|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During a two year period working with Tao Chi'en, how many times does Eliza leave to look for Joaquin?
2. Why must Eliza admit to Tao Chi'en that she is pregnant?
3. What is the name of the prostitute that finds love with James?
4. What is the last name of the Joaquin that Eliza hears about?
5. What illness is sweeping the town where the brothel resides for the winter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, irony surrounds Jacob Todd. Describe two things that are ironic about Jacob and explain why they are ironic. How do these instances of irony shape his story line?
Essay Topic 2
Rose and Tao Chi'en both have chapters dedicated to telling their back stories. Why is it important to include background information on these characters? Why would Allende not tell the story in chronological order?
Essay Topic 3
Eliza and Tao Chi'en obviously have a very strong bond that grows throughout the novel. Why do they ignore their connection at first? Why do they eventually reconnect? What is the significance of their reunion?
This section contains 212 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)