|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. St. John writes that because of the goodness of God's divine wisdom, the soul actually feels as if it is being what?
2. The author states that impure thoughts from spiritual luxury are a result of the pleasure humans find in what?
(a) Spiritual things.
(b) Earthly things.
(d) Lust for others.
3. During the dark night, what does the Christian want to do when the spirit of blasphemy descends, according to Book I, Chapter XIV?
(a) Speak out in tongues.
(b) Commit suicide.
(c) Speak out loud, blasphemous statements.
(d) Obey all of God's commands.
4. When entering into the dark night, what does God cause the soul of the person to simply desire, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
(a) The company of a spiritual leader.
(b) Peace and nature.
(c) Quiet and to be alone.
(d) The love of God and others.
5. During the dark night according to the author, when attachments are stripped away, a Christian might feel as if what is happening?
(a) Being burned alive.
(b) Being eaten by a huge beast.
(c) Being very sick.
(d) Being free and flying.
Short Answer Questions
1. What might descend upon a Christian while he is going through the dark night, as described in the final chapter of Book I?
2. Where do the afflictions of the second night of darkness affect a man, as stated in Book II, Chapter VII?
3. According to St. John, what replaces spiritual anxiety after passing through the dark night?
4. According to St. John, what does the spirit of those who enter the dark night feel?
5. St. John says that almost all beginners will experience what?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)