|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XIX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to St. John, what happens when beginners try to build their own spirituality instead of waiting on God?
(a) They succeed.
(b) They become frustrated with the progress.
(c) They begin to influence other into sin.
(d) They begin to feel like they no longer need God.
2. In Book II, Chapter XII, what--more than understanding--will be imparted to the soul because of the will of God?
3. St. John says that the dark night causes the soul to gain a healthy respect for what?
4. From what part of the body does the dark night allow man to be free?
(a) The eyes.
(b) The heart.
(c) The lower half.
(d) The mind.
5. How many steps are on the ladder of love?
(c) A hundred.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say is a problem for the soul, especially in divine activities?
2. Who else can descend and ascend upon the spiritual ladder besides men, according to Book II, Chapter XIII?
3. A peaceful time with God will spark the spirit of what, according to the author?
4. Where must man walk to be protected from the evil of natural senses?
5. What does the spirit of a man search for in the darkness?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)