|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Daniel tell Karl after witnessing the incident when he went to get chemicals?
2. What is the weather like when Daniel and his father are riding in an open boxcar?
3. What does Daniel's kapo do after they leave the Canada storehouses?
4. How do the SS live at Daniel's new camp?
5. In their new barracks at Auschwitz, Daniel and his father must sleep on what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What convinces Daniel that his mother is dead?
2. What does the train ride symbolize in chapter thirteen?
3. Why does Daniel need to see Erika a day after Adam's death?
4. How does the author use the train ride to symbolize how the treatment of Jews have further declined?
5. Why was Buchenwald a good place for the Germans?
6. Why is Father such an important character in chapter 12 ?
7. What is the significance of Rosa's words to Daniel about how to carry on?
8. How do the photographs illustrate the declining conditions for the Jews?
9. What is the difference between the Americans and the civilians of the Buchenwald in chapter fifteen?
10. What is the role of Karl in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of the Daniel's family members' deaths? Why is this event an important detail about the Germans' attitude toward Jews? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does Daniel's character grow throughout the novel? How does his growing boldness and involvement with the resistance mirror his internal growth?Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of wisdom portrayed in the novel? What character(s) symbolize wisdom?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)