|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XIX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As described in Book II, Chapter II, what are deeply rooted in the spirit of a person and must be removed by the purging of the soul?
(a) Mortal sin.
(b) Habitual imperfections.
(c) The seven deadly sins.
(d) Spiritual imperfections.
2. In Book II, Chapter XVII, who is given the knowledge of the divine?
(b) Only priests.
(c) No one.
(d) Not everyone.
3. What do beginners have to go through to increase their strength and lose their imperfections, according to Book I, Chapter 1?
(a) A journey through heaven.
(b) A dark night.
(c) A baptism.
4. Gluttony is exhibited when believers go to extremes and will not stop what?
(a) Being angry at others.
(b) Spiritual exercises.
(c) Having sexual affairs.
(d) Collecting money.
5. What does the author say is a problem for the soul, especially in divine activities?
(a) Lack of faith.
(b) Keeping secrets from God.
(c) The lure of sin.
Short Answer Questions
1. St. John says that it becomes clear which parts are purified and which are still not purified during what time in the dark night?
2. What happens to human senses, according to the author, when a human is in the darkness?
3. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the first night purify?
4. What is the theme of Book I, Chapter IV?
5. In Book II, Chapter IX, what will a person become as he goes through a harder labor and more severe pain?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)