|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time goes by before Rose realizes Eliza is missing?
2. When Eliza is asking about Joaquin, she tells people he is her what?
3. How long is Eliza on the boat?
4. What does Tao Chi'en give to the person who helps Eliza?
5. What does Eliza bring for James and Esther at the end of "Singsong Girls"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What function does Paulina play in the plot? What themes are portrayed through her character? How is she similar or different than the other female characters?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, irony surrounds Jacob Todd. Describe two things that are ironic about Jacob and explain why they are ironic. How do these instances of irony shape his story line?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in the novel break out from their traditional or expected roles. Choose two characters who have done this and compare and contrast their situations. Does rebelling against society's norms help or hurt them?
This section contains 201 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)