|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to St. John, what replaces spiritual anxiety after passing through the dark night?
2. What does God want to do with those who go through the most intense darkness of the dark night?
(a) Sacrifice them.
(b) Abandon them.
(c) Purge all sin.
(d) Bring them closer.
3. During the dark night, what does the Christian want to do when the spirit of blasphemy descends, according to Book I, Chapter XIV?
(a) Speak out loud, blasphemous statements.
(b) Commit suicide.
(c) Obey all of God's commands.
(d) Speak out in tongues.
4. What is the example the author uses in describing the way the purification process works?
(a) The chopping down of a tree.
(b) The burning of a log in a fire.
(c) The changing seasons.
(d) The burning rays of the sun.
5. How many important points are made in Book II, Chapter X, about the purification process?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what form is the image of the spiritual ladder first found in the Bible?
2. In Dark Night of the Soul, the power of hell would have no power over the soul if there were no what in the human soul?
3. What might descend upon a Christian while he is going through the dark night, as described in the final chapter of Book I?
4. Who else can descend and ascend upon the spiritual ladder besides men, according to Book II, Chapter XIII?
5. The example the author uses about purification illustrates an understanding of what concept?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)