|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After hearing about the success of Paulina's shipping line, other people, mentioned specifically in the novel, have tried to duplicate it by shipping what?
2. What illness is sweeping the town where the brothel resides for the winter?
3. Why must Eliza admit to Tao Chi'en that she is pregnant?
4. What does Tao Chi'en give to the person who helps Eliza?
5. What does Tao Chi'en determine that a young prostitute died of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eliza has two clashing worlds influencing her as she grows up: the world of proper English people and the world of Chilean poverty. Which lifestyle does she seem to enjoy more? How does each lifestyle shape the woman she grows up to be? Use specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Allende portrays the prostitutes in the traveling brothel and the one on the ship as being very kind and loyal. List some examples of times that prostitutes are shown in a good light. What is the significance of portraying these women (who are doing what might be considered immoral by most) as caring and helpful?
Essay Topic 3
The sage's theory is that happiness comes from serving others. If this idea is accurate, which characters in the story should be the happiest? Do they seem happy? Which characters seem the least happy? Use examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)