|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ever tell Haven about Roman that Haven does not believe?
2. What does Ever think about the bad advice the twins gave her?
3. What kind of bracelet does Ever always wear?
4. What does Ever ask Haven to do about Roman?
5. What does Ever tell Jude about Roman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ever do in Summerland, and why is it good for her? What does Ever tell Damen about Jude?
2. Why does Ever need an antidote?
3. What does Ever try to tell Damen, and why can't she?
4. What do Ever and Haven talk about besides immortality?
5. What party do Ever and Damen go to, and how does Ever almost embarrass herself?
6. What do the twins tell Ever?
7. Why does Ever ask Jude for help, and what does he tell her?
8. How does Ever feel about herself since she became immortal and why?
9. What happened between Ever and Jude the last time she saw him?
10. What does Ever do after dinner in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Dark Flame.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Dark Flame. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Dark Flame. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, perhaps the majority, end on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Dark Flame and whether or not it fulfills all three, two, or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Dark Flame is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, and/or stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Dark Flame. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Noël chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Noël chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Noël's use (or lack) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Noël use too many or too few literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)