|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the weather like when Daniel and his father are riding in an open boxcar?
2. What emotions go through Daniel as he witnesses the horrific act while getting chemicals?
3. At Auschwitz, what is located in the area Daniel calls Canada?
4. How does Daniel feel when he gives the camera to the kapo?
5. When Daniel and his father are moved to regular camp, what shocks them?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Passover provide hope for the Jewish people?
2. When Daniel is captured attempting to hide from deportation to Auschwitz, why does he believe the pictures and Erika are right?
3. Why was Buchenwald a good place for the Germans?
4. Why does Daniel's father weep when he learns that Erika is alive?
5. How does Daniel's access to a radio symbolize his hope returning?
6. Why does Daniel need to see Erika a day after Adam's death?
7. Why does Adam talk about the horrors of Auschwitz in a matter of fact tone?
8. What purpose does the model SS father serve for the storyline?
9. Why is Father such an important character in chapter 12 ?
10. What is the role of Karl in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Rosa and Daniel plan to honor Peter's words and his dying wish? How does this reinforce the theme of love and family?
Essay Topic 2
How do the themes of hatred and love continue to battle throughout the novel? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
How are the radio, Daniel's camera, and Erika's violin symbols of hope? In what ways do the Jews quietly demonstrate they have hope? Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)