|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Rubashov mean to study when he was a boy?
2. What does Rubashov believe honor to be?
(a) To die without protest
(b) To serve without vanity
(c) To allow the younger generation to take the reins
(d) To confess even when innocent
3. Why does Rubashov think that Gletkin has nothing to erase?
(a) He comes from a different country.
(b) He has always obeyed the rules.
(c) He has no past.
(d) He is too young.
4. What is something Rubashov notices about his body shortly before they shoot him?
(a) His tooth has quit hurting.
(b) He is glad he used the toilet before he was taken.
(c) His eyesight is better.
(d) He is not shaking like he thought he would.
5. What right does the newspaper say Rubashov waived for the trial?
(a) The right to remain silent
(b) An advocate
(c) A change of venue
(d) A jury trial
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the reader sign up to marry three weeks ago?
2. What does Rubashov think is the real reason he is innocent of all charges?
3. What temptation does Rubashov say he has overcome?
4. What worries Wassilij about contradicting the reader?
5. What does Rubashov realize he missed right after breakfast?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Wassilij’s daughter read the paper to him?
2. What does Rubashov say some of his ideas could cause?
3. What verdict is reached on Rubashov's charges? What evidence is presented?
4. How does Rubashov respond to Hare-lip’s accusations?
5. What does Prisoner 402 say about capitulation? What does Rubashov think of this belief?
6. What are the first two questions the prosecutor asks Rubashov?
7. To what other charges does Rubashov concede? What is the one charge that is dropped?
8. What does the prisoner in 402 tell Rubashov to do before they come for Rubashov and how long does 402 have to remain in prison? What are 402’s last words to Rubashov?
9. Why is Rubashov confused after he hands over his confession?
10. What does Wassilij’s daughter have to say about Rubashov’s trial and what is his response?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)