|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Ever tries to tell Damen what has happened?
2. What is the weather like where Summerland takes Ever?
3. What does Ava say is the Law of Attraction?
4. What does Ever tell Jude as she leaves the store?
5. What kind of cookies has Ava baked?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Damen and Ever go from Summerland, what happens there, and how does Ever feel? What does Ava tell her?
2. How does Ever find out where the twins lived?
3. How does Jude first go to Summerland?
4. What happens to the antidote when Roman dies, why does Haven hate Ever now, and what does Damen say to all of it?
5. What is Roman doing when Ever goes to see him, what does she tell him, and to what do they agree?
6. What is happening to Ever's abilities, and what happens when Ever goes to Roman's house again?
7. Where does Ever go from Ava's, who does she talk with, and why does she leave there?
8. What does Miles send Ever from Venice, and what shocks Ever about them?
9. How does Ever end up back in Summerland?
10. What does Ava tell Ever about the bond with Roman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sometimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than an action-driven one, and sometimes, it's the other way around. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character-driven? Action-driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character-driven versus action-driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not?
5. What type of plot do you think Dark Flame is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, perhaps the majority, end on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Dark Flame and whether or not it fulfills all three, two, or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Dark Flame is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, and/or stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Dark Flame is one book in a series of novels involving Ever and Damen. Discuss the following.
1. What are some of the advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are some of the disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier, more difficult, or about the same difficulty level to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)