Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jude say to Miles about Ever's attempts to make up for hurting him?
2. Why is Ever upset with Jude?
3. What does Ever say is the reason she is asking Jude for help about Roman?
4. What is the first thing Ever notices when she gets to Summerland?
5. What does Ever do when Haven shows up at Roman's store?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Damen show Ever in the place he manifests, and why does he know that place?
2. What do Ever and Damen think of Haven's attitude, and what do they decide to do about it?
3. What does Ever do in Summerland, and why is it good for her? What does Ever tell Damen about Jude?
4. What does Ava tell Ever about the bond with Roman?
5. What does Damen tell Ever about magic, and what is her response?
6. Where does Ever go when she leaves Damen, and what shocks her there?
7. Who pops in while Jude and Ever are talking, and what happens then?
8. Where does Ever go from Ava's, who does she talk with, and why does she leave there?
9. What does Ever tell Damen when she leaves Summerland, and how does he react?
10. Who comes to the hospital to talk to Jude and what does he tell them?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Dark Flame.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Dark Flame. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Dark Flame. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Alyson Noël.
2. What in Noël's background may have helped her in writing Dark Flame? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of interesting questions raised by Dark Flame, questions that Noël most likely wants readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of Noël's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Noël's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Noël and see if/where her life may have influenced her writing.
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)