|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XIX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say the soul experiences, even during the dark night?
(a) Peaceful rest.
(b) Salvation from sin.
(c) The presence of God.
(d) An ascent to heaven.
2. What do beginners have to go through to increase their strength and lose their imperfections, according to Book I, Chapter 1?
(a) A baptism.
(b) A dark night.
(d) A journey through heaven.
3. In Book II, Chapter IV, what is purged on the second night of darkness?
(a) All mortal sins.
(b) Both parts of the soul together.
(c) All unclean thoughts.
(d) Only the sensual part of the soul.
4. To what is the secret ladder a reference, as mentioned in Book II, Chapter XV?
(a) The stairs to heaven.
(b) The ladder of sin.
(c) The path to becoming like God.
(d) The ladder of living faith.
5. According to St. John, what does the spirit of those who enter the dark night feel?
(a) God's desire.
(d) The weight of sin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beside the feelings of poverty, what is necessary to completely purge the spirit?
2. What is a type of pain felt during the dark night that is really not a problem, according to St. John?
3. In Book II, Chapter IX, what is required for a man to possess for his soul to be illuminated with divine light?
4. In Book II, Chapter XII, what is the will described as?
5. In what is the soul enveloped before passing through the dark night?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)