|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man that Rose introduces to her daughter?
2. What month is it when Eliza first sees Joaquin?
3. What does Joaquin want to change?
4. What does Joaquin steal to sell in order to make money for his journey?
5. Why does Eliza choose Wednesday to meet Joaquin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rose behave when she finds out she is not pregnant?
2. How does Rose feel about Eliza spending a lot of time in the kitchen?
3. Why is Tao Chi'en particularly interested in helping young sex slaves?
4. In what manner does Rose raise Eliza?
5. Describe the kind of wife Tao Chi'en is looking for.
6. Describe some of Joaquin's views on a perfect society.
7. In what way is Rose's father more similar to her than to his sons?
8. Describe Michael's appearance.
9. Why don't Rose Sommers and Mama Fresia try to stop Eliza from delivering her letter to Joaquin?
10. Do Eliza and Joaquin logically make a good pair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eliza has two clashing worlds influencing her as she grows up: the world of proper English people and the world of Chilean poverty. Which lifestyle does she seem to enjoy more? How does each lifestyle shape the woman she grows up to be? Use specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used throughout the novel. Think of two instances of foreshadowing and explain their significance. Do the instances help you form a picture in your mind about what happens to the characters after the novel ends?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in the novel break out from their traditional or expected roles. Choose two characters who have done this and compare and contrast their situations. Does rebelling against society's norms help or hurt them?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)