|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the additional man arrive with in the hotel room?
2. How can the type of theater Kopit tries to depict be characterized?
3. Which word describes the hotel where Scene 1 takes place?
4. What happens to the object after something is broken off of it?
5. What is the reaction from the men to the object in the hotel room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Madame Rosepettle want any light in the hotel room? Why is this ironic?
2. What was extraordinary about Madame Rosepettle's pregnancy?
3. How does the author present Jonathan's character in Scene 1?
4. What is Madame Rosepettle's bedroom like? Does this describe what you would have expected?
5. How does the theme of sexuality emerge in Scene 2?
6. What is the last line of the play? How is this meaningful?
7. How does Madame Rosepettle treat the bellboys in Scene 1?
8. What attractive qualities do you think Rosalie sees in Jonathan?
9. How does Madame Rosepettle react to the commodore?
10. Why does Rosalie call Jonathan by the wrong name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What effect does early 1960's Cuba have on Kopit's novel? How does it add to the story? What impact does the war have on characters, and how might they be different had the story been set during a different time?
Essay Topic 2
Identify at least three instances of foreshadowing in Kopit's novel. Why would Kopit include these instances? How would the story change if they had not been included?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of loneliness is present throughout Kopit's play. What can readers learn about Kopit's characters when they are in the midst of loneliness? Be sure to give specific examples.
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)