|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XIX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say the devil uses against beginners who have pride?
2. Why does the soul become secure after passing through the dark night, according to St. John?
(a) It has become like God.
(b) It has become strong in sin.
(c) It has found itself.
(d) It has forgiven God's mistakes.
3. In Book I, Chapter VI, what sin are new believers said to be especially prone to because of its sweetness?
4. It is necessary for the spirit and the sensual portion of man to be separated in order for what to happen, according to Book II, Chapter III?
(a) God's forgiveness.
(c) The second night of darkness.
(d) An entrance into heaven.
5. St. John writes that a person experiencing the dark night might feel as if who has abandoned him?
(a) His friends.
(b) His family.
(d) His children.
Short Answer Questions
1. St. John says that the dark night causes the soul to gain a healthy respect for what?
2. The author writes that the yearning for God will leave the soul in what state?
3. On what does the author expound, in Book I, Chapter XI?
4. In Book I, Chapter XII, the soul develops a fear of what during the dark night?
5. How many steps are on the ladder of love?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)