|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 15, where is Daniel and his father going?
2. Where are Daniel and his father going after being in Auschwitz for three months?
3. When Daniel is running an errand to get chemicals, what act horrifies him?
4. At Auschwitz, what is located in the area Daniel calls Canada?
5. Whom does Daniel talk to about whether or not to join the resistance?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Daniel is captured attempting to hide from deportation to Auschwitz, why does he believe the pictures and Erika are right?
2. How does Daniel's access to a radio symbolize his hope returning?
3. How do the photographs illustrate the declining conditions for the Jews?
4. What is the significance of the author showing the reader how the Germans live?
5. What is the significance of Rosa's words to Daniel about how to carry on?
6. What is the significance of Peter's last words, "Find my family. Tell them. You go to Palestine for me. Remember..." ?
7. What convinces Daniel that his mother is dead?
8. What is the role of Karl in the story?
9. In what ways are the Germans confused about their future plans?
10. How does the author use the train ride to symbolize how the treatment of Jews have further declined?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how after Kristallnacht life became harder for Daniel's family. How does this change and shape the rest of the story? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How are the radio, Daniel's camera, and Erika's violin symbols of hope? In what ways do the Jews quietly demonstrate they have hope? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does Daniel's depression after Uncle Peter's death mirror how the Jewish people all over Germany felt? What is similar? How does Daniel's few of his studies also mirror the hopelessness and bleak feelings of others during this time?Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)