|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter II | Book II, Chapter III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter VII, what do beginners do when they hear others being praised?
(a) They praise the others as well.
(b) They get angry at those being praised.
(c) They get angry at God.
(d) They devalue the praise.
2. St. John says that the dark night causes the soul to gain a healthy respect for what?
3. St. John says that almost all beginners will experience what?
(b) Spiritual purgation.
(c) Sensual purgation.
(d) Divine wisdom.
4. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the second night purify?
(a) The soul.
(b) God's love.
(c) Spiritual luxury.
(d) The sensual.
5. How does the soul change during the dark night?
(a) It becomes ready for heaven.
(b) It experiences a holy event.
(c) It "grows up."
(d) It becomes "soft."
Short Answer Questions
1. The soul starts to develop a habit of what during the dark night, as stated in Book I, Chapter XIII?
2. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
3. In Dark Night of the Soul, with what do slothful Christians have trouble aligning themselves?
4. St. John explains that beginners who have pride become impatient with whom?
5. As described in Book II, Chapter II, what are deeply rooted in the spirit of a person and must be removed by the purging of the soul?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)