|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XIX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the author use as an example of the yearning for God that takes place in the second night of darkness?
(a) Mary Magdalene.
(d) Mary, mother of Jesus.
2. In Book II, Chapter IX, what will a person become as he goes through a harder labor and more severe pain?
(a) More perfect.
(b) Less perfect.
(c) More desirable by God.
(d) More sinful.
3. According to St. John, what happens when beginners try to build their own spirituality instead of waiting on God?
(a) They begin to feel like they no longer need God.
(b) They succeed.
(c) They begin to influence other into sin.
(d) They become frustrated with the progress.
4. St. John's use of writing about a spiritual ladder as a path to unification with God is an example of what?
5. St. John says that the knowledge of the divine come to the soul in what way?
(a) By the power of the human mind.
(b) By rejecting sin.
(c) By the Holy Spirit.
(d) By battling evil.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XII, what--more than understanding--will be imparted to the soul because of the will of God?
2. St. John writes that because of the goodness of God's divine wisdom, the soul actually feels as if it is being what?
3. The author says the severity of the trials of a person going through the dark night depends on what?
4. According to Book II, Chapter XIV, why does the soul speak these lines: "I went forth without being observed / My house being now at rest"?
5. In Book II, Chapter XII, what is the will described as?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)