|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XII, what--more than understanding--will be imparted to the soul because of the will of God?
2. St. John says that the dark night causes the soul to gain a healthy respect for what?
3. What does the author describe as the reason for the underlying pain of the soul in preparation with a union with God?
(a) God's demands of revenge.
(b) The underlying impurity of the soul.
(c) The payment of sin.
(d) The balance of the world.
4. The soul starts to develop a habit of what during the dark night, as stated in Book I, Chapter XIII?
(a) Peaceful sleep.
(b) Remembrance of God.
(c) Strong temptation of sin.
(d) Identifying sin.
5. St. John writes that souls on earth are purged with the fire of what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the spirit of a man search for in the darkness?
2. In Book I, Chapter XII, the soul develops a fear of what during the dark night?
3. What is the name of the sin that occurs when a beginner hears another being praised and wants the praise for himself?
4. In Dark Night of the Soul, with what do slothful Christians have trouble aligning themselves?
5. How does the soul change during the dark night?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)