|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The dark night refers to the darkness of what?
(a) Human sin.
(b) Human guilt.
(c) The end of the world.
(d) Natural senses.
2. With what are the spirits in purgatory purged?
(a) Real fire.
(d) God's love.
3. What happens when the soul has a more complete purging, according to the author?
(a) The better of a chance to backslide.
(b) The better of a chance to enter heaven.
(c) The more likely to sin.
(d) The closer to God a being will become.
4. What does the spirit of a man search for in the darkness?
(a) His soulmate.
(d) His soul.
5. What does the soul find in the dark night that it must face, according to Book II, Chapter IX?
Short Answer Questions
1. What two things cannot exist in the same person?
2. How does the soul change during the dark night?
3. What does St. John say a man has that will impede the process of unifying with God?
4. St. John writes that because of the goodness of God's divine wisdom, the soul actually feels as if it is being what?
5. According to St. John, what kind of day is it when a man searches for God in a divine way instead of a human way?
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)