|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What might descend upon a Christian while he is going through the dark night, as described in the final chapter of Book I?
(a) A feeling of inner peace.
(b) A desire for secrets.
(c) A perverse or giddy spirit.
(d) Fits of insanity.
2. What directions can men take upon the secret ladder, as described in Book II, Chapter XVIII?
(a) From earth to hell.
(b) From earth to heaven.
(c) Ascension and descension.
(d) Side to side.
3. According to St. John, what replaces spiritual anxiety after passing through the dark night?
4. The author says the severity of the trials of a person going through the dark night depends on what?
(a) The age of the person.
(b) The severity of the person's sin.
(c) The strength of the person's soul and faith.
(d) The wealth the person can offer the church.
5. Who else can descend and ascend upon the spiritual ladder besides men, according to Book II, Chapter XIII?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the example the author uses in describing the way the purification process works?
2. What does God want to do with those who go through the most intense darkness of the dark night?
3. The author states that people can only move on the ladder when they have a feeling of what for themselves?
4. St. John says that it becomes clear which parts are purified and which are still not purified during what time in the dark night?
5. The example the author uses about purification illustrates an understanding of what concept?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)