|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XXIV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. St. John says that almost all beginners will experience what?
(a) Divine wisdom.
(c) Spiritual purgation.
(d) Sensual purgation.
2. What happens on the first step of the ladder, according to Book II, Chapter XIX?
(a) God punishes the soul.
(b) The soul swoons for God.
(c) Sin takes over the soul.
(d) The spirit battles the soul.
3. What is the example the author uses in describing the way the purification process works?
(a) The changing seasons.
(b) The chopping down of a tree.
(c) The burning rays of the sun.
(d) The burning of a log in a fire.
4. What does a believer wear to protect his thoughts from the desires of the world?
(a) A black cloak.
(b) A helmet.
(c) A scarf tied around the head.
(d) The hat of salvation.
5. It is necessary for the spirit and the sensual portion of man to be separated in order for what to happen, according to Book II, Chapter III?
(a) God's forgiveness.
(b) The second night of darkness.
(d) An entrance into heaven.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the soul do on the sixth step of the ladder of love, according to Book II, Chapter XX?
2. Where must man walk to be protected from the evil of natural senses?
3. The author says the severity of the trials of a person going through the dark night depends on what?
4. In Book II, Chapter IX, what will a person become as he goes through a harder labor and more severe pain?
5. Without passing through the dark night, the author says that people are still what of their natural desires and wants?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)