|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Dark Night of the Soul, with what do slothful Christians have trouble aligning themselves?
(b) Hard work.
(c) God's will.
(d) A pure heart.
2. According to the author, why must the soul forget all forms of natural love?
(a) To reflect the state of a baby.
(b) To appreciate divine love.
(c) To be reminded of sin.
(d) To become more like God.
3. With what are the spirits in purgatory purged?
(b) Real fire.
(c) God's love.
4. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
(b) Plant roots.
(c) Breast milk.
(d) A cistern of water.
5. In Book I, Chapter VII, what do beginners do when they hear others being praised?
(a) They devalue the praise.
(b) They praise the others as well.
(c) They get angry at those being praised.
(d) They get angry at God.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter VI, what sin are new believers said to be especially prone to because of its sweetness?
2. What two things cannot exist in the same person?
3. St. John writes that because of the goodness of God's divine wisdom, the soul actually feels as if it is being what?
4. In Book II, Chapter IX, what will a person become as he goes through a harder labor and more severe pain?
5. The soul starts to develop a habit of what during the dark night, as stated in Book I, Chapter XIII?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)