|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has been on the gunslinger's mind all day as he trudges through the desert?
2. What is Brown planning to do with the gunslinger's mule?
3. What is the gunslinger's dream?
4. What does Allie do on the morning after telling the gunslinger about Sylvia?
5. What does the gunslinger tell Brown about his way of life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Roland and Cuthbert overhear as they eat their dessert and how they react.
2. Summarize the decision the gunslinger must make when Jake falls onto the edge of a pit, clutching on for his life.
3. Describe the encounter the gunslinger has with Jake.
4. Describe the events that take place as the gunslinger walks through the center of town.
5. Describe what Jake tells the gunslinger to look at in the mountains.
6. Describe what Roland wants from Cort when he kicks in his door.
7. Summarize the memories the gunslinger has of days learning with Cort.
8. Describe Sylvia's prediction about what the man in black intends to do about the gunslinger.
9. Summarize the encounter the gunslinger has with Kennerly and Soobie.
10. Analyze why the gunslinger asks Brown who he really is.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the resolution of the story as it relates to the gunslinger, Jake, and the man in black.
2) Explain the metamorphosis each of them experiences in the final chapters.
Essay Topic 2
Brown is a mystery to the gunslinger.
1) In what way does Brown help the gunslinger on his journey?
2) In what respect has Brown led the gunslinger to a new awareness about his own human nature and man's spiritual nature?
3) Explain how Brown is wise in the ways of the flesh and the spirit. Give examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an introduction to the novel discussing Stephen King's writing style, use of dialogue, irony, imagery, and point of view of the characters. How do these literary elements affect the story?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)