|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is injured at the end of chapter 15?
2. Why isn't Daniel angry with Adam for what he did?
3. Whom does Daniel talk to about whether or not to join the resistance?
4. What does Daniel tell Karl after witnessing the incident when he went to get chemicals?
5. What are the prisoners at Auschwitz forced to wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the role of Karl in the story?
2. What is the significance of Rosa's words to Daniel about how to carry on?
3. What does Rosa's statement that she will leave a note in Daniel's old apartment as to where she is an indication of?
4. Why is Father such an important character in chapter 12 ?
5. What does the train ride symbolize in chapter thirteen?
6. Why does Daniel need to see Erika a day after Adam's death?
7. How does Daniel's access to a radio symbolize his hope returning?
8. How do the photographs illustrate the declining conditions for the Jews?
9. How does the author use the train ride to symbolize how the treatment of Jews have further declined?
10. Why do the Nazis blow up the crematoria?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does Daniel change throughout his life in Germany during Hitler's reign of terror? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of wisdom portrayed in the novel? What character(s) symbolize wisdom?
Essay Topic 3
How does Daniel's character grow throughout the novel? How does his growing boldness and involvement with the resistance mirror his internal growth?Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)