|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Eliza make money now that she's on her own?
2. When Lin's ghost appears to Tao Chi'en, what is she wearing?
3. Why must Eliza admit to Tao Chi'en that she is pregnant?
4. How does Eliza respond when Tao Chi'en asks her if the dead Joaquin is her Joaquin?
5. What year is it when "Joaquin" begins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the prostitutes that travel with Joe Bonecrusher with the singsong girls. What is the main difference in their situations? What is the significance of setting up this obvious juxtaposition in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Allende portrays the prostitutes in the traveling brothel and the one on the ship as being very kind and loyal. List some examples of times that prostitutes are shown in a good light. What is the significance of portraying these women (who are doing what might be considered immoral by most) as caring and helpful?
Essay Topic 3
The sage's theory is that happiness comes from serving others. If this idea is accurate, which characters in the story should be the happiest? Do they seem happy? Which characters seem the least happy? Use examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)