|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Father barter at their new camp?
2. Why is Daniel determined to live?
3. In their new barracks at Auschwitz, Daniel and his father must sleep on what?
4. When Daniel and his father are moved to regular camp, what shocks them?
5. Why isn't Daniel angry with Adam for what he did?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Rosa's words to Daniel about how to carry on?
2. How does Passover provide hope for the Jewish people?
3. What is the significance of Daniel's valuables he keeps in the cupboard?
4. What purpose does the model SS father serve for the storyline?
5. What is the importance of Peter being attacked by the Polish boys even though the war is over?
6. Why is Father such an important character in chapter 12 ?
7. How does Daniel's access to a radio symbolize his hope returning?
8. Why was Buchenwald a good place for the Germans?
9. What is the significance of Daniel telling Adam, "Anything is better than sitting here like a helpless rabbit."?
10. When Daniel is captured attempting to hide from deportation to Auschwitz, why does he believe the pictures and Erika are right?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of the Daniel's family members' deaths? Why is this event an important detail about the Germans' attitude toward Jews? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Erika tells Daniel and Rosa, "you must choose love. Always choose love." What does Erika mean by this and in what ways have the Jewish people chosen love? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does Daniel change throughout his life in Germany during Hitler's reign of terror? Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)