|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Damen know Ever is about to die in the car accident?
2. Where does Jude take Ever for a boat ride in Summerland?
3. What does Ever tell Roman?
4. What does Ava tell Ever when Ever walks in her house?
5. What does Ever attempt to manifest when she leaves Damen's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ever tell Damen when she leaves Summerland, and how does he react?
2. How does Ava begin to help Ever?
3. How does Ever find out about Roman's life?
4. Where does Ever end up in Summerland, and what does she think about there?
5. Where does Ever go when she leaves Roman's house, and what does she do?
6. What other picture does Ever see in the twins' house, and what does she realize?
7. What does Miles send Ever from Venice, and what shocks Ever about them?
8. How does Ever end up back in Summerland?
9. Where does Damen take Ever for her birthday, and what does he show her there?
10. Where does Ever take Roman, and how does Roman end up dead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ever feels she has made many mistakes since learning of her immortality, and she is obsessed with attempting to fix these mistakes. However, the more Ever tries to fix her mistakes, the more mistakes she makes. This includes Ever's relationship with Jude. Jude has been in love with Ever in each of their lives over the last four hundred years, but Jude does not know about his past lives because he is not immortal. Ever thinks Jude is immortal and that he is part of Roman's rebels, but learns that he is not. This complicates the situation for Ever because she has placed herself in a position where she has admitted too much to Jude and broken the first rule of immortality: don't tell anyone.
1. Why do you think Ever keeps making mistakes while trying to fix her past mistakes? Use examples from your own life and Dark Flame to support your answer.
2. Discuss what Ever's actions towards Jude when she throws him and then cuts him without any supporting evidence demonstrates her general emotional state throughout much of Dark Flame. Use examples from your own life and Dark Flame to support your answer.
3. Explain how you think Ever and Jude's past lives have affected their relationship in the present time. Use examples from your own life and Dark Flame to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In the world of academe, fantasy fiction is often considered an inferior form of the novel compared to "classic" literature. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think fantasy fiction might be considered second-rate compared to the classics?
2. Do you think fantasy fiction has the same elements as the classics? Why or why not?
3. What are the purposes do you think for people reading "the classics"? What are the purposes for people reading fantasy fiction? Is one purpose better than another? Explain your response.
4. Would you read fantasy fiction even outside an educational setting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, perhaps the majority, end on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Dark Flame and whether or not it fulfills all three, two, or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Dark Flame is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, and/or stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)