|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Jacob become very ill?
2. What is the relationship of Jeremy and Rose?
3. How do the surgeons try to heal Jacob when he is ill?
4. What does Eliza promise to give Tao Chi'en?
5. Who asks: "Do you think anyone does anything free in this world, niña?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rose feel about Eliza spending a lot of time in the kitchen?
2. Do you think Jeremy does the right thing in interfering with Rose's love life?
3. Why does the ghost of Lin tell Tao Chi'en that he has to help Eliza when she becomes ill on the boat?
4. How does Eliza come to understand what Joaquin meant when he talked about freedom?
5. What items does Eliza take with her to California?
6. What does Lin's ghost tell Tao Chi'en when she visits him in "Joaquin"?
7. Why does Eliza feel comfortable in California?
8. Describe the kind of wife Tao Chi'en is looking for.
9. Describe Jacob Todd's living situation as he settles into Chile.
10. Explain the roles of John, Jeremy, and Rose within the household.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a few characters in Daughter of Fortune who have similar experiences with different outcomes. How do class differences dictate consequences of actions in this novel? Does race or gender play a role?
Essay Topic 2
John and Jeremy are brothers who are both major influences in the lives of Eliza and Rose, and they bump heads quite a bit. How are they alike and how are they different? Which brother is better suited to be a father figure to Eliza and even Rose?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of Lin's ghost? How does she help to move the plot along? What does she represent for Tao Chi'en?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)