|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A peaceful time with God will spark the spirit of what, according to the author?
(a) Love in the soul.
(b) God's mercy.
(c) Contempt for sin.
2. What do beginners have to go through to increase their strength and lose their imperfections, according to Book I, Chapter 1?
(a) A dark night.
(b) A journey through heaven.
(c) A baptism.
3. In Book II, Chapter IX, what is required for a man to possess for his soul to be illuminated with divine light?
(b) Holy water.
(c) A speck of spiritual knowledge.
(d) God's favor.
4. According to St. John, what strong desire does a new Christian experience?
(a) Sensual pleasure.
(b) A thirst for God.
(c) A need for acceptance.
(d) The desire to be good.
5. What does the author say the devil uses against beginners who have pride?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter VII, what will souls not believe when experiencing a dark night with so much pain?
2. What is a type of pain felt during the dark night that is really not a problem, according to St. John?
3. How does the soul change during the dark night?
4. In Book II, Chapter IV, what is purged on the second night of darkness?
5. In Book I, Chapter II, what sin do beginners exhibit when they choose leaders who agree with their views?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)