|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sabrine suggest to Ever when she talks to her after the birthday party?
2. What does Ava tell Ever about the twins moving into her house?
3. Where does Jude take Ever for a boat ride in Summerland?
4. Why does Jude come to Summerland?
5. Where does Damen take Ever for her birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Jude and Ever go in Summerland?
2. Where does Ever end up in Summerland, and what does she think about there?
3. How does Ever find out about Roman's life?
4. What does Ava tell Ever about the bond with Roman?
5. What picture of herself does Ever see in the twins' house?
6. Where does Ever go when she leaves Roman's house, and what does she do?
7. How does Jude first go to Summerland?
8. Who shows up in Summerland, and what does Ever tell him? What does he do?
9. What does Ever tell Damen when she leaves Summerland, and how does he react?
10. How does Ever find out where the twins lived?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the world of academe, fantasy fiction is often considered an inferior form of the novel compared to "classic" literature. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think fantasy fiction might be considered second-rate compared to the classics?
2. Do you think fantasy fiction has the same elements as the classics? Why or why not?
3. What are the purposes do you think for people reading "the classics"? What are the purposes for people reading fantasy fiction? Is one purpose better than another? Explain your response.
4. Would you read fantasy fiction even outside an educational setting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of immortality in Dark Flame. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with immortality? Why? What are some symbols of immortality? Symbols of death? What characters are immortal? How do they handle their immortality?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of friendship in Dark Flame. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? How are friendships in Dark Flame threatened? Which friendships are strengthened? Which fail or are weakened?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of obsession in Dark Flame. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most obsessed? Why? What are some behaviors that demonstrate obsession?
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, perhaps the majority, end on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Dark Flame and whether or not it fulfills all three, two, or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Dark Flame is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, and/or stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)