|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XXIV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the dark night according to the author, when attachments are stripped away, a Christian might feel as if what is happening?
(a) Being free and flying.
(b) Being eaten by a huge beast.
(c) Being very sick.
(d) Being burned alive.
2. In Book II, Chapter IV, what is purged on the second night of darkness?
(a) All mortal sins.
(b) All unclean thoughts.
(c) Both parts of the soul together.
(d) Only the sensual part of the soul.
3. According to St. John, one going through the dark night does not experience pleasure in what?
(a) Anything physical.
(b) Anything spiritual or physical.
(c) Anything spiritual.
(d) Committing sin.
4. What is the focus of Book II, Chapter XVI?
(a) The pressure of human peers.
(b) The light of spiritual faith.
(c) The darkness of God's love.
(d) The darkness in which the soul finds itself.
5. What do beginning Christians feel happens when they grow in faith and deal with suffering for God's sake, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
(a) God draws closer to them.
(b) Their sins worsen.
(c) God suddenly abandons them.
(d) They no longer believe in their faith.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to St. John, how many believers will reach the union with God without going through trials?
2. What can the devil sense is going on during the dark night, as written in Book II, Chapter XXIII?
3. What example does the author use to describe divine light?
4. St. John says that in periods of affliction during the dark night, the soul may feel as if what will never go away?
5. The author writes that the yearning for God will leave the soul in what state?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)