|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XIX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the soul has a more complete purging, according to the author?
(a) The better of a chance to backslide.
(b) The better of a chance to enter heaven.
(c) The more likely to sin.
(d) The closer to God a being will become.
2. The author states that impure thoughts from spiritual luxury are a result of the pleasure humans find in what?
(a) Spiritual things.
(c) Lust for others.
(d) Earthly things.
3. What is a type of pain felt during the dark night that is really not a problem, according to St. John?
(a) The inability to pray.
(b) The need to sin.
(c) The pain of guilt.
(d) The desire to reject God.
4. According to St. John, what kind of day is it when a man searches for God in a divine way instead of a human way?
5. The author says the severity of the trials of a person going through the dark night depends on what?
(a) The age of the person.
(b) The strength of the person's soul and faith.
(c) The severity of the person's sin.
(d) The wealth the person can offer the church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
2. In Book II, Chapter IV, what is purged on the second night of darkness?
3. What two things cannot exist in the same person?
4. In what kind of way would the soul respond to God's love if the senses were not numbed?
5. To what is the secret ladder a reference, as mentioned in Book II, Chapter XV?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)