|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did alcohol do for Styron that he considered positive?
(a) It helped him relax with his friends.
(b) It kept him from catching illnesses.
(c) It kept anxiety and his imaginings at bay.
(d) It made him feel high.
2. Where did Styron meet Hoffman?
(a) At the del Duco award dinner.
(b) He had never really met him, only talked to him.
(c) At a democratic convention.
(d) At a writer's conference.
3. What bothers Styron so much about not being able to meet Camus?
(a) It meant he had to go to his luncheon with Lady del Duco.
(b) It meant there was another suicide in his circle of friends.
(c) Because it meant he barely missed getting to meet the man whose writing he so admired.
(d) It meant Camus couldn't hear about winning the award.
4. Who is the doctor from Johns Hopkins who gave the name depression to the disease?
(a) Dr. Adolf Meier.
(b) An unnamed psychiatrist.
(c) Dr. Adkins.
(d) Dr. Gold.
5. What philosophical question does Gary present as central to all philosophy; a question that confuses Styron until years later when he suffers his depression?
(a) Does man depend on other men?
(b) Why does life have hardships?
(c) Are all suicides due to weak character?
(d) Is life worth living?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Styron not worried about the loss?
2. What does Styron say he will do with the prize money he won?
3. What three factors does Styron name as contributing to depression?
4. What symptoms did Jarrell suffer from that caused Styron to believe in Jarrell's suicide?
5. Which novel character does Styron compare himself with?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)