|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter II | Book II, Chapter III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter II, what sin do beginners exhibit when they choose leaders who agree with their views?
2. In Book I, Chapter XII, the soul develops a fear of what during the dark night?
(a) God's love.
(b) Other's love.
3. What does St. John say affects Christians in a way that they are easily swayed by their senses and see imaginary visions?
(a) Earthly pleasures.
(b) Spiritual luxury.
(c) Actual imperfections.
(d) God's punishments.
4. It is necessary for the spirit and the sensual portion of man to be separated in order for what to happen, according to Book II, Chapter III?
(a) The second night of darkness.
(c) God's forgiveness.
(d) An entrance into heaven.
5. In Book II, Chapter IV, what is purged on the second night of darkness?
(a) All unclean thoughts.
(b) Only the sensual part of the soul.
(c) All mortal sins.
(d) Both parts of the soul together.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter VI, what sin are new believers said to be especially prone to because of its sweetness?
2. As described in Book II, Chapter II, what are deeply rooted in the spirit of a person and must be removed by the purging of the soul?
3. St. John says that almost all beginners will experience what?
4. What does the author say the devil uses against beginners who have pride?
5. St. John says that the dark night causes the soul to gain a healthy respect for what?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)