|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the twins' cat?
2. What does Damen give Ever in Summerland?
3. Why does Roman say to enjoy all the pleasures on earth?
4. What does Ever do to prove Jude is immortal?
5. What does Ever give Haven that she has to wear everyday forever?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Ever go when she leaves Damen in Chapter 4 and what does she try to do about her aunt?
2. What do Ever and Damen think of Haven's attitude, and what do they decide to do about it?
3. How does Ever feel about Jude's behavior at the hospital, and what does Jude ask her?
4. What does Damen give Miles, and why does he give it to him?
5. Where does Ever go when she leaves Roman's, and what does she do there?
6. Why does Haven get angry at Damen, and what does Haven tell Damen?
7. How does Ever feel about herself since she became immortal and why?
8. What does Ever do in Summerland, and why is it good for her? What does Ever tell Damen about Jude?
9. What does Roman say to Ever, and why does Ever leave quickly?
10. Where does Ever go when she leaves Damen, and what shocks her there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Dark Flame.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Dark Flame. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Dark Flame. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Ever and Haven. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Damen and Roman. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Dark Flame help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Alyson Noël.
2. What in Noël's background may have helped her in writing Dark Flame? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)