|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A community member tells Momo that one of the men from ___________ stole Pempa.
2. The terrain Big Dorje takes Momo through grows increasingly ________.
3. Whom do the traders and the family they stay with know?
4. What term refers to a particular form or stage of civilization, as that of a certain nation or period?
5. What do the traders decide to do with Momo in in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the villagers angry with Momo in Chapter 4?
2. What obstacles does Momo encounter in entering the palace in Chapter 8?
3. What does Momo think of her new surroundings and people in Chapter 3?
4. How does Lady Paton respond to Momo's story in Chapter 8?
5. Where did Momo first see a Lhasa Terrier? Why did her family not buy her one?
6. Who is potentially in Kapup when Momo arrives? Why does she want to hide from this person?
7. Where is Momo in the beginning of Chapter 7? Where does she go for help?
8. What elements of Momo's character maintain her focus along the journey? How is this shown in Chapters 3 and 4?
9. How does Tsu Foo assist Momo? What is her story?
10. How are Chapters 3 and 4 structurally developed in the novel? What elements stand out?
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the city of Kalimpong and Momo's impressions of it. How populated was the city during the time in which the novel is set? How does it differ from Momo's native Tibet?
Essay Topic 2
What credibility did astrologers have in Momo's village and within her community? What role does astrology and superstition play in Tibetan Buddhist beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting at the beginning of Daughter of the Mountains. What is the name of Momo's village? How big is it? What time does the story take place in?
This section contains 1,361 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)