|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Little Dorje tell Momo she should do in Chapter 4?
2. What river does Kalimpong overlook?
3. What do many of the women whom Momo encounters on her journey tell her to do?
4. Who makes fun of Momo in Lingtam?
5. What powerful prayer does Momo pray for the Buddha to grant her a dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Momo feel at nightfall in Chapter 2? What happens at the end of the chapter?
2. What advice does Little Dorje give Momo in Chapter 4? Where does she go next?
3. Where do Big Dorje and the traders take Momo in Chapter 4? What advice do they give her?
4. How are Chapters 3 and 4 structurally developed in the novel? What elements stand out?
5. Where is Momo traveling in Chapter 3? What does she hope to find there?
6. How is the village of Gnatong described in the narrative?
7. Describe Momo's community and their religious beliefs. What does Momo understand of Buddha?
8. From where were Momo's theological beliefs inherited? How does Momo view God?
9. Why do the traders tell Momo she won't succeed? How does Momo respond?
10. What exposition is revealed in the beginning of Chapter 2? When does it take place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the cultural, linguistic, and ethnic differences that Momo encounters along her journey into India. What language barriers does Momo face outside of Tibet?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the location and history of Gnatong. What led many men to die there? How does the narrator describe the area in the text?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting at the beginning of Daughter of the Mountains. What is the name of Momo's village? How big is it? What time does the story take place in?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)