|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the gunslinger's mystic number that determines his fate?
2. Where is the man who taught the gunslinger how to shoot?
3. What does Sylvia say is beyond the desert when the gunslinger grabs her?
4. What is the scene as the gunslinger dreams?
5. Where does the gunslinger find Jake after waking from his dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize why the gunslinger looks at Jake with sorrow.
2. Describe the killing ground where the man in black leads the gunslinger.
3. Describe what Roland wants from Cort when he kicks in his door.
4. Summarize the outcome of the gunslinger's shoot-out with the townspeople of Tull.
5. Describe what Roland and Cuthbert overhear as they eat their dessert and how they react.
6. Summarize Sylvia Pittston's encounter with the man in black.
7. Summarize Brown's reaction when the gunslinger is finished telling the story about Tull.
8. Summarize the decision the gunslinger must make when Jake falls onto the edge of a pit, clutching on for his life.
9. Describe where the gunslinger finds Jake when he is missing from the campsite.
10. Summarize the final conversation that Allie and the gunslinger have together.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) As the gunslinger walks through the desert, a nursery rhyme plays through his mind in a maddening way.
2) Determine King's purpose in using this poem in the story.
3) What does the poetic imagery reveal about the gunslinger's life?
4) Analyze the message his mother was trying to give to Roland about the road his life will take.
5) Cite examples from the novel that prove the prophecies in the rhyme have come true in the gunslinger's life as an adult.
Essay Topic 2
1) Choose several episodes from the novel that reveal important facets of the man in black's character.
2) Explain how these episodes are revealing.
3) Describe what motivates him and what his final goal is.
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause the gunslinger's life to undergo a change.
3) How does he react to the events and their effects?
4) How does he grow emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward the people in his life because of these changes?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)