|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who continues to visit Jacob after his public shame?
2. Why does Jacob decide to help Paulina?
3. What does the name Tao mean?
4. What is Jacob's last name?
5. In which Chilean city do Jeremy and Rose live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joaquin's childhood.
2. Describe the roles of Tao Chi'en and each of his siblings in the family.
3. Which female character do you think most defies the typical role of women in society?
4. Why has Rose never been married?
5. Why does Paulina want John to be the captain of her steamship?
6. Do Eliza and Joaquin logically make a good pair?
7. What does Jacob Todd think of Rose when he first meets her?
8. How does Paulina's business venture differ from those of other people who plan to make money off of trade to California?
9. Describe the kind of wife Tao Chi'en is looking for.
10. How does Rose begin to behave after she realizes her daughter has run away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Upon being acquainted, Eliza and Joaquin seem to have very little in common. What do they see in each other? Eliza and Tao Chi'en also seem to have many differences. Do you think their relationship will work out any better? Use examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
The sage's theory is that happiness comes from serving others. If this idea is accurate, which characters in the story should be the happiest? Do they seem happy? Which characters seem the least happy? Use examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, irony surrounds Jacob Todd. Describe two things that are ironic about Jacob and explain why they are ironic. How do these instances of irony shape his story line?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)