Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting of Scene 1.
2. How does Madame Rosepettle treat the bellboys in Scene 1?
3. Describe the interaction between the third bellboy and Madame Rosepettle.
4. How does the author present Jonathan's character in Scene 1?
5. Why doesn't Madame Rosepettle want any light in the hotel room? Why is this ironic?
6. What does Madame Rosepettle want to teach Jonathan about how to treat other people?
7. Why does Madame Rosepettle get upset with the bellboys at the end of Scene 1?
8. Why is Madame Rosepettle particularly interested in the yacht in the harbor?
9. Do you notice any strengths of Madame Rosepettle's character in Scene 1? If so, what are they?
10. How does Jonathan react to Madame Rosepettle in Scene 1?
11. In what way is Jonathan passive-aggressive toward his mother?
12. Why does Madame Rosepettle refer to Jonathan by different names each time she speaks to him?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)