|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Jessica feel about meeting Esmond?
2. Who delivered the note to the Mitfords saying Jessica and Esmond eloped?
(a) The postman.
3. What did Jessica call the savings account she opened?
(a) Her "Rainy Day" savings account.
(b) Her "Running Away" savings account.
(c) Her "University Fund" savings account.
(d) Her "Mine All Mine" savings account.
4. How did Esmond earn a living while in Spain?
(a) Selling state secrets.
(b) Writing for a newspaper.
(c) Collecting scrap metal.
5. According to Muv, what did marriage result in?
(a) Utter happiness.
(b) A woman having things to keep her busy.
(c) Money to do the things you've always wanted to do.
(d) Being able to relax.
6. What led to hunger marches in England in the 1930s?
(b) Political corruption.
(c) Rising unemployment.
7. With whom did Jessica become closer at the age of 15?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her sister Boud.
(c) Her sister Nancy.
(d) Her cousin Giles.
8. Where did Jessica and Esmond go directly upon arriving in Spain?
(a) A post office.
(b) A boxing match.
(c) A dinner show.
(d) A hotel.
9. Prince Edward's love affair with which woman scandalized Britain in the late 1930s?
(a) Diana Mitford.
(b) Alice Barrymore.
(c) Hedy Lamarr.
(d) Wallis Simpson.
10. What was the educational philosophy of Swinbrook House?
(a) Girls should have only enough education to manage a household.
(b) Every child should get a university degree.
(c) Studying is a waste of time.
(d) Stay in school only until 16, then get married.
11. To Jessica, what was the best part about being a debutante?
(a) Mixing with the upper class.
(b) Meeting new people.
(c) Attending parties.
(d) Getting dressed up.
12. Where did Esmond open his establishment in London?
(a) In a cafe.
(b) In a bookstore.
(c) In a church basement.
(d) In an apartment.
13. What was the name of the Mitford son?
14. What did the children call their father?
(b) His Majesty.
(c) Father 'M'.
15. What did Muv frequently play on the piano to which Jessica was forced to sing along?
(a) Nursery songs.
(b) Nazi songs.
(c) French music.
(d) Church hymns.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the girl with whom Jessica exchanged letters return home quickly after arriving at Swinbrook?
2. Why were the Mitford girls at one point disallowed from visiting Diana?
3. Which principle did the Mitfords' father strongly believe in?
4. What kind of vessel did Jessica and Esmond take to Spain?
5. Why did Nancy's mother want her work published under a pseudonym?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)