|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to St. John, one going through the dark night does not experience pleasure in what?
(a) Committing sin.
(b) Anything spiritual.
(c) Anything spiritual or physical.
(d) Anything physical.
2. In Book I, Chapter VI, what sin are new believers said to be especially prone to because of its sweetness?
3. A peaceful time with God will spark the spirit of what, according to the author?
(a) Contempt for sin.
(c) Love in the soul.
(d) God's mercy.
4. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the first night purify?
(a) The sensual.
(b) Mortal sin.
(c) The soul.
5. The author says the severity of the trials of a person going through the dark night depends on what?
(a) The wealth the person can offer the church.
(b) The strength of the person's soul and faith.
(c) The severity of the person's sin.
(d) The age of the person.
Short Answer Questions
1. St. John says that almost all beginners will experience what?
2. What does God want to do with those who go through the most intense darkness of the dark night?
3. What do beginning Christians feel happens when they grow in faith and deal with suffering for God's sake, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
4. According to St. John, what does the spirit of those who enter the dark night feel?
5. The purging of the soul in the feeling of poverty is compared to what in Book II, Chapter VI?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)