|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter VI, what sin are new believers said to be especially prone to because of its sweetness?
2. From what part of the body does the dark night allow man to be free?
(a) The eyes.
(b) The mind.
(c) The heart.
(d) The lower half.
3. What does St. John say happens after a person is involved in spiritual activities for wrath to enter into a beginner's life?
(a) The pleasure fades.
(b) There is no further instruction from God.
(c) The person is lazy.
(d) There is no monetary gain.
4. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
(a) Breast milk.
(b) Plant roots.
(d) A cistern of water.
5. According to St. John, what kind of day is it when a man searches for God in a divine way instead of a human way?
Short Answer Questions
1. The soul starts to develop a habit of what during the dark night, as stated in Book I, Chapter XIII?
2. What is another name for avarice?
3. In Book II, Chapter I, what does the beginning Christian become after passing through the dark night?
4. The dark night refers to the darkness of what?
5. According to St. John, what strong desire does a new Christian experience?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)