|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XXIV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XI, when will the soul seek God?
(a) After enkindlement.
(b) After death.
(c) After God's punishment.
(d) From birth.
2. Where do the afflictions of the second night of darkness affect a man, as stated in Book II, Chapter VII?
(a) In his will and soul.
(b) In his love for God.
(c) In his sensual areas.
(d) In his passion for sin.
3. What is the main topic of discussion in Book II, Chapter XV?
(a) The second stanza of the poem.
(b) The author's beliefs on marriage.
(c) The first stanza of the poem.
(d) A chapter from the Bible.
4. What is the title of the poem that is introduced in the prologue?
(a) "Song of Songs."
(b) "The Stanzas of the Soul."
(c) "Song of the Soul."
(d) "Mount Carmel."
5. How many steps are on the ladder of love?
(b) A hundred.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main topic of Book II, Chapter XVII?
2. The soul must endure periods of trial, testing, and what else to reach its final state of union with God as described by St. John?
3. What is another reason the author gives for the soul traveling through the dark night in concealment?
4. What does St. John say affects Christians in a way that they are easily swayed by their senses and see imaginary visions?
5. According to St. John, how many believers will reach the union with God without going through trials?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)