|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. St. John says that the dark night causes the soul to gain a healthy respect for what?
2. The soul starts to develop a habit of what during the dark night, as stated in Book I, Chapter XIII?
(a) Identifying sin.
(b) Peaceful sleep.
(c) Strong temptation of sin.
(d) Remembrance of God.
3. What does the spirit of a man search for in the darkness?
(a) His soul.
(b) His soulmate.
4. How does the soul change during the dark night?
(a) It becomes "soft."
(b) It experiences a holy event.
(c) It becomes ready for heaven.
(d) It "grows up."
5. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
(a) Breast milk.
(b) A cistern of water.
(c) Plant roots.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the soul has a more complete purging, according to the author?
2. What two things cannot exist in the same person?
3. When a man searches for God in a divine way, the spirit and the soul of that person are transformed into what, according to Book II, Chapter V?
4. St. John writes that souls on earth are purged with the fire of what?
5. The dark night refers to the darkness of what?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)