|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book I, Chapter XII | Book I, Chapter XIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A peaceful time with God will spark the spirit of what, according to the author?
(a) Love in the soul.
(b) God's mercy.
(d) Contempt for sin.
2. According to St. John, what does the spirit of those who enter the dark night feel?
(b) The weight of sin.
(c) God's desire.
3. What is the name of the sin that occurs when a beginner hears another being praised and wants the praise for himself?
(a) Spiritual envy.
(b) Spiritual luxury.
(c) Impure heart.
4. What is the title of the poem that is introduced in the prologue?
(a) "The Stanzas of the Soul."
(b) "Mount Carmel."
(c) "Song of Songs."
(d) "Song of the Soul."
5. To what does St. John compare a new Christian?
(a) A cloud.
(b) A dying flower.
(c) A new baby.
(d) A weed.
Short Answer Questions
1. The soul starts to develop a habit of what during the dark night, as stated in Book I, Chapter XIII?
2. The seven deadly sins are recognized by what Christian community?
3. On what does the author expound, in Book I, Chapter XI?
4. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the first night purify?
5. In Book I, Chapter V, beginners fall victim to wrath when they lets the sins of other do what?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)