|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To Jessica, what was the best part about being a debutante?
(a) Mixing with the upper class.
(b) Attending parties.
(c) Meeting new people.
(d) Getting dressed up.
2. At the end of Chapter 12, why did Jessica want to meet Esmond?
(a) She related to his section of the book he published with his brother.
(b) She wanted his help to escape from home.
(c) She had heard that he was handsome.
(d) She wanted to correct him about what he wrote in his book.
3. Where did Esmond open his establishment in London?
(a) In a church basement.
(b) In a cafe.
(c) In an apartment.
(d) In a bookstore.
4. What did the Mitford children call their mother?
(b) Her majesty.
(d) Mother 'M'.
5. What was the purpose of the Mitfords' cruise?
(a) To have fun in the ship casino.
(b) An educational tour.
(c) A matchmaking opportunity.
(d) To introduce the girls to society.
6. What was the name of the magazine Esmond published?
(a) Tides of Change.
(b) Out of Bounds.
(c) Freedom Tomorrow.
(d) Britain for the Future.
7. What was Esmond's surname?
8. What was the name of the language Unity and Jessica made up?
9. What organization did Jessica join in her teens?
(a) The Girls' Brigade.
(b) The Girl Guides.
(c) The Lady Birds.
(d) The Sunbeams.
10. What did Jessica call the savings account she opened?
(a) Her "Rainy Day" savings account.
(b) Her "Running Away" savings account.
(c) Her "Mine All Mine" savings account.
(d) Her "University Fund" savings account.
11. Who of the following did not go on holiday in the spring of 1936?
12. Which principle did the Mitfords' father strongly believe in?
(a) Equal opportunity.
(b) Natural capitalism.
13. In a phony letter, where did Jessica's cousins invite her to go?
14. What caused Jessica to have a fistfight with one of her sisters while on the cruise holiday?
(a) A boy.
(b) A swastika pin.
(c) A pair of shoes.
(d) A political pamphlet.
15. What group was involved with many of the protests in the 1930s?
(a) The Red Cross.
(b) The Communists.
(c) The Catholic Church.
(d) The Fascists.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Uncle Tommy do for a living?
2. What job did Muv offer to the girl with whom Jessica exchanged letters?
3. What was the name of the poor girl with whom Jessica exchanged letters?
4. What was the name of the Mitford son?
5. Where was the Mitford home in London?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)