|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book I, Chapter VIII | Book I, Chapter IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the second night purify?
(a) The sensual.
(b) God's love.
(c) Spiritual luxury.
(d) The soul.
2. What is the name of the sin that occurs when a beginner hears another being praised and wants the praise for himself?
(b) Spiritual envy.
(c) Impure heart.
(d) Spiritual luxury.
3. According to St. John, one going through the dark night does not experience pleasure in what?
(a) Committing sin.
(b) Anything spiritual or physical.
(c) Anything physical.
(d) Anything spiritual.
4. What is another name for avarice?
5. St. John explains that beginners who have pride become impatient with whom?
(b) Loved ones.
(d) God and themselves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say the devil uses against beginners who have pride?
2. According to St. John, what happens when beginners try to build their own spirituality instead of waiting on God?
3. The author states that impure thoughts from spiritual luxury are a result of the pleasure humans find in what?
4. To what does St. John compare a new Christian?
5. In Book I, Chapter VII, what do beginners do when they hear others being praised?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)