|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Rose is younger, what occupation does she want to have?
2. What illness does Tao's master have?
3. How long does Jacob have to complete his task in Chile?
4. What year is it when Jacob comes to Chile?
5. What is the date when Joaquin leaves for his journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does fate intervene for Eliza at the end of "The News"?
2. Why does Eliza begin to doubt that Joaquin Murieta was her lover, Joaquin?
3. How does Paulina's business venture differ from those of other people who plan to make money off of trade to California?
4. Why does Rose's anger about Eliza's disappearance subside when she goes to talk with Joaquin's mother?
5. What does Tao Chi'en learn about happiness from his second owner, the zhong yi?
6. Describe Eliza's appearance as a baby and when she gets older.
7. What methods does Mama Fresia use to try to cure Eliza of being lovesick?
8. When the zhong yi dies, why does Tao Chi'en want to get away from China?
9. What does Jacob do to become a celebrity?
10. Describe the roles of Tao Chi'en and each of his siblings in the family.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a few characters in Daughter of Fortune who have similar experiences with different outcomes. How do class differences dictate consequences of actions in this novel? Does race or gender play a role?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the minor character Ah Toy. What seems to be her driving force? Why is it important that a woman doing horrible things has such a long lifespan ahead of her? What message does that convey to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Upon being acquainted, Eliza and Joaquin seem to have very little in common. What do they see in each other? Eliza and Tao Chi'en also seem to have many differences. Do you think their relationship will work out any better? Use examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)