|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Madame Rosepettle want any sunlight to enter the room?
(a) She is in mourning.
(b) Jonathan has just had surgery.
(c) She doesn't wany anyone to see her.
(d) She is sensitive to sunlight.
2. How does Madame Rosepettle seem to make others feel?
(a) Cared for.
3. What breaks off of the object being moved by the men?
(a) A nameplate.
(c) A statuette.
4. What word can describe the object the men are moving into the hotel room at the beginning of the play?
5. In Scene 1, dialogue and characters seem to be ________________.
(c) Extremely significant.
6. On what does Jonathan draw Xs in Scene 1?
(a) His mother's handkerchief.
(b) The bedspread.
(d) His hand.
7. Who refuses to be satisfied with the men in her room?
(a) Madame Rosepettle's piranha.
(b) Madame Rosepettle.
(c) Jonathan's cat.
8. Does Jonathan deliberately try to make the bellboys upset?
(a) Yes, and he does succeed.
(b) It is unclear.
(d) Yes, but he does not succeed.
9. What does Madame Rosepettle's piranha eat?
10. Which phrase best describes Jonathan in terms of his relationship with his mother?
(a) He feels protected by her.
(b) He is her best friend.
(c) He is becoming a rebellious adolescent.
(d) He stays in her shadow.
11. What happens to the object after something is broken off of it?
(b) It is placed on the bed.
(c) It falls to the ground.
(d) It becomes much lighter.
12. What is the title of the person who stands up for himself to Madame Rosepettle?
13. How can the type of theater Kopit tries to depict be characterized?
14. What is the reaction from the men to the object in the hotel room?
(a) They scream and run away.
(b) They do not react.
(c) They are horrified.
(d) They laugh.
15. What literary technique does Kopit use in the final few lines of Scene 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is special about the person Madame Rosepettle plans to meet at the end of Scene 1?
2. On the surface, how is Madame Rosepettle defined?
3. What object are the men moving into the hotel room?
4. What does the additional man arrive with in the hotel room?
5. What quality does Madame Rosepettle admit to not being?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)