|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivanov say are the two conceptions of human ethics?
2. What kind of car do the officials drive who come to arrest Rubashov?
3. What does Rubashov ask No. 1 for while Rubashov is still on crutches?
4. What is Rubashov dreaming about when officials come to arrest him?
5. What does Ivanov say would have made Raskolnikov innocent of a crime?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is in the cell in which Rubashov is locked at the beginning of the book?
2. Why did Ivanov want to commit suicide at one point and how did Rubashov help him?
3. Who is brought to cell 406? What does he keep tapping?
4. Why does Rubashov feel guilty about Arlova’s death?
5. How does Rubashov respond to the evidence and charges Ivanov presents? What is Ivanov’s response?
6. Why is the agriculturist killed?
7. What does Rubashov daydream about on his seventh day in prison?
8. What happens to Rubashov the first time he is imprisoned?
9. What does Rubashov see the last night of the two weeks given to Rubashov by Ivanov? Who arranges it?
10. What book does Rubashov say No. 1 has sitting on his desk at all times? Why does No. 1 have the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although women were supposedly liberated along with the men during the revolution, all the of the top leaders of the revolution and those in power were men. One of the women most written about is Arlova, Rubashov’s secretary at one time. She ends up being executed because she allowed Rubashov to use her as he liked.
Discuss the treatment of women in Darkness at Noon. Could the novel be considered sexist?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Darkness at Noon. Are these universal symbols that would have the same meaning in any culture? What other symbols could portray the same idea? Why do you think Koestler chooses the symbols he does? Consider symbols such as the window in the prison cell, the Judas hole, the map of Prisoner 406 and Rubashov’s constant cleaning of his monocle.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
Identify the protagonists of the story and why you believe they are such? Identify the antagonists of the story and why you believe they are such? Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot? Which, if any, characters are not essential to the story? Explain.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)