|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word describes the hotel where Scene 1 takes place?
2. This play is a reaction to what artistic concept?
3. On what does Jonathan draw Xs in Scene 1?
4. Why doesn't Madame Rosepettle want any sunlight to enter the room?
5. Where does Madame Rosepettle say she received the best treatment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Madame Rosepettle give the bellboys as a tip? What does this tell you about Madame Rosepettle?
2. Do you think Madame Rosepettle is insane? Why or why not?
3. At what point does Jonathan's father's body come out of the closet? Is this at an appropriate time, in terms of symbolism?
4. How does Madame Rosepettle react to her husband's mistress?
5. The commodore's chair seems to move on its own in Scene 3. How do you explain this?
6. In what way is Scene 3 dream-like?
7. What are some of the ridiculous and absurd features in Scene 1?
8. Describe the setting of Scene 1.
9. Describe Jonathan and his surroundings at the beginning of Scene 3.
10. Why do you think Madame Rosepettle never wants Jonathan to leave the hotel room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character in Kopit's book is most likable? Why? Which character do you like the least? What is it about that particular character that causes you to dislike him or her?
Essay Topic 2
Madame Rosepettle experiences flashbacks in this story that refer to her relationship with her dead husband. What do these flashbacks teach us about Madame Rosepettle? What purpose do the flashbacks serve in the story?
Essay Topic 3
How is Kopit's story ultimately resolved? Do you think the plot was adequately resolved? In your opinion, what could have been added (or removed) to make it more meaningful?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)