|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Dark Night of the Soul during the dark night, the soul learns that by itself it is what?
(a) Worthless to the devil.
(b) Sinful and guilty.
(d) Weak and miserable.
2. Beginners suffering from gluttony will find it hard to travel the "Road of" what, according to St. John?
(c) The Devil.
3. What two things cannot exist in the same person?
(a) God and the devil.
(b) Guilt and pride.
(c) Desire and goodwill.
(d) The divine and the natural.
4. When the souls on earth are purged, with what do they become infused, according to Book II, Chapter XII?
(a) Freedom and pain.
(b) Love and wisdom.
(c) Grace and redemption.
(d) Guilt and suffering.
5. In Book II, Chapter IX, what will a person become as he goes through a harder labor and more severe pain?
(a) Less perfect.
(b) More desirable by God.
(c) More sinful.
(d) More perfect.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XII, what does the spirit of wisdom and love also affects?
2. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
3. What does the author describe as the reason for the underlying pain of the soul in preparation with a union with God?
4. The soul starts to develop a habit of what during the dark night, as stated in Book I, Chapter XIII?
5. According to St. John, what kind of day is it when a man searches for God in a divine way instead of a human way?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)