|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Madame Rosepettle say she received the best treatment?
(b) New York City.
(c) Her own home.
(d) Buenos Aires.
2. How does Jonathan treat the bellboys?
(b) As if they are invisible.
(d) He does not interact with them at all.
3. What does Madame Rosepettle say about the tip she gives the bellboys?
(a) It is very valuable.
(b) They don't deserve it.
(c) They earned it with their hard work.
(d) It is all she has.
4. Does Jonathan deliberately try to make the bellboys upset?
(a) Yes, and he does succeed.
(b) It is unclear.
(c) Yes, but he does not succeed.
5. Which character can be described as forceful and rude?
(a) Madame Rosepettle.
(c) The bellboy.
Short Answer Questions
1. This play is a reaction to what artistic concept?
2. Who does Madame Rosepettle tell to make a note to have the bellboys fired?
3. Who scolds the men in the hotel room?
4. How does Madame Rosepettle seem to make others feel?
5. Who refuses to be satisfied with the men in her room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Madame Rosepettle want any light in the hotel room? Why is this ironic?
2. Would you like to live the lifestyle Madame Rosepettle leads? Why or why not?
3. What attractive qualities do you think Rosalie sees in Jonathan?
4. How does the theme of sexuality emerge in Scene 2?
5. Does Madame Rosepettle treat the commodore with respect? Why or why not?
6. From what you know in Scene 1, do you like Jonathan? Why or why not?
7. Why does Jonathan bring up the topic of his mother's Venus flytraps?
8. How do you explain Jonathan's decision to kill the fish and plants?
9. What do you make of Jonathan's claim that he is fulfilled by his coin and stamp collections?
10. How does Madame Rosepettle treat the bellboys in Scene 1?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)