|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ever not tell Damen about the bond between her and Roman?
2. What does Sabrine catch Ever doing?
3. What does Roman say the dark flame inside Ever is?
4. What does Jude have to do to find a solution to Ever's problem in the Great Halls of Learning?
5. Who calls when Ever is talking to Damen?
Essay Topic 1
Dark Flame is one book in a series of novels involving Ever and Damen. Discuss the following.
1. What are some of the advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are some of the disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier, more difficult, or about the same difficulty level to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Dark Flame, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Dark Flame. (The subplots may not contain every element of the major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not? Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ever feels she has made many mistakes since learning of her immortality, and she is obsessed with attempting to fix these mistakes. However, the more Ever tries to fix her mistakes, the more mistakes she makes. This includes Ever's relationship with Jude. Jude has been in love with Ever in each of their lives over the last four hundred years, but Jude does not know about his past lives because he is not immortal. Ever thinks Jude is immortal and that he is part of Roman's rebels, but learns that he is not. This complicates the situation for Ever because she has placed herself in a position where she has admitted too much to Jude and broken the first rule of immortality: don't tell anyone.
1. Why do you think Ever keeps making mistakes while trying to fix her past mistakes? Use examples from your own life and Dark Flame to support your answer.
2. Discuss what Ever's actions towards Jude when she throws him and then cuts him without any supporting evidence demonstrates her general emotional state throughout much of Dark Flame. Use examples from your own life and Dark Flame to support your answer.
3. Explain how you think Ever and Jude's past lives have affected their relationship in the present time. Use examples from your own life and Dark Flame to support your answer.
This section contains 2,609 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)