|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author states that people can only move on the ladder when they have a feeling of what for themselves?
2. The author says the severity of the trials of a person going through the dark night depends on what?
(a) The age of the person.
(b) The strength of the person's soul and faith.
(c) The wealth the person can offer the church.
(d) The severity of the person's sin.
3. What does the soul become enkindled with during the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter X?
(a) Repentance of sin.
(b) Revulsion to faith.
(c) The weight of sin.
(d) The love of God.
4. What is the example the author uses in describing the way the purification process works?
(a) The chopping down of a tree.
(b) The burning rays of the sun.
(c) The burning of a log in a fire.
(d) The changing seasons.
5. According to St. John, what replaces spiritual anxiety after passing through the dark night?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, what does the secret ladder assist humans in reaching?
2. In Dark Night of the Soul, the power of hell would have no power over the soul if there were no what in the human soul?
3. During the dark night, what does the Christian want to do when the spirit of blasphemy descends, according to Book I, Chapter XIV?
4. What directions can men take upon the secret ladder, as described in Book II, Chapter XVIII?
5. Who else can descend and ascend upon the spiritual ladder besides men, according to Book II, Chapter XIII?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)