|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Haven do while she is thinking about what Ever has told her?
2. What does Damen give Ever in Summerland?
3. What does Jude tell Ever what he thinks went wrong with her reverse spell?
4. What does Ever do when Haven shows up at Roman's store?
5. What does Damen give Miles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ever do after dinner in Chapter 5?
2. What does Ever do to Jude in Chapter 5?
3. What happened between Ever and Jude the last time she saw him?
4. How does Ever feel about Jude's behavior at the hospital, and what does Jude ask her?
5. Where do Ever and Damen go after Haven leaves, and what does Damen manifest there for them?
6. What does Ever do in her bedroom, and how does that turn out?
7. Where does Ever go when she leaves Damen, and what shocks her there?
8. Who does Ever see in Summerland, and what surprises her about that person?
9. Why does Ever ask Jude for help, and what does he tell her?
10. What do Ever and Haven talk about besides immortality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Haven is convinced that Ever is jealous of her because now Haven has all the powers of immortality that will make her stand out and be less of a nobody. Ever's bond with Roman makes this seem even more likely and fuels the growing angst between her and her former best friend. This leaves the reader convinced that Haven will grow to be trouble for Ever in the future. Ever's bond with Roman makes her act inappropriately each time she goes near him. For this reason, Ever becomes more and more determined to break the bond. However, all avenues seem cut off from her, including her ability to talk to Damen about it and her ability to get answers in Summerland from the Great Hall of Learning. For this reason, Ever becomes frustrated and frightened that she will not be able to repair this mistake.
1. Projection is putting our own feelings onto someone else. Explain how Haven's belief about Ever is probably projection. Use examples from your own life and Dark Flame to support your answer.
2. Using Ava's definition of the Law of Attraction; that which we focus on is what we draw to us, explain how this "law" might apply to Ever's situation with Roman. Use examples from your own life and Dark Flame to support your answer.
3. Ever becomes frustrated and frightened that she will not be able to repair this mistake. Discuss Ever's state of mind and the how it might affect her ability to correct her mistake. Use examples from your own life and Dark Flame to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of the reader? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Dark Flame help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Dark Flame? Why or why not?
3. Choose one specific incident in Dark Flame to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Ever and Haven. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Damen and Roman. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Dark Flame help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)