|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what book is Ever trying to find a solution to her bond with Roman?
2. Who does Ever think is responsible for the art hanging on the walls in the twins' room?
3. What happens to the antidote when Roman is killed?
4. What does Jude say composes the universe?
5. What is Roman doing when Ever goes to see him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Roman doing when Ever goes to see him, what does she tell him, and to what do they agree?
2. How does Ever find out where the twins lived?
3. Where does Damen take Ever for her birthday, and what does he show her there?
4. How does Ever find out about Roman's life?
5. What does Ever realize when she is talking to Roman, and what happens because of that?
6. What does Ever do while Jude is in the Great Halls of Learning?
7. What is happening to Ever's abilities, and what happens when Ever goes to Roman's house again?
8. What does Ava tell Ever about the bond with Roman?
9. Where does Ever end up in Summerland, and what does she think about there?
10. Who shows up in Summerland, and what does Ever tell him? What does he do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dark Flame belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Dark Flame, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Dark Flame. (The subplots may not contain every element of the major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not? Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In the world of academe, fantasy fiction is often considered an inferior form of the novel compared to "classic" literature. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think fantasy fiction might be considered second-rate compared to the classics?
2. Do you think fantasy fiction has the same elements as the classics? Why or why not?
3. What are the purposes do you think for people reading "the classics"? What are the purposes for people reading fantasy fiction? Is one purpose better than another? Explain your response.
4. Would you read fantasy fiction even outside an educational setting? Why or why not?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)