|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter II | Book II, Chapter III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the deadening of a person to the presence of sin get refreshed, according to the author?
(a) During a weekly fast.
(b) The second night of purging.
(c) Whenever in prayer with God.
(d) The first night of purging.
2. How does the soul change during the dark night?
(a) It becomes ready for heaven.
(b) It experiences a holy event.
(c) It "grows up."
(d) It becomes "soft."
3. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
(b) Breast milk.
(c) A cistern of water.
(d) Plant roots.
4. In Book I, Chapter XII, the soul develops a fear of what during the dark night?
(b) Other's love.
(d) God's love.
5. In Dark Night of the Soul during the dark night, the soul learns that by itself it is what?
(a) Sinful and guilty.
(c) Worthless to the devil.
(d) Weak and miserable.
Short Answer Questions
1. St. John explains that beginners who have pride become impatient with whom?
2. As described in Book II, Chapter II, what are deeply rooted in the spirit of a person and must be removed by the purging of the soul?
3. In Book I, Chapter VIII, what does the second night purify?
4. In Book II, Chapter IV, what is purged on the second night of darkness?
5. St. John says that the dark night causes the soul to gain a healthy respect for what?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)