|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Dark Night of the Soul, the power of hell would have no power over the soul if there were no what in the human soul?
(a) Hope of God.
(b) Spark of humanity.
(c) Desire for sin.
2. How does the soul change during the dark night?
(a) It becomes ready for heaven.
(b) It becomes "soft."
(c) It experiences a holy event.
(d) It "grows up."
3. What does God want to do with those who go through the most intense darkness of the dark night?
(a) Abandon them.
(b) Bring them closer.
(c) Sacrifice them.
(d) Purge all sin.
4. St. John says that almost all beginners will experience what?
(b) Sensual purgation.
(c) Spiritual purgation.
(d) Divine wisdom.
5. When entering into the dark night, what does God cause the soul of the person to simply desire, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
(a) Peace and nature.
(b) The company of a spiritual leader.
(c) Quiet and to be alone.
(d) The love of God and others.
Short Answer Questions
1. St. John says that it becomes clear which parts are purified and which are still not purified during what time in the dark night?
2. St. John writes that a person experiencing the dark night might feel as if who has abandoned him?
3. What is the title of the poem that is introduced in the prologue?
4. What might descend upon a Christian while he is going through the dark night, as described in the final chapter of Book I?
5. In Book II, Chapter XII, what--more than understanding--will be imparted to the soul because of the will of God?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)