|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The example the author uses about purification illustrates an understanding of what concept?
(a) The strengthening of the soul by sin.
(b) The purging of the soul by divine love.
(c) The strengthening of the spirit by God's wrath.
(d) The purging of the spirit by leaving behind sin.
2. What does the author describe as the reason for the underlying pain of the soul in preparation with a union with God?
(a) The payment of sin.
(b) The balance of the world.
(c) The underlying impurity of the soul.
(d) God's demands of revenge.
3. What is the term given to a spiritual experience beyond words?
4. In Dark Night of the Soul, the soul praises the darkness from which it has escaped what?
(a) The danger zone.
(b) God's wrath.
(c) Sensual affections.
(d) Mortal sin.
5. In Dark Night of the Soul, with what do slothful Christians have trouble aligning themselves?
(a) Hard work.
(b) A pure heart.
(c) God's will.
Short Answer Questions
1. What step of the ladder feels like heaven on earth?
2. What is the main topic of discussion in Book II, Chapter XV?
3. What is the example the author uses in describing the way the purification process works?
4. What does the soul do on the sixth step of the ladder of love, according to Book II, Chapter XX?
5. The dark night refers to the darkness of what?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)