|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, what does the secret ladder assist humans in reaching?
(a) Forgiveness for the soul.
(b) God's dwelling place.
(c) Spiritual understanding.
2. During the dark night, what does the Christian want to do when the spirit of blasphemy descends, according to Book I, Chapter XIV?
(a) Commit suicide.
(b) Obey all of God's commands.
(c) Speak out loud, blasphemous statements.
(d) Speak out in tongues.
3. How many important points are made in Book II, Chapter X, about the purification process?
4. What does God want to do with those who go through the most intense darkness of the dark night?
(a) Bring them closer.
(b) Purge all sin.
(c) Sacrifice them.
(d) Abandon them.
5. What might descend upon a Christian while he is going through the dark night, as described in the final chapter of Book I?
(a) A feeling of inner peace.
(b) A perverse or giddy spirit.
(c) Fits of insanity.
(d) A desire for secrets.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author says the severity of the trials of a person going through the dark night depends on what?
2. Who else can descend and ascend upon the spiritual ladder besides men, according to Book II, Chapter XIII?
3. The example the author uses about purification illustrates an understanding of what concept?
4. According to St. John, what replaces spiritual anxiety after passing through the dark night?
5. What is the example the author uses in describing the way the purification process works?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)