|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the soul uncertain of finding its way out in the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter VII?
(a) It remembers its evils.
(b) God has given no direction.
(c) It does not know goodness.
(d) It wants to remain sinful.
2. In Book II, Chapter IX, what is required for a man to possess for his soul to be illuminated with divine light?
(a) Holy water.
(c) God's favor.
(d) A speck of spiritual knowledge.
3. In Book II, Chapter VI, how many kinds of pain result from the meeting of the divine and human?
4. Gluttony is exhibited when believers go to extremes and will not stop what?
(a) Spiritual exercises.
(b) Being angry at others.
(c) Collecting money.
(d) Having sexual affairs.
5. In Book II, Chapter IV, what is purged on the second night of darkness?
(a) Only the sensual part of the soul.
(b) All mortal sins.
(c) Both parts of the soul together.
(d) All unclean thoughts.
Short Answer Questions
1. St. John writes that a person experiencing the dark night might feel as if who has abandoned him?
2. What does St. John say affects Christians in a way that they are easily swayed by their senses and see imaginary visions?
3. When entering into the dark night, what does God cause the soul of the person to simply desire, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
4. St. John explains that beginners who have pride become impatient with whom?
5. According to St. John, one going through the dark night does not experience pleasure in what?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)