|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Damen do when he sees Ever in Summerland with Jude?
2. What does Roman put in his pocket?
3. What does Ava tell Ever when Ever walks in her house?
4. What does Jude say Om is?
5. Who do you have to be to look at the akashic records?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Ever go when she leaves Roman's house, and what does she do?
2. Where do Damen and Ever go from Summerland, what happens there, and how does Ever feel? What does Ava tell her?
3. Where do Jude and Ever go in Summerland?
4. What does Ever do while Jude is in the Great Halls of Learning?
5. Where does Ever end up in Summerland, and what does she think about there?
6. How does Ever end up back in Summerland?
7. Where does Damen take Ever for her birthday, and what does he show her there?
8. Where does Ever take Roman, and how does Roman end up dead?
9. What does Roman want to prove when Ever goes to his house?
10. What other picture does Ever see in the twins' house, and what does she realize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in Dark Flame? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in Dark Flame including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Dark Flame and your own life to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Dark Flame.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Dark Flame. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Dark Flame. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
In the world of academe, fantasy fiction is often considered an inferior form of the novel compared to "classic" literature. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think fantasy fiction might be considered second-rate compared to the classics?
2. Do you think fantasy fiction has the same elements as the classics? Why or why not?
3. What are the purposes do you think for people reading "the classics"? What are the purposes for people reading fantasy fiction? Is one purpose better than another? Explain your response.
4. Would you read fantasy fiction even outside an educational setting? Why or why not?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)