|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author describe as the reason for the underlying pain of the soul in preparation with a union with God?
(a) The underlying impurity of the soul.
(b) The payment of sin.
(c) The balance of the world.
(d) God's demands of revenge.
2. In Book II, Chapter IX, what will a person become as he goes through a harder labor and more severe pain?
(a) More perfect.
(b) Less perfect.
(c) More desirable by God.
(d) More sinful.
3. What is the example the author uses in describing the way the purification process works?
(a) The chopping down of a tree.
(b) The changing seasons.
(c) The burning of a log in a fire.
(d) The burning rays of the sun.
4. The dark night refers to the darkness of what?
(a) Human sin.
(b) Natural senses.
(c) Human guilt.
(d) The end of the world.
5. How many important points are made in Book II, Chapter X, about the purification process?
Short Answer Questions
1. It is necessary for the spirit and the sensual portion of man to be separated in order for what to happen, according to Book II, Chapter III?
2. St. Johns states that believers react to God similarly to what?
3. The soul starts to develop a habit of what during the dark night, as stated in Book I, Chapter XIII?
4. When entering into the dark night, what does God cause the soul of the person to simply desire, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
5. St. John says that the dark night causes the soul to gain a healthy respect for what?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)