|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XIX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is not encouraged to grow in a sensual friendship, according to Book I, Chapter IV?
(a) Love for others.
(b) Understanding for the other person.
(c) True relationships.
(d) The love of God.
2. According to the author, why must the soul forget all forms of natural love?
(a) To be reminded of sin.
(b) To appreciate divine love.
(c) To become more like God.
(d) To reflect the state of a baby.
3. In what is the soul enveloped before passing through the dark night?
(a) A cloud of darkness.
(b) Evil demons.
(c) A collection of angels.
(d) A pit of despair.
4. What happens to human senses, according to the author, when a human is in the darkness?
(a) They become strengthened.
(b) They are useless.
(c) They are mixed up.
(d) They are necessary.
5. To what does St. John compare a new Christian?
(a) A new baby.
(b) A cloud.
(c) A weed.
(d) A dying flower.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter VII, what will souls not believe when experiencing a dark night with so much pain?
2. Why does the soul become secure after passing through the dark night, according to St. John?
3. In Book II, Chapter XVII, who is given the knowledge of the divine?
4. According to St. John, one going through the dark night does not experience pleasure in what?
5. What happened to Jeremias and Moses after being infused with the wisdom of God?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)