|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Eliza respond when Tao Chi'en asks her if the dead Joaquin is her Joaquin?
2. How does Tao find out that Joaquin has been killed?
3. What item reveals Eliza's parentage?
4. How much time goes by before Rose realizes Eliza is missing?
5. When Tao Chi'en and Eliza arrive in California, what does he suggest she look for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What function does Paulina play in the plot? What themes are portrayed through her character? How is she similar or different than the other female characters?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, characters often do favors for each other, and most of these characters are reciprocated in some way for their generosity, either by the person they helped or some other person or force. Choose three instances where favors are done and explain how these favors are repaid. What do you think Allende is saying about favors and payback?
Essay Topic 3
John and Jeremy are brothers who are both major influences in the lives of Eliza and Rose, and they bump heads quite a bit. How are they alike and how are they different? Which brother is better suited to be a father figure to Eliza and even Rose?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)