|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roman say the dark flame inside Ever is?
2. What does Damen offer to help Ever carry to her bedroom?
3. What does Romy say is one thought that cannot be read from a person's mind?
4. In what book is Ever trying to find a solution to her bond with Roman?
5. What does Ever tell Jude in Summerland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Damen and Ever go from Summerland, what happens there, and how does Ever feel? What does Ava tell her?
2. What happens to the antidote when Roman dies, why does Haven hate Ever now, and what does Damen say to all of it?
3. How does Ever end up back in Summerland?
4. What does Damen tell Ever about magic, and what is her response?
5. How does Ever find out where the twins lived?
6. What does Ever tell Damen when she leaves Summerland, and how does he react?
7. Where do Jude and Ever go in Summerland?
8. What does Roman want to prove when Ever goes to his house?
9. What is happening to Ever's abilities, and what happens when Ever goes to Roman's house again?
10. Who shows up in Summerland, and what does Ever tell him? What does he do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dark Flame is one book in a series of novels involving Ever and Damen. Discuss the following.
1. What are some of the advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are some of the disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier, more difficult, or about the same difficulty level to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Dark Flame is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book whose title you still didn't understand, even after finishing the book? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In the world of academe, fantasy fiction is often considered an inferior form of the novel compared to "classic" literature. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think fantasy fiction might be considered second-rate compared to the classics?
2. Do you think fantasy fiction has the same elements as the classics? Why or why not?
3. What are the purposes do you think for people reading "the classics"? What are the purposes for people reading fantasy fiction? Is one purpose better than another? Explain your response.
4. Would you read fantasy fiction even outside an educational setting? Why or why not?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)