|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Eliza choose Wednesday to meet Joaquin?
2. What illness is going around Chile when Rose and Jeremy arrive there?
3. What season is it when "The News" starts?
4. What year does Eliza begin living with Jeremy and Rose?
5. What year is it when Jacob comes to Chile?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jacob react when John tells him that Eliza has run off in search of her lover?
2. How does Mama Fresia find out that Eliza is seeing Joaquin?
3. Does Joaquin feel bad about stealing from the importing company?
4. When the zhong yi dies, why does Tao Chi'en want to get away from China?
5. How does Rose's view for Eliza differ from Jeremy's?
6. What methods does Mama Fresia use to try to cure Eliza of being lovesick?
7. What does Tao Chi'en learn about happiness from his second owner, the zhong yi?
8. Why do you think Rose is set on Eliza finding a husband even though she has never wanted that life for herself?
9. Why does Rose's anger about Eliza's disappearance subside when she goes to talk with Joaquin's mother?
10. How does Joaquin respond when he is offered gifts or payments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a few characters in Daughter of Fortune who have similar experiences with different outcomes. How do class differences dictate consequences of actions in this novel? Does race or gender play a role?
Essay Topic 2
Eliza and Tao Chi'en obviously have a very strong bond that grows throughout the novel. Why do they ignore their connection at first? Why do they eventually reconnect? What is the significance of their reunion?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the novel, it is not clear if Eliza actually saw the head of her lover Joaquin or a stranger. Based on her reaction, do you think it is really her Joaquin? Using examples from the novel as support, explain what you think she will do now.
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)