|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter XII, the soul develops a fear of what during the dark night?
(b) God's love.
(d) Other's love.
2. In Book II, Chapter VII, what will souls not believe when experiencing a dark night with so much pain?
(a) God loves them.
(b) The duty of man.
(c) The balance of nature.
(d) The guilt of sin.
3. What is the name of the sin that occurs when a beginner hears another being praised and wants the praise for himself?
(b) Impure heart.
(c) Spiritual envy.
(d) Spiritual luxury.
4. According to St. John, what kind of day is it when a man searches for God in a divine way instead of a human way?
5. Why is the soul uncertain of finding its way out in the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter VII?
(a) It does not know goodness.
(b) It wants to remain sinful.
(c) It remembers its evils.
(d) God has given no direction.
Short Answer Questions
1. St. John explains that beginners who have pride become impatient with whom?
2. In Book I, Chapter VI, what sin are new believers said to be especially prone to because of its sweetness?
3. Beginners suffering from gluttony will find it hard to travel the "Road of" what, according to St. John?
4. What does the soul become enkindled with during the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter X?
5. St. John's use of writing about a spiritual ladder as a path to unification with God is an example of what?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)