|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Richard want more information about while at Harrowfield?
2. What is the name of the man who saves Sorcha from drowning?
3. Which direction must Red travel to find Simon?
4. What is the name of Margery's husband?
5. Who makes it possible for Sorcha to complete the last shirt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Sorcha to pass out during her trial?
2. Why does Sorcha agree to marry Red?
3. Why does Richard want to know more about Sorcha?
4. Why does Sorcha think Red is working so hard to protect her?
5. What good news does Red bring to Sorcha?
6. What makes Sorcha so uncomfortable around Richard?
7. Why does Sorcha not defend herself during the trial?
8. What future does Sorcha see in a vision?
9. Why is Ben so hesitant to welcome Sorcha?
10. What happens when Sorcha tries on the dress Margery made for her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Sorcha almost killed, and what is proven about her during this harrowing experience?
Essay Topic 2
Despair is a theme that is placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this play? Are the characters able to overcome despair? If they do, how? If they do not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
Overcoming prejudice was a very important theme in this book. Where does this theme appear, and how does Marillier present the theme in a dynamic way?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)