|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much is Tao Chi'en paid after diagnosing the dead girl?
2. During a two year period working with Tao Chi'en, how many times does Eliza leave to look for Joaquin?
3. Where in California does Eliza's boat dock?
4. What must Eliza amputate from a man with gangrene?
5. How does Tao find out that Joaquin has been killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, characters often do favors for each other, and most of these characters are reciprocated in some way for their generosity, either by the person they helped or some other person or force. Choose three instances where favors are done and explain how these favors are repaid. What do you think Allende is saying about favors and payback?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the novel, it is not clear if Eliza actually saw the head of her lover Joaquin or a stranger. Based on her reaction, do you think it is really her Joaquin? Using examples from the novel as support, explain what you think she will do now.
Essay Topic 3
Eliza and Tao Chi'en obviously have a very strong bond that grows throughout the novel. Why do they ignore their connection at first? Why do they eventually reconnect? What is the significance of their reunion?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)