|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Father tell Daniel when Daniel refuses to help the wounded Nazi?
2. What big resistance act does Adam refer to?
3. Why is Daniel determined to live?
4. What does Daniel feel when he witnessed the bodies being burned in the pit?
5. During Daniel's third time on a train, and what does he say he feels?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use the train ride to symbolize how the treatment of Jews have further declined?
2. What is the significance of Daniel's valuables he keeps in the cupboard?
3. What is the significance of Daniel telling Adam, "Anything is better than sitting here like a helpless rabbit."?
4. How does Daniel's access to a radio symbolize his hope returning?
5. What is the significance of the author showing the reader how the Germans live?
6. Why do the Nazis blow up the crematoria?
7. What is the significance of Rosa's words to Daniel about how to carry on?
8. What is the role of Karl in the story?
9. Why does Daniel's father weep when he learns that Erika is alive?
10. Why is Father such an important character in chapter 12 ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Daniel's character grow throughout the novel? How does his growing boldness and involvement with the resistance mirror his internal growth?Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does Daniel change throughout his life in Germany during Hitler's reign of terror? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How do Rosa and Daniel plan to honor Peter's words and his dying wish? How does this reinforce the theme of love and family?
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)