Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jude say to Miles about Ever's attempts to make up for hurting him?
2. Why is Ever upset with Jude?
3. What does Ever say is the reason she is asking Jude for help about Roman?
4. What is the first thing Ever notices when she gets to Summerland?
5. What does Ever do when Haven shows up at Roman's store?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Damen show Ever in the place he manifests, and why does he know that place?
2. What do Ever and Damen think of Haven's attitude, and what do they decide to do about it?
3. What does Ever do in Summerland, and why is it good for her? What does Ever tell Damen about Jude?
4. What does Ava tell Ever about the bond with Roman?
5. What does Damen tell Ever about magic, and what is her response?
6. Where does Ever go when she leaves Damen, and what shocks her there?
7. Who pops in while Jude and Ever are talking, and what happens then?
8. Where does Ever go from Ava's, who does she talk with, and why does she leave there?
9. What does Ever tell Damen when she leaves Summerland, and how does he react?
10. Who comes to the hospital to talk to Jude and what does he tell them?
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of the reader? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Dark Flame help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Dark Flame? Why or why not?
3. Choose one specific incident in Dark Flame to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Dark Flame. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Noël chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Noël chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Noël's use (or lack) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Noël use too many or too few literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Alyson Noël.
2. What in Noël's background may have helped her in writing Dark Flame? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)