|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Madame Rosepettle asks Jonathan to do something, what does he do?
2. In Scene 1, dialogue and characters seem to be ________________.
3. How many lines does Jonathan have in Scene 1?
4. What does Jonathan's relationship with his mother seem to be like?
5. How many men are moving the object?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting of Scene 1.
2. How does the author present Jonathan's character in Scene 1?
3. Why do you think Madame Rosepettle never wants Jonathan to leave the hotel room?
4. What are some of the ridiculous and absurd features in Scene 1?
5. What does the commodore think when Madame Rosepettle tells him about her husband?
6. What impact does Jonathan's speech impediment have on readers' perceptions of his character?
7. Do you like Rosalie? Why or why not?
8. What do you make of Jonathan's fear of leaving his hotel room?
9. How does Madame Rosepettle react to her husband's mistress?
10. At what point does Jonathan's father's body come out of the closet? Is this at an appropriate time, in terms of symbolism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What effect does early 1960's Cuba have on Kopit's novel? How does it add to the story? What impact does the war have on characters, and how might they be different had the story been set during a different time?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Madame Rosepettle and Jonathan. How are their lives different? How are the characters the same?
Essay Topic 3
There are several instances of irony in Kopit's book. Identify at least one of these instances and describe why Kopit may have used irony when describing this particular situation.
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)