|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book I, Chapter XII | Book I, Chapter XIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what part of the body does the dark night allow man to be free?
(a) The heart.
(b) The eyes.
(c) The lower half.
(d) The mind.
2. To what does St. John compare a new Christian?
(a) A weed.
(b) A dying flower.
(c) A new baby.
(d) A cloud.
3. In Book I, Chapter VII, what do beginners do when they hear others being praised?
(a) They praise the others as well.
(b) They get angry at God.
(c) They devalue the praise.
(d) They get angry at those being praised.
4. What is the theme of Book I, Chapter IV?
(a) Lack of faith.
(b) Spiritual luxury.
(c) Faith and money.
(d) God's wrath.
5. In Dark Night of the Soul during the dark night, the soul learns that by itself it is what?
(a) Sinful and guilty.
(b) Weak and miserable.
(c) Worthless to the devil.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to St. John, what does the spirit of those who enter the dark night feel?
2. When entering into the dark night, what does God cause the soul of the person to simply desire, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
3. What do beginning Christians feel happens when they grow in faith and deal with suffering for God's sake, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
4. In Book I, Chapter II, what sin do beginners exhibit when they choose leaders who agree with their views?
5. What is the title of the poem that is introduced in the prologue?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)