|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9 and 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two things does Styron believe led to his depression?
(a) His physical illness and his anxiety.
(b) His wife's infidelity and the loss of his job.
(c) His mother's death and a hereditary factor through his father.
(d) Chemical dependence and illness.
2. Who is the doctor from Johns Hopkins who gave the name depression to the disease?
(a) Dr. Gold.
(b) An unnamed psychiatrist.
(c) Dr. Adolf Meier.
(d) Dr. Adkins.
3. What does Styron say about not returning to France?
(a) He believes one day in the near future he will take his own life.
(b) It cost so much to go and he was nearly broke.
(c) He doesn't like to travel.
(d) He had such a miserable time in Paris.
4. What sort of people does Styron say is more prone to depression?
(a) People with above average intelligence.
(b) People who have lost loved ones.
(c) Poor people.
(d) Artistic people.
5. Where did Styron meet Hoffman?
(a) He had never really met him, only talked to him.
(b) At a democratic convention.
(c) At the del Duco award dinner.
(d) At a writer's conference.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens before Styron meets with Camus?
2. What does Styron say depression is like?
3. What does Styron's psychiatrist do that sends him into a deep depression?
4. Where does Styron spend his summers?
5. How long does Styron have to stay in the hospital?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)