|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jude say is all he wants from Ever?
2. What is the first thing Ever notices when she gets to Summerland?
3. What color are the words "mystics & moonbeams" on the envelope Sabrine gives Ever?
4. What does Ever think about the bad advice the twins gave her?
5. What did the spell Ever performed towards Roman do to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ever visit Damen, and what do they discuss?
2. How does Haven feel about what Ever says Roman did?
3. Where does Ever go when she leaves Roman's, and what does she do there?
4. How does Ever react to Jude's appearance?
5. How does Ever feel about Jude's behavior at the hospital, and what does Jude ask her?
6. Where do Ever and Damen go after Haven leaves, and what does Damen manifest there for them?
7. What party do Ever and Damen go to, and how does Ever almost embarrass herself?
8. Why does Ever ask Jude for help, and what does he tell her?
9. Of what does Haven accuse Ever and why?
10. What does Roman say to Ever, and why does Ever leave quickly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Dark Flame, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Dark Flame. (The subplots may not contain every element of the major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not? Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of interesting questions raised by Dark Flame, questions that Noël most likely wants readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of Noël's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Noël's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Noël and see if/where her life may have influenced her writing.
Essay Topic 3
Dark Flame is one book in a series of novels involving Ever and Damen. Discuss the following.
1. What are some of the advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are some of the disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier, more difficult, or about the same difficulty level to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)