|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XIX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what part of the body does the dark night allow man to be free?
(a) The mind.
(b) The lower half.
(c) The heart.
(d) The eyes.
2. According to St. John, what kind of day is it when a man searches for God in a divine way instead of a human way?
3. What do beginning Christians feel happens when they grow in faith and deal with suffering for God's sake, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
(a) Their sins worsen.
(b) God draws closer to them.
(c) God suddenly abandons them.
(d) They no longer believe in their faith.
4. In Dark Night of the Soul, the spirit thirsts for love more than the soul thirsts because the spirit realizes what?
(a) God's punishment.
(b) How much pain relates to the divine.
(c) The evil of sin.
(d) What it lacks.
5. What might descend upon a Christian while he is going through the dark night, as described in the final chapter of Book I?
(a) Fits of insanity.
(b) A desire for secrets.
(c) A perverse or giddy spirit.
(d) A feeling of inner peace.
Short Answer Questions
1. St. John writes that a person experiencing the dark night might feel as if who has abandoned him?
2. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the first night purify?
3. What example does the author use to describe divine light?
4. According to St. John, what happens when beginners try to build their own spirituality instead of waiting on God?
5. In what kind of way would the soul respond to God's love if the senses were not numbed?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)