|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What laws does Germany pass that forbid Jews from marrying Germans?
2. What city is Daniel and his family leaving at the beginning of Chapter 1?
3. In the winter of 1943, what do Daniel and Fredrich discover in the apartment neighboring Fredrich?
4. After Uncle Peter's death, what makes Peter feel better?
5. Who is Daniel's favorite uncle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Erika statement, "But maybe if we can hold out long enough, the war will end before they have a chance to kill us" important to the theme of chapter six?
2. Why was Daniel in a rush to take the picture of Erika and Rosa another important part of chapter eight?
3. Why did Daniel feel he had to go see "The Eternal Jew"?
4. What significance does Oma Miriam's death have on Daniel?
5. What does Daniel's photo album come to represent for him?
6. What is the significance of Daniel being able to identify the pictures by feel?
7. What is significant about Rosa and Daniel teaching the father a lesson about stealing bread from his children?
8. Once more a member of Daniel's family tries to convince others to leave Germany. What is significant about Uncle Aaron's plea with Uncle Peter and Daniel's parents?
9. What is the importance of keeping Erika's violin in the cupboard with the radio?
10. In what ways is Erika playing in an orchestra not normal for Daniel's family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the themes of hatred and love continue to battle throughout the novel? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Describe what the Hitler Youth uniform symbolizes for Daniel and for others.What does the Hitler Youth uniform symbolize and what motivation does Oma Miriam have for creating a fake one for Daniel? How does this effect him and what does it mean for those who wear real ones? Use the text to support your answer. Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Daniel's family rebelled against the German rules and policies. Who does Daniel's family defy their German regulations? Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)