|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What might descend upon a Christian while he is going through the dark night, as described in the final chapter of Book I?
(a) A perverse or giddy spirit.
(b) Fits of insanity.
(c) A feeling of inner peace.
(d) A desire for secrets.
2. During the dark night, what does the Christian want to do when the spirit of blasphemy descends, according to Book I, Chapter XIV?
(a) Commit suicide.
(b) Speak out loud, blasphemous statements.
(c) Speak out in tongues.
(d) Obey all of God's commands.
3. St. John says that it becomes clear which parts are purified and which are still not purified during what time in the dark night?
(a) The darkest point.
(b) Periods of rest.
(c) The end.
(d) The beginning.
4. The example the author uses about purification illustrates an understanding of what concept?
(a) The strengthening of the soul by sin.
(b) The purging of the soul by divine love.
(c) The purging of the spirit by leaving behind sin.
(d) The strengthening of the spirit by God's wrath.
5. According to St. John, what replaces spiritual anxiety after passing through the dark night?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Dark Night of the Soul, the power of hell would have no power over the soul if there were no what in the human soul?
2. What does God want to do with those who go through the most intense darkness of the dark night?
3. How many important points are made in Book II, Chapter X, about the purification process?
4. What is the example the author uses in describing the way the purification process works?
5. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, what does the secret ladder assist humans in reaching?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)