|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Uncle Peter's death, what makes Peter feel better?
2. Who becomes ill the summer of 1943?
3. During the night after Daniel's family leaves their home, why can't Erika stop crying?
4. According to Daniel's teacher, why is Daniel always in trouble?
5. When does Daniel start at his new school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What significance does Oma Miriam's death have on Daniel?
2. What does Daniel's photo album come to represent for him?
3. What does Daniel mean when he says, "Yes, I can see from going through these pictures how it all started slowly and then got worse and worse and how the German people didn't try to stop it and how slowly all our rights were taken away until we were nothing but bodies being shipped out."
4. What does the photograph of Rosa symbolize?
5. What is significant about the Brown Shirt boycott of Daniel's father's store?
6. Why does Daniel's father insist they carry their belongings with them instead of doing what the Germans said and putting their belongings in the wagon?
7. How does Uncle Peter's death affect Daniel?
8. Why did Daniel feel he had to go see "The Eternal Jew"?
9. What is the emotional impact of other countries refusal to accept Jews on Daniel's family?
10. What is most important about the two photographs Daniel recalls in chapter two?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of the Daniel's family members' deaths? Why is this event an important detail about the Germans' attitude toward Jews? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe what the Hitler Youth uniform symbolizes for Daniel and for others.What does the Hitler Youth uniform symbolize and what motivation does Oma Miriam have for creating a fake one for Daniel? How does this effect him and what does it mean for those who wear real ones? Use the text to support your answer. Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How are the radio, Daniel's camera, and Erika's violin symbols of hope? In what ways do the Jews quietly demonstrate they have hope? Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)