|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Paulina's last name before she gets married?
2. What is the name of the man that Rose introduces to her daughter?
3. What season is it when "The News" starts?
4. What is the name of the place where Jacob goes to have a drink?
5. What reason does Eliza give to John for her being ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eliza feel about the abortion that Mama Fresia wants to perform?
2. Why does the ghost of Lin tell Tao Chi'en that he has to help Eliza when she becomes ill on the boat?
3. Describe some of Joaquin's views on a perfect society.
4. What items does Eliza take with her to California?
5. Why has Rose never been married?
6. Describe the roles of Tao Chi'en and each of his siblings in the family.
7. Why does Eliza go by the name Elias Andieta?
8. How does fate intervene for Eliza at the end of "The News"?
9. Describe Joaquin's childhood.
10. Why does Eliza begin to doubt that Joaquin Murieta was her lover, Joaquin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eliza has two clashing worlds influencing her as she grows up: the world of proper English people and the world of Chilean poverty. Which lifestyle does she seem to enjoy more? How does each lifestyle shape the woman she grows up to be? Use specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Upon being acquainted, Eliza and Joaquin seem to have very little in common. What do they see in each other? Eliza and Tao Chi'en also seem to have many differences. Do you think their relationship will work out any better? Use examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
There are a few characters in Daughter of Fortune who have similar experiences with different outcomes. How do class differences dictate consequences of actions in this novel? Does race or gender play a role?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)