|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Daniel determined to live?
2. During Daniel's third time on a train, and what does he say he feels?
3. What does Daniel's kapo do after they leave the Canada storehouses?
4. How do the SS live at Daniel's new camp?
5. What do the American soldiers give Daniel and other Jewish prisoners?
Short Essay Questions
1. What purpose does the model SS father serve for the storyline?
2. Why does Daniel need to see Erika a day after Adam's death?
3. What does the train ride symbolize in chapter thirteen?
4. What is the significance of Daniel telling Adam, "Anything is better than sitting here like a helpless rabbit."?
5. Why does Adam talk about the horrors of Auschwitz in a matter of fact tone?
6. What is the significance of Rosa's words to Daniel about how to carry on?
7. What does Rosa's statement that she will leave a note in Daniel's old apartment as to where she is an indication of?
8. What is the significance of the author showing the reader how the Germans live?
9. What is the significance of Peter's last words, "Find my family. Tell them. You go to Palestine for me. Remember..." ?
10. Why was Buchenwald a good place for the Germans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does Daniel change throughout his life in Germany during Hitler's reign of terror? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does Daniel's character grow throughout the novel? How does his growing boldness and involvement with the resistance mirror his internal growth?Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Daniel's family rebelled against the German rules and policies. Who does Daniel's family defy their German regulations? Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)