|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Ever tries to tell Damen what has happened?
2. How does Damen know Ava is the twins' aunt?
3. Why does Jude come to Summerland?
4. What does Ever say you cannot do with problems?
5. What does Sabrine suggest to Ever when she talks to her after the birthday party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miles send Ever from Venice, and what shocks Ever about them?
2. Where does Ever go when she leaves Roman's house, and what does she do?
3. Where do Jude and Ever go in Summerland?
4. What happens to the antidote when Roman dies, why does Haven hate Ever now, and what does Damen say to all of it?
5. Where does Damen take Ever for her birthday, and what does he show her there?
6. What does Ever tell Damen when she leaves Summerland, and how does he react?
7. Who pops in while Jude and Ever are talking, and what happens then?
8. How does Ever end up back in Summerland?
9. How does Ever find out where the twins lived?
10. What does Ever show Jude when they first arrive in Summerland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the world of academe, fantasy fiction is often considered an inferior form of the novel compared to "classic" literature. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think fantasy fiction might be considered second-rate compared to the classics?
2. Do you think fantasy fiction has the same elements as the classics? Why or why not?
3. What are the purposes do you think for people reading "the classics"? What are the purposes for people reading fantasy fiction? Is one purpose better than another? Explain your response.
4. Would you read fantasy fiction even outside an educational setting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Ever and Haven. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Damen and Roman. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Dark Flame help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)