|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two things cannot exist in the same person?
(a) The divine and the natural.
(b) God and the devil.
(c) Desire and goodwill.
(d) Guilt and pride.
2. According to the author, why must the soul forget all forms of natural love?
(a) To reflect the state of a baby.
(b) To be reminded of sin.
(c) To become more like God.
(d) To appreciate divine love.
3. In Book I, Chapter VI, what sin are new believers said to be especially prone to because of its sweetness?
4. St. John writes that because of the goodness of God's divine wisdom, the soul actually feels as if it is being what?
5. What happens when the soul has a more complete purging, according to the author?
(a) The closer to God a being will become.
(b) The better of a chance to backslide.
(c) The more likely to sin.
(d) The better of a chance to enter heaven.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the soul change during the dark night?
2. In Book II, Chapter XII, what--more than understanding--will be imparted to the soul because of the will of God?
3. When a man searches for God in a divine way, the spirit and the soul of that person are transformed into what, according to Book II, Chapter V?
4. In Book II, Chapter IX, what will a person become as he goes through a harder labor and more severe pain?
5. The soul starts to develop a habit of what during the dark night, as stated in Book I, Chapter XIII?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)