|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did it take for Esmond and Jessica to lose all their money gambling?
(a) Two hours.
(b) Thirty minutes.
(c) Six hours.
(d) Four and a half hours.
2. On their travels, what did Esmond and Jessica discuss with many of the people they met?
(b) Life in England.
(c) The weather.
(d) Finding work.
3. What did Dave Scherman tell Jessica and Esmond about Donahue?
(a) That Donahue had been in an accident.
(b) That Donahue was well-respected.
(c) That Donahue had gone bankrupt.
(d) That Donahue was a con man.
4. How long did Jessica and Esmond stay together in America?
(a) Two years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Three and a half years.
(d) Six months.
5. What amazed Jessica about living in Spain?
(a) The architecture.
(b) The hospitality of the locals.
(c) How much it was like England.
(d) The amount of poverty.
6. Which of her sisters did Jessica miss and wonder about while she was in America?
7. What did Esmond plan to do in New Orleans?
(a) Work as a bartender.
(b) Hold political lectures.
(c) Write a book.
(d) Attend university.
8. What did Jessica do while Esmond was selling his wares in Washington?
(a) Worked in a library.
(b) Took care of their son at home.
(c) Worked as his assistant.
(d) Worked at a shoe shop.
9. Where did Jessica and Esmond go for a vacation in June 1939?
(a) New England.
(d) West Virginia.
10. How did Jessica feel about living in Spain with Esmond?
(a) Like it was a dream.
(b) Like it was a mistake.
(c) Like it was her destiny.
(d) Like it was a living hell.
11. What were Jessica and Esmond hired to write about?
(a) Their political views.
(b) Their aristocratic backgrounds.
(c) Their experiences in America.
(d) Their time in Spain.
12. What did the Durrs ask Jessica and Esmond about at dinner?
(a) Their children.
(b) Their experiences in Spain.
(c) Their feelings about communism.
(d) Their lives in England.
13. What did Jessica's father threaten would happen if she did not return from Spain to England?
(a) Esmond would go to prison.
(b) Esmond would be abandoned by his family.
(c) Jessica would be disinherited.
(d) Jessica's father would marry her off to an old man.
14. What story was replayed in the New York papers after Jessica and Esmond moved there?
(a) The story of Diana's divorce
(b) The story of Nancy's success.
(c) The story of Prince Edward's love affair.
(d) The story of Jessica and Esmond's elopement.
15. What did Jessica and Esmond spend their afternoons doing in Spain?
(a) Sitting on the beach.
(b) Scavenging for items to sell.
(c) Treating patients at a hospital.
(d) Typing up news stories.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which season did Jessica and Esmond return to London from Corsica?
2. Who owned the business for which Esmond worked?
3. What illness did Jessica's daughter contract as a 4-month old?
4. What did Esmond and Jessica collect in preparation for moving to America?
5. What made Esmond and Jessica decide to get their American tour started?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)