|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tao Chi'en's sister die?
2. How old is Tao Chi'en when he gets separated from his family?
3. Who says: "You owe me satisfaction"?
4. What business venture does Paulina want to make?
5. In what room do Eliza and Joaquin first make love?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Feliciano give the people from the boat about life in the new country?
2. What items does Eliza take with her to California?
3. How does Mama Fresia find out that Eliza is seeing Joaquin?
4. Why is Tao Chi'en treated decently by his first owner?
5. How does James feel about falling in love with a loose woman like Esther?
6. How does John convince Jacob to go back to England with him?
7. Which female character do you think most defies the typical role of women in society?
8. Why don't Rose Sommers and Mama Fresia try to stop Eliza from delivering her letter to Joaquin?
9. Why does Agustin eventually allow Paulina to have a public wedding?
10. Describe the roles of Tao Chi'en and each of his siblings in the family.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Lin's ghost? How does she help to move the plot along? What does she represent for Tao Chi'en?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the novel, it is not clear if Eliza actually saw the head of her lover Joaquin or a stranger. Based on her reaction, do you think it is really her Joaquin? Using examples from the novel as support, explain what you think she will do now.
Essay Topic 3
Choose three characters who have changed their names throughout the story. What is the significance of these name changes? How are their reasons for doing this different or similar?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)