|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Madame Rosepettle say she received the best treatment?
2. In Scene 1, dialogue and characters seem to be ________________.
3. In what country does the play take place?
4. In what year is this play written?
5. Why does Jonathan draw Xs in Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Rosalie's loneliness described in Scene 2?
2. How does Madame Rosepettle treat the bellboys in Scene 1?
3. Would you like to live the lifestyle Madame Rosepettle leads? Why or why not?
4. Are the characters of Rosalie and Madame Rosepettle similar in any way? How?
5. What is Rosalie's job? Does she enjoy it?
6. How does Madame Rosepettle react to her husband's mistress?
7. What does Rosalie say to Madame Rosepettle in return? What does this tell you about her character?
8. From the information given in Scene 2, is Rosalie a good or a bad influence on Jonathan?
9. What was extraordinary about Madame Rosepettle's pregnancy?
10. Why do many characters have "rose" incorporated into their names? What do you think this symbolizes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some have identified the plot of Oh Dad, Poor Dad as somewhat ridiculous and/or confusing. Would you agree or disagree? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The title of Kopit's work, Oh Dad, Poor Dad, Momma's Hung You in the Closet and I'm Feeling So Sad, seems straightforward yet indicates a particular significance about one character. In your opinion, why does Kopit choose this particular title for his work? What does this title signify? What does it tell readers about the story?
Essay Topic 3
How does Kopit incorporate the concept of man versus self in his play? Which character do you think is the best example of man versus self and why?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)