|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the girl with whom Jessica exchanged letters return home quickly after arriving at Swinbrook?
(a) She was a lazy worker.
(b) She was caught stealing.
(c) She became ill.
(d) She was homesick.
2. Where did Jessica learn that Esmond had run away from school?
(a) From the radio.
(b) From her mother.
(c) From newspaper reports.
(d) From a friend.
3. What did Nancy publish in the 1920s?
(a) A newspaper article.
(b) A journal.
(c) An instructional pamphlet.
(d) A novel.
4. Where did the Mitfords go on a cruise in spring of 1936?
(a) The Baltic.
(b) New York.
(c) The Mediterranean.
5. What did Jessica think of her married aunts?
(a) They were rather stuffy.
(b) They were bored.
(c) They were amazing.
(d) They were crazy.
6. According to Muv, what did marriage result in?
(a) Utter happiness.
(b) Money to do the things you've always wanted to do.
(c) A woman having things to keep her busy.
(d) Being able to relax.
7. How did Jessica fund her trip to Spain?
(a) With her trust-fund money.
(b) With her "Running Away" savings account.
(c) She secretly worked in a shop.
(d) She stole money from her parents.
8. What distinguished group did the Mitfords belong to?
(a) The Oxford University Board.
(b) The Queen's Political Society.
(c) The House of Lords.
(d) The Union of English Landowners.
9. What did Jessica call the savings account she opened?
(a) Her "Rainy Day" savings account.
(b) Her "University Fund" savings account.
(c) Her "Mine All Mine" savings account.
(d) Her "Running Away" savings account.
10. What was the purpose of the Mitfords' cruise?
(a) An educational tour.
(b) To have fun in the ship casino.
(c) To introduce the girls to society.
(d) A matchmaking opportunity.
11. Who was Dorothy Allhusen?
(a) Esmond's guardian.
(b) Jessica's father's mistress.
(c) A maid at Swinbrook House.
(d) One of Jessica's governesses.
12. Who delivered the note to the Mitfords saying Jessica and Esmond eloped?
(b) The postman.
13. What group did Sir Mosley organize?
(a) The British Union of Fascists.
(b) The English Anarchy Movement.
(c) The Nazi Party of the United Kingdom.
(d) The British Socialist Supporters.
14. Who of the following did not go on holiday in the spring of 1936?
15. What was Esmond's surname?
Short Answer Questions
1. While Jessica was planning to go to Spain, where was Muv making plans to go?
2. What did Tom study at school?
3. How did Jessica feel about meeting Esmond?
4. What were Jessica and the other children curious about their aunt who lived in a London flat?
5. What kind of vessel did Jessica and Esmond take to Spain?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)