|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tao Chi'en say Eliza is?
2. How much is Tao Chi'en paid after diagnosing the dead girl?
3. What is the name of Joaquin's gang member?
4. How does Eliza respond when Tao Chi'en asks her if the dead Joaquin is her Joaquin?
5. How long does Jacob look for Joaquin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the prostitutes that travel with Joe Bonecrusher with the singsong girls. What is the main difference in their situations? What is the significance of setting up this obvious juxtaposition in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The sage's theory is that happiness comes from serving others. If this idea is accurate, which characters in the story should be the happiest? Do they seem happy? Which characters seem the least happy? Use examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Rose and Tao Chi'en both have chapters dedicated to telling their back stories. Why is it important to include background information on these characters? Why would Allende not tell the story in chronological order?
This section contains 222 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)