|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book I, Chapter VIII | Book I, Chapter IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of the poem that is introduced in the prologue?
(a) "Mount Carmel."
(b) "Song of Songs."
(c) "Song of the Soul."
(d) "The Stanzas of the Soul."
2. Who is the author of Dark Night of the Soul?
(a) St. Michael.
(b) St. Ignatius.
(c) St. John.
(d) St. Patrick.
3. St. John says that almost all beginners will experience what?
(a) Sensual purgation.
(c) Divine wisdom.
(d) Spiritual purgation.
4. What is not encouraged to grow in a sensual friendship, according to Book I, Chapter IV?
(a) True relationships.
(b) Love for others.
(c) The love of God.
(d) Understanding for the other person.
5. According to St. John, what happens when beginners try to build their own spirituality instead of waiting on God?
(a) They become frustrated with the progress.
(b) They begin to feel like they no longer need God.
(c) They succeed.
(d) They begin to influence other into sin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does St. John say happens after a person is involved in spiritual activities for wrath to enter into a beginner's life?
2. In Book I, Chapter V, beginners fall victim to wrath when they lets the sins of other do what?
3. To what does St. John compare a new Christian?
4. In Dark Night of the Soul, with what do slothful Christians have trouble aligning themselves?
5. In Book I, Chapter VI, what sin are new believers said to be especially prone to because of its sweetness?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)