|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What example does the author use to describe divine light?
2. The author says the severity of the trials of a person going through the dark night depends on what?
(a) The age of the person.
(b) The strength of the person's soul and faith.
(c) The wealth the person can offer the church.
(d) The severity of the person's sin.
3. What do beginning Christians feel happens when they grow in faith and deal with suffering for God's sake, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
(a) They no longer believe in their faith.
(b) God draws closer to them.
(c) Their sins worsen.
(d) God suddenly abandons them.
4. What is disturbed by divine purgation, according to Book II, Chapter VIII?
(b) The sleep cycle.
(c) The power of sin.
5. To what does St. John compare a new Christian?
(a) A dying flower.
(b) A cloud.
(c) A new baby.
(d) A weed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What authors quote a state of pain so extreme for the soul it can find no comfort?
2. The purging of the soul in the feeling of poverty is compared to what in Book II, Chapter VI?
3. How does the soul change during the dark night?
4. What does St. John say happens after a person is involved in spiritual activities for wrath to enter into a beginner's life?
5. On what does the author expound, in Book I, Chapter XI?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)