|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ever attempt to manifest when she leaves Damen's house?
2. What does the elderly man's wife think happened to the twins?
3. What does Jude metaphorically say is his destiny in all his lives?
4. How does Roman's strength compare to Ever's?
5. Why does Ever go to see Haven?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ever do while Jude is in the Great Halls of Learning?
2. Where does Ever go from Ava's, who does she talk with, and why does she leave there?
3. Who shows up in Summerland, and what does Ever tell him? What does he do?
4. Who pops in while Jude and Ever are talking, and what happens then?
5. What is Roman doing when Ever goes to see him, what does she tell him, and to what do they agree?
6. What is happening to Ever's abilities, and what happens when Ever goes to Roman's house again?
7. Where do Damen and Ever go from Summerland, what happens there, and how does Ever feel? What does Ava tell her?
8. How does Jude first go to Summerland?
9. What does Damen tell Ever about magic, and what is her response?
10. What does Ava tell Ever about the bond with Roman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Dark Flame is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book whose title you still didn't understand, even after finishing the book? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Ever and Haven. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Damen and Roman. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Dark Flame help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
In the world of academe, fantasy fiction is often considered an inferior form of the novel compared to "classic" literature. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think fantasy fiction might be considered second-rate compared to the classics?
2. Do you think fantasy fiction has the same elements as the classics? Why or why not?
3. What are the purposes do you think for people reading "the classics"? What are the purposes for people reading fantasy fiction? Is one purpose better than another? Explain your response.
4. Would you read fantasy fiction even outside an educational setting? Why or why not?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)