|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the author compare God's trail as He leads the soul on the journey through the dark night?
(a) A dive off a cliff.
(b) A walk on the sea.
(c) The circle of life.
(d) The flight of a bird.
2. For whom is the ninth step on the ladder reserved, according to Book II, Chapter XX?
3. In Book II, Chapter IV, what is purged on the second night of darkness?
(a) All mortal sins.
(b) Both parts of the soul together.
(c) Only the sensual part of the soul.
(d) All unclean thoughts.
4. What happens when the soul has a more complete purging, according to the author?
(a) The more likely to sin.
(b) The better of a chance to enter heaven.
(c) The closer to God a being will become.
(d) The better of a chance to backslide.
5. What does the author say the devil uses against beginners who have pride?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens on the first step of the ladder, according to Book II, Chapter XIX?
2. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
3. In Book II, Chapter XX, what does the soul learn on the tenth step?
4. Where do the afflictions of the second night of darkness affect a man, as stated in Book II, Chapter VII?
5. What does the soul find in the dark night that it must face, according to Book II, Chapter IX?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)