|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a type of pain felt during the dark night that is really not a problem, according to St. John?
(a) The need to sin.
(b) The pain of guilt.
(c) The inability to pray.
(d) The desire to reject God.
2. From what part of the body does the dark night allow man to be free?
(a) The lower half.
(b) The mind.
(c) The heart.
(d) The eyes.
3. As described in Book II, Chapter II, what are deeply rooted in the spirit of a person and must be removed by the purging of the soul?
(a) Spiritual imperfections.
(b) The seven deadly sins.
(c) Mortal sin.
(d) Habitual imperfections.
4. How many important points are made in Book II, Chapter X, about the purification process?
5. St. John writes that because of the goodness of God's divine wisdom, the soul actually feels as if it is being what?
Short Answer Questions
1. The example the author uses about purification illustrates an understanding of what concept?
2. Why does the soul become secure after passing through the dark night, according to St. John?
3. The author writes that the yearning for God will leave the soul in what state?
4. What is the theme of Book I, Chapter IV?
5. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the first night purify?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)