|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Damen go to Summerland when Ever is there with Jude?
2. What is Roman doing when Ever goes to see him?
3. What does Ava do when Roman asks for a reading?
4. What does Sabrine catch Ever doing?
5. In what book is Ever trying to find a solution to her bond with Roman?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ava begin to help Ever?
2. What is Roman doing when Ever goes to see him, what does she tell him, and to what do they agree?
3. What does Damen tell Ever about magic, and what is her response?
4. Where do Damen and Ever go from Summerland, what happens there, and how does Ever feel? What does Ava tell her?
5. How does Ever find out where the twins lived?
6. What other picture does Ever see in the twins' house, and what does she realize?
7. What happens to the antidote when Roman dies, why does Haven hate Ever now, and what does Damen say to all of it?
8. What does Miles send Ever from Venice, and what shocks Ever about them?
9. Where do Jude and Ever go in Summerland?
10. What does Roman want to prove when Ever goes to his house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Alyson Noël.
2. What in Noël's background may have helped her in writing Dark Flame? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Dark Flame is one book in a series of novels involving Ever and Damen. Discuss the following.
1. What are some of the advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are some of the disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier, more difficult, or about the same difficulty level to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of interesting questions raised by Dark Flame, questions that Noël most likely wants readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of Noël's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Noël's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Noël and see if/where her life may have influenced her writing.
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)