|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person Madame Rosepettle plans to meet at the end of Scene 1 own?
2. Why does Madame Rosepettle complain to the bellboys about her piranha?
3. What is the title of the person who stands up for himself to Madame Rosepettle?
4. Who follows Madame Rosepettle around the room?
5. Which character can be described as forceful and rude?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Scene 2 end?
2. Why do you think Madame Rosepettle never wants Jonathan to leave the hotel room?
3. From the information given in Scene 2, is Rosalie a good or a bad influence on Jonathan?
4. What are your initial perceptions of Rosalie?
5. From what you know in Scene 1, do you like Jonathan? Why or why not?
6. What attractive qualities do you think Rosalie sees in Jonathan?
7. What does Madame Rosepettle want to teach Jonathan about how to treat other people?
8. What are the families that Rosalie works for like?
9. Why does Madame Rosepettle refer to Jonathan by different names each time she speaks to him?
10. Do you think Madame Rosepettle is insane? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What effect does early 1960's Cuba have on Kopit's novel? How does it add to the story? What impact does the war have on characters, and how might they be different had the story been set during a different time?
Essay Topic 2
Kopit uses a great deal of imagery in this play, particularly in the final chapters. What specific examples of imagery did Kopit include? How does this imagery add to the readers' experience of the story?
Essay Topic 3
There are several instances of irony in Kopit's book. Identify at least one of these instances and describe why Kopit may have used irony when describing this particular situation.
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)