|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ever ask Haven to do with her?
2. What happens to Ever when she tries to tell Damen about the bond with Roman?
3. What does Damen give Ever in Summerland?
4. What does Ever do when Haven shows up at Roman's store?
5. Who planted most of the greenery at Jude's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes to the hospital to talk to Jude and what does he tell them?
2. What does Ever try to tell Damen, and why can't she?
3. Where does Ever go when she leaves Damen, and what shocks her there?
4. What does Damen give Miles, and why does he give it to him?
5. What do Ever and Damen think of Haven's attitude, and what do they decide to do about it?
6. Where do Ever and Damen go after Haven leaves, and what does Damen manifest there for them?
7. What does Ever do in her bedroom, and how does that turn out?
8. How does Ever feel about Jude's behavior at the hospital, and what does Jude ask her?
9. What party do Ever and Damen go to, and how does Ever almost embarrass herself?
10. What does Ever tell Haven about immortality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Alyson Noël.
2. What in Noël's background may have helped her in writing Dark Flame? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Dark Flame. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Noël chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Noël chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Noël's use (or lack) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Noël use too many or too few literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Haven is convinced that Ever is jealous of her because now Haven has all the powers of immortality that will make her stand out and be less of a nobody. Ever's bond with Roman makes this seem even more likely and fuels the growing angst between her and her former best friend. This leaves the reader convinced that Haven will grow to be trouble for Ever in the future. Ever's bond with Roman makes her act inappropriately each time she goes near him. For this reason, Ever becomes more and more determined to break the bond. However, all avenues seem cut off from her, including her ability to talk to Damen about it and her ability to get answers in Summerland from the Great Hall of Learning. For this reason, Ever becomes frustrated and frightened that she will not be able to repair this mistake.
1. Projection is putting our own feelings onto someone else. Explain how Haven's belief about Ever is probably projection. Use examples from your own life and Dark Flame to support your answer.
2. Using Ava's definition of the Law of Attraction; that which we focus on is what we draw to us, explain how this "law" might apply to Ever's situation with Roman. Use examples from your own life and Dark Flame to support your answer.
3. Ever becomes frustrated and frightened that she will not be able to repair this mistake. Discuss Ever's state of mind and the how it might affect her ability to correct her mistake. Use examples from your own life and Dark Flame to support your answer.
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)