|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book I, Chapter XII | Book I, Chapter XIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is not encouraged to grow in a sensual friendship, according to Book I, Chapter IV?
(a) The love of God.
(b) True relationships.
(c) Love for others.
(d) Understanding for the other person.
2. The soul starts to develop a habit of what during the dark night, as stated in Book I, Chapter XIII?
(a) Identifying sin.
(b) Strong temptation of sin.
(c) Remembrance of God.
(d) Peaceful sleep.
3. From what part of the body does the dark night allow man to be free?
(a) The lower half.
(b) The heart.
(c) The eyes.
(d) The mind.
4. How does the soul change during the dark night?
(a) It becomes "soft."
(b) It becomes ready for heaven.
(c) It experiences a holy event.
(d) It "grows up."
5. When entering into the dark night, what does God cause the soul of the person to simply desire, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
(a) The company of a spiritual leader.
(b) Peace and nature.
(c) The love of God and others.
(d) Quiet and to be alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gluttony is exhibited when believers go to extremes and will not stop what?
2. The seven deadly sins are recognized by what Christian community?
3. What is the name of the sin that occurs when a beginner hears another being praised and wants the praise for himself?
4. In Book I, Chapter V, beginners fall victim to wrath when they lets the sins of other do what?
5. According to St. John, what happens when beginners try to build their own spirituality instead of waiting on God?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)