|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the vehicle ridden most often by Momo in the novel?
2. Where does Momo first encounter dark-skinned Indians and women in saris?
3. What term refers to a particular form or stage of civilization, as that of a certain nation or period?
4. What causes Momo to lose track of Pempa in Chapter 2?
5. Where does Momo travel after leaving the village on Lingtu in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the village of Gnatong described in the narrative?
2. What does Momo think of her new surroundings and people in Chapter 3?
3. What advice does Little Dorje give Momo in Chapter 4? Where does she go next?
4. Where does Momo wake up at the beginning of Chapter 3? What route does she begin descending?
5. How are Chapters 3 and 4 structurally developed in the novel? What elements stand out?
6. How does Momo feel at nightfall in Chapter 2? What happens at the end of the chapter?
7. Who comes to Momo's house after the monsoon?
8. Where do Big Dorje and the traders take Momo in Chapter 4? What advice do they give her?
9. Whom does Momo run into while trying to escape in Chapter 3? What does she do?
10. Whom does Momo harass about wanting a dog in Chapter 1, The Gift of a Red-Gold Lhasa Terrier? What prayers does she say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Momo and Tsu Foo. What similarities do the girls share? What differences? How do they each help one another in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and compare the characters of Tulsi, Little Dorje, and Big Dorje in the narrative. How do Big Dorje and Little Dorje differ in their approach to Momo?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the origins and history of Tibetan Buddhism and its role in Daughter of the Mountains. How is the theme of religion exemplified in the novel?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)