|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XXIV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XX, what does the soul learn on the tenth step?
(a) All that God knows.
(d) Magical powers.
2. In Dark Night of the Soul during the dark night, the soul learns that by itself it is what?
(a) Weak and miserable.
(b) Worthless to the devil.
(c) Sinful and guilty.
3. What holds the soul in bondage?
(a) The devil and the senses.
(b) Human thought.
(d) Peer pressure.
4. What does the author call things that stop the human soul from seeking God?
(a) Sinful devils.
(b) Friends of humans.
(d) Enemies of man.
5. According to St. John, what replaces spiritual anxiety after passing through the dark night?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the soul uncertain of finding its way out in the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter VII?
2. St. John explains that beginners who have pride become impatient with whom?
3. What do beginners have to go through to increase their strength and lose their imperfections, according to Book I, Chapter 1?
4. What directions can men take upon the secret ladder, as described in Book II, Chapter XVIII?
5. What does the soul do on the sixth step of the ladder of love, according to Book II, Chapter XX?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)