|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XIX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what can the fifth step of the ladder of love be compared?
(a) A priest and God.
(b) A starving person and food.
(c) A husband and wife.
(d) Children and parents.
2. St. Johns states that believers react to God similarly to what?
(a) Changing wind.
(b) The sun and the moon.
3. What does the soul become enkindled with during the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter X?
(a) The love of God.
(b) The weight of sin.
(c) Revulsion to faith.
(d) Repentance of sin.
4. What two things cannot exist in the same person?
(a) Desire and goodwill.
(b) Guilt and pride.
(c) God and the devil.
(d) The divine and the natural.
5. What happens to human senses, according to the author, when a human is in the darkness?
(a) They are useless.
(b) They are necessary.
(c) They are mixed up.
(d) They become strengthened.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter IX, what is required for a man to possess for his soul to be illuminated with divine light?
2. What is the theme of Book I, Chapter IV?
3. What does St. John say affects Christians in a way that they are easily swayed by their senses and see imaginary visions?
4. In Book II, Chapter VI, how many kinds of pain result from the meeting of the divine and human?
5. The purging of the soul in the feeling of poverty is compared to what in Book II, Chapter VI?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)