|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter II | Book II, Chapter III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the first night purify?
(a) The soul.
(c) The sensual.
(d) Mortal sin.
2. As described in Book II, Chapter II, what are deeply rooted in the spirit of a person and must be removed by the purging of the soul?
(a) Spiritual imperfections.
(b) Mortal sin.
(c) Habitual imperfections.
(d) The seven deadly sins.
3. What is the name of the sin that occurs when a beginner hears another being praised and wants the praise for himself?
(a) Spiritual luxury.
(c) Spiritual envy.
(d) Impure heart.
4. St. John says that almost all beginners will experience what?
(a) Spiritual purgation.
(c) Divine wisdom.
(d) Sensual purgation.
5. St. John says that the dark night causes the soul to gain a healthy respect for what?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter IV, what is purged on the second night of darkness?
2. In Book I, Chapter VI, what sin are new believers said to be especially prone to because of its sweetness?
3. It is necessary for the spirit and the sensual portion of man to be separated in order for what to happen, according to Book II, Chapter III?
4. What is another name for avarice?
5. Beginners suffering from gluttony will find it hard to travel the "Road of" what, according to St. John?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)