Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jeremy's brother's job?
2. Why does Paulina's father disapprove of her lover?
3. How old is the man that Rose introduces to Eliza?
4. What does Eliza think Joaquin's name is?
5. How does Tao Chi'en's sister die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mama Fresia find out that Eliza is seeing Joaquin?
2. What does Tao Chi'en learn about happiness from his second owner, the zhong yi?
3. In what way is Rose's father more similar to her than to his sons?
4. How does Paulina's business venture differ from those of other people who plan to make money off of trade to California?
5. How does fate intervene for Eliza at the end of "The News"?
6. What does Jacob do to become a celebrity?
7. How does Rose feel about Eliza spending a lot of time in the kitchen?
8. Why don't Rose Sommers and Mama Fresia try to stop Eliza from delivering her letter to Joaquin?
9. Why has Rose never been married?
10. Why do the townspeople come to Joe's aid when her barn burns down?
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in the novel break out from their traditional or expected roles. Choose two characters who have done this and compare and contrast their situations. Does rebelling against society's norms help or hurt them?
Essay Topic 2
John and Jeremy are brothers who are both major influences in the lives of Eliza and Rose, and they bump heads quite a bit. How are they alike and how are they different? Which brother is better suited to be a father figure to Eliza and even Rose?
Essay Topic 3
Upon being acquainted, Eliza and Joaquin seem to have very little in common. What do they see in each other? Eliza and Tao Chi'en also seem to have many differences. Do you think their relationship will work out any better? Use examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)