|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the author cite as someone who has seen the spiritual ladder?
2. What is the example the author uses in describing the way the purification process works?
(a) The burning of a log in a fire.
(b) The changing seasons.
(c) The chopping down of a tree.
(d) The burning rays of the sun.
3. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, what does the secret ladder assist humans in reaching?
(a) Spiritual understanding.
(b) Forgiveness for the soul.
(d) God's dwelling place.
4. What directions can men take upon the secret ladder, as described in Book II, Chapter XVIII?
(a) Ascension and descension.
(b) Side to side.
(c) From earth to hell.
(d) From earth to heaven.
5. Who else can descend and ascend upon the spiritual ladder besides men, according to Book II, Chapter XIII?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to St. John, what replaces spiritual anxiety after passing through the dark night?
2. During the dark night, what does the Christian want to do when the spirit of blasphemy descends, according to Book I, Chapter XIV?
3. St. John says that it becomes clear which parts are purified and which are still not purified during what time in the dark night?
4. In what form is the image of the spiritual ladder first found in the Bible?
5. What does God want to do with those who go through the most intense darkness of the dark night?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)