|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it impossible that Eliza left with Joaquin?
2. What color is the scarf Tao Chi'en's wife is wearing when she meets him?
3. What is the last name of the Joaquin that Eliza hears about?
4. What item reveals Eliza's parentage?
5. What is the name of the area where young girls are taken to be prepared to be sold?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, irony surrounds Jacob Todd. Describe two things that are ironic about Jacob and explain why they are ironic. How do these instances of irony shape his story line?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the prostitutes that travel with Joe Bonecrusher with the singsong girls. What is the main difference in their situations? What is the significance of setting up this obvious juxtaposition in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, characters often do favors for each other, and most of these characters are reciprocated in some way for their generosity, either by the person they helped or some other person or force. Choose three instances where favors are done and explain how these favors are repaid. What do you think Allende is saying about favors and payback?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)