|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ever sprinkle on her athame before putting it in a flame?
2. From what does Rayne say she and her sister are refugees?
3. What was Damen's relationship with Marie Antoinette?
4. How does Ever take Jude to the emergency room?
5. How long has Damen known Ever?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ever react to Jude's appearance?
2. Where does Ever go when she leaves Ava, and what does she do there?
3. Where does Ever end up in Summerland, and what does she think about there?
4. How does Ever end up back in Summerland?
5. What does Ever try to tell Damen, and why can't she?
6. How does Ava begin to help Ever?
7. Why does Ever visit Damen, and what do they discuss?
8. Where does Ever take Roman, and how does Roman end up dead?
9. What does Damen tell Ever about magic, and what is her response?
10. What do the twins tell Ever?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Dark Flame based upon the criteria you decided upon in #1 and judge if Dark Flame is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Dark Flame a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Haven is convinced that Ever is jealous of her because now Haven has all the powers of immortality that will make her stand out and be less of a nobody. Ever's bond with Roman makes this seem even more likely and fuels the growing angst between her and her former best friend. This leaves the reader convinced that Haven will grow to be trouble for Ever in the future. Ever's bond with Roman makes her act inappropriately each time she goes near him. For this reason, Ever becomes more and more determined to break the bond. However, all avenues seem cut off from her, including her ability to talk to Damen about it and her ability to get answers in Summerland from the Great Hall of Learning. For this reason, Ever becomes frustrated and frightened that she will not be able to repair this mistake.
1. Projection is putting our own feelings onto someone else. Explain how Haven's belief about Ever is probably projection. Use examples from your own life and Dark Flame to support your answer.
2. Using Ava's definition of the Law of Attraction; that which we focus on is what we draw to us, explain how this "law" might apply to Ever's situation with Roman. Use examples from your own life and Dark Flame to support your answer.
3. Ever becomes frustrated and frightened that she will not be able to repair this mistake. Discuss Ever's state of mind and the how it might affect her ability to correct her mistake. Use examples from your own life and Dark Flame to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 2,902 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)