|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many important points are made in Book II, Chapter X, about the purification process?
2. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, what does the secret ladder assist humans in reaching?
(a) God's dwelling place.
(b) Forgiveness for the soul.
(c) Spiritual understanding.
3. According to St. John, what replaces spiritual anxiety after passing through the dark night?
4. The author states that people can only move on the ladder when they have a feeling of what for themselves?
5. What might descend upon a Christian while he is going through the dark night, as described in the final chapter of Book I?
(a) A feeling of inner peace.
(b) A desire for secrets.
(c) Fits of insanity.
(d) A perverse or giddy spirit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does God want to do with those who go through the most intense darkness of the dark night?
2. In what form is the image of the spiritual ladder first found in the Bible?
3. The example the author uses about purification illustrates an understanding of what concept?
4. The author says the severity of the trials of a person going through the dark night depends on what?
5. Who else can descend and ascend upon the spiritual ladder besides men, according to Book II, Chapter XIII?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)