|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Eliza's role when she joins the traveling brothel?
2. What does Jacob change his last name to?
3. What does Eliza bring for James and Esther at the end of "Singsong Girls"?
4. What name does Eliza go by as a boy?
5. When Eliza is asking about Joaquin, she tells people he is her what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the minor character Ah Toy. What seems to be her driving force? Why is it important that a woman doing horrible things has such a long lifespan ahead of her? What message does that convey to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Eliza has two clashing worlds influencing her as she grows up: the world of proper English people and the world of Chilean poverty. Which lifestyle does she seem to enjoy more? How does each lifestyle shape the woman she grows up to be? Use specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Choose three characters who have changed their names throughout the story. What is the significance of these name changes? How are their reasons for doing this different or similar?
This section contains 208 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)