|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the Mitfords not immediately approve of Bryan Guinness?
(a) His political views differed from the Mitford family's.
(b) He was a known playboy.
(c) His fortune came from trade.
(d) He had no means of making a living.
2. What did Nancy miss about living at Swinbrook?
(a) Having servants.
(b) The country air.
(c) Seeing her friends.
(d) Her parents.
3. Where did Esmond open his establishment in London?
(a) In an apartment.
(b) In a church basement.
(c) In a cafe.
(d) In a bookstore.
4. How did Muv try to solve the boredom and monotony of Jessica's life?
(a) With shopping.
(b) With schooling.
(c) With parties.
(d) With travel.
5. Where did the Mitfords go on a cruise in spring of 1936?
(a) The Mediterranean.
(b) New York.
(d) The Baltic.
6. According to Muv, what did marriage result in?
(a) Utter happiness.
(b) A woman having things to keep her busy.
(c) Money to do the things you've always wanted to do.
(d) Being able to relax.
7. What organization did Jessica join in her teens?
(a) The Girls' Brigade.
(b) The Sunbeams.
(c) The Girl Guides.
(d) The Lady Birds.
8. What was the name of the language Unity and Jessica made up?
9. Which of the following was in the Mitford home?
(a) A swimming pool.
(b) A chapel.
(c) A bowling alley.
(d) A hospital room.
10. What group was involved with many of the protests in the 1930s?
(a) The Communists.
(b) The Catholic Church.
(c) The Fascists.
(d) The Red Cross.
11. In which town did the Mitfords' mother give gifts to the poor?
12. What would Uncle Tommy tell the children stories about?
(a) His army days.
(b) His university days.
(c) His days at sea.
(d) His childhood.
13. How did Jessica feel about meeting Esmond?
14. As part of her social debut, where was Jessica presented?
(a) Kensington Palace Gardens.
(b) Buckingham Palace.
(c) The Albert Hall.
(d) Westminster Abbey.
15. Prince Edward's love affair with which woman scandalized Britain in the late 1930s?
(a) Hedy Lamarr.
(b) Alice Barrymore.
(c) Wallis Simpson.
(d) Diana Mitford.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the poor girl with whom Jessica exchanged letters?
2. What did the Mitford children call their mother?
3. What did Uncle Tommy do for a living?
4. Who did Jessica learn was in Spain fighting?
5. What did Muv frequently play on the piano to which Jessica was forced to sing along?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)