|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gletkin say is the one duty of the revolution?
(a) To save the masses
(b) To kill any and all opposition
(c) To convert the world
(d) To not perish
2. What does Wassilij say after he hears that Rubashov’s sentence is death?
(a) The government is killing the best of us.
(b) So, now, they murder another innocent man.
(c) Thy will be done. Amen.
(d) And, I, too, may be next.
3. What worries Wassilij about contradicting the reader?
(a) She might turn him in for it.
(b) She might quit reading the paper to him.
(c) She may not speak with him again.
(d) She might think badly of him.
4. What does Rubashov call the light in the room where his third hearing is held?
(a) A dazzle-light
(b) An intimidation light
(c) A torture device
(d) An interrogation beam
5. What does 402 say when Rubashov tells him Rubashov is capitulating?
(a) 402 says he rather hang
(b) He tells Rubashov he is very brave
(c) He tells Rubashov he is a coward
(d) He tells Rubashov that 402 is going to do the same
Short Answer Questions
1. For what reason does Kieffer beg his life be spared?
2. When is Rubashov taken from his cell after turning in his confession?
3. Why did Rubashov not recognize Hare-lip’s name?
4. What temptation does Rubashov say he has overcome?
5. What sticks out of the wall above Wassilij’s head?
Short Essay Questions
1. With whom does Gletkin confront Rubashov and with what charge?
2. What happens after 402 taps his farewell to Rubashov?
3. For what does Wassilij interrupt her reading?
4. What is Rubashov’s response about Arlova when the prosecutor asks about her? What does the prosecutor say to Rubashov about Arlova?
5. What happens with Rubashov right after he signs the last charge?
6. What does Prisoner 402 say about capitulation? What does Rubashov think of this belief?
7. What is Wassilij’s daughter thinking as she reads the paper out loud?
8. What is the result of Gletkin’s pushing Rubashov with no sleep?
9. When Rubashov begins to address the court, what does he say he will talk about?
10. What does the prisoner in 402 tell Rubashov to do before they come for Rubashov and how long does 402 have to remain in prison? What are 402’s last words to Rubashov?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)