|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does the Lady Paton send a letter to in Chapter 8?
2. What refers to a member of a Rajput people, Hindu in religion, who achieved dominion over Nepal in the 18th century?
3. The spouse of the person who bought Pempa holds what position?
4. What palace does Momo's driver drive her to in Chapter 8?
5. What name refers to a member of a monotheistic religion, founded in the Punjab by the guru Nanak, that refuses to recognize the Hindu caste system or the Brahmanical priesthood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does Momo meet at the beginning of Chapter 6? What does he ask Momo?
2. How is the balance of adventure and fortune in Momo's life portrayed in Chapter 6?
3. When does Wing Fong say the Lady had first requested a Lhasa Terrier? How much did she offer?
4. Who loses patience with Momo in Chapter 8? What does Momo do?
5. What obstacles does Momo encounter in entering the palace in Chapter 8?
6. What does Momo learn about the British gentleman from Big Dorje?
7. How does Tsu Foo assist Momo? What is her story?
8. Where is Momo traveling in Chapter 8? Who is with her?
9. Where is Momo at the beginning of Chapter 5?
10. What power does Lat Sahib hold in Tibet? How does Big Dorje feel about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of determination and will in Daughter of the Mountain. How does theme differ from subject in a literary work? How is the theme of determination embodied in the text?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the locations, cultures, and people of Sedonchin and Lingtam. What conflicts does Momo face in Lingtam? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the origins and history of Tibetan Buddhism and its role in Daughter of the Mountains. How is the theme of religion exemplified in the novel?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)