|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name refers to a member of a monotheistic religion, founded in the Punjab by the guru Nanak, that refuses to recognize the Hindu caste system or the Brahmanical priesthood?
2. Whom does the Lady Paton ask Lat Sahib to give the orphan girl to for a job in Chapter 8?
3. How is the train which Momo boards along with the ten traders described?
4. Where is the train which Momo boards with the ten traders headed?
5. Momo is amazed that the people in Kalimpong can carry bags like which animal in Tibet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Wing Fong's children. What do they think of Momo?
2. When does Wing Fong say the Lady had first requested a Lhasa Terrier? How much did she offer?
3. What does Momo marvel at in Kapimpong? Who does she hope to find there?
4. What does the British gentleman give Momo in Chapter 6?
5. How does Momo escape enslavement in Chapter 5?
6. Where is Momo in the beginning of Chapter 7? Where does she go for help?
7. What happens when Momo finds Big Dorje in Chapter 5?
8. What happens to Momo after departing the train in Calcutta?
9. What does Momo think of her surroundings during her first stop in Chapter 6? What does she see there?
10. What does Lady Paton say of Pempa after hearing Momo's story? What letter does she send?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the location of the giant staircase and the border from Tibet into India. How big was Kalimpong during this time? How steep are the mountains that Momo descends?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the origins and history of Tibetan Buddhism and its role in Daughter of the Mountains. How is the theme of religion exemplified in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the cultural, linguistic, and ethnic differences that Momo encounters along her journey into India. What language barriers does Momo face outside of Tibet?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)