|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the nurse hand Ever?
2. What is Jude doing that he suggests would be helpful to Ever when she stops by to see him?
3. What does Haven think is the reason Ever does not want her to be around Roman?
4. What does Ever do to prove Jude is immortal?
5. What does Damen give Ever in Summerland?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ever feel about Jude's behavior at the hospital, and what does Jude ask her?
2. What do the twins tell Ever?
3. Why does Ever need an antidote?
4. What does Ever do to Jude in Chapter 5?
5. What other picture does Ever see in the twins' house, and what does she realize?
6. What does Ever try to get Damen to do, and why won't he do it?
7. What does Damen tell Ever about magic, and what is her response?
8. What does Damen show Ever in the place he manifests, and why does he know that place?
9. How does Ever find out about Roman's life?
10. What does Damen give Miles, and why does he give it to him?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Dark Flame.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Dark Flame. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Dark Flame. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Haven is convinced that Ever is jealous of her because now Haven has all the powers of immortality that will make her stand out and be less of a nobody. Ever's bond with Roman makes this seem even more likely and fuels the growing angst between her and her former best friend. This leaves the reader convinced that Haven will grow to be trouble for Ever in the future. Ever's bond with Roman makes her act inappropriately each time she goes near him. For this reason, Ever becomes more and more determined to break the bond. However, all avenues seem cut off from her, including her ability to talk to Damen about it and her ability to get answers in Summerland from the Great Hall of Learning. For this reason, Ever becomes frustrated and frightened that she will not be able to repair this mistake.
1. Projection is putting our own feelings onto someone else. Explain how Haven's belief about Ever is probably projection. Use examples from your own life and Dark Flame to support your answer.
2. Using Ava's definition of the Law of Attraction; that which we focus on is what we draw to us, explain how this "law" might apply to Ever's situation with Roman. Use examples from your own life and Dark Flame to support your answer.
3. Ever becomes frustrated and frightened that she will not be able to repair this mistake. Discuss Ever's state of mind and the how it might affect her ability to correct her mistake. Use examples from your own life and Dark Flame to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of immortality in Dark Flame. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with immortality? Why? What are some symbols of immortality? Symbols of death? What characters are immortal? How do they handle their immortality?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of friendship in Dark Flame. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? How are friendships in Dark Flame threatened? Which friendships are strengthened? Which fail or are weakened?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of obsession in Dark Flame. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most obsessed? Why? What are some behaviors that demonstrate obsession?
This section contains 2,987 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)