|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rubashov think that Gletkin has nothing to erase?
(a) He comes from a different country.
(b) He is too young.
(c) He has no past.
(d) He has always obeyed the rules.
2. What does 402 say when Rubashov tells him Rubashov is capitulating?
(a) He tells Rubashov he is a coward
(b) He tells Rubashov he is very brave
(c) 402 says he rather hang
(d) He tells Rubashov that 402 is going to do the same
3. What does the prosecutor demand at the end of his speech?
(a) Two of the charges be dropped
(b) Rubashov be sent to Siberia
(c) Rubashov receive the death penalty
(d) Rubashov receive life in prison
4. From where does Rubashov’s new exercise partner come?
(a) East Germany
(b) Province D
(d) Province W
5. What does Rubashov say has always been his motives for anything?
(a) He had no known motives.
(b) He knew the world looked at Russia with disdain.
(c) He lived according to his convictions and conscience.
(d) He knew they had made a mistake.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rubashov make the speech he makes?
2. Who is reading the newspaper to Wassilij?
3. Who is Rubashov paired with in exercise the morning after Bogrov’s execution?
4. What did Rubashov talk about with a diplomat of a foreign power which Gletkin says was a conversation to get a foreign power to overthrow the government?
5. What worries Wassilij about contradicting the reader?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reactionary peasant do to end up in prison?
2. What does Prisoner 402 say about capitulation? What does Rubashov think of this belief?
3. What is Wassilij’s daughter thinking as she reads the paper out loud?
4. What does Wassilij’s daughter tell him about the petition at work?
5. When Rubashov begins to address the court, what does he say he will talk about?
6. To what other charges does Rubashov concede? What is the one charge that is dropped?
7. Why is Rubashov confused after he hands over his confession?
8. What does Wassilij’s daughter have to say about Rubashov’s trial and what is his response?
9. What happens after 402 taps his farewell to Rubashov?
10. What does Rubashov feel about the grammatical fiction and the USSR right before he is taken to be killed?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)