|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter II | Book II, Chapter III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. St. Johns states that believers react to God similarly to what?
(b) The sun and the moon.
(d) Changing wind.
2. Beginners suffering from gluttony will find it hard to travel the "Road of" what, according to St. John?
(b) The Devil.
3. In Book II, Chapter IV, what is purged on the second night of darkness?
(a) All unclean thoughts.
(b) Both parts of the soul together.
(c) Only the sensual part of the soul.
(d) All mortal sins.
4. In Book I, Chapter VI, what sin are new believers said to be especially prone to because of its sweetness?
5. St. John says that the dark night causes the soul to gain a healthy respect for what?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter XII, the soul develops a fear of what during the dark night?
2. When does the deadening of a person to the presence of sin get refreshed, according to the author?
3. As described in Book II, Chapter II, what are deeply rooted in the spirit of a person and must be removed by the purging of the soul?
4. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
5. What does the author say the devil uses against beginners who have pride?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)