|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the soul become enkindled with during the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter X?
(a) The love of God.
(b) Repentance of sin.
(c) The weight of sin.
(d) Revulsion to faith.
2. What does the spirit of a man search for in the darkness?
(b) His soul.
(c) His soulmate.
3. What authors quote a state of pain so extreme for the soul it can find no comfort?
(a) Jacob and Daniel.
(b) Job and Jeremias.
(c) Mark and Luke.
(d) Isaiah and Peter.
4. St. John writes that because of the goodness of God's divine wisdom, the soul actually feels as if it is being what?
5. The seven deadly sins are recognized by what Christian community?
(a) The Catholic Church.
(b) The Lutheran Church.
(c) The Baptist Church.
(d) The Pentecostal Church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the theme of Book I, Chapter IV?
2. What is not encouraged to grow in a sensual friendship, according to Book I, Chapter IV?
3. What is a type of pain felt during the dark night that is really not a problem, according to St. John?
4. What example does the author use to describe divine light?
5. In Book I, Chapter X, what can people become if they do not recognize they are going through the dark night?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)