|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter VI, how many kinds of pain result from the meeting of the divine and human?
2. What is the name of the sin that occurs when a beginner hears another being praised and wants the praise for himself?
(b) Impure heart.
(c) Spiritual luxury.
(d) Spiritual envy.
3. What does God feed new beginners according to the author?
(c) Spiritual milk.
4. Once a soul has received the love from God after the dark night, it will only want to do what, as described by St. John?
(a) Pray for forgiveness.
(b) Commit sins.
(c) Pray for other's forgiveness.
(d) Work for and love God.
5. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the first night purify?
(a) The sensual.
(b) Mortal sin.
(d) The soul.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to St. John, what happens when beginners try to build their own spirituality instead of waiting on God?
2. What is the example the author uses in describing the way the purification process works?
3. St. John's use of writing about a spiritual ladder as a path to unification with God is an example of what?
4. What does St. John say happens after a person is involved in spiritual activities for wrath to enter into a beginner's life?
5. What object represents the passions of the natural man, according to Book II, Chapter XIV?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)