|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the author suggest will become Madame Rosepettle's next lover?
2. What does Madame Rosepettle ask the bellboys about in the harbor?
3. Who follows Madame Rosepettle around the room?
4. Who scolds the men in the hotel room?
5. When Madame Rosepettle asks Jonathan to do something, what does he do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the commodore think when Madame Rosepettle tells him about her husband?
2. What impact does Jonathan's speech impediment have on readers' perceptions of his character?
3. Why did Madame Rosepettle decide to marry Albert Rosepettle?
4. What attractive qualities do you think Rosalie sees in Jonathan?
5. Why does Madame Rosepettle get upset with the bellboys at the end of Scene 1?
6. From what you know in Scene 1, do you like Jonathan? Why or why not?
7. How can you explain the minimal amount of reaction to corpses in Scene 3?
8. How does the theme of sexuality emerge in Scene 2?
9. How is Jonathan's loneliness described in Scene 2?
10. What are the families that Rosalie works for like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the concept of a tragic hero (or heroine). Describe one character in Kopit's play that you think can be described as a tragic hero, and explain what makes the character fit the description. Why does Kopit decide to include this particular character in his book? What does he or she represent?
Essay Topic 2
What is the purpose of a foil in literature? Describe one character in Kopit's play that you believe is a foil of another character. Why do you think Kopit may have created characters in his work that emphasize each other's qualities?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think is the main theme of Kopit's play? Identify at least three events in Oh Dad, Poor Dad that communicate this theme.
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)