|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XIX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to St. John, what strong desire does a new Christian experience?
(a) A thirst for God.
(b) A need for acceptance.
(c) Sensual pleasure.
(d) The desire to be good.
2. In Book II, Chapter XI, when will the soul seek God?
(a) After death.
(b) From birth.
(c) After God's punishment.
(d) After enkindlement.
3. In Dark Night of the Soul, with what do slothful Christians have trouble aligning themselves?
(a) God's will.
(b) Hard work.
(c) A pure heart.
4. According to Book II, Chapter XIV, why does the soul speak these lines: "I went forth without being observed / My house being now at rest"?
(a) Out of sadness.
(b) Out of remorse.
(c) Out of happiness.
(d) Out of guilt.
5. The seven deadly sins are recognized by what Christian community?
(a) The Pentecostal Church.
(b) The Baptist Church.
(c) The Catholic Church.
(d) The Lutheran Church.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the dark night, what does the Christian want to do when the spirit of blasphemy descends, according to Book I, Chapter XIV?
2. What does the author call things that stop the human soul from seeking God?
3. The dark night refers to the darkness of what?
4. According to St. John, what replaces spiritual anxiety after passing through the dark night?
5. Without passing through the dark night, the author says that people are still what of their natural desires and wants?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)