|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Beside the feelings of poverty, what is necessary to completely purge the spirit?
2. Once a soul has received the love from God after the dark night, it will only want to do what, as described by St. John?
(a) Commit sins.
(b) Work for and love God.
(c) Pray for other's forgiveness.
(d) Pray for forgiveness.
3. Beginners suffering from gluttony will find it hard to travel the "Road of" what, according to St. John?
(d) The Devil.
4. What do beginners have to go through to increase their strength and lose their imperfections, according to Book I, Chapter 1?
(a) A dark night.
(c) A journey through heaven.
(d) A baptism.
5. What is the example the author uses in describing the way the purification process works?
(a) The burning rays of the sun.
(b) The burning of a log in a fire.
(c) The chopping down of a tree.
(d) The changing seasons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say the soul experiences, even during the dark night?
2. As described in Book II, Chapter II, what are deeply rooted in the spirit of a person and must be removed by the purging of the soul?
3. The author says the severity of the trials of a person going through the dark night depends on what?
4. What is a type of pain felt during the dark night that is really not a problem, according to St. John?
5. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the first night purify?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)