|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What directions can men take upon the secret ladder, as described in Book II, Chapter XVIII?
(a) From earth to heaven.
(b) From earth to hell.
(c) Ascension and descension.
(d) Side to side.
2. In Book II, Chapter I, what does the beginning Christian become after passing through the dark night?
(a) A sinless and perfect soul.
(b) A proficient Christian.
(c) A baptized person.
(d) A priest.
3. According to St. John, what replaces spiritual anxiety after passing through the dark night?
4. What does God want to do with those who go through the most intense darkness of the dark night?
(a) Bring them closer.
(b) Purge all sin.
(c) Sacrifice them.
(d) Abandon them.
5. The author says the severity of the trials of a person going through the dark night depends on what?
(a) The strength of the person's soul and faith.
(b) The severity of the person's sin.
(c) The wealth the person can offer the church.
(d) The age of the person.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author states that people can only move on the ladder when they have a feeling of what for themselves?
2. The example the author uses about purification illustrates an understanding of what concept?
3. How many important points are made in Book II, Chapter X, about the purification process?
4. In Dark Night of the Soul, the power of hell would have no power over the soul if there were no what in the human soul?
5. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, what does the secret ladder assist humans in reaching?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)