|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When entering into the dark night, what does God cause the soul of the person to simply desire, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
(a) Quiet and to be alone.
(b) Peace and nature.
(c) The love of God and others.
(d) The company of a spiritual leader.
2. Beside the feelings of poverty, what is necessary to completely purge the spirit?
3. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the second night purify?
(a) God's love.
(b) The soul.
(c) The sensual.
(d) Spiritual luxury.
4. According to St. John, what kind of day is it when a man searches for God in a divine way instead of a human way?
5. St. Johns states that believers react to God similarly to what?
(a) The sun and the moon.
(d) Changing wind.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author states that impure thoughts from spiritual luxury are a result of the pleasure humans find in what?
2. St. John says that almost all beginners will experience what?
3. A peaceful time with God will spark the spirit of what, according to the author?
4. From what part of the body does the dark night allow man to be free?
5. According to St. John, what happens when beginners try to build their own spirituality instead of waiting on God?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)