|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Momo understand as the one who taught love and kindness and helped the people to scare away the demons that plagued them?
2. What is the small theocratic nation of which Momo is a citizen?
3. Who is the astrologer Momo asks about naming her dog?
4. Who is with Big Dorje when Momo finds him?
5. The name Pempa refers to the full moon and __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Chapters 3 and 4 structurally developed in the novel? What elements stand out?
2. What does Momo think of her new surroundings and people in Chapter 3?
3. How does Momo feel at nightfall in Chapter 2? What happens at the end of the chapter?
4. What does Momo learn in Lingtu? Where does her journey extend after Lingtu?
5. What do Chapters 3 and 4 reveal about Momo's character? What is her greatest obstacle?
6. From where were Momo's theological beliefs inherited? How does Momo view God?
7. Who is potentially in Kapup when Momo arrives? Why does she want to hide from this person?
8. How is the village of Gnatong described in the narrative?
9. What exposition is revealed in the beginning of Chapter 2? When does it take place?
10. How does Momo get by along her journey? What suggestion is made by many whom Momo passes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the location and history of Gnatong. What led many men to die there? How does the narrator describe the area in the text?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Dolma in the narrative. How did Momo come to the house of Rhenok? Why is Dolma holding Momo captive?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the origins and history of Tibetan Buddhism and its role in Daughter of the Mountains. How is the theme of religion exemplified in the novel?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)