|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Rubashov think the games are played too well in the Trade delegation?
2. What color blouses did Arlova always wear?
3. What was the last position Ivanov held in the military when he was over Rubashov?
4. To whom is Richard’s sister-in-law married?
5. What does the agriculturist who is killed believe is the best fertilizer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Rubashov the first time he is imprisoned?
2. What does Rubashov daydream about on his seventh day in prison?
3. What is Rubashov’s flashback about after he is told he will get no breakfast?
4. What does Rubashov tell the warden when he is asked why he is not out of bed? What is the warden’s reply?
5. What does Gletkin consider to be the best methods for getting confessions out of prisoners? Why does he feel this way?
6. What does Ivanov present to Rubashov during their first interview?
7. What was Prisoner 406’s sentence in his country of origin? How much time does he serve? How does he get out of prison?
8. What does Ivanov say is the reason Rubashov will not capitulate with Gletkin’s method?
9. Why does Rubashov feel guilty about Arlova’s death?
10. How does rub meet Prisoner 406 and what does the 406 show Rubashov?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A prisoner in cell 406 was arrested in his country for communist activities. After 25 years in prison, he is pardoned. He is taken to the station by friends and sent to Russia, his life-long dream. In Russia he is arrested and put in prison. In prison he keeps insisting his friends put him on the wrong train and that someday he will get to Russia and be free.
Discuss the way in which prisoner 406 uses denial of his situation in order to mentally/emotionally survive circumstances which directly oppose what the prisoner has believed most of his life and had spent 25 years in prison for believing. Use examples from Darkness at Noon to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Darkness at Noon belongs to the political novel genre. Discuss the following:
Define the literary term "genre" and name three other genres in addition to the political novel genre. What are the advantages and disadvantages of assigning a genre to a novel? What do you think is the difference between a political novel and a historical novel or mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Rubashov ultimately talks himself into believing he is guilty of crimes against the state.
Discuss Rubashov’s reasoning that leads him to decide he is guilty of crimes against the state. Do you think, with his line of thinking, he is correct? Use examples from Darkness at Noon to support your answer.
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)