|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter II | Book II, Chapter III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the second night purify?
(a) The sensual.
(b) Spiritual luxury.
(c) The soul.
(d) God's love.
2. What is the name of the sin that occurs when a beginner hears another being praised and wants the praise for himself?
(a) Spiritual luxury.
(c) Spiritual envy.
(d) Impure heart.
3. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
(b) A cistern of water.
(c) Plant roots.
(d) Breast milk.
4. When does the deadening of a person to the presence of sin get refreshed, according to the author?
(a) The second night of purging.
(b) Whenever in prayer with God.
(c) The first night of purging.
(d) During a weekly fast.
5. How does the soul change during the dark night?
(a) It experiences a holy event.
(b) It becomes "soft."
(c) It "grows up."
(d) It becomes ready for heaven.
Short Answer Questions
1. St. John says that the dark night causes the soul to gain a healthy respect for what?
2. In Dark Night of the Soul during the dark night, the soul learns that by itself it is what?
3. It is necessary for the spirit and the sensual portion of man to be separated in order for what to happen, according to Book II, Chapter III?
4. The soul starts to develop a habit of what during the dark night, as stated in Book I, Chapter XIII?
5. In Dark Night of the Soul, with what do slothful Christians have trouble aligning themselves?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)