|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter II | Book II, Chapter III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When entering into the dark night, what does God cause the soul of the person to simply desire, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
(a) Peace and nature.
(b) The love of God and others.
(c) Quiet and to be alone.
(d) The company of a spiritual leader.
2. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the first night purify?
(a) Mortal sin.
(b) The sensual.
(c) The soul.
3. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
(a) Plant roots.
(c) Breast milk.
(d) A cistern of water.
4. What is another name for avarice?
5. What do beginning Christians feel happens when they grow in faith and deal with suffering for God's sake, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
(a) They no longer believe in their faith.
(b) God suddenly abandons them.
(c) Their sins worsen.
(d) God draws closer to them.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Dark Night of the Soul during the dark night, the soul learns that by itself it is what?
2. In Book II, Chapter IV, what is purged on the second night of darkness?
3. St. Johns states that believers react to God similarly to what?
4. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the second night purify?
5. In Book I, Chapter II, what sin do beginners exhibit when they choose leaders who agree with their views?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)