|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the elderly man's wife think happened to the twins?
2. What does Ever say you cannot do with problems?
3. What does Ava say magic is?
4. What does Damen find out in the Halls about Ever's problem?
5. What mode of transportation does Ever use when she leaves Jude at the Halls?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jude first go to Summerland?
2. What picture of herself does Ever see in the twins' house?
3. What happens to the antidote when Roman dies, why does Haven hate Ever now, and what does Damen say to all of it?
4. What is happening to Ever's abilities, and what happens when Ever goes to Roman's house again?
5. Where does Ever end up in Summerland, and what does she think about there?
6. Where does Ever go when she leaves Roman's house, and what does she do?
7. What does Ever realize when she is talking to Roman, and what happens because of that?
8. How does Ever find out about Roman's life?
9. Who pops in while Jude and Ever are talking, and what happens then?
10. What does Ever do while Jude is in the Great Halls of Learning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of immortality in Dark Flame. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with immortality? Why? What are some symbols of immortality? Symbols of death? What characters are immortal? How do they handle their immortality?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of friendship in Dark Flame. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? How are friendships in Dark Flame threatened? Which friendships are strengthened? Which fail or are weakened?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of obsession in Dark Flame. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most obsessed? Why? What are some behaviors that demonstrate obsession?
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in Dark Flame? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in Dark Flame including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Dark Flame and your own life to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Dark Flame based upon the criteria you decided upon in #1 and judge if Dark Flame is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Dark Flame a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)