|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book II, Chapter XVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What might descend upon a Christian while he is going through the dark night, as described in the final chapter of Book I?
(a) A desire for secrets.
(b) A feeling of inner peace.
(c) A perverse or giddy spirit.
(d) Fits of insanity.
2. How many important points are made in Book II, Chapter X, about the purification process?
3. According to St. John, what replaces spiritual anxiety after passing through the dark night?
4. Who does the author cite as someone who has seen the spiritual ladder?
5. In Dark Night of the Soul, the power of hell would have no power over the soul if there were no what in the human soul?
(a) Hope of God.
(c) Spark of humanity.
(d) Desire for sin.
Short Answer Questions
1. The example the author uses about purification illustrates an understanding of what concept?
2. In Book II, Chapter I, what does the beginning Christian become after passing through the dark night?
3. In Book II, Chapter XVIII, what does the secret ladder assist humans in reaching?
4. What is the example the author uses in describing the way the purification process works?
5. In what form is the image of the spiritual ladder first found in the Bible?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)