|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, why must the soul forget all forms of natural love?
(a) To be reminded of sin.
(b) To appreciate divine love.
(c) To become more like God.
(d) To reflect the state of a baby.
2. What does the spirit of a man search for in the darkness?
(a) His soulmate.
(b) His soul.
3. With what are the spirits in purgatory purged?
(b) Real fire.
(c) God's love.
4. When the souls on earth are purged, with what do they become infused, according to Book II, Chapter XII?
(a) Guilt and suffering.
(b) Freedom and pain.
(c) Grace and redemption.
(d) Love and wisdom.
5. In Dark Night of the Soul, with what do slothful Christians have trouble aligning themselves?
(b) God's will.
(c) A pure heart.
(d) Hard work.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to St. John, what kind of day is it when a man searches for God in a divine way instead of a human way?
2. The soul starts to develop a habit of what during the dark night, as stated in Book I, Chapter XIII?
3. The dark night refers to the darkness of what?
4. In Dark Night of the Soul, what does the soul wait for in the second night of darkness?
5. What symbolism is used to describe how the dark night dries up sensual pleasure?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)