|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Eliza follow when she is looking for a way onto the boat?
2. Who says: "Eliza is not exactly a beauty"?
3. What is the date when Joaquin leaves for his journey?
4. What is Karl described as looking like?
5. Who says: "Times have changed. Once a stain on a woman's honor could be washed away only with blood"?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the zhong yi dies, why does Tao Chi'en want to get away from China?
2. Describe Eliza and Tao Chi'en's relationship in "The Argonauts."
3. Why do you think Rose is set on Eliza finding a husband even though she has never wanted that life for herself?
4. Why do the townspeople come to Joe's aid when her barn burns down?
5. What is Eliza's reputation like at the brothel?
6. Why does Eliza go by the name Elias Andieta?
7. Why has Rose never been married?
8. Overall, how are women fairing in California?
9. How does Eliza come to understand what Joaquin meant when he talked about freedom?
10. Does Tao Chi'en enjoy his work on the boat? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eliza has two clashing worlds influencing her as she grows up: the world of proper English people and the world of Chilean poverty. Which lifestyle does she seem to enjoy more? How does each lifestyle shape the woman she grows up to be? Use specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Upon being acquainted, Eliza and Joaquin seem to have very little in common. What do they see in each other? Eliza and Tao Chi'en also seem to have many differences. Do you think their relationship will work out any better? Use examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
The sage's theory is that happiness comes from serving others. If this idea is accurate, which characters in the story should be the happiest? Do they seem happy? Which characters seem the least happy? Use examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)