|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says: "You owe me satisfaction"?
2. What is Jeremy's brother's job?
3. In which Chilean city do Jeremy and Rose live?
4. How many children does Karl have?
5. What does Jeremy find in his bottle of brandy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Eliza truly feels like she is part of the Sommers family?
2. What advice does Feliciano give the people from the boat about life in the new country?
3. What does Jacob do to become a celebrity?
4. Why does Eliza begin to doubt that Joaquin Murieta was her lover, Joaquin?
5. How does Joaquin respond when he is offered gifts or payments?
6. Describe some of Joaquin's views on a perfect society.
7. When the zhong yi dies, why does Tao Chi'en want to get away from China?
8. In what manner does Rose raise Eliza?
9. How does Paulina's business venture differ from those of other people who plan to make money off of trade to California?
10. Why does Tao Chi'en decide to help Eliza get on the boat to California?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John and Jeremy are brothers who are both major influences in the lives of Eliza and Rose, and they bump heads quite a bit. How are they alike and how are they different? Which brother is better suited to be a father figure to Eliza and even Rose?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used throughout the novel. Think of two instances of foreshadowing and explain their significance. Do the instances help you form a picture in your mind about what happens to the characters after the novel ends?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, irony surrounds Jacob Todd. Describe two things that are ironic about Jacob and explain why they are ironic. How do these instances of irony shape his story line?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)