|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XIX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the example the author uses in describing the way the purification process works?
(a) The changing seasons.
(b) The chopping down of a tree.
(c) The burning rays of the sun.
(d) The burning of a log in a fire.
2. What does the spirit of a man search for in the darkness?
(a) His soulmate.
(d) His soul.
3. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
(b) Breast milk.
(c) A cistern of water.
(d) Plant roots.
4. St. Johns states that believers react to God similarly to what?
(a) Changing wind.
(c) The sun and the moon.
5. What does St. John say affects Christians in a way that they are easily swayed by their senses and see imaginary visions?
(a) Actual imperfections.
(b) Spiritual luxury.
(c) God's punishments.
(d) Earthly pleasures.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to St. John, what strong desire does a new Christian experience?
2. What happens when there are periods of rest for the soul during the dark night?
3. According to St. John, what happens when beginners try to build their own spirituality instead of waiting on God?
4. In Book I, Chapter VI, what sin are new believers said to be especially prone to because of its sweetness?
5. In <i>Dark Night of the Soul</i>, the power of hell would have no power over the soul if there were no what in the human soul?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)