|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter II | Book II, Chapter III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
(a) Plant roots.
(b) A cistern of water.
(c) Breast milk.
2. Gluttony is exhibited when believers go to extremes and will not stop what?
(a) Spiritual exercises.
(b) Collecting money.
(c) Being angry at others.
(d) Having sexual affairs.
3. In Book I, Chapter VI, what sin are new believers said to be especially prone to because of its sweetness?
4. When does the deadening of a person to the presence of sin get refreshed, according to the author?
(a) Whenever in prayer with God.
(b) During a weekly fast.
(c) The first night of purging.
(d) The second night of purging.
5. How does the soul change during the dark night?
(a) It becomes "soft."
(b) It experiences a holy event.
(c) It becomes ready for heaven.
(d) It "grows up."
Short Answer Questions
1. As described in Book II, Chapter II, what are deeply rooted in the spirit of a person and must be removed by the purging of the soul?
2. St. John says that the dark night causes the soul to gain a healthy respect for what?
3. St. John explains that beginners who have pride become impatient with whom?
4. The soul starts to develop a habit of what during the dark night, as stated in Book I, Chapter XIII?
5. When entering into the dark night, what does God cause the soul of the person to simply desire, according to Book I, Chapter IX?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)