|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Daniel feel when he gives the camera to the kapo?
2. The night Daniel and his father sleep in the hospital, what evidence is around them?
3. How does Adam talk about the horrors he's seen at Auschwitz?
4. With whom does Father develop a good bartering system with at their new camp?
5. In the intensive-care ward of the hospital, what does Peter tell Daniel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Nazis blow up the crematoria?
2. Why was Buchenwald a good place for the Germans?
3. In what ways are the Germans confused about their future plans?
4. What is the significance of Daniel's valuables he keeps in the cupboard?
5. When Daniel attempts to get revenge, why doesn't he feel good?
6. What is the role of Karl in the story?
7. What is the significance of Daniel telling Adam, "Anything is better than sitting here like a helpless rabbit."?
8. How does Passover provide hope for the Jewish people?
9. What is the significance of Rosa's words to Daniel about how to carry on?
10. Why does Daniel need to see Erika a day after Adam's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of wisdom portrayed in the novel? What character(s) symbolize wisdom?
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of the Daniel's family members' deaths? Why is this event an important detail about the Germans' attitude toward Jews? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How do the themes of hatred and love continue to battle throughout the novel? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)