|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Eliza follow someone to when she is looking for a way onto the boat?
(a) Into a stranger's home.
(b) Into a roadside shrine.
(c) Into a bar.
(d) Into the ship's kitchen.
2. In which Chilean city do Jeremy and Rose live?
(b) Vina del Mar.
3. Why does Jacob decide to help Paulina?
(a) She threatens to tell his secret.
(b) Her happy nature reminds him of Rose.
(c) She pays him.
(d) He is in love with her.
4. Who is responsible for separating Rose and Karl?
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
5. How many children does Karl have?
6. When do Eliza and Joaquin kiss for the first time?
(a) On their second meeting.
(b) On their fourth meeting.
(c) On their fifth meeting.
(d) On their first meeting.
7. Why does Eliza choose Wednesday to meet Joaquin?
(a) Rose is hosting a dance.
(b) Eliza is supposed to be at a friend's house that night.
(c) Rose will be at a friend's house.
(d) Everyone is at church.
8. Why does a chaplain arrive in Valparaiso?
(a) To investigate Jacob's missionary work.
(b) To woo Rose Sommers.
(c) To ask a favor of Jeremy.
(d) To open a new Catholic Church.
9. Who does Eliza follow when she is looking for a way onto the boat?
(a) Her mother.
(b) A loose woman.
(c) A ship captain.
(d) A priest.
10. What does Jeremy find in his bottle of brandy?
(d) A dead lizard.
11. How old is the man that Rose introduces to Eliza?
12. Who sends Eliza and Mama Fresia to administer healing methods?
13. What does Joaquin steal to sell in order to make money for his journey?
14. What month is it when Eliza first sees Joaquin?
15. How do the surgeons try to heal Jacob when he is ill?
(a) They give him an elixer.
(b) They do nothing and hope it will pass.
(c) They bleed him.
(d) They give him an ice bath.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the name Tao mean?
2. Where does Eliza first see Joaquin?
3. What is the name of the place where Jacob goes to have a drink?
4. What is Jacob's last name?
5. Who continues to visit Jacob after his public shame?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)