|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book I, Chapter XII | Book I, Chapter XIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to St. John, what strong desire does a new Christian experience?
(a) The desire to be good.
(b) A need for acceptance.
(c) A thirst for God.
(d) Sensual pleasure.
2. St. John says that almost all beginners will experience what?
(a) Sensual purgation.
(c) Divine wisdom.
(d) Spiritual purgation.
3. What does God feed new beginners according to the author?
(b) Spiritual milk.
4. According to St. John, what does the spirit of those who enter the dark night feel?
(a) God's desire.
(d) The weight of sin.
5. What is the name of the sin that occurs when a beginner hears another being praised and wants the praise for himself?
(b) Spiritual envy.
(c) Impure heart.
(d) Spiritual luxury.
Short Answer Questions
1. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
2. What is the title of the poem that is introduced in the prologue?
3. St. John explains that beginners who have pride become impatient with whom?
4. On what does the author expound, in Book I, Chapter XI?
5. To what does St. John compare a new Christian?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)