|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jude say he wants for Ever?
2. Who calls when Ever is talking to Damen?
3. What does Damen find out in the Halls about Ever's problem?
4. Where does Jude take Ever for a boat ride in Summerland?
5. What does Ava say is the Law of Attraction?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jude first go to Summerland?
2. What does Ever do while Jude is in the Great Halls of Learning?
3. What does Roman want to prove when Ever goes to his house?
4. What does Ever show Jude when they first arrive in Summerland?
5. Where does Ever go when she leaves Ava, and what does she do there?
6. Where does Ever go when she leaves Roman's house, and what does she do?
7. What does Damen tell Ever about magic, and what is her response?
8. Where does Damen take Ever for her birthday, and what does he show her there?
9. Where does Ever go from Ava's, who does she talk with, and why does she leave there?
10. How does Ava begin to help Ever?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by Dark Flame, questions that Noël most likely wants readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of Noël's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Noël's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Noël and see if/where her life may have influenced her writing.
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Dark Flame is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book whose title you still didn't understand, even after finishing the book? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of the reader? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Dark Flame help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Dark Flame? Why or why not?
3. Choose one specific incident in Dark Flame to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)