|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Rubashov, how much time has passed since he slept with a woman?
(a) One year
(b) Two weeks
(c) A month
(d) Three weeks
2. What kind of car do the officials drive who come to arrest Rubashov?
(a) An old Russian Moskvitch
(b) A new German Audit
(c) A French Peugeot
(d) A modern American car
3. What does Rubashov think about the Party’s results after he runs out of cigarettes?
(a) The Party was completely wrong.
(b) The principles were right, the results wrong.
(c) The results were right.
(d) The Party could not foresee the results.
4. What awakens Rubashov at seven in the morning?
(a) The sunlight through the window
(b) A guard banging on his door
(c) A person in the next cell screaming
(d) A bugle call
5. What happens in the trade delegation library shortly before the second great trial of the opposition?
(a) The library is shut down
(b) There is no library in the trade building
(c) The library is burned
(d) Most of the written material is taken and replaced
6. Where does Rubashov meet with Little Loewy?
(a) In Russia
(b) In a Belgian port
(c) In Germany
(d) On the Rhine River
7. What does Bill, a man Little Loewy and Rubashov meet, do for a living?
(a) He is a dockworker
(b) Writes novels
(c) Writes articles for party magazines
(d) He is a banker
8. What does Ivanov say has driven many to martyrdom?
(a) Exhaustion and depression
(c) False beliefs
(d) Moral cowardice
9. Ivanov believes that he is what kind of person? What kind of person does Ivanov believe Gletkin to be?
(a) Gletkin is a cynic and Ivanov is a moralist
(b) Gletkin is a stoic and Ivanov is soft
(c) Ivanov is a "by the books" and Gletkin is spontaneous.
(d) Ivanov is a cynic and Ivanov is a moralist.
10. What does 402 tell Rubashov is happening the night the prison feels different?
(a) The prison guards are being changed
(b) He does not know what is happening
(c) Sympathizers are going to break into the prison
(d) Political differences are being settled
11. What principle does Ivanov says governs political ethics?
(a) The ends justifies the means
(b) Politicians will always be corrupt
(c) Politics and religion do not mix
(d) The masses do not know what is good for them
12. To what new job is Arlova appointed?
(a) To monitor the talk in the canteen
(b) To be the secretary for Rubashov’s superior
(c) To be a librarian and monitor the political correctness of books
(d) To write a new biography of No. 1
13. What happened to Arlova?
(a) She was executed.
(b) She died after a long illness.
(c) She killed herself.
(d) She married an Englishman and moved.
14. What does Rubashov want to ask the warden for when they arrive at his cell?
(a) An extra blanket
(b) Wool socks
(c) Paper to write a letter
(d) Some coffee
15. In the car, what does Rubashov tell the younger official the official should study?
(a) The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire
(b) How to get people on your side
(c) World events
(d) The Party's history
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gletkin fear about Ivanov and Rubashov?
2. How much did Rubashov have to pay for the taxi ride he took when he left Richard?
3. What does No. 402 tell Rubashov after Rubashov reveals his name?
4. When No. 402 proclaims the emperor, what does Rubashov say to him?
5. About how long does it take to travel to the prison from Rubashov’s home?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)