|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Adam after the uprising?
2. How does Daniel feel when he gives the camera to the kapo?
3. According to Rosa, where is Erika?
4. Where are Daniel and his father going after being in Auschwitz for three months?
5. Whom does Daniel talk to about whether or not to join the resistance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is it necessary for the kapo in charge of Daniel's group to be so cruel?
2. What is the role of Karl in the story?
3. What is the significance of Daniel telling Adam, "Anything is better than sitting here like a helpless rabbit."?
4. What convinces Daniel that his mother is dead?
5. How does Passover provide hope for the Jewish people?
6. What is the importance of Peter being attacked by the Polish boys even though the war is over?
7. What does the train ride symbolize in chapter thirteen?
8. Why does Adam talk about the horrors of Auschwitz in a matter of fact tone?
9. Why is Father such an important character in chapter 12 ?
10. What does Rosa's statement that she will leave a note in Daniel's old apartment as to where she is an indication of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of love reinforced in the story's plot line? Which characters are symbolic of love? How is love contrasted against hate in the novel? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does Daniel change throughout his life in Germany during Hitler's reign of terror? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Daniel's attempt to get revenge against the SS officer who shot the boy sweeping the street not successful? Why does Daniel feel bad about this actions?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)