|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the soul change during the dark night?
(a) It experiences a holy event.
(b) It "grows up."
(c) It becomes ready for heaven.
(d) It becomes "soft."
2. What is the reason for the disturbances within a man during the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter VIII?
(a) Readiness for a union with God.
(b) Readiness for a life sacrifice.
(c) The payment for sins.
(d) Man's destiny to suffer.
3. In Book I, Chapter VI, what sin are new believers said to be especially prone to because of its sweetness?
4. To what does St. John compare a new Christian?
(a) A dying flower.
(b) A new baby.
(c) A weed.
(d) A cloud.
5. St. John says that the dark night causes the soul to gain a healthy respect for what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Gluttony is exhibited when believers go to extremes and will not stop what?
2. During the dark night, what does the Christian want to do when the spirit of blasphemy descends, according to Book I, Chapter XIV?
3. What example does the author use to describe divine light?
4. When entering into the dark night, what does God cause the soul of the person to simply desire, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
5. According to St. John, what strong desire does a new Christian experience?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)