|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does God want to do with those who go through the most intense darkness of the dark night?
(a) Sacrifice them.
(b) Bring them closer.
(c) Abandon them.
(d) Purge all sin.
2. The example the author uses about purification illustrates an understanding of what concept?
(a) The purging of the soul by divine love.
(b) The strengthening of the soul by sin.
(c) The purging of the spirit by leaving behind sin.
(d) The strengthening of the spirit by God's wrath.
3. Who else can descend and ascend upon the spiritual ladder besides men, according to Book II, Chapter XIII?
4. What is the example the author uses in describing the way the purification process works?
(a) The changing seasons.
(b) The burning rays of the sun.
(c) The burning of a log in a fire.
(d) The chopping down of a tree.
5. What directions can men take upon the secret ladder, as described in Book II, Chapter XVIII?
(a) From earth to hell.
(b) Ascension and descension.
(c) From earth to heaven.
(d) Side to side.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what form is the image of the spiritual ladder first found in the Bible?
2. St. John says that it becomes clear which parts are purified and which are still not purified during what time in the dark night?
3. In Dark Night of the Soul, the power of hell would have no power over the soul if there were no what in the human soul?
4. The author says the severity of the trials of a person going through the dark night depends on what?
5. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, what does the secret ladder assist humans in reaching?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)