|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter II | Book II, Chapter III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the soul change during the dark night?
(a) It "grows up."
(b) It experiences a holy event.
(c) It becomes ready for heaven.
(d) It becomes "soft."
2. In Book I, Chapter XII, the soul develops a fear of what during the dark night?
(a) God's love.
(b) Other's love.
3. In Book I, Chapter VI, what sin are new believers said to be especially prone to because of its sweetness?
4. When does the deadening of a person to the presence of sin get refreshed, according to the author?
(a) During a weekly fast.
(b) The second night of purging.
(c) The first night of purging.
(d) Whenever in prayer with God.
5. What do beginning Christians feel happens when they grow in faith and deal with suffering for God's sake, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
(a) God suddenly abandons them.
(b) Their sins worsen.
(c) They no longer believe in their faith.
(d) God draws closer to them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
2. The soul starts to develop a habit of what during the dark night, as stated in Book I, Chapter XIII?
3. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the first night purify?
4. What does St. John say affects Christians in a way that they are easily swayed by their senses and see imaginary visions?
5. What is the name of the sin that occurs when a beginner hears another being praised and wants the praise for himself?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)