|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At his new camp, where is Daniel put to work?
2. Whom does Daniel look for in Lodz?
3. According to Rosa, where is Erika?
4. While Daniel is in quarantine a second time, where does he sleep?
5. How do the SS live at Daniel's new camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Daniel's father weep when he learns that Erika is alive?
2. How does Daniel's access to a radio symbolize his hope returning?
3. What does Rosa's statement that she will leave a note in Daniel's old apartment as to where she is an indication of?
4. Is it necessary for the kapo in charge of Daniel's group to be so cruel?
5. How does Adam's death prove that he lived only for revenge?
6. How do the photographs illustrate the declining conditions for the Jews?
7. Why is Father such an important character in chapter 12 ?
8. Why does Adam talk about the horrors of Auschwitz in a matter of fact tone?
9. When Daniel attempts to get revenge, why doesn't he feel good?
10. What is the significance of the author showing the reader how the Germans live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of wisdom portrayed in the novel? What character(s) symbolize wisdom?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does Father's quiet wisdom and intelligence help his family survive during their time in Lodz? Be sure to include factual examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
How does Daniel's depression after Uncle Peter's death mirror how the Jewish people all over Germany felt? What is similar? How does Daniel's few of his studies also mirror the hopelessness and bleak feelings of others during this time?Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)