|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Scene 1, dialogue and characters seem to be ________________.
(b) Extremely significant.
2. What does Madame Rosepettle ask the bellboys about in the harbor?
(a) A restaurant.
(b) A seal.
(c) A castle.
(d) A yacht.
3. Who refuses to be satisfied with the men in her room?
(a) Jonathan's cat.
(b) Madame Rosepettle's piranha.
(d) Madame Rosepettle.
4. On what does Jonathan draw Xs in Scene 1?
(a) His hand.
(b) The bedspread.
(d) His mother's handkerchief.
5. How can the type of theater Kopit tries to depict be characterized?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a name Madame Rosepettle calls her son?
2. In what year is this play written?
3. What quality does Madame Rosepettle admit to not being?
4. Why does Jonathan draw Xs in Scene 1?
5. Who does Madame Rosepettle plan to meet at the end of Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. From what you know in Scene 1, do you like Jonathan? Why or why not?
2. The commodore's chair seems to move on its own in Scene 3. How do you explain this?
3. What personality quirks of characters in Scene 1 are particularly shocking?
4. In what way is Scene 3 dream-like?
5. Do you think Madame Rosepettle is insane? Why or why not?
6. How does Madame Rosepettle react to her husband's mistress?
7. What are your initial perceptions of Rosalie?
8. What does Rosalie say to Madame Rosepettle in return? What does this tell you about her character?
9. How does the theme of sexuality emerge in Scene 2?
10. Why does Madame Rosepettle get upset with the bellboys at the end of Scene 1?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)