|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Haven drop at the beginning of Chapter 1?
2. What does Jude say to Miles about Ever's attempts to make up for hurting him?
3. What does Sabine think might be wrong with Ever?
4. What does Ever give Damen when she tells him he wins the bet about Haven's reaction to immortality?
5. What does Ever want Damen to do with the place he manifested in Summerland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Damen and Ever go from Summerland, what happens there, and how does Ever feel? What does Ava tell her?
2. What does Ever tell Damen when she leaves Summerland, and how does he react?
3. Where does Ever go when she leaves Damen, and what shocks her there?
4. Where do Ever and Damen go after Haven leaves, and what does Damen manifest there for them?
5. How does Haven feel about what Ever says Roman did?
6. What does Ever do after dinner in Chapter 5?
7. What does Roman want to prove when Ever goes to his house?
8. What does Ever tell Haven about immortality?
9. Who does Ever see in Summerland, and what surprises her about that person?
10. Where does Ever go when she leaves Roman's house, and what does she do?
Essay Topic 1
Ever feels she has made many mistakes since learning of her immortality, and she is obsessed with attempting to fix these mistakes. However, the more Ever tries to fix her mistakes, the more mistakes she makes. This includes Ever's relationship with Jude. Jude has been in love with Ever in each of their lives over the last four hundred years, but Jude does not know about his past lives because he is not immortal. Ever thinks Jude is immortal and that he is part of Roman's rebels, but learns that he is not. This complicates the situation for Ever because she has placed herself in a position where she has admitted too much to Jude and broken the first rule of immortality: don't tell anyone.
1. Why do you think Ever keeps making mistakes while trying to fix her past mistakes? Use examples from your own life and Dark Flame to support your answer.
2. Discuss what Ever's actions towards Jude when she throws him and then cuts him without any supporting evidence demonstrates her general emotional state throughout much of Dark Flame. Use examples from your own life and Dark Flame to support your answer.
3. Explain how you think Ever and Jude's past lives have affected their relationship in the present time. Use examples from your own life and Dark Flame to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of the reader? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Dark Flame help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Dark Flame? Why or why not?
3. Choose one specific incident in Dark Flame to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Alyson Noël.
2. What in Noël's background may have helped her in writing Dark Flame? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 3,053 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)