|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter II | Book II, Chapter III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter VII, what do beginners do when they hear others being praised?
(a) They devalue the praise.
(b) They get angry at those being praised.
(c) They get angry at God.
(d) They praise the others as well.
2. It is necessary for the spirit and the sensual portion of man to be separated in order for what to happen, according to Book II, Chapter III?
(b) The second night of darkness.
(c) An entrance into heaven.
(d) God's forgiveness.
3. St. John says that the dark night causes the soul to gain a healthy respect for what?
4. How does the soul change during the dark night?
(a) It experiences a holy event.
(b) It becomes "soft."
(c) It becomes ready for heaven.
(d) It "grows up."
5. The seven deadly sins are recognized by what Christian community?
(a) The Lutheran Church.
(b) The Baptist Church.
(c) The Catholic Church.
(d) The Pentecostal Church.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the first night purify?
2. What does the author say the devil uses against beginners who have pride?
3. The soul starts to develop a habit of what during the dark night, as stated in Book I, Chapter XIII?
4. What do beginning Christians feel happens when they grow in faith and deal with suffering for God's sake, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
5. Gluttony is exhibited when believers go to extremes and will not stop what?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)