|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Paulina's father disapprove of her lover?
2. Where is Tao Chi'en sold after ten years of slavery?
3. What season is it when "The News" starts?
4. What reason does Eliza give to John for her being ill?
5. What does Jeremy find in his bottle of brandy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jacob react when John tells him that Eliza has run off in search of her lover?
2. Why is Tao Chi'en treated decently by his first owner?
3. Why does Eliza feel comfortable in California?
4. How does Rose begin to behave after she realizes her daughter has run away?
5. What does Tao Chi'en learn about happiness from his second owner, the zhong yi?
6. Describe Eliza and Tao Chi'en's relationship in "The Argonauts."
7. Why does Rose's anger about Eliza's disappearance subside when she goes to talk with Joaquin's mother?
8. How does fate intervene for Eliza at the end of "The News"?
9. How does Mama Fresia find out that Eliza is seeing Joaquin?
10. Overall, how are women fairing in California?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What function does Paulina play in the plot? What themes are portrayed through her character? How is she similar or different than the other female characters?
Essay Topic 2
Eliza has two clashing worlds influencing her as she grows up: the world of proper English people and the world of Chilean poverty. Which lifestyle does she seem to enjoy more? How does each lifestyle shape the woman she grows up to be? Use specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Upon being acquainted, Eliza and Joaquin seem to have very little in common. What do they see in each other? Eliza and Tao Chi'en also seem to have many differences. Do you think their relationship will work out any better? Use examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,446 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)