|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gletkin say is the one duty of the revolution?
(a) To kill any and all opposition
(b) To save the masses
(c) To convert the world
(d) To not perish
2. What does Wassilij say after he hears that Rubashov’s sentence is death?
(a) And, I, too, may be next.
(b) So, now, they murder another innocent man.
(c) Thy will be done. Amen.
(d) The government is killing the best of us.
3. Why does Wassilij think one must be cunning in life?
(a) So that one can advance
(b) So one can steer the young in a direction without the young knowing it
(c) So one can live comfortably
(d) So one does not end up in prison
4. What does Hare-lip say about Rubashov?
(a) Hare-lip has never seen Rubashov before this prison time.
(b) Rubashov conspired with Hare-lip’s father against No. 1.
(c) Rubashov and Hare-lip were neighbors when Hare-lip was young.
(d) Rubashov tried to get Hare-lip to poison No. 1.
5. What does Wassilij say one must do without if one sides with decency?
6. For what reason does Kieffer beg his life be spared?
(a) He could not help who his father was.
(b) He was led astray by Rubashov.
(c) He did not mean to say any of it.
(d) He is very young.
7. What does the reader ask Wassilij before Wassilij signs the petition?
(a) If he thinks the petition can save him
(b) If he wants her to read the petition to him
(c) If he wants her to sign right below him
(d) If he is angry at Rubashov
8. What does Rubashov say he meant by acting by violence?
(a) He meant by violent speech
(b) He meant terrorism
(c) He meant by political violence
(d) He meant civil war
9. What does Rubashov think is the reason Gletkin reads in a monotone?
(a) He is trying to make the accusations difficult to understand.
(b) He is trying to make Rubashov sleepy.
(c) Gletkin does not want Rubashov to hear what Gletkin is reading.
(d) Gletkin learned to read late in life.
10. What color of scarf is the reader wearing?
11. What does 402 say when Rubashov tells him Rubashov is capitulating?
(a) He tells Rubashov he is a coward
(b) 402 says he rather hang
(c) He tells Rubashov that 402 is going to do the same
(d) He tells Rubashov he is very brave
12. Where does the reader work?
(a) On a farm
(b) In an office building
(c) In a factory
(d) In a store
13. From where does Rubashov’s new exercise partner come?
(b) East Germany
(c) Province W
(d) Province D
14. What does Wassilij say to the reader about Rubashov declaring himself a traitor?
(a) She does not understand about any of it
(b) He will rot in hell
(c) He is not a traitor
(d) He was probably tortured
15. Why doesn’t Wassiij hear the prosecutor’s speech as it is read?
(a) He has fallen asleep.
(b) He is daydreaming.
(c) He has left the room.
(d) He has put a pillow over his head.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rubashov think about when he is thinking about suffering?
2. Who appoints the examining magistrate?
3. How does the reader heat water for tea?
4. Why is Rubashov taken outside during one of his hearings?
5. What temptation does Rubashov say he has overcome?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)