|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XXIV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. St. John describes the soul feeling as if it is losing ground when in reality it is just doing what?
(a) Exploring new territory.
(b) Becoming more godlike.
(c) Committing sin.
(d) Separating from the body.
2. What can a soul not see beyond until it has been properly purged?
(a) The eyes of a human.
(b) Sin and evil.
(c) God's message.
(d) The darkness.
3. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the first night purify?
(a) The sensual.
(c) Mortal sin.
(d) The soul.
4. What is the topic of the prologue?
(a) The biography of the author.
(b) Other authors' works.
(c) A history of the Bible.
(d) The purpose of the book.
5. What are souls on the sixth step granted, according to St. John?
(a) Immense wealth.
(b) Eternal life.
(c) Magical powers.
(d) Things which they ask for.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where must man walk to be protected from the evil of natural senses?
2. In Book II, Chapter XIII, the author states that love is felt by what?
3. According to St. John, what two states does a person have to pass through to realize a state of perfection with God?
4. What does the author return to explaining in Book II, Chapter XXII?
5. St. John says that in periods of affliction during the dark night, the soul may feel as if what will never go away?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)