|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sorcha think is responsible for what happened to Eilis on Colum's wedding day?
2. What kind of pursuits is Sorcha told to study around her new mother?
3. What does Father Brien say about the woman Colum plans to marry?
4. How does Sorcha feel around the woman her father plans to marry?
5. Who buries Linn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What counsel is Sorcha given after the ceremony?
2. What happens after the ceremony?
3. What is unique about Finbar?
4. What do Sorcha's brothers do when they realize Sorchas has been attacked?
5. What is unique about Padriac?
6. How does Sorcha feel when her oldest brother gets engaged?
7. After the ceremony, what does Sorcha find in a cave?
8. Who helps the prisoner, and why?
9. How does Finbar especially help Sorcha after her attack?
10. What causes Sorcha and her brothers to do a ceremony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do the instances of gratitude affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Overcoming prejudice was a very important theme in this book. Where does this theme appear, and how does Marillier present the theme in a dynamic way?
Essay Topic 3
Sorcha endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)