|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what does the author expound, in Book I, Chapter XI?
(a) God's message to himself.
(b) A Bible verse.
(c) The poem from the prologue.
(d) The work of another author.
2. In Book II, Chapter VI, how many kinds of pain result from the meeting of the divine and human?
3. Beside the feelings of poverty, what is necessary to completely purge the spirit?
4. What is the title of the poem that is introduced in the prologue?
(a) "Song of the Soul."
(b) "Song of Songs."
(c) "The Stanzas of the Soul."
(d) "Mount Carmel."
5. In Book I, Chapter XII, the soul develops a fear of what during the dark night?
(c) Other's love.
(d) God's love.
Short Answer Questions
1. St. John explains that beginners who have pride become impatient with whom?
2. As described in Book II, Chapter II, what are deeply rooted in the spirit of a person and must be removed by the purging of the soul?
3. In Book I, Chapter VII, what do beginners do when they hear others being praised?
4. When entering into the dark night, what does God cause the soul of the person to simply desire, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
5. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the first night purify?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)