|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the soul find in the dark night that it must face, according to Book II, Chapter IX?
2. St. John says that it becomes clear which parts are purified and which are still not purified during what time in the dark night?
(a) The beginning.
(b) The darkest point.
(c) Periods of rest.
(d) The end.
3. According to St. John, one going through the dark night does not experience pleasure in what?
(a) Anything spiritual.
(b) Committing sin.
(c) Anything spiritual or physical.
(d) Anything physical.
4. Why is the soul uncertain of finding its way out in the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter VII?
(a) It does not know goodness.
(b) God has given no direction.
(c) It remembers its evils.
(d) It wants to remain sinful.
5. What is the example the author uses in describing the way the purification process works?
(a) The changing seasons.
(b) The burning of a log in a fire.
(c) The burning rays of the sun.
(d) The chopping down of a tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. Without passing through the dark night, the author says that people are still what of their natural desires and wants?
2. In Dark Night of the Soul, the power of hell would have no power over the soul if there were no what in the human soul?
3. What does St. John say a man has that will impede the process of unifying with God?
4. According to St. John, people who have never experienced a dark night do not understand what this feels like?
5. With what are the spirits in purgatory purged?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)