|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the scarf Tao Chi'en's wife is wearing when she meets him?
2. How does Tao Chi'en make money?
3. When Eliza is asking about Joaquin, she tells people he is her what?
4. What is the name of the ship Paulina owns?
5. What does Tao Chi'en hope to do in California?
Essay Topic 1
Explore the minor character Ah Toy. What seems to be her driving force? Why is it important that a woman doing horrible things has such a long lifespan ahead of her? What message does that convey to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of Lin's ghost? How does she help to move the plot along? What does she represent for Tao Chi'en?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, characters often do favors for each other, and most of these characters are reciprocated in some way for their generosity, either by the person they helped or some other person or force. Choose three instances where favors are done and explain how these favors are repaid. What do you think Allende is saying about favors and payback?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)