|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XIX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. It is necessary for the spirit and the sensual portion of man to be separated in order for what to happen, according to Book II, Chapter III?
(a) God's forgiveness.
(b) An entrance into heaven.
(c) The second night of darkness.
2. Where must man walk to be protected from the evil of natural senses?
(a) Through hell.
(b) In heaven.
(c) Around the world.
(d) In darkness.
3. St. John explains that beginners who have pride become impatient with whom?
(a) God and themselves.
(b) Loved ones.
4. How many important points are made in Book II, Chapter X, about the purification process?
5. What is the theme of Book I, Chapter IV?
(a) Lack of faith.
(b) God's wrath.
(c) Spiritual luxury.
(d) Faith and money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What example does the author use to describe divine light?
2. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
3. What might descend upon a Christian while he is going through the dark night, as described in the final chapter of Book I?
4. Who does the author cite as someone who has seen the spiritual ladder?
5. When entering into the dark night, what does God cause the soul of the person to simply desire, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)