|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. It is necessary for the spirit and the sensual portion of man to be separated in order for what to happen, according to Book II, Chapter III?
(a) An entrance into heaven.
(c) God's forgiveness.
(d) The second night of darkness.
2. What happens on the first step of the ladder, according to Book II, Chapter XIX?
(a) Sin takes over the soul.
(b) God punishes the soul.
(c) The spirit battles the soul.
(d) The soul swoons for God.
3. When a man searches for God in a divine way, the spirit and the soul of that person are transformed into what, according to Book II, Chapter V?
(a) A new person.
(b) An innocent child.
(c) The likeness of God.
(d) A sinner.
4. What happens when the soul has a more complete purging, according to the author?
(a) The closer to God a being will become.
(b) The more likely to sin.
(c) The better of a chance to backslide.
(d) The better of a chance to enter heaven.
5. When is a person supposed to start climbing the secret ladder?
(a) After death.
(b) Directly after birth.
(c) When first believing in God.
(d) After passing through the dark night.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object represents the passions of the natural man, according to Book II, Chapter XIV?
2. What authors quote a state of pain so extreme for the soul it can find no comfort?
3. The seven deadly sins are recognized by what Christian community?
4. According to St. John, on what step does the soul seek to do something worthy of God without any favor from God?
5. When entering into the dark night, what does God cause the soul of the person to simply desire, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)