|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sylvia say to the gunslinger when he comes into her home?
2. What does the gunslinger tell Brown about his way of life?
3. What is the gunslinger's reaction when men, women, and children come after him with clubs and knives?
4. How does the gunslinger get into Sylvia's residence?
5. Where does the man in black lead the gunslinger?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize why the gunslinger goes back to the circle of stones.
2. Describe what Jake tells the gunslinger to look at in the mountains.
3. Summarize what the gunslinger and the man in black talk about throughout the night and what is revealed when the conversation is over.
4. Describe Sylvia's prediction about what the man in black intends to do about the gunslinger.
5. Describe the parting of Brown and the gunslinger.
6. Describe the killing ground where the man in black leads the gunslinger.
7. Describe the appearance of Brown on the day the gunslinger leaves his home.
8. Summarize the final conversation that Allie and the gunslinger have together.
9. Describe the encounter the gunslinger has with Jake.
10. Summarize the memories the gunslinger has of days learning with Cort.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an introduction to the novel discussing Stephen King's writing style, use of dialogue, irony, imagery, and point of view of the characters. How do these literary elements affect the story?
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the relationship between the gunslinger and Jake.
2) How does the man in black's father affect the gunslinger's relationship with Jake?
3) How does the gunslinger feel about Jake at the end of the novel?
4) Give examples from the story of how they interact with one another.
Essay Topic 3
1) Discuss how the gunslinger's attitude toward life changes from the beginning of the book to the end.
2) How does his attitude change toward the man in black? How does his attitude change about himself?
3) What are the differences in his attitude toward the meaning of life differ from the beginning to the end of the story?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)