|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What profession does Joaquin pursue at the age of fourteen?
2. In which Chilean city do Jeremy and Rose live?
3. Tao Chi'en comes from a family of what?
4. What task must Jacob complete in Chile?
5. What does Joaquin steal to sell in order to make money for his journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Feliciano give the people from the boat about life in the new country?
2. In what way is Rose's father more similar to her than to his sons?
3. How does Rose feel about Eliza spending a lot of time in the kitchen?
4. Why has Rose never been married?
5. Do you think Jeremy does the right thing in interfering with Rose's love life?
6. What does Jacob do to become a celebrity?
7. What does Lin's ghost tell Tao Chi'en when she visits him in "Joaquin"?
8. Why does Paulina want John to be the captain of her steamship?
9. Does Joaquin feel bad about stealing from the importing company?
10. Which female character do you think most defies the typical role of women in society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Upon being acquainted, Eliza and Joaquin seem to have very little in common. What do they see in each other? Eliza and Tao Chi'en also seem to have many differences. Do you think their relationship will work out any better? Use examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, irony surrounds Jacob Todd. Describe two things that are ironic about Jacob and explain why they are ironic. How do these instances of irony shape his story line?
Essay Topic 3
Allende portrays the prostitutes in the traveling brothel and the one on the ship as being very kind and loyal. List some examples of times that prostitutes are shown in a good light. What is the significance of portraying these women (who are doing what might be considered immoral by most) as caring and helpful?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)