|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the small theocratic nation of which Momo is a citizen?
2. Where does the giant staircase end in Chapter 3?
3. Where does Momo travel after leaving the village on Lingtu in Chapter 3?
4. Why do the tradesmen on the mule caravan often stop in Momo's village?
5. What kind of Lhasa Terrier has Momo been set on having since her childhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Chapters 3 and 4 structurally developed in the novel? What elements stand out?
2. What does Momo's mother tell the tradesmen in Chapter 1? What is their response?
3. Why do the traders tell Momo she won't succeed? How does Momo respond?
4. Where is Momo traveling in Chapter 3? What does she hope to find there?
5. Describe Momo's community and their religious beliefs. What does Momo understand of Buddha?
6. How is the village of Gnatong described in the narrative?
7. What incident takes place as Momo passes through Lingtam? Why is Momo followed?
8. How does Momo get by along her journey? What suggestion is made by many whom Momo passes?
9. Why are the villagers angry with Momo in Chapter 4?
10. What advice does Little Dorje give Momo in Chapter 4? Where does she go next?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and compare the characters of Tulsi, Little Dorje, and Big Dorje in the narrative. How do Big Dorje and Little Dorje differ in their approach to Momo?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the city of Kalimpong and Momo's impressions of it. How populated was the city during the time in which the novel is set? How does it differ from Momo's native Tibet?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's use of symbolism, metaphor and simile in the narrative. How is Momo's entrapment in Chapter 4 symbolic? How does it relate to the novel's themes?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)