|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to St. John, what does the spirit of those who enter the dark night feel?
(a) The weight of sin.
(d) God's desire.
2. According to St. John, what happens when beginners try to build their own spirituality instead of waiting on God?
(a) They begin to influence other into sin.
(b) They become frustrated with the progress.
(c) They begin to feel like they no longer need God.
(d) They succeed.
3. In Book II, Chapter VI, how many kinds of pain result from the meeting of the divine and human?
4. Beginners suffering from gluttony will find it hard to travel the "Road of" what, according to St. John?
(d) The Devil.
5. In Book I, Chapter VII, what do beginners do when they hear others being praised?
(a) They get angry at those being praised.
(b) They get angry at God.
(c) They devalue the praise.
(d) They praise the others as well.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beside the feelings of poverty, what is necessary to completely purge the spirit?
2. St. John says that almost all beginners will experience what?
3. It is necessary for the spirit and the sensual portion of man to be separated in order for what to happen, according to Book II, Chapter III?
4. According to St. John, what replaces spiritual anxiety after passing through the dark night?
5. St. John writes that a person experiencing the dark night might feel as if who has abandoned him?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)