|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the poor girl with whom Jessica exchanged letters?
2. What was the name of the magazine Esmond published?
(a) Britain for the Future.
(b) Freedom Tomorrow.
(c) Out of Bounds.
(d) Tides of Change.
3. What was the name of the Mitford son?
4. Which principle did the Mitfords' father strongly believe in?
(c) Equal opportunity.
(d) Natural capitalism.
5. With whom did the Mitford children have little contact at Swinbrook?
(a) Each other.
(b) Their father.
(c) Their extended family.
6. How many days did it take to reach Spain by boat from London?
7. Why did Nancy's mother want her work published under a pseudonym?
(a) To avoid taxes.
(b) To prevent gossiping.
(c) To create an air of mystery.
(d) So Nancy's father wouldn't find out.
8. While Jessica was planning to go to Spain, where was Muv making plans to go?
(a) To visit family in London.
(b) On a vacation in Italy.
(c) To live in Paris for a year.
(d) On a world cruise.
9. What group was involved with many of the protests in the 1930s?
(a) The Communists.
(b) The Fascists.
(c) The Catholic Church.
(d) The Red Cross.
10. What was the educational philosophy of Swinbrook House?
(a) Studying is a waste of time.
(b) Every child should get a university degree.
(c) Girls should have only enough education to manage a household.
(d) Stay in school only until 16, then get married.
11. Where was the Mitford home in London?
(a) Dartmouth Park
(b) Rutland Gate.
(d) East Finchley.
12. How did Jessica feel about meeting Esmond?
13. Where did Jessica and Esmond go directly upon arriving in Spain?
(a) A hotel.
(b) A post office.
(c) A boxing match.
(d) A dinner show.
14. What did Nancy publish in the 1920s?
(a) A newspaper article.
(b) A journal.
(c) An instructional pamphlet.
(d) A novel.
15. Which political figure did Boud befriend?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Uncle Tommy do for a living?
2. Which school did Jessica's cousins Giles and Esmond attend?
3. What did Tom study at school?
4. What job did Muv offer to the girl with whom Jessica exchanged letters?
5. Why did the Mitfords not immediately approve of Bryan Guinness?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)