|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does God want to do with those who go through the most intense darkness of the dark night?
(a) Sacrifice them.
(b) Purge all sin.
(c) Bring them closer.
(d) Abandon them.
2. St. John says that it becomes clear which parts are purified and which are still not purified during what time in the dark night?
(a) The beginning.
(b) The darkest point.
(c) Periods of rest.
(d) The end.
3. During the dark night, what does the Christian want to do when the spirit of blasphemy descends, according to Book I, Chapter XIV?
(a) Speak out in tongues.
(b) Obey all of God's commands.
(c) Commit suicide.
(d) Speak out loud, blasphemous statements.
4. What is the example the author uses in describing the way the purification process works?
(a) The changing seasons.
(b) The chopping down of a tree.
(c) The burning rays of the sun.
(d) The burning of a log in a fire.
5. How many important points are made in Book II, Chapter X, about the purification process?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to St. John, what replaces spiritual anxiety after passing through the dark night?
2. Who else can descend and ascend upon the spiritual ladder besides men, according to Book II, Chapter XIII?
3. In Dark Night of the Soul, the power of hell would have no power over the soul if there were no what in the human soul?
4. What does the soul become enkindled with during the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter X?
5. In what form is the image of the spiritual ladder first found in the Bible?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)