|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Paulina's father send her?
2. What does Eliza learn from the woman who works for Jeremy and Rose?
3. Who is responsible for separating Rose and Karl?
4. Tao Chi'en goes to work for whom?
5. What does Eliza offer to Joaquin when he makes a delivery to her house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What character traits are listed that England and Chile share?
2. What new reason is revealed in "Miss Rose" for why Rose is not interested in marriage?
3. What advice does Feliciano give the people from the boat about life in the new country?
4. Describe Michael's appearance.
5. Why does Michael storm out of the Sommers' home never to return?
6. How does Jacob react when John tells him that Eliza has run off in search of her lover?
7. How does fate intervene for Eliza at the end of "The News"?
8. How does John convince Jacob to go back to England with him?
9. What does Tao Chi'en learn about happiness from his second owner, the zhong yi?
10. Do you think Jeremy does the right thing in interfering with Rose's love life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rose and Tao Chi'en both have chapters dedicated to telling their back stories. Why is it important to include background information on these characters? Why would Allende not tell the story in chronological order?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, characters often do favors for each other, and most of these characters are reciprocated in some way for their generosity, either by the person they helped or some other person or force. Choose three instances where favors are done and explain how these favors are repaid. What do you think Allende is saying about favors and payback?
Essay Topic 3
Eliza has two clashing worlds influencing her as she grows up: the world of proper English people and the world of Chilean poverty. Which lifestyle does she seem to enjoy more? How does each lifestyle shape the woman she grows up to be? Use specific examples.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)