|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter II | Book II, Chapter III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter VII, what do beginners do when they hear others being praised?
(a) They get angry at God.
(b) They devalue the praise.
(c) They praise the others as well.
(d) They get angry at those being praised.
2. Gluttony is exhibited when believers go to extremes and will not stop what?
(a) Collecting money.
(b) Spiritual exercises.
(c) Being angry at others.
(d) Having sexual affairs.
3. It is necessary for the spirit and the sensual portion of man to be separated in order for what to happen, according to Book II, Chapter III?
(a) An entrance into heaven.
(b) God's forgiveness.
(c) The second night of darkness.
4. As described in Book II, Chapter II, what are deeply rooted in the spirit of a person and must be removed by the purging of the soul?
(a) Habitual imperfections.
(b) Mortal sin.
(c) The seven deadly sins.
(d) Spiritual imperfections.
5. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the first night purify?
(a) Mortal sin.
(b) The soul.
(d) The sensual.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter VI, what sin are new believers said to be especially prone to because of its sweetness?
2. According to St. John, one going through the dark night does not experience pleasure in what?
3. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
4. What does St. John say affects Christians in a way that they are easily swayed by their senses and see imaginary visions?
5. In Dark Night of the Soul, with what do slothful Christians have trouble aligning themselves?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)