|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what part of the body does the dark night allow man to be free?
(a) The eyes.
(b) The heart.
(c) The mind.
(d) The lower half.
2. In Book II, Chapter IV, what is purged on the second night of darkness?
(a) All mortal sins.
(b) Only the sensual part of the soul.
(c) Both parts of the soul together.
(d) All unclean thoughts.
3. In Book II, Chapter IX, what is required for a man to possess for his soul to be illuminated with divine light?
(b) Holy water.
(c) A speck of spiritual knowledge.
(d) God's favor.
4. St. John says that in periods of affliction during the dark night, the soul may feel as if what will never go away?
5. In Book I, Chapter X, what can people become if they do not recognize they are going through the dark night?
(c) More sinful.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does St. John compare a new Christian?
2. What does St. John say happens after a person is involved in spiritual activities for wrath to enter into a beginner's life?
3. Gluttony is exhibited when believers go to extremes and will not stop what?
4. What is a type of pain felt during the dark night that is really not a problem, according to St. John?
5. In Book II, Chapter VII, what will souls not believe when experiencing a dark night with so much pain?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)