|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jude say life is when he sees Ever in Summerland?
2. What does Honor give Ever for her birthday?
3. What does Roman put in his pocket?
4. Why does Jude come to Summerland?
5. What does Ever notice about souls from dead people?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ever find out where the twins lived?
2. What does Ava tell Ever about the bond with Roman?
3. Where does Ever go from Ava's, who does she talk with, and why does she leave there?
4. What does Damen tell Ever about magic, and what is her response?
5. Where do Jude and Ever go in Summerland?
6. What does Roman want to prove when Ever goes to his house?
7. Where does Ever go when she leaves Roman's house, and what does she do?
8. How does Ever find out about Roman's life?
9. Where does Ever take Roman, and how does Roman end up dead?
10. Where does Damen take Ever for her birthday, and what does he show her there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Dark Flame is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book whose title you still didn't understand, even after finishing the book? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In the world of academe, fantasy fiction is often considered an inferior form of the novel compared to "classic" literature. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think fantasy fiction might be considered second-rate compared to the classics?
2. Do you think fantasy fiction has the same elements as the classics? Why or why not?
3. What are the purposes do you think for people reading "the classics"? What are the purposes for people reading fantasy fiction? Is one purpose better than another? Explain your response.
4. Would you read fantasy fiction even outside an educational setting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of interesting questions raised by Dark Flame, questions that Noël most likely wants readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of Noël's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Noël's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Noël and see if/where her life may have influenced her writing.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)