|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the occupation of the men coming into the hotel room?
2. What type of room do the men enter as they are coming into the hotel room?
3. What word can describe the object the men are moving into the hotel room at the beginning of the play?
4. What does Madame Rosepettle give the men as a tip?
5. What does Madame Rosepettle ask the bellboys about in the harbor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Madame Rosepettle get upset with the bellboys at the end of Scene 1?
2. What do you make of Jonathan's fear of leaving his hotel room?
3. What is Commodore Roseabove like? Do you like him?
4. Describe the setting of Scene 1.
5. Describe Jonathan and his surroundings at the beginning of Scene 3.
6. Why does Rosalie call Jonathan by the wrong name?
7. What are your initial perceptions of Rosalie?
8. How can you explain the minimal amount of reaction to corpses in Scene 3?
9. What is Rosalie's job? Does she enjoy it?
10. What role does the telescope play in Jonathan's relationship with Rosalie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Compare and contrast the characters of Madame Rosepettle and Jonathan. How are their lives different? How are the characters the same?
Essay Topic 2How is Kopit's story ultimately resolved? Do you think the plot was adequately resolved? In your opinion, what could have been added (or removed) to make it more meaningful?
Essay Topic 3Identify the concept of a tragic hero (or heroine). Describe one character in Kopit's play that you think can be described as a tragic hero, and explain what makes the character fit the description. Why does Kopit decide to include this particular character in his book? What does he or she represent?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)