|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ever tell Jude in Summerland?
2. Where does Jude take Ever for a boat ride in Summerland?
3. Who calls when Ever is talking to Damen?
4. What was the name of Ever's yellow lab?
5. Who does Ever think is responsible for the art hanging on the walls in the twins' room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miles send Ever from Venice, and what shocks Ever about them?
2. What is happening to Ever's abilities, and what happens when Ever goes to Roman's house again?
3. How does Ava begin to help Ever?
4. What does Damen tell Ever about magic, and what is her response?
5. Where does Ever go from Ava's, who does she talk with, and why does she leave there?
6. Where does Ever go when she leaves Ava, and what does she do there?
7. Where do Damen and Ever go from Summerland, what happens there, and how does Ever feel? What does Ava tell her?
8. What does Ever show Jude when they first arrive in Summerland?
9. How does Ever find out about Roman's life?
10. What is Roman doing when Ever goes to see him, what does she tell him, and to what do they agree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Dark Flame based upon the criteria you decided upon in #1 and judge if Dark Flame is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Dark Flame a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Dark Flame is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book whose title you still didn't understand, even after finishing the book? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, perhaps the majority, end on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Dark Flame and whether or not it fulfills all three, two, or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Dark Flame is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, and/or stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)