|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main topic of discussion in Book II, Chapter XV?
(a) The second stanza of the poem.
(b) A chapter from the Bible.
(c) The author's beliefs on marriage.
(d) The first stanza of the poem.
2. What two things cannot exist in the same person?
(a) God and the devil.
(b) The divine and the natural.
(c) Guilt and pride.
(d) Desire and goodwill.
3. St. John says that in periods of affliction during the dark night, the soul may feel as if what will never go away?
4. Where do the afflictions of the second night of darkness affect a man, as stated in Book II, Chapter VII?
(a) In his passion for sin.
(b) In his will and soul.
(c) In his love for God.
(d) In his sensual areas.
5. According to the author, why must the soul forget all forms of natural love?
(a) To appreciate divine love.
(b) To become more like God.
(c) To be reminded of sin.
(d) To reflect the state of a baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the sin that occurs when a beginner hears another being praised and wants the praise for himself?
2. In Book I, Chapter XII, the soul develops a fear of what during the dark night?
3. What does St. John say a man has that will impede the process of unifying with God?
4. In Dark Night of the Soul during the dark night, the soul learns that by itself it is what?
5. When the souls on earth are purged, with what do they become infused, according to Book II, Chapter XII?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)