|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The dark night refers to the darkness of what?
(a) The end of the world.
(b) Human sin.
(c) Natural senses.
(d) Human guilt.
2. When entering into the dark night, what does God cause the soul of the person to simply desire, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
(a) The love of God and others.
(b) Peace and nature.
(c) The company of a spiritual leader.
(d) Quiet and to be alone.
3. In Book II, Chapter VII, what will souls not believe when experiencing a dark night with so much pain?
(a) The guilt of sin.
(b) The balance of nature.
(c) God loves them.
(d) The duty of man.
4. What example does the author use to describe divine light?
5. In Book II, Chapter IV, what is purged on the second night of darkness?
(a) Only the sensual part of the soul.
(b) All unclean thoughts.
(c) Both parts of the soul together.
(d) All mortal sins.
Short Answer Questions
1. What might descend upon a Christian while he is going through the dark night, as described in the final chapter of Book I?
2. According to St. John, what happens when beginners try to build their own spirituality instead of waiting on God?
3. What does God want to do with those who go through the most intense darkness of the dark night?
4. The author says the severity of the trials of a person going through the dark night depends on what?
5. The purging of the soul in the feeling of poverty is compared to what in Book II, Chapter VI?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)