|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to St. John, what happens when beginners try to build their own spirituality instead of waiting on God?
(a) They succeed.
(b) They begin to feel like they no longer need God.
(c) They begin to influence other into sin.
(d) They become frustrated with the progress.
2. During the dark night, what does the Christian want to do when the spirit of blasphemy descends, according to Book I, Chapter XIV?
(a) Commit suicide.
(b) Speak out in tongues.
(c) Obey all of God's commands.
(d) Speak out loud, blasphemous statements.
3. A peaceful time with God will spark the spirit of what, according to the author?
(a) God's mercy.
(c) Love in the soul.
(d) Contempt for sin.
4. When does the deadening of a person to the presence of sin get refreshed, according to the author?
(a) Whenever in prayer with God.
(b) During a weekly fast.
(c) The second night of purging.
(d) The first night of purging.
5. Why is the soul uncertain of finding its way out in the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter VII?
(a) It wants to remain sinful.
(b) It does not know goodness.
(c) God has given no direction.
(d) It remembers its evils.
Short Answer Questions
1. What example does the author use to describe divine light?
2. What happens at the same time the soul is yearning for God in Book II, Chapter XI?
3. What might descend upon a Christian while he is going through the dark night, as described in the final chapter of Book I?
4. According to St. John, what strong desire does a new Christian experience?
5. With what are the spirits in purgatory purged?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)