|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karl tell Daniel about the workers at their new camp?
2. At Auschwitz, what is located in the area Daniel calls Canada?
3. In their new barracks at Auschwitz, Daniel and his father must sleep on what?
4. Who is Daniel's first client shortly after he begins his new work detail?
5. Whom does Daniel look for in Lodz?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is it necessary for the kapo in charge of Daniel's group to be so cruel?
2. How does Adam's death prove that he lived only for revenge?
3. How do the photographs illustrate the declining conditions for the Jews?
4. What does Rosa's statement that she will leave a note in Daniel's old apartment as to where she is an indication of?
5. What purpose does the model SS father serve for the storyline?
6. What is the importance of Peter being attacked by the Polish boys even though the war is over?
7. Why do the Nazis blow up the crematoria?
8. What is the difference between the Americans and the civilians of the Buchenwald in chapter fifteen?
9. Why does Daniel need to see Erika a day after Adam's death?
10. When Daniel is captured attempting to hide from deportation to Auschwitz, why does he believe the pictures and Erika are right?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does Father's quiet wisdom and intelligence help his family survive during their time in Lodz? Be sure to include factual examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does Daniel change throughout his life in Germany during Hitler's reign of terror? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of the Daniel's family members' deaths? Why is this event an important detail about the Germans' attitude toward Jews? Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)