|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jude say to Miles about Ever's attempts to make up for hurting him?
2. Why is Ever upset with Jude?
3. What does Ever say is the reason she is asking Jude for help about Roman?
4. What is the first thing Ever notices when she gets to Summerland?
5. What does Ever do when Haven shows up at Roman's store?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Damen show Ever in the place he manifests, and why does he know that place?
2. What do Ever and Damen think of Haven's attitude, and what do they decide to do about it?
3. What does Ever do in Summerland, and why is it good for her? What does Ever tell Damen about Jude?
4. What does Ava tell Ever about the bond with Roman?
5. What does Damen tell Ever about magic, and what is her response?
6. Where does Ever go when she leaves Damen, and what shocks her there?
7. Who pops in while Jude and Ever are talking, and what happens then?
8. Where does Ever go from Ava's, who does she talk with, and why does she leave there?
9. What does Ever tell Damen when she leaves Summerland, and how does he react?
10. Who comes to the hospital to talk to Jude and what does he tell them?
Essay Topic 1
In the world of academe, fantasy fiction is often considered an inferior form of the novel compared to "classic" literature. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think fantasy fiction might be considered second-rate compared to the classics?
2. Do you think fantasy fiction has the same elements as the classics? Why or why not?
3. What are the purposes do you think for people reading "the classics"? What are the purposes for people reading fantasy fiction? Is one purpose better than another? Explain your response.
4. Would you read fantasy fiction even outside an educational setting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Dark Flame based upon the criteria you decided upon in #1 and judge if Dark Flame is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Dark Flame a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of the reader? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Dark Flame help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Dark Flame? Why or why not?
3. Choose one specific incident in Dark Flame to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
This section contains 3,065 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)