|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the major city which Momo passes through on her way to Calcutta?
2. Where do the traders take Momo for a night in Chapter 4?
3. What term refers to that which is of or belonging to language?
4. According to the boy, who was going to buy Pempa?
5. Where is Momo's father likely to be on a trade mission in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Momo wake up at the beginning of Chapter 3? What route does she begin descending?
2. What do Chapters 3 and 4 reveal about Momo's character? What is her greatest obstacle?
3. What does Momo's mother tell the tradesmen in Chapter 1? What is their response?
4. Where is Momo traveling in Chapter 3? What does she hope to find there?
5. How does Momo go about naming Pempa? What fortune is foretold at his naming?
6. What does Momo learn in Lingtu? Where does her journey extend after Lingtu?
7. What elements of Momo's character maintain her focus along the journey? How is this shown in Chapters 3 and 4?
8. How is the village of Gnatong described in the narrative?
9. From where were Momo's theological beliefs inherited? How does Momo view God?
10. Why are the villagers angry with Momo in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Dolma in the narrative. How did Momo come to the house of Rhenok? Why is Dolma holding Momo captive?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Momo as the protagonist of the novel. What characteristics does Momo embody? How does she fit in with her community? How old is Momo in the beginning of the book?
Essay Topic 3
What credibility did astrologers have in Momo's village and within her community? What role does astrology and superstition play in Tibetan Buddhist beliefs?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)