|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter II | Book II, Chapter III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter VI, what sin are new believers said to be especially prone to because of its sweetness?
2. When entering into the dark night, what does God cause the soul of the person to simply desire, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
(a) Quiet and to be alone.
(b) Peace and nature.
(c) The company of a spiritual leader.
(d) The love of God and others.
3. According to St. John, one going through the dark night does not experience pleasure in what?
(a) Anything physical.
(b) Committing sin.
(c) Anything spiritual or physical.
(d) Anything spiritual.
4. St. John says that almost all beginners will experience what?
(a) Spiritual purgation.
(b) Divine wisdom.
(c) Sensual purgation.
5. What do beginning Christians feel happens when they grow in faith and deal with suffering for God's sake, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
(a) God draws closer to them.
(b) They no longer believe in their faith.
(c) God suddenly abandons them.
(d) Their sins worsen.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the first night purify?
2. In Book II, Chapter IV, what is purged on the second night of darkness?
3. When does the deadening of a person to the presence of sin get refreshed, according to the author?
4. It is necessary for the spirit and the sensual portion of man to be separated in order for what to happen, according to Book II, Chapter III?
5. In Book I, Chapter III, what is the rosary made of?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)