|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XXIV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the afflictions of the second night of darkness affect a man, as stated in Book II, Chapter VII?
(a) In his passion for sin.
(b) In his will and soul.
(c) In his sensual areas.
(d) In his love for God.
2. What does the soul do on the second step of the ladder of love, according to Book II, Chapter XIX?
(a) Ascend to heaven.
(b) Battle sin.
(c) Search for God.
(d) Abandon hope.
3. What is the example the author uses in describing the way the purification process works?
(a) The burning of a log in a fire.
(b) The burning rays of the sun.
(c) The chopping down of a tree.
(d) The changing seasons.
4. In Book I, Chapter XII, the soul develops a fear of what during the dark night?
(a) Other's love.
(d) God's love.
5. In Book I, Chapter VI, what sin are new believers said to be especially prone to because of its sweetness?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XXIII, what does the devil give the believer that stays with him disturbing the soul for a long period of time?
2. To what does St. John compare a new Christian?
3. St. John says that the knowledge of the divine come to the soul in what way?
4. What does the author describe as the reason for the underlying pain of the soul in preparation with a union with God?
5. The purging of the soul in the feeling of poverty is compared to what in Book II, Chapter VI?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)