|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XXIV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of the disguise worn on the ladder, as described by the author?
(a) To hide oneself from God.
(b) To become a new person.
(c) To overcome the pain of the dark night.
(d) To hide oneself to achieve a goal.
2. When a man searches for God in a divine way, the spirit and the soul of that person are transformed into what, according to Book II, Chapter V?
(a) A sinner.
(b) An innocent child.
(c) The likeness of God.
(d) A new person.
3. What is the purpose for writing Dark Night of the Soul that St. John describes?
(a) To spread the word of God.
(b) To teach others.
(c) To help women.
(d) To make money.
4. What happens at the same time the soul is yearning for God in Book II, Chapter XI?
(a) The love of friends gives comfort.
(b) The comfort of God gives peace.
(c) The forces of evil burn the soul.
(d) The fire of God burns the soul.
5. What does St. John say happens after a person is involved in spiritual activities for wrath to enter into a beginner's life?
(a) The person is lazy.
(b) The pleasure fades.
(c) There is no further instruction from God.
(d) There is no monetary gain.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter IV, what is purged on the second night of darkness?
2. What can a soul not see beyond until it has been properly purged?
3. Without passing through the dark night, the author says that people are still what of their natural desires and wants?
4. What does the author call things that stop the human soul from seeking God?
5. What step of the ladder feels like heaven on earth?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)