|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XIX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter X, what can people become if they do not recognize they are going through the dark night?
(c) More sinful.
2. St. John writes that a person experiencing the dark night might feel as if who has abandoned him?
(a) His family.
(c) His children.
(d) His friends.
3. What does the author say is a problem for the soul, especially in divine activities?
(a) Lack of faith.
(c) The lure of sin.
(d) Keeping secrets from God.
4. What is another name for avarice?
5. Once a soul has received the love from God after the dark night, it will only want to do what, as described by St. John?
(a) Pray for other's forgiveness.
(b) Pray for forgiveness.
(c) Commit sins.
(d) Work for and love God.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say the devil uses against beginners who have pride?
2. The seven deadly sins are recognized by what Christian community?
3. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, what does the secret ladder assist humans in reaching?
4. What authors quote a state of pain so extreme for the soul it can find no comfort?
5. During the dark night, what does the Christian want to do when the spirit of blasphemy descends, according to Book I, Chapter XIV?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)