|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does God want to do with those who go through the most intense darkness of the dark night?
(a) Bring them closer.
(b) Abandon them.
(c) Sacrifice them.
(d) Purge all sin.
2. St. John says that it becomes clear which parts are purified and which are still not purified during what time in the dark night?
(a) The beginning.
(b) The end.
(c) Periods of rest.
(d) The darkest point.
3. What is the example the author uses in describing the way the purification process works?
(a) The burning of a log in a fire.
(b) The changing seasons.
(c) The burning rays of the sun.
(d) The chopping down of a tree.
4. Who else can descend and ascend upon the spiritual ladder besides men, according to Book II, Chapter XIII?
5. According to St. John, what replaces spiritual anxiety after passing through the dark night?
Short Answer Questions
1. What might descend upon a Christian while he is going through the dark night, as described in the final chapter of Book I?
2. Who does the author cite as someone who has seen the spiritual ladder?
3. What does the soul become enkindled with during the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter X?
4. The author states that people can only move on the ladder when they have a feeling of what for themselves?
5. How many important points are made in Book II, Chapter X, about the purification process?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)