|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, what does the secret ladder assist humans in reaching?
(a) Forgiveness for the soul.
(c) Spiritual understanding.
(d) God's dwelling place.
2. How many important points are made in Book II, Chapter X, about the purification process?
3. St. John says that it becomes clear which parts are purified and which are still not purified during what time in the dark night?
(a) The darkest point.
(b) The end.
(c) The beginning.
(d) Periods of rest.
4. According to St. John, what replaces spiritual anxiety after passing through the dark night?
5. Who does the author cite as someone who has seen the spiritual ladder?
Short Answer Questions
1. What might descend upon a Christian while he is going through the dark night, as described in the final chapter of Book I?
2. The example the author uses about purification illustrates an understanding of what concept?
3. In what form is the image of the spiritual ladder first found in the Bible?
4. During the dark night, what does the Christian want to do when the spirit of blasphemy descends, according to Book I, Chapter XIV?
5. What directions can men take upon the secret ladder, as described in Book II, Chapter XVIII?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)