|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does God want to do with those who go through the most intense darkness of the dark night?
(a) Purge all sin.
(b) Bring them closer.
(c) Sacrifice them.
(d) Abandon them.
2. The example the author uses about purification illustrates an understanding of what concept?
(a) The strengthening of the soul by sin.
(b) The strengthening of the spirit by God's wrath.
(c) The purging of the spirit by leaving behind sin.
(d) The purging of the soul by divine love.
3. In Dark Night of the Soul, the power of hell would have no power over the soul if there were no what in the human soul?
(a) Spark of humanity.
(b) Desire for sin.
(d) Hope of God.
4. What might descend upon a Christian while he is going through the dark night, as described in the final chapter of Book I?
(a) A desire for secrets.
(b) Fits of insanity.
(c) A perverse or giddy spirit.
(d) A feeling of inner peace.
5. What does the soul become enkindled with during the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter X?
(a) Revulsion to faith.
(b) The love of God.
(c) Repentance of sin.
(d) The weight of sin.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the dark night, what does the Christian want to do when the spirit of blasphemy descends, according to Book I, Chapter XIV?
2. The author states that people can only move on the ladder when they have a feeling of what for themselves?
3. St. John says that it becomes clear which parts are purified and which are still not purified during what time in the dark night?
4. According to St. John, what replaces spiritual anxiety after passing through the dark night?
5. In Book II, Chapter I, what does the beginning Christian become after passing through the dark night?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)