|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Daniel's first client shortly after he begins his new work detail?
2. According to Rosa's mother, what is Auschwitz?
3. What does Daniel want to tell those just arriving at the Auschwitz camp?
4. Once Daniel and his father are assigned to barracks, what does he sleep on?
5. During his march back to the barracks from work, what does Daniel tell his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use the train ride to symbolize how the treatment of Jews have further declined?
2. What is the difference between the Americans and the civilians of the Buchenwald in chapter fifteen?
3. Why is Father such an important character in chapter 12 ?
4. Why does Daniel need to see Erika a day after Adam's death?
5. What convinces Daniel that his mother is dead?
6. How does Passover provide hope for the Jewish people?
7. How does Daniel's access to a radio symbolize his hope returning?
8. What is the significance of Daniel's valuables he keeps in the cupboard?
9. How does Adam's death prove that he lived only for revenge?
10. What is the significance of Daniel telling Adam, "Anything is better than sitting here like a helpless rabbit."?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of wisdom portrayed in the novel? What character(s) symbolize wisdom?
Essay Topic 2
How does Daniel's depression after Uncle Peter's death mirror how the Jewish people all over Germany felt? What is similar? How does Daniel's few of his studies also mirror the hopelessness and bleak feelings of others during this time?Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How do Rosa and Daniel plan to honor Peter's words and his dying wish? How does this reinforce the theme of love and family?
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)