|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ever think is the worst part of being immortal?
2. What does Damen manifest in Summerland?
3. What does Miles say about Roman?
4. What does Ever say to Jude about rogues?
5. Who planted most of the greenery at Jude's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ever and Haven talk about besides immortality?
2. Why does Ever ask Jude for help, and what does he tell her?
3. How does Haven feel about what Ever says Roman did?
4. What do the twins tell Ever?
5. What does Damen give Miles, and why does he give it to him?
6. Where does Ever go when she leaves Roman's, and what does she do there?
7. What happened between Ever and Jude the last time she saw him?
8. Of what does Haven accuse Ever and why?
9. How does Ever feel about herself since she became immortal and why?
10. What does Ever do after dinner in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ever feels she has made many mistakes since learning of her immortality, and she is obsessed with attempting to fix these mistakes. However, the more Ever tries to fix her mistakes, the more mistakes she makes. This includes Ever's relationship with Jude. Jude has been in love with Ever in each of their lives over the last four hundred years, but Jude does not know about his past lives because he is not immortal. Ever thinks Jude is immortal and that he is part of Roman's rebels, but learns that he is not. This complicates the situation for Ever because she has placed herself in a position where she has admitted too much to Jude and broken the first rule of immortality: don't tell anyone.
1. Why do you think Ever keeps making mistakes while trying to fix her past mistakes? Use examples from your own life and Dark Flame to support your answer.
2. Discuss what Ever's actions towards Jude when she throws him and then cuts him without any supporting evidence demonstrates her general emotional state throughout much of Dark Flame. Use examples from your own life and Dark Flame to support your answer.
3. Explain how you think Ever and Jude's past lives have affected their relationship in the present time. Use examples from your own life and Dark Flame to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Dark Flame, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Dark Flame. (The subplots may not contain every element of the major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not? Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Dark Flame.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Dark Flame. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Dark Flame. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)