|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jeremy's brother's job?
2. Why does Paulina's father disapprove of her lover?
3. How old is the man that Rose introduces to Eliza?
4. What does Eliza think Joaquin's name is?
5. How does Tao Chi'en's sister die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mama Fresia find out that Eliza is seeing Joaquin?
2. What does Tao Chi'en learn about happiness from his second owner, the zhong yi?
3. In what way is Rose's father more similar to her than to his sons?
4. How does Paulina's business venture differ from those of other people who plan to make money off of trade to California?
5. How does fate intervene for Eliza at the end of "The News"?
6. What does Jacob do to become a celebrity?
7. How does Rose feel about Eliza spending a lot of time in the kitchen?
8. Why don't Rose Sommers and Mama Fresia try to stop Eliza from delivering her letter to Joaquin?
9. Why has Rose never been married?
10. Why do the townspeople come to Joe's aid when her barn burns down?
Essay Topic 1
What function does Paulina play in the plot? What themes are portrayed through her character? How is she similar or different than the other female characters?
Essay Topic 2
Upon being acquainted, Eliza and Joaquin seem to have very little in common. What do they see in each other? Eliza and Tao Chi'en also seem to have many differences. Do you think their relationship will work out any better? Use examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
There are a few characters in Daughter of Fortune who have similar experiences with different outcomes. How do class differences dictate consequences of actions in this novel? Does race or gender play a role?
This section contains 1,442 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)