|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does No. 1 believe justifies his harsh methods?
(a) Justification is not necessary.
(b) The ends justify the means.
(c) He is the absolute authority on everything.
(d) The past justifies the future.
2. How much did Rubashov have to pay for the taxi ride he took when he left Richard?
(a) Twenty marks
(b) Thirty rubles
(c) Ten dollars
3. What does 406 say is the reason he is in prison?
(a) He tried to start a counterrevolution
(b) He stole some food
(c) He was put on the wrong train
(d) He was sleeping in the basement of a known criminal
4. What does Rubashov think the barber looks like?
(a) An actor
(b) His former brother-in-law
(c) A mechanic or locksmith
(d) A farmer
5. What does 406 draw for Rubashov one day when exercising?
(a) A picture of the prison
(b) A picture of No. 1
(c) A map of the area
(d) A picture of his wife
Short Answer Questions
1. What does No. 402 tell Rubashov after Rubashov reveals his name?
2. What does Bill, a man Little Loewy and Rubashov meet, do for a living?
3. What does Rubashov do first when they lock him in his cell?
4. How does Rubashov become deaf?
5. To what round is Rubashov attached for daily exercise?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ivanov tell Rubashov the day after Bogrov is killed?
2. What happens to Rubashov the first time he is imprisoned?
3. What does Little Loewy tell Rubashov about Loewy’s life?
4. What does Ivanov present to Rubashov during their first interview?
5. How does Rubashov prepare for his first interrogation when he thinks they may use the steambath on him?
6. How does rub meet Prisoner 406 and what does the 406 show Rubashov?
7. What is Rubashov’s flashback about after he is told he will get no breakfast?
8. How does Rubashov pass his time in the his cell?
9. Who is brought to cell 406? What does he keep tapping?
10. What does Rubashov tell the warden when he is asked why he is not out of bed? What is the warden’s reply?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)