by the Communist Party?
15. What kind of shop did Miss Warren run?
(a) A souvenir stall.
(b) A hat shop.
(c) A popcorn stand.
(d) A Scottish tweed shop.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game did Esmond believe that he found a system to win at?
2. Where did Jessica find work in New York?
3. What did the Durrs ask Jessica and Esmond about at dinner?
4. How long did Jessica and Esmond stay together in America?
5. How did Jessica feel about living in Spain with Esmond?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)