|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does No. 402 call No. 406?
(a) Something Man
(b) Rip Van Wrinkle
(c) Dumb as rocks
(d) Julius Caesar
2. What does Ivanov call Rubashov’s emotional state?
(a) Martyr complex
(b) Sentimental nonsense
(d) Nervous depression
3. What are the two types of cases that could be used in court for Rubashov?
(a) V and A
(b) P and A
(c) T and P
(d) C and T
4. From what does Rubashov tell Ivanov all of Ivanov’s examples are taken?
(a) From abnormal circumstances
(b) From times of peace
(c) From The Prince
(d) From examples by No. 1
5. What does 406 draw for Rubashov one day when exercising?
(a) A picture of the prison
(b) A picture of No. 1
(c) A picture of his wife
(d) A map of the area
6. According to Rubashov, how much time has passed since he slept with a woman?
(a) Three weeks
(b) A month
(c) One year
(d) Two weeks
7. What does the doctor say is wrong with Rubashov’s tooth?
(a) His eye-tooth is broken off at the root.
(b) There is nothing wrong with his tooth.
(c) It needs a filling.
(d) His tooth has been chipped.
8. What happens in the trade delegation library shortly before the second great trial of the opposition?
(a) There is no library in the trade building
(b) The library is shut down
(c) Most of the written material is taken and replaced
(d) The library is burned
9. Why is Rubashov allowed to remain in bed on his first morning in prison?
(a) He claims to have a toothache.
(b) The rules are not posted in his cell.
(c) He tells them he has the flu.
(d) He has not been processed yet.
10. What does Rubashov say is the reason he is lost?
(a) He fought for the wrong cause.
(b) He realizes they are going to shoot him.
(c) He now knows the revolution has a self-centered person at the head.
(d) He no longer believes himself infallible.
11. With what does Rubashov say wrong ideas must be punished?
(b) Prison terms
(c) Isolation and torture
12. Who reads the newspaper to Vassilij?
(a) No one, he reads them himself
(b) His wife
(c) His daughter
(d) His son
13. What does Rubashov need in order to get cigarettes?
(a) A visiting relative
(b) Prison vouchers
(d) A connection with the top prisoner
14. How did Little Loewy die?
(a) He hanged himself.
(b) A heavy crate fell on him while unloading a ship.
(c) He was shot by a Party member.
(d) He fell off a ship.
15. What is wrong with Ivanov’s bad leg?
(a) It is shorter than the other.
(b) It is full of shrapnel.
(c) It is artificial.
(d) The knee is frozen.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Rubashov is lying in his cell the first morning, what does he think will happen to him?
2. What does Ivanov call all the deaths that have occurred since the revolution?
3. What does the barber put under Rubashov’s collar?
4. With what was Rubashov’s suitcase filled when he met a man in southern Germany in 1933?
5. What awakens Rubashov at seven in the morning?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)