|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miles say about Roman?
2. What does Haven drop at the beginning of Chapter 1?
3. What does Ever give Haven that she has to wear everyday forever?
4. How does Ever take Jude to the emergency room?
5. What does Damen give Ever in Summerland?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ever feel about Jude's behavior at the hospital, and what does Jude ask her?
2. What does Ever do in her bedroom, and how does that turn out?
3. What does Ever tell Haven about immortality?
4. Where does Ever go when she leaves Damen, and what shocks her there?
5. What do Ever and Damen think of Haven's attitude, and what do they decide to do about it?
6. Why does Ever need an antidote?
7. What does Roman say to Ever, and why does Ever leave quickly?
8. How does Ever feel about herself since she became immortal and why?
9. Who does Ever see in Summerland, and what surprises her about that person?
10. What party do Ever and Damen go to, and how does Ever almost embarrass herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Dark Flame based upon the criteria you decided upon in #1 and judge if Dark Flame is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Dark Flame a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Sometimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than an action-driven one, and sometimes, it's the other way around. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character-driven? Action-driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character-driven versus action-driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not?
5. What type of plot do you think Dark Flame is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Dark Flame.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Dark Flame. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Dark Flame. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)