|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XIX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What directions can men take upon the secret ladder, as described in Book II, Chapter XVIII?
(a) From earth to heaven.
(b) Side to side.
(c) From earth to hell.
(d) Ascension and descension.
2. St. John says that in periods of affliction during the dark night, the soul may feel as if what will never go away?
3. To what can the fifth step of the ladder of love be compared?
(a) Children and parents.
(b) A priest and God.
(c) A starving person and food.
(d) A husband and wife.
4. St. John says that almost all beginners will experience what?
(a) Divine wisdom.
(c) Sensual purgation.
(d) Spiritual purgation.
5. What do beginning Christians feel happens when they grow in faith and deal with suffering for God's sake, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
(a) Their sins worsen.
(b) God draws closer to them.
(c) They no longer believe in their faith.
(d) God suddenly abandons them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beside the feelings of poverty, what is necessary to completely purge the spirit?
2. St. John writes that because of the goodness of God's divine wisdom, the soul actually feels as if it is being what?
3. In Dark Night of the Soul during the dark night, the soul learns that by itself it is what?
4. During the dark night, what does the Christian want to do when the spirit of blasphemy descends, according to Book I, Chapter XIV?
5. St. John's use of writing about a spiritual ladder as a path to unification with God is an example of what?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)