|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. St. John says that the dark night causes the soul to gain a healthy respect for what?
2. St. John writes that souls on earth are purged with the fire of what?
3. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
(a) A cistern of water.
(b) Plant roots.
(d) Breast milk.
4. With what are the spirits in purgatory purged?
(a) Real fire.
(d) God's love.
5. What does St. John say a man has that will impede the process of unifying with God?
(d) Lack of education.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter IX, what will a person become as he goes through a harder labor and more severe pain?
2. What does the soul find in the dark night that it must face, according to Book II, Chapter IX?
3. What is the name of the sin that occurs when a beginner hears another being praised and wants the praise for himself?
4. The soul starts to develop a habit of what during the dark night, as stated in Book I, Chapter XIII?
5. What two things cannot exist in the same person?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)