|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the spirit of a man search for in the darkness?
(a) His soul.
(c) His soulmate.
2. According to St. John, what does the spirit of those who enter the dark night feel?
(b) The weight of sin.
(c) God's desire.
3. St. John says that almost all beginners will experience what?
(a) Spiritual purgation.
(b) Sensual purgation.
(c) Divine wisdom.
4. What does the author say is a problem for the soul, especially in divine activities?
(a) The lure of sin.
(b) Lack of faith.
(d) Keeping secrets from God.
5. The author states that impure thoughts from spiritual luxury are a result of the pleasure humans find in what?
(a) Lust for others.
(b) Earthly things.
(d) Spiritual things.
Short Answer Questions
1. What example does the author use to describe divine light?
2. St. John writes that a person experiencing the dark night might feel as if who has abandoned him?
3. What do beginning Christians feel happens when they grow in faith and deal with suffering for God's sake, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
4. In Book II, Chapter IV, what is purged on the second night of darkness?
5. St. Johns states that believers react to God similarly to what?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)