|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Auschwitz, what kind of music played as people go to work or to their deaths?
2. Who is Karl?
3. What is the first thing that Daniel's Father asks for when at the hospital?
4. What does Daniel feel when he witnessed the bodies being burned in the pit?
5. How does Daniel feel when he gives the camera to the kapo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Daniel's father weep when he learns that Erika is alive?
2. Is it necessary for the kapo in charge of Daniel's group to be so cruel?
3. What convinces Daniel that his mother is dead?
4. How do the photographs illustrate the declining conditions for the Jews?
5. Why does Adam talk about the horrors of Auschwitz in a matter of fact tone?
6. Why was Buchenwald a good place for the Germans?
7. What purpose does the model SS father serve for the storyline?
8. Why do the Nazis blow up the crematoria?
9. How does Daniel's access to a radio symbolize his hope returning?
10. What is the significance of the author showing the reader how the Germans live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in an expository essay how Daniel's camera is an extension of himself and in what ways does he use it to illustrate the changes taking place for the Jewish people.Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does the condition of Daniel's photos represents how the family longs for what they have lost? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How do the themes of hatred and love continue to battle throughout the novel? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)