|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XIX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XI, when will the soul seek God?
(a) After God's punishment.
(b) After enkindlement.
(c) From birth.
(d) After death.
2. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
(a) A cistern of water.
(b) Plant roots.
(d) Breast milk.
3. What is another name for avarice?
4. Gluttony is exhibited when believers go to extremes and will not stop what?
(a) Being angry at others.
(b) Spiritual exercises.
(c) Having sexual affairs.
(d) Collecting money.
5. What does St. John say happens after a person is involved in spiritual activities for wrath to enter into a beginner's life?
(a) The person is lazy.
(b) The pleasure fades.
(c) There is no monetary gain.
(d) There is no further instruction from God.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is necessary for the spirit and the sensual portion of man to be separated in order for what to happen, according to Book II, Chapter III?
2. According to St. John, on what step does the soul seek to do something worthy of God without any favor from God?
3. What is not encouraged to grow in a sensual friendship, according to Book I, Chapter IV?
4. How does the soul change during the dark night?
5. Why does the soul become secure after passing through the dark night, according to St. John?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)