|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The soul starts to develop a habit of what during the dark night, as stated in Book I, Chapter XIII?
(a) Identifying sin.
(b) Peaceful sleep.
(c) Remembrance of God.
(d) Strong temptation of sin.
2. It is necessary for the spirit and the sensual portion of man to be separated in order for what to happen, according to Book II, Chapter III?
(a) God's forgiveness.
(b) The second night of darkness.
(c) An entrance into heaven.
3. What do beginning Christians feel happens when they grow in faith and deal with suffering for God's sake, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
(a) They no longer believe in their faith.
(b) Their sins worsen.
(c) God draws closer to them.
(d) God suddenly abandons them.
4. In Book II, Chapter VI, how many kinds of pain result from the meeting of the divine and human?
5. On what does the author expound, in Book I, Chapter XI?
(a) God's message to himself.
(b) A Bible verse.
(c) The poem from the prologue.
(d) The work of another author.
Short Answer Questions
1. St. John writes that because of the goodness of God's divine wisdom, the soul actually feels as if it is being what?
2. During the dark night according to the author, when attachments are stripped away, a Christian might feel as if what is happening?
3. In Book II, Chapter I, what does the beginning Christian become after passing through the dark night?
4. In Book II, Chapter IV, what is purged on the second night of darkness?
5. In Book I, Chapter VII, what do beginners do when they hear others being praised?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)