|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the example the author uses in describing the way the purification process works?
(a) The burning of a log in a fire.
(b) The chopping down of a tree.
(c) The changing seasons.
(d) The burning rays of the sun.
2. In Dark Night of the Soul, the power of hell would have no power over the soul if there were no what in the human soul?
(a) Spark of humanity.
(b) Hope of God.
(c) Desire for sin.
3. The author says the severity of the trials of a person going through the dark night depends on what?
(a) The strength of the person's soul and faith.
(b) The severity of the person's sin.
(c) The age of the person.
(d) The wealth the person can offer the church.
4. The author states that people can only move on the ladder when they have a feeling of what for themselves?
5. How many important points are made in Book II, Chapter X, about the purification process?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the author cite as someone who has seen the spiritual ladder?
2. Who else can descend and ascend upon the spiritual ladder besides men, according to Book II, Chapter XIII?
3. What does the soul become enkindled with during the dark night, according to Book II, Chapter X?
4. According to St. John, what replaces spiritual anxiety after passing through the dark night?
5. What directions can men take upon the secret ladder, as described in Book II, Chapter XVIII?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)