|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ever go after her dinner?
2. What does Ever wear to cast her spell?
3. What color are the words "mystics & moonbeams" on the envelope Sabrine gives Ever?
4. Why does Damen refuse to go to Summerland with Ever?
5. Where had the twins been living for the past three hundred years?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ever try to get Damen to do, and why won't he do it?
2. What does Ever try to tell Damen, and why can't she?
3. How does Ever react to Jude's appearance?
4. Why does Ever visit Damen, and what do they discuss?
5. Where does Ever intend to go when she leaves Summerland, and where does she end up?
6. What does Ever do in her bedroom, and how does that turn out?
7. How does Haven feel about what Ever says Roman did?
8. What does Damen give Miles, and why does he give it to him?
9. Of what does Haven accuse Ever and why?
10. Where do Ever and Damen go after Haven leaves, and what does Damen manifest there for them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Dark Flame.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Dark Flame. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Dark Flame. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Dark Flame. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Noël chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Noël chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Noël's use (or lack) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Noël use too many or too few literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Dark Flame belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)