|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Daniel and his father arrive at Auschwitz, where do they go to work?
2. While playing in the band at Auschwitz, what does Erika do the first time she sees Daniel?
3. How does Adam talk about the horrors he's seen at Auschwitz?
4. Once Daniel and his father are assigned to barracks, what does he sleep on?
5. How do the German SS act when the new transports arrive?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways are the Germans confused about their future plans?
2. What is the role of Karl in the story?
3. What does the train ride symbolize in chapter thirteen?
4. Why do the Nazis blow up the crematoria?
5. How do the photographs illustrate the declining conditions for the Jews?
6. How does Daniel's access to a radio symbolize his hope returning?
7. When Daniel attempts to get revenge, why doesn't he feel good?
8. What is the significance of Peter's last words, "Find my family. Tell them. You go to Palestine for me. Remember..." ?
9. What is the significance of Daniel's valuables he keeps in the cupboard?
10. How does the author use the train ride to symbolize how the treatment of Jews have further declined?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Daniel's depression after Uncle Peter's death mirror how the Jewish people all over Germany felt? What is similar? How does Daniel's few of his studies also mirror the hopelessness and bleak feelings of others during this time?Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does Daniel change throughout his life in Germany during Hitler's reign of terror? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Erika tells Daniel and Rosa, "you must choose love. Always choose love." What does Erika mean by this and in what ways have the Jewish people chosen love? Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)