|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who assigns the chaplain to go to Chile?
2. Tao Chi'en goes to work for whom?
3. Why isn't Eliza worried about being caught with Joaquin in the house?
4. Who says: "Times have changed. Once a stain on a woman's honor could be washed away only with blood"?
5. What hobby does Eliza enjoy most?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Michael storm out of the Sommers' home never to return?
2. What does Jacob Todd think of Rose when he first meets her?
3. In what way is Rose's father more similar to her than to his sons?
4. Why has Rose never been married?
5. When the zhong yi dies, why does Tao Chi'en want to get away from China?
6. What does Rose Sommers think about Joaquin at first, and then upon a second look?
7. Why is Tao Chi'en treated decently by his first owner?
8. How does fate intervene for Eliza at the end of "The News"?
9. Do you think Jeremy does the right thing in interfering with Rose's love life?
10. Why does Tao Chi'en decide to help Eliza get on the boat to California?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Lin's ghost? How does she help to move the plot along? What does she represent for Tao Chi'en?
Essay Topic 2
We see unrequited love a lot in this novel. Describe three instances of unrequited love and explain how they relate to the novel as a whole. How do they shape the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in the novel break out from their traditional or expected roles. Choose two characters who have done this and compare and contrast their situations. Does rebelling against society's norms help or hurt them?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)