|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of stories did the prisoner in cell 402 often tell?
(a) Stories of his girlfriends
(b) Stories of his life in America
(c) Anecdotes about his father, a blacksmith
(d) Anecdotes about the officer’s mess
2. What does Rubashov say is the reason he is lost?
(a) He realizes they are going to shoot him.
(b) He no longer believes himself infallible.
(c) He fought for the wrong cause.
(d) He now knows the revolution has a self-centered person at the head.
3. What does Little Loewy smoke?
(b) A corncob pipe
(c) A sailor’s pipe
4. In the car, what does Rubashov tell the younger official the official should study?
(a) World events
(b) How to get people on your side
(c) The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire
(d) The Party's history
5. What does Gletkin say is the reason Gletkin did not give in to torture?
(a) He fainted.
(b) He has a rare disease in which his nerves do not feel pain.
(c) He did give into torture.
(d) He believes in Communism too strongly.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how long does it take to travel to the prison from Rubashov’s home?
2. What does Ivanov say Rubashov will do when Gletkin asks Ivanov in the canteen?
3. What profession did No. 406 have?
4. What does Gletkin fear about Ivanov and Rubashov?
5. What does the barber put under Rubashov’s collar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ivanov want to commit suicide at one point and how did Rubashov help him?
2. What does Rubashov do after he is told he will get no breakfast?
3. What does Ivanov present to Rubashov during their first interview?
4. What is in the cell in which Rubashov is locked at the beginning of the book?
5. How does rub meet Prisoner 406 and what does the 406 show Rubashov?
6. What does Ivanov tell Rubashov the day after Bogrov is killed?
7. How is Rubashov given a chance to exercise? How is that carried out?
8. How does Rubashov respond to the evidence and charges Ivanov presents? What is Ivanov’s response?
9. What does Little Loewy tell Rubashov about Loewy’s life?
10. Why does Rubashov think he is unable to hate No. 1?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)