|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the woman of the house?
2. The spouse of the person who bought Pempa holds what position?
3. What powerful river does Gopal show Momo?
4. Which of the guards loses his patience with Momo in Chapter 8?
5. What is the name of Wing Fong's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What power does Lat Sahib hold in Tibet? How does Big Dorje feel about him?
2. How does Tsu Foo assist Momo? What is her story?
3. What does Momo think of her surroundings during her first stop in Chapter 6? What does she see there?
4. What details do Wing Fong's children wrestle from him in Chapter 7?
5. Where does Momo go after escaping the house of Rhenok? What does she see there?
6. What does Momo find in the trading shop of Wing Fong? What does she learn of Pempa from him?
7. Where is Momo in the beginning of Chapter 7? Where does she go for help?
8. What does Momo marvel at in Kapimpong? Who does she hope to find there?
9. What does the British gentleman give Momo in Chapter 6?
10. When does Wing Fong say the Lady had first requested a Lhasa Terrier? How much did she offer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of symbolism, metaphor and simile in the narrative. How is Momo's entrapment in Chapter 4 symbolic? How does it relate to the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the origins and history of Tibetan Buddhism and its role in Daughter of the Mountains. How is the theme of religion exemplified in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of determination and will in Daughter of the Mountain. How does theme differ from subject in a literary work? How is the theme of determination embodied in the text?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)