|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XXIV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can the devil sense is going on during the dark night, as written in Book II, Chapter XXIII?
(a) The release from sin.
(b) The human's wickedness.
(c) God's anger.
(d) A passing of spiritual wisdom.
2. St. John says that almost all beginners will experience what?
(b) Spiritual purgation.
(c) Sensual purgation.
(d) Divine wisdom.
3. The purging of the soul in the feeling of poverty is compared to what in Book II, Chapter VI?
(a) Metal in fire.
(b) Wood in fire.
(c) A rebirth.
(d) The sun and the stars.
4. What state does St. John say the soul is in when it has a chance to escape from bondage of the world?
5. Who else can descend and ascend upon the spiritual ladder besides men, according to Book II, Chapter XIII?
Short Answer Questions
1. What step of the ladder feels like heaven on earth?
2. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
3. St. John's use of writing about a spiritual ladder as a path to unification with God is an example of what?
4. In Book II, Chapter IX, what is required for a man to possess for his soul to be illuminated with divine light?
5. Gluttony is exhibited when believers go to extremes and will not stop what?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)