|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book I, Chapter VIII | Book I, Chapter IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the sin that occurs when a beginner hears another being praised and wants the praise for himself?
(a) Impure heart.
(b) Spiritual luxury.
(c) Spiritual envy.
2. In Book I, Chapter III, what is the rosary made of?
(c) Animal teeth.
(d) Spines of a fish.
3. When entering into the dark night, what does God cause the soul of the person to simply desire, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
(a) The company of a spiritual leader.
(b) Quiet and to be alone.
(c) Peace and nature.
(d) The love of God and others.
4. According to St. John, what happens when beginners try to build their own spirituality instead of waiting on God?
(a) They begin to feel like they no longer need God.
(b) They succeed.
(c) They begin to influence other into sin.
(d) They become frustrated with the progress.
5. What is another name for avarice?
Short Answer Questions
1. The author states that impure thoughts from spiritual luxury are a result of the pleasure humans find in what?
2. What is not encouraged to grow in a sensual friendship, according to Book I, Chapter IV?
3. Gluttony is exhibited when believers go to extremes and will not stop what?
4. What does the author say the devil uses against beginners who have pride?
5. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the second night purify?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)