|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book I, Chapter VIII | Book I, Chapter IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say the devil uses against beginners who have pride?
2. In Book I, Chapter V, beginners fall victim to wrath when they lets the sins of other do what?
(b) Influence decisions.
(c) Irritate them.
(d) Enter their lives.
3. To what does St. John compare a new Christian?
(a) A new baby.
(b) A dying flower.
(c) A cloud.
(d) A weed.
4. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the first night purify?
(b) The sensual.
(c) Mortal sin.
(d) The soul.
5. The author states that impure thoughts from spiritual luxury are a result of the pleasure humans find in what?
(a) Spiritual things.
(b) Earthly things.
(c) Lust for others.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to St. John, what happens when beginners try to build their own spirituality instead of waiting on God?
2. What is the topic of the prologue?
3. Beginners suffering from gluttony will find it hard to travel the "Road of" what, according to St. John?
4. According to St. John, one going through the dark night does not experience pleasure in what?
5. What does God feed new beginners according to the author?
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)