|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jude tell Ever about binding spells?
2. What does Ever say to Jude about rogues?
3. What does Damen give Ever in Summerland?
4. What does Damen send to Ever's thoughts telepathically for encouragement?
5. What does Miles say about the change in Haven?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Damen show Ever in the place he manifests, and why does he know that place?
2. Of what does Haven accuse Ever and why?
3. Where does Ever go when she leaves Damen in Chapter 4 and what does she try to do about her aunt?
4. What does Ever try to tell Damen, and why can't she?
5. Where does Ever take Haven at the beginning of Chapter 1, and why does she take her there?
6. What happened between Ever and Jude the last time she saw him?
7. What do the twins tell Ever?
8. What does Ever do in Summerland, and why is it good for her? What does Ever tell Damen about Jude?
9. What does Ever tell Haven about immortality?
10. Who comes to the hospital to talk to Jude and what does he tell them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by Dark Flame, questions that Noël most likely wants readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of Noël's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Noël's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Noël and see if/where her life may have influenced her writing.
Essay Topic 2
Haven is convinced that Ever is jealous of her because now Haven has all the powers of immortality that will make her stand out and be less of a nobody. Ever's bond with Roman makes this seem even more likely and fuels the growing angst between her and her former best friend. This leaves the reader convinced that Haven will grow to be trouble for Ever in the future. Ever's bond with Roman makes her act inappropriately each time she goes near him. For this reason, Ever becomes more and more determined to break the bond. However, all avenues seem cut off from her, including her ability to talk to Damen about it and her ability to get answers in Summerland from the Great Hall of Learning. For this reason, Ever becomes frustrated and frightened that she will not be able to repair this mistake.
1. Projection is putting our own feelings onto someone else. Explain how Haven's belief about Ever is probably projection. Use examples from your own life and Dark Flame to support your answer.
2. Using Ava's definition of the Law of Attraction; that which we focus on is what we draw to us, explain how this "law" might apply to Ever's situation with Roman. Use examples from your own life and Dark Flame to support your answer.
3. Ever becomes frustrated and frightened that she will not be able to repair this mistake. Discuss Ever's state of mind and the how it might affect her ability to correct her mistake. Use examples from your own life and Dark Flame to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in Dark Flame? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in Dark Flame including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Dark Flame and your own life to support your opinion.
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)