|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lin's ghost appears to Tao Chi'en, what is she wearing?
2. How does Tao find out that Joaquin has been killed?
3. What is the last name of the Joaquin that Eliza hears about?
4. What must Eliza amputate from a man with gangrene?
5. What illness is sweeping the town where the brothel resides for the winter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a few characters in Daughter of Fortune who have similar experiences with different outcomes. How do class differences dictate consequences of actions in this novel? Does race or gender play a role?
Essay Topic 2
Allende portrays the prostitutes in the traveling brothel and the one on the ship as being very kind and loyal. List some examples of times that prostitutes are shown in a good light. What is the significance of portraying these women (who are doing what might be considered immoral by most) as caring and helpful?
Essay Topic 3
Upon being acquainted, Eliza and Joaquin seem to have very little in common. What do they see in each other? Eliza and Tao Chi'en also seem to have many differences. Do you think their relationship will work out any better? Use examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)