|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do people in Chile think Jacob comes there?
2. What illness is going around Chile when Rose and Jeremy arrive there?
3. What is Jeremy's brother's job?
4. How do the surgeons try to heal Jacob when he is ill?
5. What reason does Eliza give to John for her being ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Eliza truly feels like she is part of the Sommers family?
2. Which female character do you think most defies the typical role of women in society?
3. Does Joaquin feel bad about stealing from the importing company?
4. Why do the townspeople come to Joe's aid when her barn burns down?
5. In what way is Rose's father more similar to her than to his sons?
6. In what manner does Rose raise Eliza?
7. Describe Eliza's appearance as a baby and when she gets older.
8. Explain the roles of John, Jeremy, and Rose within the household.
9. How does Rose begin to behave after she realizes her daughter has run away?
10. What does Jacob Todd think of Rose when he first meets her?
Essay Topic 1
There are a few characters in Daughter of Fortune who have similar experiences with different outcomes. How do class differences dictate consequences of actions in this novel? Does race or gender play a role?
Essay Topic 2
Rose and Tao Chi'en both have chapters dedicated to telling their back stories. Why is it important to include background information on these characters? Why would Allende not tell the story in chronological order?
Essay Topic 3
John and Jeremy are brothers who are both major influences in the lives of Eliza and Rose, and they bump heads quite a bit. How are they alike and how are they different? Which brother is better suited to be a father figure to Eliza and even Rose?
This section contains 1,464 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)