|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes friends with Joaquin at the beginning of "A Ruined Reputation"?
2. What illness is going around Chile when Rose and Jeremy arrive there?
3. What is Paulina's last name before she gets married?
4. Where is Tao Chi'en sold after ten years of slavery?
5. What is the name of the woman who works for Jeremy and Rose?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Rose and John keep Eliza's parentage a secret from Jeremy?
2. Describe Jacob Todd's living situation as he settles into Chile.
3. What methods does Mama Fresia use to try to cure Eliza of being lovesick?
4. Why does Eliza feel comfortable in California?
5. Do you think Eliza truly feels like she is part of the Sommers family?
6. How does Jacob react when John tells him that Eliza has run off in search of her lover?
7. How does Joaquin respond when he is offered gifts or payments?
8. How does Rose behave when she finds out she is not pregnant?
9. Do Eliza and Joaquin logically make a good pair?
10. How does Mama Fresia find out that Eliza is seeing Joaquin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose three characters who have changed their names throughout the story. What is the significance of these name changes? How are their reasons for doing this different or similar?
Essay Topic 2
Eliza has two clashing worlds influencing her as she grows up: the world of proper English people and the world of Chilean poverty. Which lifestyle does she seem to enjoy more? How does each lifestyle shape the woman she grows up to be? Use specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
What function does Paulina play in the plot? What themes are portrayed through her character? How is she similar or different than the other female characters?
This section contains 1,467 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)