|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often does Rose take the items from Eliza's dowry out to protect them from humidity and moths?
2. What is the name of the man that Rose introduces to her daughter?
3. Tao Chi'en comes from a family of what?
4. Where does Eliza leave a letter for Rose?
5. How old is Tao Chi'en's sister when she dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jacob do to become a celebrity?
2. Which female character do you think most defies the typical role of women in society?
3. Explain the roles of John, Jeremy, and Rose within the household.
4. When the zhong yi dies, why does Tao Chi'en want to get away from China?
5. Why does Eliza feel comfortable in California?
6. How does Joaquin respond when he is offered gifts or payments?
7. What does Lin's ghost tell Tao Chi'en when she visits him in "Joaquin"?
8. Describe Michael's appearance.
9. What methods does Mama Fresia use to try to cure Eliza of being lovesick?
10. How does Rose begin to behave after she realizes her daughter has run away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, irony surrounds Jacob Todd. Describe two things that are ironic about Jacob and explain why they are ironic. How do these instances of irony shape his story line?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used throughout the novel. Think of two instances of foreshadowing and explain their significance. Do the instances help you form a picture in your mind about what happens to the characters after the novel ends?
Essay Topic 3
Upon being acquainted, Eliza and Joaquin seem to have very little in common. What do they see in each other? Eliza and Tao Chi'en also seem to have many differences. Do you think their relationship will work out any better? Use examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)