|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the doctor say is wrong with Rubashov’s tooth?
(a) It needs a filling.
(b) His eye-tooth is broken off at the root.
(c) His tooth has been chipped.
(d) There is nothing wrong with his tooth.
2. With whom was Richard’s wife having an affair?
(a) The cinema operator
(b) Richard’s brother
(c) No one
(d) A Party chairman
3. What is an execution called in prison?
(a) Physical liquidation
(b) Hangman’s Bluff
(c) Target practice
(d) Prejudiced termination
4. As Rubashov paces his cell, what does he wonder about No. 1 ?
(a) What goes on inside No. 1’s brain
(b) Whether No. 1 ever really believed the party line
(c) What No. 1 might be doing at the moment
(d) Whether anyone can kill No. 1
5. What book does No. 1 keep on his desk at all times?
(a) Spartan and Liberty
(b) Justice Poetics
(c) The Communist Manifesto
(d) The Prince
6. According to Rubashov, how much time has passed since he slept with a woman?
(a) A month
(b) Three weeks
(c) One year
(d) Two weeks
7. What profession did No. 406 have?
(b) Industrial manager
(c) Sociology teacher
8. What does the officer handing out breakfast tell the warden is missing in Rubashov’s cell?
(a) A towel
(b) A mop for the floor
(c) Soap at the sink
(d) A chair at the desk
9. When No. 402 proclaims the emperor, what does Rubashov say to him?
(a) The emperor is dead.
(b) I agree.
(c) Don’t say that so loud.
10. What does Rubashov say is the reason he is lost?
(a) He no longer believes himself infallible.
(b) He now knows the revolution has a self-centered person at the head.
(c) He realizes they are going to shoot him.
(d) He fought for the wrong cause.
11. What does Rubashov think about the Party’s results after he runs out of cigarettes?
(a) The results were right.
(b) The Party was completely wrong.
(c) The Party could not foresee the results.
(d) The principles were right, the results wrong.
12. With what does Rubashov say he and the other leaders of the revolution replaced vision?
(a) Nothing, vision was never discussed
(b) A specific set of laws
(c) Logical deduction
(d) Hard work
13. How much did Rubashov have to pay for the taxi ride he took when he left Richard?
(a) Twenty marks
(b) Ten dollars
(c) Thirty rubles
14. What does Gletkin fear about Ivanov and Rubashov?
(a) The Ivanov will convince Rubashov for a public trial and Gletkin’s methods will be questioned
(b) That Ivanov will help Rubashov escape
(c) That they are conspiring to have Gletkin arrested
(d) That Ivanov will succeed and Rubashov will sign a confession
15. What is Rubashov dreaming about when officials come to arrest him?
(a) Leaving Russia and living in France
(b) His first trip outside the country
(c) His first arrest
(d) His wife and children who were killed
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard think people need to be told?
2. What is the last thing prisoner 380 yelled as he is pulled down the corridor?
3. With what was Rubashov’s suitcase filled when he met a man in southern Germany in 1933?
4. What relative of Arlova’s was arrested over there?
5. What picture hangs over Rubashov’s bed at home?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)