|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter I, what does the beginning Christian become after passing through the dark night?
(a) A proficient Christian.
(b) A sinless and perfect soul.
(c) A priest.
(d) A baptized person.
2. In Dark Night of the Soul, the power of hell would have no power over the soul if there were no what in the human soul?
(a) Desire for sin.
(b) Hope of God.
(d) Spark of humanity.
3. During the dark night, what does the Christian want to do when the spirit of blasphemy descends, according to Book I, Chapter XIV?
(a) Speak out loud, blasphemous statements.
(b) Commit suicide.
(c) Speak out in tongues.
(d) Obey all of God's commands.
4. What might descend upon a Christian while he is going through the dark night, as described in the final chapter of Book I?
(a) A perverse or giddy spirit.
(b) A desire for secrets.
(c) A feeling of inner peace.
(d) Fits of insanity.
5. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, what does the secret ladder assist humans in reaching?
(a) Spiritual understanding.
(b) Forgiveness for the soul.
(d) God's dwelling place.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to St. John, what replaces spiritual anxiety after passing through the dark night?
2. How many important points are made in Book II, Chapter X, about the purification process?
3. Who else can descend and ascend upon the spiritual ladder besides men, according to Book II, Chapter XIII?
4. The example the author uses about purification illustrates an understanding of what concept?
5. St. John says that it becomes clear which parts are purified and which are still not purified during what time in the dark night?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)