|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The soul starts to develop a habit of what during the dark night, as stated in Book I, Chapter XIII?
(a) Remembrance of God.
(b) Identifying sin.
(c) Peaceful sleep.
(d) Strong temptation of sin.
2. Gluttony is exhibited when believers go to extremes and will not stop what?
(a) Spiritual exercises.
(b) Collecting money.
(c) Having sexual affairs.
(d) Being angry at others.
3. In Dark Night of the Soul, what does the soul wait for in the second night of darkness?
(a) God's instructions.
(b) Inner peace.
(c) The emergence of sin.
(d) God's forgiveness.
4. St. John says that the dark night causes the soul to gain a healthy respect for what?
5. In Dark Night of the Soul, with what do slothful Christians have trouble aligning themselves?
(b) God's will.
(c) A pure heart.
(d) Hard work.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a man searches for God in a divine way, the spirit and the soul of that person are transformed into what, according to Book II, Chapter V?
2. In Book I, Chapter VII, what do beginners do when they hear others being praised?
3. What does St. John say a man has that will impede the process of unifying with God?
4. What is the name of the sin that occurs when a beginner hears another being praised and wants the praise for himself?
5. What does the author describe as the reason for the underlying pain of the soul in preparation with a union with God?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)