Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ever tell Roman?
2. What does Ever think is the reason Summerland brings her to a dank, dark place?
3. What does Ava say magic is?
4. What does Roman say to Ever when he has her on the couch?
5. What does Ava tell Ever when Ever walks in her house?
Many novels, perhaps the majority, end on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Dark Flame and whether or not it fulfills all three, two, or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Dark Flame is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, and/or stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of the reader? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Dark Flame help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Dark Flame? Why or why not?
3. Choose one specific incident in Dark Flame to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Dark Flame.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Dark Flame. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Dark Flame. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)