|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book I, Chapter XII | Book I, Chapter XIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter VI, what sin are new believers said to be especially prone to because of its sweetness?
2. St. John says that the dark night causes the soul to gain a healthy respect for what?
3. Gluttony is exhibited when believers go to extremes and will not stop what?
(a) Being angry at others.
(b) Spiritual exercises.
(c) Collecting money.
(d) Having sexual affairs.
4. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
(a) Plant roots.
(b) Breast milk.
(d) A cistern of water.
5. The author states that impure thoughts from spiritual luxury are a result of the pleasure humans find in what?
(a) Lust for others.
(b) Spiritual things.
(d) Earthly things.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter II, what sin do beginners exhibit when they choose leaders who agree with their views?
2. In Dark Night of the Soul during the dark night, the soul learns that by itself it is what?
3. A peaceful time with God will spark the spirit of what, according to the author?
4. In Book I, Chapter V, beginners fall victim to wrath when they lets the sins of other do what?
5. In Book I, Chapter XII, the soul develops a fear of what during the dark night?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)