|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eva wear around her neck?
2. What was Ever's station in life when she lived in France during the reign of Marie Antoinette?
3. Why does Roman say to enjoy all the pleasures on earth?
4. What is the young mother doing while pushing a baby stroller at the fountain?
5. What is the first thing Ever notices when she gets to Summerland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ever ask Jude for help, and what does he tell her?
2. How does Haven feel about what Ever says Roman did?
3. Why does Ever visit Damen, and what do they discuss?
4. How does Ever react to Jude's appearance?
5. Where do Ever and Damen go after Haven leaves, and what does Damen manifest there for them?
6. Where does Ever go when she leaves Damen, and what shocks her there?
7. What do Ever and Damen think of Haven's attitude, and what do they decide to do about it?
8. What does Damen give Miles, and why does he give it to him?
9. What does Roman say to Ever, and why does Ever leave quickly?
10. What does Ever try to tell Damen, and why can't she?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Ever and Haven. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Damen and Roman. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Dark Flame help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Alyson Noël.
2. What in Noël's background may have helped her in writing Dark Flame? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)