|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Karl described as looking like?
2. Who hires John as the captain of a steamship?
3. What does Rose ask two maids to do for Eliza?
4. When do Eliza and Joaquin kiss for the first time?
5. Why does a chaplain arrive in Valparaiso?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jacob do to become a celebrity?
2. Describe Jacob Todd's living situation as he settles into Chile.
3. How does Paulina's business venture differ from those of other people who plan to make money off of trade to California?
4. In what manner does Rose raise Eliza?
5. Why does Agustin eventually allow Paulina to have a public wedding?
6. Why is Tao Chi'en treated decently by his first owner?
7. Describe some of Joaquin's views on a perfect society.
8. Why does Michael storm out of the Sommers' home never to return?
9. Does Joaquin feel bad about stealing from the importing company?
10. Why don't Rose Sommers and Mama Fresia try to stop Eliza from delivering her letter to Joaquin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John and Jeremy are brothers who are both major influences in the lives of Eliza and Rose, and they bump heads quite a bit. How are they alike and how are they different? Which brother is better suited to be a father figure to Eliza and even Rose?
Essay Topic 2
What function does Paulina play in the plot? What themes are portrayed through her character? How is she similar or different than the other female characters?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, characters often do favors for each other, and most of these characters are reciprocated in some way for their generosity, either by the person they helped or some other person or force. Choose three instances where favors are done and explain how these favors are repaid. What do you think Allende is saying about favors and payback?
This section contains 1,421 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)