|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does St. John compare a new Christian?
(a) A new baby.
(b) A dying flower.
(c) A cloud.
(d) A weed.
2. What does the author say is a problem for the soul, especially in divine activities?
(a) The lure of sin.
(b) Lack of faith.
(d) Keeping secrets from God.
3. Without passing through the dark night, the author says that people are still what of their natural desires and wants?
4. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the second night purify?
(a) The sensual.
(b) Spiritual luxury.
(c) The soul.
(d) God's love.
5. A peaceful time with God will spark the spirit of what, according to the author?
(b) God's mercy.
(c) Love in the soul.
(d) Contempt for sin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can a soul not see beyond until it has been properly purged?
2. In Book II, Chapter I, what does the beginning Christian become after passing through the dark night?
3. In Book II, Chapter IX, what is required for a man to possess for his soul to be illuminated with divine light?
4. St. John's use of writing about a spiritual ladder as a path to unification with God is an example of what?
5. According to St. John, people who have never experienced a dark night do not understand what this feels like?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)