|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XXIV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the soul become secure after passing through the dark night, according to St. John?
(a) It has become like God.
(b) It has become strong in sin.
(c) It has forgiven God's mistakes.
(d) It has found itself.
2. In Book I, Chapter II, what sin do beginners exhibit when they choose leaders who agree with their views?
3. What is the purpose of the disguise worn on the ladder, as described by the author?
(a) To overcome the pain of the dark night.
(b) To become a new person.
(c) To hide oneself from God.
(d) To hide oneself to achieve a goal.
4. What does the soul become enkindled with during the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter X?
(a) The love of God.
(b) Revulsion to faith.
(c) Repentance of sin.
(d) The weight of sin.
5. St. John writes that a person experiencing the dark night might feel as if who has abandoned him?
(a) His friends.
(b) His family.
(d) His children.
Short Answer Questions
1. In <i>Dark Night of the Soul</i>, the spirit thirsts for love more than the soul thirsts because the spirit realizes what?
2. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
3. According to St. John, how many believers will reach the union with God without going through trials?
4. In Book II, Chapter IV, what is purged on the second night of darkness?
5. How many steps are on the ladder of love?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)