|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XIX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XI, the soul would miss the spiritual love and affection of what if it was to go away?
(a) The guild of sin.
(b) The fire of the Spirit.
(c) The demands of the earthly world.
(d) The threat of evil.
2. In Book II, Chapter XIII, the author states that love is felt by what?
(d) The human mind.
3. When entering into the dark night, what does God cause the soul of the person to simply desire, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
(a) Peace and nature.
(b) Quiet and to be alone.
(c) The love of God and others.
(d) The company of a spiritual leader.
4. The dark night refers to the darkness of what?
(a) Natural senses.
(b) Human guilt.
(c) The end of the world.
(d) Human sin.
5. According to St. John, what happens when beginners try to build their own spirituality instead of waiting on God?
(a) They begin to feel like they no longer need God.
(b) They begin to influence other into sin.
(c) They become frustrated with the progress.
(d) They succeed.
Short Answer Questions
1. St. John's use of writing about a spiritual ladder as a path to unification with God is an example of what?
2. What is the main topic of Book II, Chapter XVII?
3. In Book II, Chapter VII, what will souls not believe when experiencing a dark night with so much pain?
4. St. John describes the soul feeling as if it is losing ground when in reality it is just doing what?
5. In Book II, Chapter XII, what does the spirit of wisdom and love also affects?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)