|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XIX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many steps are on the ladder of love?
(c) A hundred.
2. What happens on the first step of the ladder, according to Book II, Chapter XIX?
(a) The soul swoons for God.
(b) God punishes the soul.
(c) Sin takes over the soul.
(d) The spirit battles the soul.
3. In Book II, Chapter VII, what will souls not believe when experiencing a dark night with so much pain?
(a) The balance of nature.
(b) God loves them.
(c) The duty of man.
(d) The guilt of sin.
4. St. John says that almost all beginners will experience what?
(b) Spiritual purgation.
(c) Sensual purgation.
(d) Divine wisdom.
5. According to St. John, one going through the dark night does not experience pleasure in what?
(a) Anything spiritual or physical.
(b) Anything spiritual.
(c) Committing sin.
(d) Anything physical.
Short Answer Questions
1. St. John writes that souls on earth are purged with the fire of what?
2. What does the soul become enkindled with during the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter X?
3. What is the main topic of Book II, Chapter XVII?
4. Beside the feelings of poverty, what is necessary to completely purge the spirit?
5. When entering into the dark night, what does God cause the soul of the person to simply desire, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)