|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Rose is younger, what occupation does she want to have?
2. What does Eliza promise to give Tao Chi'en?
3. What is Jeremy's brother named?
4. How old is Tao Chi'en's sister when she dies?
5. Why does a chaplain arrive in Valparaiso?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the townspeople come to Joe's aid when her barn burns down?
2. What new reason is revealed in "Miss Rose" for why Rose is not interested in marriage?
3. Does Tao Chi'en enjoy his work on the boat? Why or why not?
4. Explain the roles of John, Jeremy, and Rose within the household.
5. Describe Joaquin's childhood.
6. Describe the kind of wife Tao Chi'en is looking for.
7. How does Joaquin respond when he is offered gifts or payments?
8. Describe Jacob Todd's living situation as he settles into Chile.
9. Why does Feliciano think it is pointless for Paulina to have a bank account in her name?
10. What does Rose Sommers think about Joaquin at first, and then upon a second look?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Lin's ghost? How does she help to move the plot along? What does she represent for Tao Chi'en?
Essay Topic 2
Rose and Tao Chi'en both have chapters dedicated to telling their back stories. Why is it important to include background information on these characters? Why would Allende not tell the story in chronological order?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, characters often do favors for each other, and most of these characters are reciprocated in some way for their generosity, either by the person they helped or some other person or force. Choose three instances where favors are done and explain how these favors are repaid. What do you think Allende is saying about favors and payback?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)