|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XXIV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what are the spirits in purgatory purged?
(a) Real fire.
(b) God's love.
2. To what can the fifth step of the ladder of love be compared?
(a) A husband and wife.
(b) A priest and God.
(c) Children and parents.
(d) A starving person and food.
3. St. John describes the soul feeling as if it is losing ground when in reality it is just doing what?
(a) Committing sin.
(b) Exploring new territory.
(c) Becoming more godlike.
(d) Separating from the body.
4. What does the author call things that stop the human soul from seeking God?
(a) Sinful devils.
(b) Enemies of man.
(d) Friends of humans.
5. According to St. John, what kind of day is it when a man searches for God in a divine way instead of a human way?
Short Answer Questions
1. St. John says that in periods of affliction during the dark night, the soul may feel as if what will never go away?
2. How does the soul change during the dark night?
3. According to St. John, people who have never experienced a dark night do not understand what this feels like?
4. As described in Book II, Chapter II, what are deeply rooted in the spirit of a person and must be removed by the purging of the soul?
5. Who is the author of Dark Night of the Soul?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)