|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Roman talk?
2. What is the infinite void of the immortals called?
3. What does Haven drop at the beginning of Chapter 1?
4. How long has Damen known Ever?
5. What is in the sachet that Ever takes in the bath with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Ever go when she leaves Damen in Chapter 4 and what does she try to do about her aunt?
2. Where does Ever go when she leaves Roman's, and what does she do there?
3. What does Ever do to Jude in Chapter 5?
4. What does Roman say to Ever, and why does Ever leave quickly?
5. Where do Ever and Damen go after Haven leaves, and what does Damen manifest there for them?
6. What do Ever and Haven talk about besides immortality?
7. What does Ever do after dinner in Chapter 5?
8. What does Ever tell Haven about immortality?
9. What do the twins tell Ever?
10. Where does Ever take Haven at the beginning of Chapter 1, and why does she take her there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Dark Flame.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Dark Flame. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Dark Flame. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of interesting questions raised by Dark Flame, questions that Noël most likely wants readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of Noël's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Noël's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Noël and see if/where her life may have influenced her writing.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Dark Flame. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Noël chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Noël chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Noël's use (or lack) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Noël use too many or too few literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)