|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, why must the soul forget all forms of natural love?
(a) To reflect the state of a baby.
(b) To appreciate divine love.
(c) To become more like God.
(d) To be reminded of sin.
2. The dark night refers to the darkness of what?
(a) The end of the world.
(b) Human guilt.
(c) Natural senses.
(d) Human sin.
3. What do beginning Christians feel happens when they grow in faith and deal with suffering for God's sake, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
(a) Their sins worsen.
(b) They no longer believe in their faith.
(c) God draws closer to them.
(d) God suddenly abandons them.
4. Once a soul has received the love from God after the dark night, it will only want to do what, as described by St. John?
(a) Commit sins.
(b) Pray for forgiveness.
(c) Pray for other's forgiveness.
(d) Work for and love God.
5. St. Johns states that believers react to God similarly to what?
(a) The sun and the moon.
(c) Changing wind.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter VII, what will souls not believe when experiencing a dark night with so much pain?
2. Why is the soul uncertain of finding its way out in the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter VII?
3. To what is the secret ladder a reference, as mentioned in Book II, Chapter XV?
4. That author writes that during the dark night while purging the soul, a Christian might feel so much pain that is seems as he is where?
5. When entering into the dark night, what does God cause the soul of the person to simply desire, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)