|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the ship Paulina owns?
2. How do the people in the brothel survive the winter?
3. What is the first thing Tao Chi'en needs to do to establish himself?
4. What must Eliza amputate from a man with gangrene?
5. How does Tao Chi'en make money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What function does Paulina play in the plot? What themes are portrayed through her character? How is she similar or different than the other female characters?
Essay Topic 2
Tao Chi'en is mentioned as far back as the first chapter, but he is not included in the plot until the eighth chapter. What reason would Allende have for mentioning his name several times in the narrative early on? Is it surprising when he is officially introduced?
Essay Topic 3
Rose and Tao Chi'en both have chapters dedicated to telling their back stories. Why is it important to include background information on these characters? Why would Allende not tell the story in chronological order?
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)