|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Conor been chosen to become?
2. How do Sorcha's brothers feel around the woman their father plans to marry?
3. In what season does Mean Sumhraidh take place?
4. What kind of pursuits is Sorcha told to study around her new mother?
5. What happens to Eilis on the day of Colum's wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What counsel is Sorcha given after the ceremony?
2. What exciting news of Conor does Father Brien tell ?
3. How does Sorcha describe Finbar, Padriac, and Conor at the beginning of the book?
4. What is unique about Padriac?
5. Who does Sorcha rely heavily on in this book, and why?
6. When will Sorcha be able to see her brothers after the spell is placed upon them?
7. What does Sorcha say is the hardest part of their brothers' curse?
8. How does Finbar especially help Sorcha after her attack?
9. When does Sorcha realize her mistake in not keeping her location more secret?
10. After the ceremony, what does Sorcha find in a cave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Overcoming prejudice was a very important theme in this book. Where does this theme appear, and how does Marillier present the theme in a dynamic way?
Essay Topic 2
This plot takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Marillier have chosen these particular places for a specific plot point to take place?
Essay Topic 3
What are the requirements to overcome the curse, and how do these affect Sorcha?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)