|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the newspaper say is the type of evidence against Rubashov?
2. What does Rubashov say every government measure represents?
3. What does Rubashov know would stop the hearings?
4. Who does the reader sign up to marry three weeks ago?
5. From where does Rubashov’s new exercise partner come?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reactionary peasant do to end up in prison?
2. Why is Rubashov confused after he hands over his confession?
3. What does Wassilij say to his daughter about Rubashov’s speech?
4. With whom does Gletkin confront Rubashov and with what charge?
5. For what reason does Rubashov think the regime is attempting to get rid of the old guard?
6. What does Rubashov say some of his ideas could cause?
7. What does the prisoner in 402 tell Rubashov to do before they come for Rubashov and how long does 402 have to remain in prison? What are 402’s last words to Rubashov?
8. How does Rubashov respond to Hare-lip’s accusations?
9. When Rubashov begins to address the court, what does he say he will talk about?
10. What does Rubashov feel about the grammatical fiction and the USSR right before he is taken to be killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Second Hearing, Rubashov writes of an agriculturist who was killed because he believed nitrate artificial fertilizer was superior to potash.
Discuss how Rubashov relates the above to the communist government’s tendency at that time to kill anyone who disagrees with the government about any subject and how Rubashov believes only the future will know who is right. Use examples from Darkness at Noon to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about what they know. Sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Arthur Koestler. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Koestler's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Koestler's probable agenda concerning that idea.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes Darkness at Noon interesting. Discuss the following:
Thoroughly discuss and analyze Rubashov. What are his strengths and weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he usually likable? Seldom likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas. Use the same criteria to thoroughly discuss and analyze No. 402 and Gletkin.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)