|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do beginners have to go through to increase their strength and lose their imperfections, according to Book I, Chapter 1?
(a) A baptism.
(b) A dark night.
(c) A journey through heaven.
2. To what does St. John compare a new Christian?
(a) A weed.
(b) A dying flower.
(c) A cloud.
(d) A new baby.
3. According to St. John, what does the spirit of those who enter the dark night feel?
(b) The weight of sin.
(c) God's desire.
4. St. John writes that a person experiencing the dark night might feel as if who has abandoned him?
(a) His family.
(b) His children.
(c) His friends.
5. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
(b) Plant roots.
(c) A cistern of water.
(d) Breast milk.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to St. John, what replaces spiritual anxiety after passing through the dark night?
2. What does God feed new beginners according to the author?
3. What example does the author use to describe divine light?
4. The seven deadly sins are recognized by what Christian community?
5. What is not encouraged to grow in a sensual friendship, according to Book I, Chapter IV?
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)