|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author says the severity of the trials of a person going through the dark night depends on what?
(a) The age of the person.
(b) The wealth the person can offer the church.
(c) The severity of the person's sin.
(d) The strength of the person's soul and faith.
2. St. John says that it becomes clear which parts are purified and which are still not purified during what time in the dark night?
(a) The darkest point.
(b) The end.
(c) The beginning.
(d) Periods of rest.
3. According to St. John, what does the spirit of those who enter the dark night feel?
(c) God's desire.
(d) The weight of sin.
4. According to St. John, people who have never experienced a dark night do not understand what this feels like?
(a) God's forgiveness.
(c) Sin's grasp.
(d) Spiritual freedom.
5. During the dark night, what does the Christian want to do when the spirit of blasphemy descends, according to Book I, Chapter XIV?
(a) Speak out loud, blasphemous statements.
(b) Speak out in tongues.
(c) Obey all of God's commands.
(d) Commit suicide.
Short Answer Questions
1. St. John explains that beginners who have pride become impatient with whom?
2. Why is the soul uncertain of finding its way out in the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter VII?
3. That author writes that during the dark night while purging the soul, a Christian might feel so much pain that is seems as he is where?
4. According to St. John, one going through the dark night does not experience pleasure in what?
5. What is another name for avarice?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)