|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a probable reason that Styron's doctor or family don't suggest hospitalization for him?
(a) They don't know he was that bad.
(b) The social stigma and the fact that mental illness is not tangible or visible.
(c) They don't think it would help him.
(d) He gets angry whenever they approach the subject.
2. Who is the doctor from Johns Hopkins who gave the name depression to the disease?
(a) Dr. Adolf Meier.
(b) An unnamed psychiatrist.
(c) Dr. Adkins.
(d) Dr. Gold.
3. Which group of people does depression never happen to?
(a) None are excluded; it attacks all groups.
(b) Mothers who enjoy their role.
(c) People younger than their teens.
(d) Older people who have gotten a grasp on life.
4. What quote from Baudelaire does Styron use to explain his feelings?
(a) "Man's madness is his downfall."
(b) "I have felt the wind of the wing of madness."
(c) "Madness breeds madness."
(d) "Madness is but a figment of the imagination."
5. Which group of people have more incidence of depression than all others?
(a) Poor people.
(b) Women suffer more than any other group of people.
(d) Rich people.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Camus's essay influence Stryon's philosophy of life?
2. Styron agrees with what literary guide's belief?
3. When is depression at its worst?
4. What does Styron say about assigning reasons for suicide to those who take that route?
5. How does Styron explain his approach to his self-destruction?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)