|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the soul uncertain of finding its way out in the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter VII?
(a) It does not know goodness.
(b) It wants to remain sinful.
(c) God has given no direction.
(d) It remembers its evils.
2. Without passing through the dark night, the author says that people are still what of their natural desires and wants?
3. From what part of the body does the dark night allow man to be free?
(a) The heart.
(b) The lower half.
(c) The mind.
(d) The eyes.
4. What might descend upon a Christian while he is going through the dark night, as described in the final chapter of Book I?
(a) A feeling of inner peace.
(b) Fits of insanity.
(c) A desire for secrets.
(d) A perverse or giddy spirit.
5. In Book II, Chapter VI, how many kinds of pain result from the meeting of the divine and human?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does St. John say a man has that will impede the process of unifying with God?
2. What is the topic of the prologue?
3. In Book I, Chapter XII, the soul develops a fear of what during the dark night?
4. What is the title of the poem that is introduced in the prologue?
5. According to St. John, what replaces spiritual anxiety after passing through the dark night?
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)