|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the elderly man's wife think happened to the twins?
2. What does Roman say the dark flame inside Ever is?
3. What is Roman doing when Ever goes to see him?
4. What does Jude have to do to find a solution to Ever's problem in the Great Halls of Learning?
5. Where does Damen take Ever for her birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Ever go when she leaves Ava, and what does she do there?
2. Where does Ever go from Ava's, who does she talk with, and why does she leave there?
3. Where does Damen take Ever for her birthday, and what does he show her there?
4. What does Ever realize when she is talking to Roman, and what happens because of that?
5. What picture of herself does Ever see in the twins' house?
6. How does Ava begin to help Ever?
7. How does Ever end up back in Summerland?
8. Who pops in while Jude and Ever are talking, and what happens then?
9. What does Miles send Ever from Venice, and what shocks Ever about them?
10. Where do Jude and Ever go in Summerland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in Dark Flame? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in Dark Flame including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Dark Flame and your own life to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Dark Flame belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)