|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Kalimpong located?
2. A community member tells Momo that one of the men from ___________ stole Pempa.
3. According to the boy, where is the train heading with Pempa?
4. What minor goddess does Momo wail for in Chapter 2?
5. In Chapter 4, why do the traders tell Momo she will never get to Calcutta?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Momo feel at nightfall in Chapter 2? What happens at the end of the chapter?
2. How does Momo get by along her journey? What suggestion is made by many whom Momo passes?
3. Where did Momo first see a Lhasa Terrier? Why did her family not buy her one?
4. What does the British gentleman give Momo in Chapter 6?
5. What does Momo do at age eight to get the Buddha's attention to her prayers? What do the priests tell Momo?
6. Where is Momo traveling in Chapter 3? What does she hope to find there?
7. How does Momo escape enslavement in Chapter 5?
8. What boy assists Momo in Chapter 4? What news does he relate of Pempa?
9. Whom does Momo meet at the beginning of Chapter 6? What does he ask Momo?
10. Who loses patience with Momo in Chapter 8? What does Momo do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and compare the characters of Tulsi, Little Dorje, and Big Dorje in the narrative. How do Big Dorje and Little Dorje differ in their approach to Momo?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of determination and will in Daughter of the Mountain. How does theme differ from subject in a literary work? How is the theme of determination embodied in the text?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's use of symbolism, metaphor and simile in the narrative. How is Momo's entrapment in Chapter 4 symbolic? How does it relate to the novel's themes?
This section contains 1,293 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)