* A baby, Eliza, is left on the doorstep of Rose and Jeremy Sommers in Valparaiso, Chile.
* Rose and her brother, Jeremy, decide to raise the baby.
* As a child, Eliza spends much time with the maid, Mama Fresia, in the kitchen.
* John Sommers, a sea captain, sails to Chile with Jacob Todd on his ship.
* Jacob is mistaken for a missionary but is really selling Bibles.
* Jacob falls for Rose, but she does not have any interest in settling down with a man.
* Jacob becomes very ill, but is cured.
* Jacob stays in Chile to pursue Rose.
* Rose makes Eliza take lessons in culture and wants her to go to a finishing school, but Jeremy disapproves.
* Rose and John start a dowry for Eliza.
* Paulina falls in love with a wealthy miner named Feliciano.
* Paulina is sent to a convent but escapes with help...
This section contains 1,425 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)