|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the third of the three vehicles of Buddhism?
2. Of what faith is Momo and her family?
3. Whom does Momo go with to meet the tradesmen of the mule caravan in Chapter 1?
4. What boy comes to Momo's aid in Chapter 4?
5. From where does the train for Calcutta leave in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Momo initially depart on her journey in Chapter 2? What does she pass through?
2. Who is potentially in Kapup when Momo arrives? Why does she want to hide from this person?
3. How does Momo go about naming Pempa? What fortune is foretold at his naming?
4. From where were Momo's theological beliefs inherited? How does Momo view God?
5. Who arrives at Momo's house in Chapter 2? What happens when they leave?
6. Who do the traders know? What do they decide to do with Momo?
7. What do Chapters 3 and 4 reveal about Momo's character? What is her greatest obstacle?
8. Describe Momo's community and their religious beliefs. What does Momo understand of Buddha?
9. What does Momo learn in Lingtu? Where does her journey extend after Lingtu?
10. How is the village of Gnatong described in the narrative?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the location and history of Gnatong. What led many men to die there? How does the narrator describe the area in the text?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the traders in Chapter 4. What influence do they have on the protagonist's decision to move forward?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Momo's theological faith and how it compares and contrasts the beliefs of Momo's mother and father. How do Momo's mother and father differ in their view of God?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)