|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. St. John writes that because of the goodness of God's divine wisdom, the soul actually feels as if it is being what?
2. According to the author, why must the soul forget all forms of natural love?
(a) To reflect the state of a baby.
(b) To be reminded of sin.
(c) To become more like God.
(d) To appreciate divine love.
3. What does the spirit of a man search for in the darkness?
(a) His soul.
(c) His soulmate.
4. St. John says that the dark night causes the soul to gain a healthy respect for what?
5. What does the author describe as the reason for the underlying pain of the soul in preparation with a union with God?
(a) The balance of the world.
(b) God's demands of revenge.
(c) The payment of sin.
(d) The underlying impurity of the soul.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the sin that occurs when a beginner hears another being praised and wants the praise for himself?
2. When the souls on earth are purged, with what do they become infused, according to Book II, Chapter XII?
3. In Book I, Chapter VI, what sin are new believers said to be especially prone to because of its sweetness?
4. In Book II, Chapter XII, what--more than understanding--will be imparted to the soul because of the will of God?
5. How does the soul change during the dark night?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)