|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. St. John's use of writing about a spiritual ladder as a path to unification with God is an example of what?
2. When a man searches for God in a divine way, the spirit and the soul of that person are transformed into what, according to Book II, Chapter V?
(a) An innocent child.
(b) A new person.
(c) A sinner.
(d) The likeness of God.
3. What does St. John say affects Christians in a way that they are easily swayed by their senses and see imaginary visions?
(a) God's punishments.
(b) Earthly pleasures.
(c) Actual imperfections.
(d) Spiritual luxury.
4. The soul starts to develop a habit of what during the dark night, as stated in Book I, Chapter XIII?
(a) Identifying sin.
(b) Strong temptation of sin.
(c) Remembrance of God.
(d) Peaceful sleep.
5. To what is the secret ladder a reference, as mentioned in Book II, Chapter XV?
(a) The stairs to heaven.
(b) The ladder of sin.
(c) The ladder of living faith.
(d) The path to becoming like God.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do beginning Christians feel happens when they grow in faith and deal with suffering for God's sake, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
2. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the first night purify?
3. According to St. John, one going through the dark night does not experience pleasure in what?
4. In Book II, Chapter VI, how many kinds of pain result from the meeting of the divine and human?
5. In Book II, Chapter IX, what will a person become as he goes through a harder labor and more severe pain?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)