|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miles say about the change in Haven?
2. From what does Rayne say she and her sister are refugees?
3. What does Damen give Ever in Summerland?
4. What does Damen give Miles?
5. What does Haven do while she is thinking about what Ever has told her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ever ask Jude for help, and what does he tell her?
2. What does Ever try to get Damen to do, and why won't he do it?
3. What does Ever try to tell Damen, and why can't she?
4. What does Ever do to Jude in Chapter 5?
5. How does Ever feel about Jude's behavior at the hospital, and what does Jude ask her?
6. What happened between Ever and Jude the last time she saw him?
7. What does Ever do after dinner in Chapter 5?
8. Where do Ever and Damen go after Haven leaves, and what does Damen manifest there for them?
9. What does Damen give Miles, and why does he give it to him?
10. What do the twins tell Ever?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the world of academe, fantasy fiction is often considered an inferior form of the novel compared to "classic" literature. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think fantasy fiction might be considered second-rate compared to the classics?
2. Do you think fantasy fiction has the same elements as the classics? Why or why not?
3. What are the purposes do you think for people reading "the classics"? What are the purposes for people reading fantasy fiction? Is one purpose better than another? Explain your response.
4. Would you read fantasy fiction even outside an educational setting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Dark Flame.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Dark Flame. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Dark Flame. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Dark Flame is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book whose title you still didn't understand, even after finishing the book? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again? Why or why not?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)