|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book I, Chapter XII | Book I, Chapter XIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to St. John, what does the spirit of those who enter the dark night feel?
(b) God's desire.
(d) The weight of sin.
2. What is the title of the poem that is introduced in the prologue?
(a) "The Stanzas of the Soul."
(b) "Mount Carmel."
(c) "Song of the Soul."
(d) "Song of Songs."
3. From what part of the body does the dark night allow man to be free?
(a) The eyes.
(b) The mind.
(c) The heart.
(d) The lower half.
4. In Book I, Chapter VII, what do beginners do when they hear others being praised?
(a) They get angry at God.
(b) They praise the others as well.
(c) They devalue the praise.
(d) They get angry at those being praised.
5. According to St. John, one going through the dark night does not experience pleasure in what?
(a) Anything spiritual or physical.
(b) Anything spiritual.
(c) Committing sin.
(d) Anything physical.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the sin that occurs when a beginner hears another being praised and wants the praise for himself?
2. In Dark Night of the Soul, with what do slothful Christians have trouble aligning themselves?
3. According to St. John, what happens when beginners try to build their own spirituality instead of waiting on God?
4. St. John says that the dark night causes the soul to gain a healthy respect for what?
5. What do beginning Christians feel happens when they grow in faith and deal with suffering for God's sake, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)