|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XIX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of the poem that is introduced in the prologue?
(a) "Mount Carmel."
(b) "Song of Songs."
(c) "The Stanzas of the Soul."
(d) "Song of the Soul."
2. What happens at the same time the soul is yearning for God in Book II, Chapter XI?
(a) The comfort of God gives peace.
(b) The fire of God burns the soul.
(c) The love of friends gives comfort.
(d) The forces of evil burn the soul.
3. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
(a) A cistern of water.
(b) Breast milk.
(d) Plant roots.
4. How many steps are on the ladder of love?
(b) A hundred.
5. What is the focus of Book II, Chapter XVI?
(a) The pressure of human peers.
(b) The light of spiritual faith.
(c) The darkness in which the soul finds itself.
(d) The darkness of God's love.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the souls on earth are purged, with what do they become infused, according to Book II, Chapter XII?
2. The soul starts to develop a habit of what during the dark night, as stated in Book I, Chapter XIII?
3. In Dark Night of the Soul, with what do slothful Christians have trouble aligning themselves?
4. A peaceful time with God will spark the spirit of what, according to the author?
5. In Dark Night of the Soul, what does the soul wait for in the second night of darkness?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)