|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book I, Chapter XII | Book I, Chapter XIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
(b) Plant roots.
(c) Breast milk.
(d) A cistern of water.
2. In Book I, Chapter VII, what do beginners do when they hear others being praised?
(a) They get angry at God.
(b) They praise the others as well.
(c) They get angry at those being praised.
(d) They devalue the praise.
3. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the second night purify?
(a) God's love.
(b) Spiritual luxury.
(c) The soul.
(d) The sensual.
4. In Book I, Chapter III, what is the rosary made of?
(c) Spines of a fish.
(d) Animal teeth.
5. What does St. John say happens after a person is involved in spiritual activities for wrath to enter into a beginner's life?
(a) There is no further instruction from God.
(b) There is no monetary gain.
(c) The pleasure fades.
(d) The person is lazy.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author states that impure thoughts from spiritual luxury are a result of the pleasure humans find in what?
2. What does the author say the devil uses against beginners who have pride?
3. According to St. John, what happens when beginners try to build their own spirituality instead of waiting on God?
4. When entering into the dark night, what does God cause the soul of the person to simply desire, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
5. According to St. John, what strong desire does a new Christian experience?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)