|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Eliza board the ship?
2. What year does Eliza begin living with Jeremy and Rose?
3. How many siblings does Tao Chi'en have?
4. What does Eliza think Joaquin's name is?
5. Who sends Eliza and Mama Fresia to administer healing methods?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jacob do to become a celebrity?
2. How does Rose begin to behave after she realizes her daughter has run away?
3. Why is Tao Chi'en particularly interested in helping young sex slaves?
4. Why do you think Rose is set on Eliza finding a husband even though she has never wanted that life for herself?
5. What does Lin's ghost tell Tao Chi'en when she visits him in "Joaquin"?
6. Why does Agustin eventually allow Paulina to have a public wedding?
7. Does Joaquin feel bad about stealing from the importing company?
8. What does Rose Sommers think about Joaquin at first, and then upon a second look?
9. How does fate intervene for Eliza at the end of "The News"?
10. What advice does Feliciano give the people from the boat about life in the new country?
Essay Topic 1
Tao Chi'en is mentioned as far back as the first chapter, but he is not included in the plot until the eighth chapter. What reason would Allende have for mentioning his name several times in the narrative early on? Is it surprising when he is officially introduced?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the characters in the novel break out from their traditional or expected roles. Choose two characters who have done this and compare and contrast their situations. Does rebelling against society's norms help or hurt them?
Essay Topic 3
Eliza has two clashing worlds influencing her as she grows up: the world of proper English people and the world of Chilean poverty. Which lifestyle does she seem to enjoy more? How does each lifestyle shape the woman she grows up to be? Use specific examples.
This section contains 1,479 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)