|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year is it when "Joaquin" begins?
2. What is the name of the ship Paulina owns?
3. On what day does Rose always become ill?
4. What does Eliza send to Rose from California when she realizes how much she misses her?
5. How does Eliza respond when Tao Chi'en asks her if the dead Joaquin is her Joaquin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rose and Tao Chi'en both have chapters dedicated to telling their back stories. Why is it important to include background information on these characters? Why would Allende not tell the story in chronological order?
Essay Topic 2
Eliza has two clashing worlds influencing her as she grows up: the world of proper English people and the world of Chilean poverty. Which lifestyle does she seem to enjoy more? How does each lifestyle shape the woman she grows up to be? Use specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the prostitutes that travel with Joe Bonecrusher with the singsong girls. What is the main difference in their situations? What is the significance of setting up this obvious juxtaposition in the novel?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)