|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of car do the officials drive who come to arrest Rubashov?
2. With whom was Richard’s wife having an affair?
3. What relative of Arlova’s was arrested over there?
4. About how long does it take to travel to the prison from Rubashov’s home?
5. What does the agriculturist who is killed believe is the best fertilizer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Rubashov’s relationship to Arlova and what happens to her?
2. What does Rubashov see the last night of the two weeks given to Rubashov by Ivanov? Who arranges it?
3. Why does Rubashov meet with Little Loewy?
4. What happens to Rubashov the first time he is imprisoned?
5. How does Rubashov prepare for his first interrogation when he thinks they may use the steambath on him?
6. What book does Rubashov say No. 1 has sitting on his desk at all times? Why does No. 1 have the book?
7. What does Rubashov daydream about on his seventh day in prison?
8. What does Ivanov present to Rubashov during their first interview?
9. How does rub meet Prisoner 406 and what does the 406 show Rubashov?
10. How does Rubashov respond to the evidence and charges Ivanov presents? What is Ivanov’s response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
Analyze and discuss what you think are the characteristics of a successful novel and why Darkness at Noon is or is not a successful novel based on your criteria. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults?
Essay Topic 2
In the Second Hearing, Rubashov writes of an agriculturist who was killed because he believed nitrate artificial fertilizer was superior to potash.
Discuss how Rubashov relates the above to the communist government’s tendency at that time to kill anyone who disagrees with the government about any subject and how Rubashov believes only the future will know who is right. Use examples from Darkness at Noon to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not? Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Darkness at Noon help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Darkness at Noon? Why or why not? Use examples from Darkness at Noon to support your answer.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)