|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who else can descend and ascend upon the spiritual ladder besides men, according to Book II, Chapter XIII?
2. How many important points are made in Book II, Chapter X, about the purification process?
3. According to St. John, what replaces spiritual anxiety after passing through the dark night?
4. The example the author uses about purification illustrates an understanding of what concept?
(a) The purging of the spirit by leaving behind sin.
(b) The strengthening of the soul by sin.
(c) The purging of the soul by divine love.
(d) The strengthening of the spirit by God's wrath.
5. In Dark Night of the Soul, the power of hell would have no power over the soul if there were no what in the human soul?
(a) Desire for sin.
(b) Spark of humanity.
(c) Hope of God.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the dark night, what does the Christian want to do when the spirit of blasphemy descends, according to Book I, Chapter XIV?
2. Who does the author cite as someone who has seen the spiritual ladder?
3. What directions can men take upon the secret ladder, as described in Book II, Chapter XVIII?
4. In what form is the image of the spiritual ladder first found in the Bible?
5. What does the soul become enkindled with during the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter X?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)