|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ever tell Jude is a prop?
2. Why is Ever upset with Jude?
3. What does Damen give Miles?
4. What was Damen's relationship with Marie Antoinette?
5. How long can Haven last without drinking any more elixir?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened between Ever and Jude the last time she saw him?
2. What does Damen tell Ever about magic, and what is her response?
3. Why does Haven get angry at Damen, and what does Haven tell Damen?
4. Where does Ever take Haven at the beginning of Chapter 1, and why does she take her there?
5. What is Roman doing when Ever goes to see him, what does she tell him, and to what do they agree?
6. Where do Jude and Ever go in Summerland?
7. Where do Damen and Ever go from Summerland, what happens there, and how does Ever feel? What does Ava tell her?
8. How does Ever react to Jude's appearance?
9. How does Ever feel about herself since she became immortal and why?
10. What does Ever do to Jude in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Dark Flame. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Noël chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Noël chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Noël's use (or lack) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Noël use too many or too few literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of interesting questions raised by Dark Flame, questions that Noël most likely wants readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of Noël's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Noël's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Noël and see if/where her life may have influenced her writing.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of immortality in Dark Flame. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with immortality? Why? What are some symbols of immortality? Symbols of death? What characters are immortal? How do they handle their immortality?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of friendship in Dark Flame. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? How are friendships in Dark Flame threatened? Which friendships are strengthened? Which fail or are weakened?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of obsession in Dark Flame. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most obsessed? Why? What are some behaviors that demonstrate obsession?
This section contains 3,035 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)