|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XXIV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. St. John writes that a person experiencing the dark night might feel as if who has abandoned him?
(a) His family.
(c) His children.
(d) His friends.
2. To what can the fifth step of the ladder of love be compared?
(a) A husband and wife.
(b) A starving person and food.
(c) A priest and God.
(d) Children and parents.
3. As described in Book II, Chapter II, what are deeply rooted in the spirit of a person and must be removed by the purging of the soul?
(a) Mortal sin.
(b) The seven deadly sins.
(c) Habitual imperfections.
(d) Spiritual imperfections.
4. The soul must endure periods of trial, testing, and what else to reach its final state of union with God as described by St. John?
5. The example the author uses about purification illustrates an understanding of what concept?
(a) The strengthening of the spirit by God's wrath.
(b) The purging of the spirit by leaving behind sin.
(c) The purging of the soul by divine love.
(d) The strengthening of the soul by sin.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XX, what does the soul learn on the tenth step?
2. What can the devil sense is going on during the dark night, as written in Book II, Chapter XXIII?
3. In Book II, Chapter XXIII, what does the devil give the believer that stays with him disturbing the soul for a long period of time?
4. The author writes that the yearning for God will leave the soul in what state?
5. In what kind of way would the soul respond to God's love if the senses were not numbed?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)