|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the weather like when Daniel and his father are riding in an open boxcar?
2. During Daniel's third time on a train, and what does he say he feels?
3. After Daniel's parents and Erika are deported, what happens to Daniel as he leaves the apartment?
4. According to Rosa, where is Erika?
5. According to Daniel's father, where does the smoke at Auschwitz come from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Nazis blow up the crematoria?
2. How does the author use the train ride to symbolize how the treatment of Jews have further declined?
3. How does Passover provide hope for the Jewish people?
4. What is the difference between the Americans and the civilians of the Buchenwald in chapter fifteen?
5. In what ways are the Germans confused about their future plans?
6. How does Adam's death prove that he lived only for revenge?
7. What is the significance of Rosa's words to Daniel about how to carry on?
8. What is the significance of the author showing the reader how the Germans live?
9. How does Daniel's access to a radio symbolize his hope returning?
10. What does the train ride symbolize in chapter thirteen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how after Kristallnacht life became harder for Daniel's family. How does this change and shape the rest of the story? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe what the Hitler Youth uniform symbolizes for Daniel and for others.What does the Hitler Youth uniform symbolize and what motivation does Oma Miriam have for creating a fake one for Daniel? How does this effect him and what does it mean for those who wear real ones? Use the text to support your answer. Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does the condition of Daniel's photos represents how the family longs for what they have lost? Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)