|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jacob change his last name to?
2. What is the name of the area where young girls are taken to be prepared to be sold?
3. After hearing about the success of Paulina's shipping line, other people, mentioned specifically in the novel, have tried to duplicate it by shipping what?
4. Why must Eliza admit to Tao Chi'en that she is pregnant?
5. What must Eliza amputate from a man with gangrene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John and Jeremy are brothers who are both major influences in the lives of Eliza and Rose, and they bump heads quite a bit. How are they alike and how are they different? Which brother is better suited to be a father figure to Eliza and even Rose?
Essay Topic 2
Eliza has two clashing worlds influencing her as she grows up: the world of proper English people and the world of Chilean poverty. Which lifestyle does she seem to enjoy more? How does each lifestyle shape the woman she grows up to be? Use specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Eliza and Tao Chi'en obviously have a very strong bond that grows throughout the novel. Why do they ignore their connection at first? Why do they eventually reconnect? What is the significance of their reunion?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)