|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XXIV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do beginners have to go through to increase their strength and lose their imperfections, according to Book I, Chapter 1?
(a) A baptism.
(b) A journey through heaven.
(c) A dark night.
2. In Book II, Chapter IX, what will a person become as he goes through a harder labor and more severe pain?
(a) Less perfect.
(b) More perfect.
(c) More sinful.
(d) More desirable by God.
3. According to St. John, what kind of day is it when a man searches for God in a divine way instead of a human way?
4. What is the main topic of Book II, Chapter XVII?
(a) The path to heaven.
(b) The temptation of sin.
(c) God's fury.
(d) Secret knowledge.
5. In what is the soul enveloped before passing through the dark night?
(a) A cloud of darkness.
(b) A collection of angels.
(c) A pit of despair.
(d) Evil demons.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter IV, what is purged on the second night of darkness?
2. What is the main topic of discussion in Book II, Chapter XV?
3. According to St. John, people who have never experienced a dark night do not understand what this feels like?
4. According to St. John, one going through the dark night does not experience pleasure in what?
5. St. John explains that beginners who have pride become impatient with whom?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)