|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often does Rose take the items from Eliza's dowry out to protect them from humidity and moths?
2. What is the name of the man that Rose introduces to her daughter?
3. What season is it when "The News" starts?
4. What does Eliza learn from the woman who works for Jeremy and Rose?
5. What year does Eliza begin living with Jeremy and Rose?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the townspeople come to Joe's aid when her barn burns down?
2. Why does Feliciano think it is pointless for Paulina to have a bank account in her name?
3. Does Tao Chi'en enjoy his work on the boat? Why or why not?
4. What does Lin's ghost tell Tao Chi'en when she visits him in "Joaquin"?
5. Overall, how are women fairing in California?
6. What methods does Mama Fresia use to try to cure Eliza of being lovesick?
7. Why does Tao Chi'en decide to help Eliza get on the boat to California?
8. Describe Michael's appearance.
9. What is Eliza's reputation like at the brothel?
10. How does Mama Fresia find out that Eliza is seeing Joaquin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is used throughout the novel. Think of two instances of foreshadowing and explain their significance. Do the instances help you form a picture in your mind about what happens to the characters after the novel ends?
Essay Topic 2
We see unrequited love a lot in this novel. Describe three instances of unrequited love and explain how they relate to the novel as a whole. How do they shape the plot?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of Lin's ghost? How does she help to move the plot along? What does she represent for Tao Chi'en?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)