|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter I, what does the beginning Christian become after passing through the dark night?
(a) A priest.
(b) A sinless and perfect soul.
(c) A proficient Christian.
(d) A baptized person.
2. What is the example the author uses in describing the way the purification process works?
(a) The changing seasons.
(b) The burning rays of the sun.
(c) The chopping down of a tree.
(d) The burning of a log in a fire.
3. The author says the severity of the trials of a person going through the dark night depends on what?
(a) The strength of the person's soul and faith.
(b) The wealth the person can offer the church.
(c) The age of the person.
(d) The severity of the person's sin.
4. The author states that people can only move on the ladder when they have a feeling of what for themselves?
5. According to St. John, what replaces spiritual anxiety after passing through the dark night?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what form is the image of the spiritual ladder first found in the Bible?
2. What directions can men take upon the secret ladder, as described in Book II, Chapter XVIII?
3. During the dark night, what does the Christian want to do when the spirit of blasphemy descends, according to Book I, Chapter XIV?
4. The example the author uses about purification illustrates an understanding of what concept?
5. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, what does the secret ladder assist humans in reaching?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)