|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What might descend upon a Christian while he is going through the dark night, as described in the final chapter of Book I?
(a) A perverse or giddy spirit.
(b) A feeling of inner peace.
(c) A desire for secrets.
(d) Fits of insanity.
2. In Dark Night of the Soul, the power of hell would have no power over the soul if there were no what in the human soul?
(a) Spark of humanity.
(b) Desire for sin.
(d) Hope of God.
3. In what form is the image of the spiritual ladder first found in the Bible?
(a) A joke.
(b) A dream.
(c) A lie.
(d) A nightmare.
4. The example the author uses about purification illustrates an understanding of what concept?
(a) The purging of the soul by divine love.
(b) The purging of the spirit by leaving behind sin.
(c) The strengthening of the spirit by God's wrath.
(d) The strengthening of the soul by sin.
5. Who else can descend and ascend upon the spiritual ladder besides men, according to Book II, Chapter XIII?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the soul become enkindled with during the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter X?
2. According to St. John, what replaces spiritual anxiety after passing through the dark night?
3. How many important points are made in Book II, Chapter X, about the purification process?
4. The author says the severity of the trials of a person going through the dark night depends on what?
5. Who does the author cite as someone who has seen the spiritual ladder?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)