|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XII, what--more than understanding--will be imparted to the soul because of the will of God?
2. What happens when the soul has a more complete purging, according to the author?
(a) The better of a chance to backslide.
(b) The more likely to sin.
(c) The better of a chance to enter heaven.
(d) The closer to God a being will become.
3. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
(a) A cistern of water.
(b) Plant roots.
(c) Breast milk.
4. What is the name of the sin that occurs when a beginner hears another being praised and wants the praise for himself?
(a) Impure heart.
(b) Spiritual envy.
(c) Spiritual luxury.
5. What two things cannot exist in the same person?
(a) Guilt and pride.
(b) Desire and goodwill.
(c) God and the devil.
(d) The divine and the natural.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book I, Chapter XII, the soul develops a fear of what during the dark night?
2. In Book II, Chapter IX, what will a person become as he goes through a harder labor and more severe pain?
3. Beginners suffering from gluttony will find it hard to travel the "Road of" what, according to St. John?
4. St. John writes that because of the goodness of God's divine wisdom, the soul actually feels as if it is being what?
5. In Dark Night of the Soul, what does the soul wait for in the second night of darkness?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)