|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes friends with Joaquin at the beginning of "A Ruined Reputation"?
2. Where does Paulina's father send her?
3. What year does Eliza begin living with Jeremy and Rose?
4. How does Tao Chi'en's sister die?
5. How old is Eliza in "Suitors"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tao Chi'en learn about happiness from his second owner, the zhong yi?
2. Do Eliza and Joaquin logically make a good pair?
3. How does Rose behave when she finds out she is not pregnant?
4. Why is Tao Chi'en treated decently by his first owner?
5. What is Eliza's reputation like at the brothel?
6. Why does Eliza begin to doubt that Joaquin Murieta was her lover, Joaquin?
7. How does Rose begin to behave after she realizes her daughter has run away?
8. What methods does Mama Fresia use to try to cure Eliza of being lovesick?
9. Describe Eliza and Tao Chi'en's relationship in "The Argonauts."
10. Do you think Jeremy does the right thing in interfering with Rose's love life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose three characters who have changed their names throughout the story. What is the significance of these name changes? How are their reasons for doing this different or similar?
Essay Topic 2
What function does Paulina play in the plot? What themes are portrayed through her character? How is she similar or different than the other female characters?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the minor character Ah Toy. What seems to be her driving force? Why is it important that a woman doing horrible things has such a long lifespan ahead of her? What message does that convey to the reader?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)