|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author describe as the reason for the underlying pain of the soul in preparation with a union with God?
(a) God's demands of revenge.
(b) The balance of the world.
(c) The payment of sin.
(d) The underlying impurity of the soul.
2. What is another name for avarice?
3. What does the spirit of a man search for in the darkness?
(a) His soulmate.
(c) His soul.
4. Where do the afflictions of the second night of darkness affect a man, as stated in Book II, Chapter VII?
(a) In his passion for sin.
(b) In his sensual areas.
(c) In his love for God.
(d) In his will and soul.
5. When is a person supposed to start climbing the secret ladder?
(a) When first believing in God.
(b) Directly after birth.
(c) After death.
(d) After passing through the dark night.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter IV, what is purged on the second night of darkness?
2. What does the soul become enkindled with during the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter X?
3. St. John explains that beginners who have pride become impatient with whom?
4. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
5. St. John says that almost all beginners will experience what?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)