|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book I, Chapter VIII | Book I, Chapter IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Beginners suffering from gluttony will find it hard to travel the "Road of" what, according to St. John?
(d) The Devil.
2. What do beginning Christians feel happens when they grow in faith and deal with suffering for God's sake, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
(a) Their sins worsen.
(b) God suddenly abandons them.
(c) God draws closer to them.
(d) They no longer believe in their faith.
3. What is the topic of the prologue?
(a) The purpose of the book.
(b) Other authors' works.
(c) A history of the Bible.
(d) The biography of the author.
4. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the second night purify?
(a) God's love.
(b) Spiritual luxury.
(c) The sensual.
(d) The soul.
5. What is another name for avarice?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter II, what sin do beginners exhibit when they choose leaders who agree with their views?
2. In Dark Night of the Soul, with what do slothful Christians have trouble aligning themselves?
3. What is the name of the sin that occurs when a beginner hears another being praised and wants the praise for himself?
4. St. John explains that beginners who have pride become impatient with whom?
5. According to St. John, one going through the dark night does not experience pleasure in what?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)