|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the soul has a more complete purging, according to the author?
(a) The better of a chance to backslide.
(b) The closer to God a being will become.
(c) The better of a chance to enter heaven.
(d) The more likely to sin.
2. The soul starts to develop a habit of what during the dark night, as stated in Book I, Chapter XIII?
(a) Strong temptation of sin.
(b) Peaceful sleep.
(c) Identifying sin.
(d) Remembrance of God.
3. When is a person supposed to start climbing the secret ladder?
(a) After passing through the dark night.
(b) After death.
(c) Directly after birth.
(d) When first believing in God.
4. In Book I, Chapter XII, the soul develops a fear of what during the dark night?
(c) God's love.
(d) Other's love.
5. Gluttony is exhibited when believers go to extremes and will not stop what?
(a) Collecting money.
(b) Spiritual exercises.
(c) Being angry at others.
(d) Having sexual affairs.
Short Answer Questions
1. The example the author uses about purification illustrates an understanding of what concept?
2. What does the soul find in the dark night that it must face, according to Book II, Chapter IX?
3. St. John explains that beginners who have pride become impatient with whom?
4. To what can the fifth step of the ladder of love be compared?
5. According to the author, why must the soul forget all forms of natural love?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)