|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XXIV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XXIII, why is the soul traveling in concealment through the dark night?
(a) To sneak into heaven.
(b) To hide from the devil.
(c) To protect itself from God's anger.
(d) To deceive peers.
2. The author states that people can only move on the ladder when they have a feeling of what for themselves?
3. In Book II, Chapter IX, what is required for a man to possess for his soul to be illuminated with divine light?
(b) Holy water.
(c) A speck of spiritual knowledge.
(d) God's favor.
4. During the dark night according to the author, when attachments are stripped away, a Christian might feel as if what is happening?
(a) Being burned alive.
(b) Being eaten by a huge beast.
(c) Being free and flying.
(d) Being very sick.
5. According to the author, why must the soul forget all forms of natural love?
(a) To appreciate divine love.
(b) To be reminded of sin.
(c) To become more like God.
(d) To reflect the state of a baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XXIII, what does the devil give the believer that stays with him disturbing the soul for a long period of time?
2. St. John says that the dark night causes the soul to gain a healthy respect for what?
3. According to St. John, what strong desire does a new Christian experience?
4. Once a soul has received the love from God after the dark night, it will only want to do what, as described by St. John?
5. What is the name of the sin that occurs when a beginner hears another being praised and wants the praise for himself?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)