|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many lines does Jonathan have in Scene 1?
2. What quality does Madame Rosepettle admit to not being?
3. Who does Madame Rosepettle plan to meet at the end of Scene 1?
4. Why does Madame Rosepettle complain to the bellboys about her piranha?
5. How would the plot of the first scene be described?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the ridiculous and absurd features in Scene 1?
2. Why do you think Madame Rosepettle never wants Jonathan to leave the hotel room?
3. What personality quirks of characters in Scene 1 are particularly shocking?
4. What does the commodore think when Madame Rosepettle tells him about her husband?
5. Why doesn't Madame Rosepettle want any light in the hotel room? Why is this ironic?
6. What do you make of Jonathan's fear of leaving his hotel room?
7. Do you think Madame Rosepettle is insane? Why or why not?
8. Why does Jonathan bring up the topic of his mother's Venus flytraps?
9. How does the author present Jonathan's character in Scene 1?
10. How does the theme of sexuality emerge in Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify at least three instances of foreshadowing in Kopit's novel. Why would Kopit include these instances? How would the story change if they had not been included?
Essay Topic 2
What is the purpose of a foil in literature? Describe one character in Kopit's play that you believe is a foil of another character. Why do you think Kopit may have created characters in his work that emphasize each other's qualities?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of loneliness is present throughout Kopit's play. What can readers learn about Kopit's characters when they are in the midst of loneliness? Be sure to give specific examples.
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)