|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Daniel's father, where does the smoke at Auschwitz come from?
2. What does the kapo tell Daniel and his father the night they sneak out into the woods?
3. In their new barracks at Auschwitz, Daniel and his father must sleep on what?
4. After Daniel's parents and Erika are deported, what happens to Daniel as he leaves the apartment?
5. What happens to Adam after the uprising?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Passover provide hope for the Jewish people?
2. What is the importance of Peter being attacked by the Polish boys even though the war is over?
3. Why is Father such an important character in chapter 12 ?
4. How does Adam's death prove that he lived only for revenge?
5. How does Daniel's access to a radio symbolize his hope returning?
6. Is it necessary for the kapo in charge of Daniel's group to be so cruel?
7. What convinces Daniel that his mother is dead?
8. When Daniel attempts to get revenge, why doesn't he feel good?
9. What does Rosa's statement that she will leave a note in Daniel's old apartment as to where she is an indication of?
10. Why does Daniel need to see Erika a day after Adam's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Erika tells Daniel and Rosa, "you must choose love. Always choose love." What does Erika mean by this and in what ways have the Jewish people chosen love? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Daniel's family rebelled against the German rules and policies. Who does Daniel's family defy their German regulations? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does the condition of Daniel's photos represents how the family longs for what they have lost? Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)