|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tao Chi'en's sister die?
(a) She is murdered by debt collectors.
(b) She drowns in the bath.
(c) She cuts herself badly with a knife.
(d) She pulls a pot of boiling water on herself.
2. Who says: "You owe me satisfaction"?
(c) Rose's aunt.
3. Why isn't Eliza worried about being caught with Joaquin in the house?
(a) She drugs Rose and Jeremy.
(b) Rose and Jeremy are away on business.
(c) Rose and Jeremy are heavy sleepers.
(d) Rose and Jeremy don't mind if she has her friend over.
4. What business venture does Paulina want to make?
(a) She wants to open a hotel near the goldmines.
(b) She wants to buy a goldmine.
(c) She wants to buy and sell houses.
(d) She wants to sell supplies to goldminers.
5. Why does Jacob decide to help Paulina?
(a) He is in love with her.
(b) She threatens to tell his secret.
(c) She pays him.
(d) Her happy nature reminds him of Rose.
6. What does the name Tao mean?
7. How often does Rose take the items from Eliza's dowry out to protect them from humidity and moths?
(a) Twice a year.
(b) Once a year.
(c) Every other week.
(d) Every three months.
8. What color is Jacob's hair?
9. How often do Eliza and Joaquin meet?
(a) Every morning.
(b) Once a month.
(c) Every evening.
(d) Once a week.
10. Why does a chaplain arrive in Valparaiso?
(a) To investigate Jacob's missionary work.
(b) To woo Rose Sommers.
(c) To ask a favor of Jeremy.
(d) To open a new Catholic Church.
11. How does Eliza board the ship?
(a) She pretends to be a worker.
(b) She pretends to be a prostitute.
(c) She begs the sea captian.
(d) She is stuffed into a bag and brought on as cargo.
12. What profession does Joaquin pursue at the age of fourteen?
(b) Law enforcement.
13. What does Eliza offer to Joaquin when he makes a delivery to her house?
(c) An orange.
14. What is the name of the woman who works for Jeremy and Rose?
(a) Mama Javiera.
(b) Mama Catalina.
(c) Mama Fresia.
(d) Mama Lucia.
15. Tao Chi'en goes to work for whom?
(a) A physician.
(b) A sea captain.
(c) A madam.
(d) An emperor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tao Chi'en get separated from his family?
2. What year is it when Rose and Jeremy arrive in Chile?
3. How does Eliza come to live with Jeremy and Rose?
4. What illness does Tao's master have?
5. How old is the man that Rose introduces to Eliza?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)