|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book I, Chapter XII | Book I, Chapter XIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. St. John explains that beginners who have pride become impatient with whom?
(c) God and themselves.
(d) Loved ones.
2. Gluttony is exhibited when believers go to extremes and will not stop what?
(a) Spiritual exercises.
(b) Having sexual affairs.
(c) Collecting money.
(d) Being angry at others.
3. In Book I, Chapter VII, what do beginners do when they hear others being praised?
(a) They get angry at God.
(b) They praise the others as well.
(c) They get angry at those being praised.
(d) They devalue the praise.
4. What is the topic of the prologue?
(a) The biography of the author.
(b) Other authors' works.
(c) The purpose of the book.
(d) A history of the Bible.
5. The author states that impure thoughts from spiritual luxury are a result of the pleasure humans find in what?
(a) Earthly things.
(b) Spiritual things.
(d) Lust for others.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter V, beginners fall victim to wrath when they lets the sins of other do what?
2. According to St. John, what happens when beginners try to build their own spirituality instead of waiting on God?
3. In Book I, Chapter XII, the soul develops a fear of what during the dark night?
4. In Book I, Chapter III, what is the rosary made of?
5. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)