Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jeremy's brother's job?
2. Why does Paulina's father disapprove of her lover?
3. How old is the man that Rose introduces to Eliza?
4. What does Eliza think Joaquin's name is?
5. How does Tao Chi'en's sister die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mama Fresia find out that Eliza is seeing Joaquin?
2. What does Tao Chi'en learn about happiness from his second owner, the zhong yi?
3. In what way is Rose's father more similar to her than to his sons?
4. How does Paulina's business venture differ from those of other people who plan to make money off of trade to California?
5. How does fate intervene for Eliza at the end of "The News"?
6. What does Jacob do to become a celebrity?
7. How does Rose feel about Eliza spending a lot of time in the kitchen?
8. Why don't Rose Sommers and Mama Fresia try to stop Eliza from delivering her letter to Joaquin?
9. Why has Rose never been married?
10. Why do the townspeople come to Joe's aid when her barn burns down?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the prostitutes that travel with Joe Bonecrusher with the singsong girls. What is the main difference in their situations? What is the significance of setting up this obvious juxtaposition in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Eliza and Tao Chi'en obviously have a very strong bond that grows throughout the novel. Why do they ignore their connection at first? Why do they eventually reconnect? What is the significance of their reunion?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the minor character Ah Toy. What seems to be her driving force? Why is it important that a woman doing horrible things has such a long lifespan ahead of her? What message does that convey to the reader?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)