|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Nancy's mother want her work published under a pseudonym?
(a) To create an air of mystery.
(b) To prevent gossiping.
(c) To avoid taxes.
(d) So Nancy's father wouldn't find out.
2. Why did Debo and Jessica leave the school to which they were sent?
(a) The war started.
(b) Debo hated it.
(c) The school burned down.
(d) Jessica was being picked on.
3. What led to hunger marches in England in the 1930s?
(a) Political corruption.
(c) Rising unemployment.
4. What did the children call their father?
(c) His Majesty.
(d) Father 'M'.
5. What skill did one of the children's governesses teach them?
(c) Water polo.
6. What item did Jessica and Esmond purchase by charging it to Farve's account?
(a) A tent.
(b) A camera.
(c) A suitcase.
(d) A radio.
7. At the end of Chapter 12, why did Jessica want to meet Esmond?
(a) She had heard that he was handsome.
(b) She wanted his help to escape from home.
(c) She related to his section of the book he published with his brother.
(d) She wanted to correct him about what he wrote in his book.
8. In which town did the Mitfords' mother give gifts to the poor?
9. To Jessica, what was the best part about being a debutante?
(a) Getting dressed up.
(b) Attending parties.
(c) Mixing with the upper class.
(d) Meeting new people.
10. What establishment did Jessica find Esmond had opened in London?
(a) A poetry house.
(b) A center for runaway boys.
(c) A library.
(d) An education center.
11. How does Jessica describe her life during her childhood?
12. What did Tom study at school?
13. What did Muv frequently play on the piano to which Jessica was forced to sing along?
(a) French music.
(b) Church hymns.
(c) Nazi songs.
(d) Nursery songs.
14. Which political party did the Mitford family traditionally have an interest in?
(a) The Communist Party.
(b) The Liberal Democrats.
(c) The Conservative Party.
(d) The Labor Party.
15. What was the purpose of the Mitfords' cruise?
(a) A matchmaking opportunity.
(b) To have fun in the ship casino.
(c) To introduce the girls to society.
(d) An educational tour.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were Debo and Jessica sent to school for a while?
2. Where had Diana gone to study?
3. What did Jessica call the savings account she opened?
4. How did Muv try to solve the boredom and monotony of Jessica's life?
5. How did Jessica feel about meeting Esmond?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)