|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Momo wake up in Chapter 3?
2. Whom does Momo understand as the one who taught love and kindness and helped the people to scare away the demons that plagued them?
3. What region does Momo enter after passing around the mountain on her way to Calcutta?
4. The name Pempa refers to the full moon and __________.
5. According to Little Dorje, who might take Momo to Kalimpong?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Little Dorje give Momo in Chapter 4? Where does she go next?
2. What does Momo learn in Lingtu? Where does her journey extend after Lingtu?
3. What does Momo's mother tell the tradesmen in Chapter 1? What is their response?
4. Who comes to Momo's house after the monsoon?
5. Where does Momo discover the traders are headed with Pempa in Chapter 2? What does she decide to do?
6. Whom does Momo harass about wanting a dog in Chapter 1, The Gift of a Red-Gold Lhasa Terrier? What prayers does she say?
7. How are Chapters 3 and 4 structurally developed in the novel? What elements stand out?
8. What exposition is revealed in the beginning of Chapter 2? When does it take place?
9. How does Momo get by along her journey? What suggestion is made by many whom Momo passes?
10. What does Momo think of her new surroundings and people in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of symbolism, metaphor and simile in the narrative. How is Momo's entrapment in Chapter 4 symbolic? How does it relate to the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the cultural, linguistic, and ethnic differences that Momo encounters along her journey into India. What language barriers does Momo face outside of Tibet?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the location and history of Gnatong. What led many men to die there? How does the narrator describe the area in the text?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)