|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XXIV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter X, what can people become if they do not recognize they are going through the dark night?
(d) More sinful.
2. When the souls on earth are purged, with what do they become infused, according to Book II, Chapter XII?
(a) Love and wisdom.
(b) Grace and redemption.
(c) Freedom and pain.
(d) Guilt and suffering.
3. What is disturbed by divine purgation, according to Book II, Chapter VIII?
(a) The power of sin.
(b) The sleep cycle.
4. What does the soul become enkindled with during the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter X?
(a) The love of God.
(b) Repentance of sin.
(c) The weight of sin.
(d) Revulsion to faith.
5. St. John says that the knowledge of the divine come to the soul in what way?
(a) By rejecting sin.
(b) By the Holy Spirit.
(c) By battling evil.
(d) By the power of the human mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what does the garment of hope protect the soul, according to Book II, Chapter XXI?
2. St. John writes that a person experiencing the dark night might feel as if who has abandoned him?
3. What state does St. John say the soul is in when it has a chance to escape from bondage of the world?
4. The author writes that the yearning for God will leave the soul in what state?
5. According to St. John, on what step does the soul seek to do something worthy of God without any favor from God?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)