|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter II | Book II, Chapter III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter III, what is the rosary made of?
(a) Spines of a fish.
(d) Animal teeth.
2. In Dark Night of the Soul during the dark night, the soul learns that by itself it is what?
(a) Worthless to the devil.
(c) Weak and miserable.
(d) Sinful and guilty.
3. Gluttony is exhibited when believers go to extremes and will not stop what?
(a) Collecting money.
(b) Being angry at others.
(c) Having sexual affairs.
(d) Spiritual exercises.
4. As described in Book II, Chapter II, what are deeply rooted in the spirit of a person and must be removed by the purging of the soul?
(a) Spiritual imperfections.
(b) Mortal sin.
(c) The seven deadly sins.
(d) Habitual imperfections.
5. What does St. John say affects Christians in a way that they are easily swayed by their senses and see imaginary visions?
(a) God's punishments.
(b) Earthly pleasures.
(c) Spiritual luxury.
(d) Actual imperfections.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter VII, what do beginners do when they hear others being praised?
2. St. John explains that beginners who have pride become impatient with whom?
3. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the second night purify?
4. In Book I, Chapter VI, what sin are new believers said to be especially prone to because of its sweetness?
5. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)