|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who captures Momo in Chapter 3?
2. What event happened before the mule caravan of tradesmen enter Momo's village?
3. What is the name of the merchant Momo encounters?
4. What does Momo call the series of rocks and paths that lead down into India from the mountains?
5. In Chapter 4, the villagers are angry at Momo because they think she stole ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is potentially in Kapup when Momo arrives? Why does she want to hide from this person?
2. What does Momo do at age eight to get the Buddha's attention to her prayers? What do the priests tell Momo?
3. What does Momo learn in Lingtu? Where does her journey extend after Lingtu?
4. What does Momo's mother tell the tradesmen in Chapter 1? What is their response?
5. How does Momo go about naming Pempa? What fortune is foretold at his naming?
6. How are Chapters 3 and 4 structurally developed in the novel? What elements stand out?
7. What advice does Little Dorje give Momo in Chapter 4? Where does she go next?
8. Why are the villagers angry with Momo in Chapter 4?
9. What incident takes place as Momo passes through Lingtam? Why is Momo followed?
10. Why do the traders tell Momo she won't succeed? How does Momo respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the location and history of Gnatong. What led many men to die there? How does the narrator describe the area in the text?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Dolma in the narrative. How did Momo come to the house of Rhenok? Why is Dolma holding Momo captive?
Essay Topic 3
What credibility did astrologers have in Momo's village and within her community? What role does astrology and superstition play in Tibetan Buddhist beliefs?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)