|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What worries Ever about Haven and the elixir?
2. What does Jude say to Miles about Ever's attempts to make up for hurting him?
3. Where does Ever go after her dinner?
4. What does Damen give Miles?
5. What does Ever do after she has dinner with Sabine and Sabine's date?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ever feel about herself since she became immortal and why?
2. Where does Ever take Haven at the beginning of Chapter 1, and why does she take her there?
3. What does Ever do in Summerland, and why is it good for her? What does Ever tell Damen about Jude?
4. Where does Ever go when she leaves Damen, and what shocks her there?
5. Of what does Haven accuse Ever and why?
6. What does Ever try to get Damen to do, and why won't he do it?
7. How does Ever feel about Jude's behavior at the hospital, and what does Jude ask her?
8. What does Ever do to Jude in Chapter 5?
9. Where does Ever go when she leaves Roman's, and what does she do there?
10. What does Ever tell Haven about immortality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dark Flame belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel?
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in Dark Flame? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in Dark Flame including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Dark Flame and your own life to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of the reader? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Dark Flame help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Dark Flame? Why or why not?
3. Choose one specific incident in Dark Flame to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)