|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the soul change during the dark night?
(a) It becomes "soft."
(b) It "grows up."
(c) It becomes ready for heaven.
(d) It experiences a holy event.
2. As described in Book II, Chapter II, what are deeply rooted in the spirit of a person and must be removed by the purging of the soul?
(a) Habitual imperfections.
(b) The seven deadly sins.
(c) Mortal sin.
(d) Spiritual imperfections.
3. Without passing through the dark night, the author says that people are still what of their natural desires and wants?
4. In Book II, Chapter XVII, who is given the knowledge of the divine?
(a) No one.
(b) Only priests.
(c) Not everyone.
5. St. John says that almost all beginners will experience what?
(a) Spiritual purgation.
(b) Divine wisdom.
(d) Sensual purgation.
Short Answer Questions
1. St. John says that the knowledge of the divine come to the soul in what way?
2. It is necessary for the spirit and the sensual portion of man to be separated in order for what to happen, according to Book II, Chapter III?
3. What step of the ladder feels like heaven on earth?
4. The seven deadly sins are recognized by what Christian community?
5. What does the spirit of a man search for in the darkness?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)