|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Daniel's third time on a train, and what does he say he feels?
2. What does Daniel and his father do to look healthy at the entrance to Auschwitz?
3. What does Daniel tell Karl after witnessing the incident when he went to get chemicals?
4. What emotions go through Daniel as he witnesses the horrific act while getting chemicals?
5. What happens to the rebels at Auschwitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Passover provide hope for the Jewish people?
2. Why was Buchenwald a good place for the Germans?
3. Why is Father such an important character in chapter 12 ?
4. What is the importance of Peter being attacked by the Polish boys even though the war is over?
5. Is it necessary for the kapo in charge of Daniel's group to be so cruel?
6. What is the significance of Rosa's words to Daniel about how to carry on?
7. How does the author use the train ride to symbolize how the treatment of Jews have further declined?
8. How does Adam's death prove that he lived only for revenge?
9. What does Rosa's statement that she will leave a note in Daniel's old apartment as to where she is an indication of?
10. In what ways are the Germans confused about their future plans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Daniel's character grow throughout the novel? How does his growing boldness and involvement with the resistance mirror his internal growth?Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in an expository essay how Daniel's camera is an extension of himself and in what ways does he use it to illustrate the changes taking place for the Jewish people.Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does Father's quiet wisdom and intelligence help his family survive during their time in Lodz? Be sure to include factual examples from the text.
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)