|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. St. John says that it becomes clear which parts are purified and which are still not purified during what time in the dark night?
(a) The darkest point.
(b) The end.
(c) Periods of rest.
(d) The beginning.
2. In what form is the image of the spiritual ladder first found in the Bible?
(a) A nightmare.
(b) A dream.
(c) A joke.
(d) A lie.
3. The author says the severity of the trials of a person going through the dark night depends on what?
(a) The strength of the person's soul and faith.
(b) The wealth the person can offer the church.
(c) The age of the person.
(d) The severity of the person's sin.
4. The example the author uses about purification illustrates an understanding of what concept?
(a) The strengthening of the soul by sin.
(b) The purging of the soul by divine love.
(c) The purging of the spirit by leaving behind sin.
(d) The strengthening of the spirit by God's wrath.
5. The author states that people can only move on the ladder when they have a feeling of what for themselves?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the author cite as someone who has seen the spiritual ladder?
2. What is the example the author uses in describing the way the purification process works?
3. According to St. John, what replaces spiritual anxiety after passing through the dark night?
4. In Book II, Chapter I, what does the beginning Christian become after passing through the dark night?
5. What directions can men take upon the secret ladder, as described in Book II, Chapter XVIII?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)