|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the topic of the prologue?
(a) Other authors' works.
(b) The purpose of the book.
(c) A history of the Bible.
(d) The biography of the author.
2. According to St. John, what replaces spiritual anxiety after passing through the dark night?
3. The purging of the soul in the feeling of poverty is compared to what in Book II, Chapter VI?
(a) Wood in fire.
(b) The sun and the stars.
(c) Metal in fire.
(d) A rebirth.
4. What is the reason for the disturbances within a man during the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter VIII?
(a) Man's destiny to suffer.
(b) The payment for sins.
(c) Readiness for a life sacrifice.
(d) Readiness for a union with God.
5. In Book II, Chapter VI, how many kinds of pain result from the meeting of the divine and human?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do beginning Christians feel happens when they grow in faith and deal with suffering for God's sake, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
2. What is the title of the poem that is introduced in the prologue?
3. According to St. John, what happens when beginners try to build their own spirituality instead of waiting on God?
4. St. John says that the dark night causes the soul to gain a healthy respect for what?
5. On what does the author expound, in Book I, Chapter XI?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)