|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author says the severity of the trials of a person going through the dark night depends on what?
(a) The wealth the person can offer the church.
(b) The age of the person.
(c) The strength of the person's soul and faith.
(d) The severity of the person's sin.
2. During the dark night, what does the Christian want to do when the spirit of blasphemy descends, according to Book I, Chapter XIV?
(a) Speak out in tongues.
(b) Speak out loud, blasphemous statements.
(c) Commit suicide.
(d) Obey all of God's commands.
3. The example the author uses about purification illustrates an understanding of what concept?
(a) The strengthening of the soul by sin.
(b) The purging of the soul by divine love.
(c) The strengthening of the spirit by God's wrath.
(d) The purging of the spirit by leaving behind sin.
4. In <i>Dark Night of the Soul</i>, the power of hell would have no power over the soul if there were no what in the human soul?
(a) Desire for sin.
(c) Hope of God.
(d) Spark of humanity.
5. How many important points are made in Book II, Chapter X, about the purification process?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what form is the image of the spiritual ladder first found in the Bible?
2. What directions can men take upon the secret ladder, as described in Book II, Chapter XVIII?
3. The author states that people can only move on the ladder when they have a feeling of what for themselves?
4. According to St. John, what replaces spiritual anxiety after passing through the dark night?
5. In Book II, Chapter I, what does the beginning Christian become after passing through the dark night?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)