|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month is it when the news about gold reaches Chile?
2. Who sends Eliza and Mama Fresia to administer healing methods?
3. What is Jacob's last name?
4. In what room do Eliza and Joaquin first make love?
5. Who does Eliza follow when she is looking for a way onto the boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Rose never been married?
2. What does Lin's ghost tell Tao Chi'en when she visits him in "Joaquin"?
3. What does Rose Sommers think about Joaquin at first, and then upon a second look?
4. What methods does Mama Fresia use to try to cure Eliza of being lovesick?
5. Describe Michael's appearance.
6. How does Joaquin respond when he is offered gifts or payments?
7. Explain the roles of John, Jeremy, and Rose within the household.
8. How does Rose feel about Eliza spending a lot of time in the kitchen?
9. Does Tao Chi'en enjoy his work on the boat? Why or why not?
10. Overall, how are women fairing in California?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the minor character Ah Toy. What seems to be her driving force? Why is it important that a woman doing horrible things has such a long lifespan ahead of her? What message does that convey to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Upon being acquainted, Eliza and Joaquin seem to have very little in common. What do they see in each other? Eliza and Tao Chi'en also seem to have many differences. Do you think their relationship will work out any better? Use examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Rose and Tao Chi'en both have chapters dedicated to telling their back stories. Why is it important to include background information on these characters? Why would Allende not tell the story in chronological order?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)