|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joaquin steal to sell in order to make money for his journey?
2. What does Eliza promise to give Tao Chi'en?
3. Why does Jacob decide to help Paulina?
4. What is the name of the woman who works for Jeremy and Rose?
5. When does Jacob become very ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jacob react when John tells him that Eliza has run off in search of her lover?
2. Why does Rose's anger about Eliza's disappearance subside when she goes to talk with Joaquin's mother?
3. How does Rose begin to behave after she realizes her daughter has run away?
4. In what manner does Rose raise Eliza?
5. Why does Tao Chi'en decide to help Eliza get on the boat to California?
6. Describe Joaquin's childhood.
7. Why don't Rose Sommers and Mama Fresia try to stop Eliza from delivering her letter to Joaquin?
8. Why does the ghost of Lin tell Tao Chi'en that he has to help Eliza when she becomes ill on the boat?
9. What does Lin's ghost tell Tao Chi'en when she visits him in "Joaquin"?
10. Describe Jacob Todd's living situation as he settles into Chile.
Essay Topic 1
Explore the minor character Ah Toy. What seems to be her driving force? Why is it important that a woman doing horrible things has such a long lifespan ahead of her? What message does that convey to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of Lin's ghost? How does she help to move the plot along? What does she represent for Tao Chi'en?
Essay Topic 3
Allende portrays the prostitutes in the traveling brothel and the one on the ship as being very kind and loyal. List some examples of times that prostitutes are shown in a good light. What is the significance of portraying these women (who are doing what might be considered immoral by most) as caring and helpful?
This section contains 1,556 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)