|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. St. John says that almost all beginners will experience what?
(a) Divine wisdom.
(b) Sensual purgation.
(c) Spiritual purgation.
2. What might descend upon a Christian while he is going through the dark night, as described in the final chapter of Book I?
(a) Fits of insanity.
(b) A feeling of inner peace.
(c) A perverse or giddy spirit.
(d) A desire for secrets.
3. What is the reason for the disturbances within a man during the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter VIII?
(a) The payment for sins.
(b) Man's destiny to suffer.
(c) Readiness for a life sacrifice.
(d) Readiness for a union with God.
4. According to St. John, what happens when beginners try to build their own spirituality instead of waiting on God?
(a) They succeed.
(b) They begin to feel like they no longer need God.
(c) They begin to influence other into sin.
(d) They become frustrated with the progress.
5. What example does the author use to describe divine light?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the soul has a more complete purging, according to the author?
2. What is the title of the poem that is introduced in the prologue?
3. How does the soul change during the dark night?
4. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the second night purify?
5. Once a soul has received the love from God after the dark night, it will only want to do what, as described by St. John?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)