|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens in the trade delegation library shortly before the second great trial of the opposition?
(a) There is no library in the trade building
(b) The library is burned
(c) The library is shut down
(d) Most of the written material is taken and replaced
2. What relative of Arlova’s was arrested over there?
(a) Her brother
(b) Her mother
(c) Her sister
(d) Her father
3. What does 406 say is the reason he is in prison?
(a) He stole some food
(b) He tried to start a counterrevolution
(c) He was sleeping in the basement of a known criminal
(d) He was put on the wrong train
4. What does the officer handing out breakfast tell the warden is missing in Rubashov’s cell?
(a) A chair at the desk
(b) A towel
(c) A mop for the floor
(d) Soap at the sink
5. What does 406 draw for Rubashov one day when exercising?
(a) A map of the area
(b) A picture of No. 1
(c) A picture of his wife
(d) A picture of the prison
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rubashov need in order to get cigarettes?
2. What does No. 402 call No. 406?
3. As Rubashov paces his cell, what does he wonder about No. 1 ?
4. What does Gletkin say is the reason Gletkin did not give in to torture?
5. How many minutes were the prisoners not in isolation allowed to walk outside?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rubashov tell the warden when he is asked why he is not out of bed? What is the warden’s reply?
2. How is Rubashov given a chance to exercise? How is that carried out?
3. What happens to Rubashov the first time he is imprisoned?
4. What does Ivanov present to Rubashov during their first interview?
5. Whom does Rubashov watch the guards escort down the hallway after Rubashov’s flashback? What does the man look like?
6. Who is brought to cell 406? What does he keep tapping?
7. How does Rubashov prepare for his first interrogation when he thinks they may use the steambath on him?
8. How does Rubashov pass his time in the his cell?
9. What does Rubashov daydream about on his seventh day in prison?
10. Why does Rubashov meet with Little Loewy?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)