|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much time goes by before Rose realizes Eliza is missing?
(a) A month.
(b) A week.
(c) An hour.
(d) A day.
2. When Tao Chi'en and Eliza arrive in California, what does he suggest she look for?
(a) A goldmine.
(b) The Chilean barrio.
(c) The Chinese barrio.
(d) Her Uncle John.
3. What name does Eliza go by as a boy?
4. After hearing about the success of Paulina's shipping line, other people, mentioned specifically in the novel, have tried to duplicate it by shipping what?
(a) Pottery from China.
(b) Potatoes from Ireland.
(c) Coconuts from Hawaii.
(d) Ice from Alaska.
5. What year is it when "Joaquin" begins?
Short Answer Questions
1. What item reveals Eliza's parentage?
2. What illness is sweeping the town where the brothel resides for the winter?
3. Why is no effort made to revive Tao Chi'en's dead baby?
4. What color is the scarf Tao Chi'en's wife is wearing when she meets him?
5. Who does Tao Chi'en get to help Eliza?
This section contains 199 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)