Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jeremy's brother's job?
2. Why does Paulina's father disapprove of her lover?
3. How old is the man that Rose introduces to Eliza?
4. What does Eliza think Joaquin's name is?
5. How does Tao Chi'en's sister die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mama Fresia find out that Eliza is seeing Joaquin?
2. What does Tao Chi'en learn about happiness from his second owner, the zhong yi?
3. In what way is Rose's father more similar to her than to his sons?
4. How does Paulina's business venture differ from those of other people who plan to make money off of trade to California?
5. How does fate intervene for Eliza at the end of "The News"?
6. What does Jacob do to become a celebrity?
7. How does Rose feel about Eliza spending a lot of time in the kitchen?
8. Why don't Rose Sommers and Mama Fresia try to stop Eliza from delivering her letter to Joaquin?
9. Why has Rose never been married?
10. Why do the townspeople come to Joe's aid when her barn burns down?
Essay Topic 1
The sage's theory is that happiness comes from serving others. If this idea is accurate, which characters in the story should be the happiest? Do they seem happy? Which characters seem the least happy? Use examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
We see unrequited love a lot in this novel. Describe three instances of unrequited love and explain how they relate to the novel as a whole. How do they shape the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Rose and Tao Chi'en both have chapters dedicated to telling their back stories. Why is it important to include background information on these characters? Why would Allende not tell the story in chronological order?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)