|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Dark Night of the Soul, the soul praises the darkness from which it has escaped what?
(a) Sensual affections.
(b) God's wrath.
(c) The danger zone.
(d) Mortal sin.
2. What is the title of the poem that is introduced in the prologue?
(a) "The Stanzas of the Soul."
(b) "Song of the Soul."
(c) "Mount Carmel."
(d) "Song of Songs."
3. In Dark Night of the Soul during the dark night, the soul learns that by itself it is what?
(b) Sinful and guilty.
(c) Worthless to the devil.
(d) Weak and miserable.
4. What is disturbed by divine purgation, according to Book II, Chapter VIII?
(b) The power of sin.
(d) The sleep cycle.
5. What might descend upon a Christian while he is going through the dark night, as described in the final chapter of Book I?
(a) Fits of insanity.
(b) A perverse or giddy spirit.
(c) A feeling of inner peace.
(d) A desire for secrets.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author states that impure thoughts from spiritual luxury are a result of the pleasure humans find in what?
2. The example the author uses about purification illustrates an understanding of what concept?
3. What do beginners have to go through to increase their strength and lose their imperfections, according to Book I, Chapter 1?
4. What object represents the passions of the natural man, according to Book II, Chapter XIV?
5. During the dark night according to the author, when attachments are stripped away, a Christian might feel as if what is happening?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)