|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens at the same time the soul is yearning for God in Book II, Chapter XI?
(a) The forces of evil burn the soul.
(b) The love of friends gives comfort.
(c) The fire of God burns the soul.
(d) The comfort of God gives peace.
2. According to St. John, people who have never experienced a dark night do not understand what this feels like?
(b) Sin's grasp.
(c) Spiritual freedom.
(d) God's forgiveness.
3. On what does the author expound, in Book I, Chapter XI?
(a) A Bible verse.
(b) God's message to himself.
(c) The work of another author.
(d) The poem from the prologue.
4. In Book II, Chapter VII, what will souls not believe when experiencing a dark night with so much pain?
(a) The duty of man.
(b) The guilt of sin.
(c) The balance of nature.
(d) God loves them.
5. According to the author, why must the soul forget all forms of natural love?
(a) To be reminded of sin.
(b) To become more like God.
(c) To appreciate divine love.
(d) To reflect the state of a baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. St. John writes that because of the goodness of God's divine wisdom, the soul actually feels as if it is being what?
2. Why is the soul uncertain of finding its way out in the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter VII?
3. It is necessary for the spirit and the sensual portion of man to be separated in order for what to happen, according to Book II, Chapter III?
4. St. John says that it becomes clear which parts are purified and which are still not purified during what time in the dark night?
5. What might descend upon a Christian while he is going through the dark night, as described in the final chapter of Book I?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)