|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Allie do on the morning after telling the gunslinger about Sylvia?
2. What is the final result of the gunslinger's altercation with the people of Tull?
3. What do the boys ask their fathers about the hanging in the town?
4. Who does the gunslinger see sitting in the shadows?
5. What is the gunslinger's dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the night as the gunslinger sleeps in the desert.
2. Describe what Jake tells the gunslinger to look at in the mountains.
3. Describe the killing ground where the man in black leads the gunslinger.
4. Summarize why the gunslinger looks at Jake with sorrow.
5. Summarize what the gunslinger and the man in black talk about throughout the night and what is revealed when the conversation is over.
6. Describe where the gunslinger finds Jake when he is missing from the campsite.
7. Describe what Roland wants from Cort when he kicks in his door.
8. Describe the events that take place as the gunslinger walks through the center of town.
9. Summarize the memories the gunslinger has of days learning with Cort.
10. Summarize the outcome of the gunslinger's shoot-out with the townspeople of Tull.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Stephen King's use of imagery to convey the tone of the novel.
2) How do the images of the weather and the desert add to this tone?
3) Justify the answers with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the role of the gunslinger as the protagonist in the novel and the role of the man in black as the antagonist.
2) Explain the qualities each of the two characters has that places them into these roles.
3) In what way does the man in black oppose the gunslinger?
4) Justify the role of each man with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the relationship between the gunslinger and Jake.
2) How does the man in black's father affect the gunslinger's relationship with Jake?
3) How does the gunslinger feel about Jake at the end of the novel?
4) Give examples from the story of how they interact with one another.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)