|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the antidote when Roman is killed?
2. What does Roman say he will give Ever for her birthday?
3. Where does Ever end up In Summerland after she leaves Roman?
4. What does Jude have to do to find a solution to Ever's problem in the Great Halls of Learning?
5. What does Ever offer to show Roman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What other picture does Ever see in the twins' house, and what does she realize?
2. Where does Damen take Ever for her birthday, and what does he show her there?
3. Where does Ever take Roman, and how does Roman end up dead?
4. Who pops in while Jude and Ever are talking, and what happens then?
5. What is happening to Ever's abilities, and what happens when Ever goes to Roman's house again?
6. Where does Ever end up in Summerland, and what does she think about there?
7. What does Roman want to prove when Ever goes to his house?
8. Where do Jude and Ever go in Summerland?
9. What does Miles send Ever from Venice, and what shocks Ever about them?
10. What does Ever show Jude when they first arrive in Summerland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dark Flame belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Dark Flame, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Dark Flame. (The subplots may not contain every element of the major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not? Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)