|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jude say is all he wants from Ever?
2. What is in the envelope Sabine gives Ever?
3. What does Haven do with the elixir Damen gives her?
4. What does Eva wear around her neck?
5. What does Ever call Damen's actions when he thought he was too extravagant in the past?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes to the hospital to talk to Jude and what does he tell them?
2. Why does Haven get angry at Damen, and what does Haven tell Damen?
3. What does Ever do in Summerland, and why is it good for her? What does Ever tell Damen about Jude?
4. Why does Ever need an antidote?
5. Where does Ever go when she leaves Damen, and what shocks her there?
6. What do Ever and Damen think of Haven's attitude, and what do they decide to do about it?
7. What do Ever and Haven talk about besides immortality?
8. Who does Ever see in Summerland, and what surprises her about that person?
9. What happened between Ever and Jude the last time she saw him?
10. Where does Ever go when she leaves Damen in Chapter 4 and what does she try to do about her aunt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dark Flame belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of immortality in Dark Flame. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with immortality? Why? What are some symbols of immortality? Symbols of death? What characters are immortal? How do they handle their immortality?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of friendship in Dark Flame. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? How are friendships in Dark Flame threatened? Which friendships are strengthened? Which fail or are weakened?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of obsession in Dark Flame. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most obsessed? Why? What are some behaviors that demonstrate obsession?
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Alyson Noël.
2. What in Noël's background may have helped her in writing Dark Flame? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)