|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book I, Chapter XII | Book I, Chapter XIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does St. John say happens after a person is involved in spiritual activities for wrath to enter into a beginner's life?
(a) There is no monetary gain.
(b) The pleasure fades.
(c) The person is lazy.
(d) There is no further instruction from God.
2. To what does St. John compare a new Christian?
(a) A new baby.
(b) A weed.
(c) A dying flower.
(d) A cloud.
3. St. John says that the dark night causes the soul to gain a healthy respect for what?
4. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
(a) Breast milk.
(c) Plant roots.
(d) A cistern of water.
5. According to St. John, one going through the dark night does not experience pleasure in what?
(a) Committing sin.
(b) Anything spiritual.
(c) Anything physical.
(d) Anything spiritual or physical.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the poem that is introduced in the prologue?
2. On what does the author expound, in Book I, Chapter XI?
3. In Book I, Chapter II, what sin do beginners exhibit when they choose leaders who agree with their views?
4. A peaceful time with God will spark the spirit of what, according to the author?
5. What is not encouraged to grow in a sensual friendship, according to Book I, Chapter IV?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)