|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On their travels, what did Esmond and Jessica discuss with many of the people they met?
(a) Finding work.
(c) The weather.
(d) Life in England.
2. As Hitler continued to take territory in Europe, what did Esmond sell an article about?
(a) His experiences in Spain.
(b) Starting a new life in America.
(c) The situation in England.
(d) The weaknesses of the Nazi party.
3. Who offered to let Esmond and Jessica a house to stay in?
(a) Esmond's uncle Winston.
(b) Jessica's aunt.
(c) Roger Roughton.
(d) Dorothy Allhusen.
4. In which area of New York did Jessica and Esmond rent an apartment?
(c) Little Italy.
(d) Greenwich Village.
5. Upon arriving in New York, what did Jessica and Esmond notice about Americans?
(a) Their religious convictions.
(b) Their relative poverty.
(c) Their fashion sense.
(d) Their nationalistic feelings.
6. What kind of shop did Miss Warren run?
(a) A souvenir stall.
(b) A hat shop.
(c) A popcorn stand.
(d) A Scottish tweed shop.
7. Why did Jessica and Esmond decide to move to America?
(a) To acquire some free land.
(b) To avoid the war.
(c) To get away from their families.
(d) To work for a newspaper.
8. Where did Esmond work after returning to London from France?
(a) A bank.
(b) A newspaper.
(c) A post office.
(d) An advertising agency.
9. In which season did Jessica and Esmond return to London from Corsica?
10. Who owned the business for which Esmond worked?
(a) A playboy millionaire.
(b) An organized-crime kingpin.
(c) A small-time businessman.
(d) A state senator.
11. What were Jessica and Esmond hired to write about?
(a) Their aristocratic backgrounds.
(b) Their time in Spain.
(c) Their experiences in America.
(d) Their political views.
12. Who was Mr. Donahue?
(a) A landlord.
(b) A jockey.
(c) A filmmaker.
(d) A lawyer.
13. How did Esmond think that he and Jessica could make money in America?
(a) By selling homemade jam.
(b) By lecturing on English life.
(c) By working for a newspaper.
(d) By gambling.
14. Where did Jessica and Esmond stay in New York?
(a) The Abbey Victoria Hotel.
(b) The Stanhope Hotel.
(c) The Shelton Hotel.
(d) The Hotel Chelsea.
15. What did Jessica realize differed between she and Kay?
(a) The way they valued education.
(b) They way they each related to their parents.
(c) Their interest in politics.
(d) The way they spent their money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Michael Straight's position at the magazine for which he worked?
2. To which state did Donahue invite Jessica and Esmond to travel with him?
3. What did Jessica's father threaten would happen if she did not return from Spain to England?
4. In Washington, the Romillys met people who worked for what type of agencies?
5. Why did Jessica and Esmond travel to Washington, D.C.?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)