|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The example the author uses about purification illustrates an understanding of what concept?
(a) The purging of the spirit by leaving behind sin.
(b) The purging of the soul by divine love.
(c) The strengthening of the soul by sin.
(d) The strengthening of the spirit by God's wrath.
2. What is the main topic of Book II, Chapter XVII?
(a) The temptation of sin.
(b) Secret knowledge.
(c) God's fury.
(d) The path to heaven.
3. According to St. John, one going through the dark night does not experience pleasure in what?
(a) Anything physical.
(b) Anything spiritual or physical.
(c) Anything spiritual.
(d) Committing sin.
4. St. John explains that beginners who have pride become impatient with whom?
(b) Loved ones.
(d) God and themselves.
5. In Book I, Chapter XII, the soul develops a fear of what during the dark night?
(b) Other's love.
(d) God's love.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the deadening of a person to the presence of sin get refreshed, according to the author?
2. How does the author compare God's trail as He leads the soul on the journey through the dark night?
3. When is a person supposed to start climbing the secret ladder?
4. St. John says that the dark night causes the soul to gain a healthy respect for what?
5. What does the spirit of a man search for in the darkness?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)