|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who rescues Eliza from being accosted?
2. Where is Rose when she is unexpectedly kissed?
3. Who continues to visit Jacob after his public shame?
4. What is the relationship of Jeremy and Rose?
5. What year is it when Jacob comes to Chile?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of Joaquin's views on a perfect society.
2. Do Eliza and Joaquin logically make a good pair?
3. What does Tao Chi'en learn about happiness from his second owner, the zhong yi?
4. Does Joaquin feel bad about stealing from the importing company?
5. What does Rose Sommers think about Joaquin at first, and then upon a second look?
6. What advice does Feliciano give the people from the boat about life in the new country?
7. How does fate intervene for Eliza at the end of "The News"?
8. How does Eliza feel about the abortion that Mama Fresia wants to perform?
9. Why do you think Rose is set on Eliza finding a husband even though she has never wanted that life for herself?
10. Why does Eliza begin to doubt that Joaquin Murieta was her lover, Joaquin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in the novel break out from their traditional or expected roles. Choose two characters who have done this and compare and contrast their situations. Does rebelling against society's norms help or hurt them?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the novel, it is not clear if Eliza actually saw the head of her lover Joaquin or a stranger. Based on her reaction, do you think it is really her Joaquin? Using examples from the novel as support, explain what you think she will do now.
Essay Topic 3
Choose three characters who have changed their names throughout the story. What is the significance of these name changes? How are their reasons for doing this different or similar?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)