|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the prosecutor demand at the end of his speech?
(a) Two of the charges be dropped
(b) Rubashov receive life in prison
(c) Rubashov be sent to Siberia
(d) Rubashov receive the death penalty
2. What does Gletkin say is the reason peasants in industrial positions should be shot for even minor infractions of the law?
(a) Peasants are too stupid to learn on their own.
(b) Peasants had to learn in ten years what most in other countries learned in 200 years.
(c) Death is the only punishment for all crimes.
(d) Rules are the only way for a country to know they are doing a good job.
3. What does Hare-lip say is the what Rubashov says is the way No. 1 will no longer be in power?
(a) No. 1 will resign when he is old.
(b) No. 1 will never be removed.
(c) No. 1 will be removed by violence.
(d) No. 1 will be forced out by the Party.
4. What did Rubashov talk about with a diplomat of a foreign power which Gletkin says was a conversation to get a foreign power to overthrow the government?
(c) Guinea pigs
(d) His father’s farm
5. What does the prosecutor interrupt Rubashov to ask?
(a) If he plans to take a long time
(b) If he is going to say anything against the revolution
(c) To ask him questions about Arlova
(d) To ask him about his time overseas
Short Answer Questions
1. What sticks out of the wall above Wassilij’s head?
2. What does Rubashov say every government measure represents?
3. What does Rubashov do with his confession before supper?
4. What does the reader ask Wassilij before Wassilij signs the petition?
5. Who is reading the newspaper to Wassilij?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rubashov think about the party as he is waiting to be executed?
2. When Rubashov begins to address the court, what does he say he will talk about?
3. What is the result of Gletkin’s pushing Rubashov with no sleep?
4. For what does Wassilij interrupt her reading?
5. What does Rubashov realize about his relationship with Gletkin? Why does he think this?
6. Why is Rubashov confused after he hands over his confession?
7. What does the prisoner in 402 tell Rubashov to do before they come for Rubashov and how long does 402 have to remain in prison? What are 402’s last words to Rubashov?
8. What are the first two questions the prosecutor asks Rubashov?
9. For what reason does Rubashov think the regime is attempting to get rid of the old guard?
10. What does Wassilij say to his daughter about Rubashov’s speech?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)