|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book I, Chapter VIII | Book I, Chapter IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of the poem that is introduced in the prologue?
(a) "The Stanzas of the Soul."
(b) "Mount Carmel."
(c) "Song of Songs."
(d) "Song of the Soul."
2. According to St. John, what happens when beginners try to build their own spirituality instead of waiting on God?
(a) They become frustrated with the progress.
(b) They succeed.
(c) They begin to influence other into sin.
(d) They begin to feel like they no longer need God.
3. What is not encouraged to grow in a sensual friendship, according to Book I, Chapter IV?
(a) Love for others.
(b) True relationships.
(c) Understanding for the other person.
(d) The love of God.
4. When entering into the dark night, what does God cause the soul of the person to simply desire, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
(a) The company of a spiritual leader.
(b) The love of God and others.
(c) Peace and nature.
(d) Quiet and to be alone.
5. To what does St. John compare a new Christian?
(a) A new baby.
(b) A cloud.
(c) A dying flower.
(d) A weed.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter VII, what do beginners do when they hear others being praised?
2. According to St. John, one going through the dark night does not experience pleasure in what?
3. What does the author say the devil uses against beginners who have pride?
4. In Book I, Chapter III, what is the rosary made of?
5. What is the topic of the prologue?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)