|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Daniel and his father going after being in Auschwitz for three months?
2. According to Rosa's mother, what is Auschwitz?
3. Who is Karl?
4. What are the prisoners at Auschwitz forced to wear?
5. After Daniel leaves Auschwitz, what kind of train car is he seated in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Daniel's father weep when he learns that Erika is alive?
2. What purpose does the model SS father serve for the storyline?
3. What is the significance of Daniel's valuables he keeps in the cupboard?
4. How does Passover provide hope for the Jewish people?
5. How do the Germans successfully dehumanize the Jews?
6. When Daniel is captured attempting to hide from deportation to Auschwitz, why does he believe the pictures and Erika are right?
7. Why does Adam talk about the horrors of Auschwitz in a matter of fact tone?
8. Why was Buchenwald a good place for the Germans?
9. When Daniel attempts to get revenge, why doesn't he feel good?
10. Why do the Nazis blow up the crematoria?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of the Daniel's family members' deaths? Why is this event an important detail about the Germans' attitude toward Jews? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Daniel's family rebelled against the German rules and policies. Who does Daniel's family defy their German regulations? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How do Rosa and Daniel plan to honor Peter's words and his dying wish? How does this reinforce the theme of love and family?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)