|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ever's station in life when she lived in France during the reign of Marie Antoinette?
2. What does Damen give Ever in Summerland?
3. What does Damen give Miles?
4. What worries Ever about Haven and the elixir?
5. What does Ever see in the driveway when she goes home after telling Haven about her new life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ever ask Jude for help, and what does he tell her?
2. What do Ever and Haven talk about besides immortality?
3. Why does Ever visit Damen, and what do they discuss?
4. How does Ever feel about Jude's behavior at the hospital, and what does Jude ask her?
5. How does Ever feel about herself since she became immortal and why?
6. What party do Ever and Damen go to, and how does Ever almost embarrass herself?
7. What does Ever try to get Damen to do, and why won't he do it?
8. Where do Ever and Damen go after Haven leaves, and what does Damen manifest there for them?
9. Where does Ever take Haven at the beginning of Chapter 1, and why does she take her there?
10. What does Ever do to Jude in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, perhaps the majority, end on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Dark Flame and whether or not it fulfills all three, two, or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Dark Flame is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, and/or stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Dark Flame is one book in a series of novels involving Ever and Damen. Discuss the following.
1. What are some of the advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are some of the disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier, more difficult, or about the same difficulty level to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Ever feels she has made many mistakes since learning of her immortality, and she is obsessed with attempting to fix these mistakes. However, the more Ever tries to fix her mistakes, the more mistakes she makes. This includes Ever's relationship with Jude. Jude has been in love with Ever in each of their lives over the last four hundred years, but Jude does not know about his past lives because he is not immortal. Ever thinks Jude is immortal and that he is part of Roman's rebels, but learns that he is not. This complicates the situation for Ever because she has placed herself in a position where she has admitted too much to Jude and broken the first rule of immortality: don't tell anyone.
1. Why do you think Ever keeps making mistakes while trying to fix her past mistakes? Use examples from your own life and Dark Flame to support your answer.
2. Discuss what Ever's actions towards Jude when she throws him and then cuts him without any supporting evidence demonstrates her general emotional state throughout much of Dark Flame. Use examples from your own life and Dark Flame to support your answer.
3. Explain how you think Ever and Jude's past lives have affected their relationship in the present time. Use examples from your own life and Dark Flame to support your answer.
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)