|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When a man searches for God in a divine way, the spirit and the soul of that person are transformed into what, according to Book II, Chapter V?
(a) A new person.
(b) A sinner.
(c) An innocent child.
(d) The likeness of God.
2. Gluttony is exhibited when believers go to extremes and will not stop what?
(a) Collecting money.
(b) Having sexual affairs.
(c) Being angry at others.
(d) Spiritual exercises.
3. What does the author describe as the reason for the underlying pain of the soul in preparation with a union with God?
(a) The underlying impurity of the soul.
(b) The payment of sin.
(c) God's demands of revenge.
(d) The balance of the world.
4. St. John writes that souls on earth are purged with the fire of what?
5. In Book I, Chapter XII, the soul develops a fear of what during the dark night?
(a) Other's love.
(d) God's love.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter VI, what sin are new believers said to be especially prone to because of its sweetness?
2. The soul starts to develop a habit of what during the dark night, as stated in Book I, Chapter XIII?
3. What does St. John say a man has that will impede the process of unifying with God?
4. When the souls on earth are purged, with what do they become infused, according to Book II, Chapter XII?
5. What does the soul find in the dark night that it must face, according to Book II, Chapter IX?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)