|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The example the author uses about purification illustrates an understanding of what concept?
(a) The purging of the spirit by leaving behind sin.
(b) The purging of the soul by divine love.
(c) The strengthening of the soul by sin.
(d) The strengthening of the spirit by God's wrath.
2. According to St. John, one going through the dark night does not experience pleasure in what?
(a) Anything physical.
(b) Anything spiritual.
(c) Anything spiritual or physical.
(d) Committing sin.
3. In what other way does the author describe the passions of man being at rest?
4. In Book I, Chapter III, what is the rosary made of?
(c) Animal teeth.
(d) Spines of a fish.
5. St. John explains that beginners who have pride become impatient with whom?
(a) God and themselves.
(b) Loved ones.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the term given to a spiritual experience beyond words?
2. When a man searches for God in a divine way, the spirit and the soul of that person are transformed into what, according to Book II, Chapter V?
3. In Book II, Chapter XVII, who is given the knowledge of the divine?
4. What happens when there are periods of rest for the soul during the dark night?
5. When is the only time a soul can ascend to the sixth step?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)