|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the merchant Momo encounters?
2. What is the third of the three vehicles of Buddhism?
3. A community member tells Momo that one of the men from ___________ stole Pempa.
4. Whom does Momo go with to meet the tradesmen of the mule caravan in Chapter 1?
5. Where did Momo first see the kind of dog she wanted?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does Momo run into while trying to escape in Chapter 3? What does she do?
2. What elements of Momo's character maintain her focus along the journey? How is this shown in Chapters 3 and 4?
3. How is the village of Gnatong described in the narrative?
4. Who comes to Momo's house after the monsoon?
5. Describe Momo's community and their religious beliefs. What does Momo understand of Buddha?
6. Where do Big Dorje and the traders take Momo in Chapter 4? What advice do they give her?
7. How does Momo go about naming Pempa? What fortune is foretold at his naming?
8. What incident takes place as Momo passes through Lingtam? Why is Momo followed?
9. What advice does Little Dorje give Momo in Chapter 4? Where does she go next?
10. How does Momo get by along her journey? What suggestion is made by many whom Momo passes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What credibility did astrologers have in Momo's village and within her community? What role does astrology and superstition play in Tibetan Buddhist beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the city of Kalimpong and Momo's impressions of it. How populated was the city during the time in which the novel is set? How does it differ from Momo's native Tibet?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Dolma in the narrative. How did Momo come to the house of Rhenok? Why is Dolma holding Momo captive?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)