|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is injured at the end of chapter 15?
2. What does Adam tell Daniel the day after the rebellion?
3. What does Father tell Daniel he will do for Peter at the end of the book?
4. Why isn't Daniel angry with Adam for what he did?
5. When Daniel is ordered out of the freight car, who helps them out of the car?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Nazis blow up the crematoria?
2. Is it necessary for the kapo in charge of Daniel's group to be so cruel?
3. What convinces Daniel that his mother is dead?
4. Why does Adam talk about the horrors of Auschwitz in a matter of fact tone?
5. Why is Father such an important character in chapter 12 ?
6. What purpose does the model SS father serve for the storyline?
7. What does the train ride symbolize in chapter thirteen?
8. How does Adam's death prove that he lived only for revenge?
9. Why was Buchenwald a good place for the Germans?
10. What is the significance of Rosa's words to Daniel about how to carry on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the themes of hatred and love continue to battle throughout the novel? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Erika tells Daniel and Rosa, "you must choose love. Always choose love." What does Erika mean by this and in what ways have the Jewish people chosen love? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does Daniel's nightmare after seeing "The Eternal Jew" about Aunt Leah foreshadow her death in Lodz later on? Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)