|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What festival does Momo attend with her family in Chapter 1?
2. What is the name of the path Momo sets out on in Chapter 2?
3. The name Pempa refers to the full moon and __________.
4. What is Momo's father's profession?
5. Momo discovers that the train will stop at what city on its way to Kalimpong?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Chapters 3 and 4 structurally developed in the novel? What elements stand out?
2. What boy assists Momo in Chapter 4? What news does he relate of Pempa?
3. How does Momo get by along her journey? What suggestion is made by many whom Momo passes?
4. Who is potentially in Kapup when Momo arrives? Why does she want to hide from this person?
5. What does Momo's mother tell the tradesmen in Chapter 1? What is their response?
6. How does Momo go about naming Pempa? What fortune is foretold at his naming?
7. Where does Chapter 1, The Gift of a Red-Gold Lhasa Terrier begin? In what voice is the narrative?
8. How does Momo feel at nightfall in Chapter 2? What happens at the end of the chapter?
9. What elements of Momo's character maintain her focus along the journey? How is this shown in Chapters 3 and 4?
10. Where do Big Dorje and the traders take Momo in Chapter 4? What advice do they give her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the traders in Chapter 4. What influence do they have on the protagonist's decision to move forward?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's use of symbolism, metaphor and simile in the narrative. How is Momo's entrapment in Chapter 4 symbolic? How does it relate to the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Dolma in the narrative. How did Momo come to the house of Rhenok? Why is Dolma holding Momo captive?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)