|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roman say he will give Ever for her birthday?
2. What does the person in question 169 send Ever?
3. What does Damen do when he sees Ever in Summerland with Jude?
4. What kind of cookies has Ava baked?
5. What does Sabrine catch Ever doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ever find out where the twins lived?
2. What is Roman doing when Ever goes to see him, what does she tell him, and to what do they agree?
3. Who shows up in Summerland, and what does Ever tell him? What does he do?
4. Where does Ever end up in Summerland, and what does she think about there?
5. Where does Ever go when she leaves Roman's house, and what does she do?
6. What picture of herself does Ever see in the twins' house?
7. How does Ever find out about Roman's life?
8. What is happening to Ever's abilities, and what happens when Ever goes to Roman's house again?
9. Where does Damen take Ever for her birthday, and what does he show her there?
10. Where does Ever go when she leaves Ava, and what does she do there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by Dark Flame, questions that Noël most likely wants readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of Noël's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Noël's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Noël and see if/where her life may have influenced her writing.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Dark Flame based upon the criteria you decided upon in #1 and judge if Dark Flame is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Dark Flame a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)