|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does James do for a living?
2. Who says: "The woman very cleverly pawned her daughter off on us"?
3. Why is it impossible that Eliza left with Joaquin?
4. What is the first thing Tao Chi'en needs to do to establish himself?
5. When Lin's ghost appears to Tao Chi'en, what is she wearing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Lin's ghost? How does she help to move the plot along? What does she represent for Tao Chi'en?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the novel, it is not clear if Eliza actually saw the head of her lover Joaquin or a stranger. Based on her reaction, do you think it is really her Joaquin? Using examples from the novel as support, explain what you think she will do now.
Essay Topic 3
Eliza and Tao Chi'en obviously have a very strong bond that grows throughout the novel. Why do they ignore their connection at first? Why do they eventually reconnect? What is the significance of their reunion?
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)