|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book I, Chapter XII | Book I, Chapter XIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is not encouraged to grow in a sensual friendship, according to Book I, Chapter IV?
(a) Love for others.
(b) The love of God.
(c) True relationships.
(d) Understanding for the other person.
2. According to St. John, what strong desire does a new Christian experience?
(a) A need for acceptance.
(b) A thirst for God.
(c) The desire to be good.
(d) Sensual pleasure.
3. From what part of the body does the dark night allow man to be free?
(a) The lower half.
(b) The eyes.
(c) The mind.
(d) The heart.
4. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
(a) A cistern of water.
(b) Plant roots.
(c) Breast milk.
5. In Book I, Chapter III, what is the rosary made of?
(a) Animal teeth.
(c) Spines of a fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter VI, what sin are new believers said to be especially prone to because of its sweetness?
2. How does the soul change during the dark night?
3. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the first night purify?
4. What is the title of the poem that is introduced in the prologue?
5. A peaceful time with God will spark the spirit of what, according to the author?
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)