|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because it is so cold during the winter of 1943, what happens to the walls in Daniel's apartment?
2. What group does Rosa start?
3. What do Daniel's family do to keep lice from spreading?
4. What happens to Rosa and other workers who refuse to eat their soup at the sewing factory?
5. What religion is Daniel and his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Erika statement, "But maybe if we can hold out long enough, the war will end before they have a chance to kill us" important to the theme of chapter six?
2. What is significant about the Brown Shirt boycott of Daniel's father's store?
3. What does Daniel's photo album come to represent for him?
4. How does tradition and the fact that Daniel's family has been in Germany for over a thousand years affect his parents' decisions about emigrating?
5. In what ways is Erika playing in an orchestra not normal for Daniel's family?
6. What is the significance of sending Uncle Peter's ashes to his family?
7. Why does Erika's speech to Daniel and Rosa about choosing love instead of hate say about the theme of the novel?
8. Why is the radio important to Daniel's family?
9. The day after the Brown Shirt incident, Uncle Peter comes to take a picture of the word, Jew sprayed on Daniel's father's store. Why is this action of importance that it should be photographed?
10. Why does Daniel say the Gestapo officer saw them as only insects?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of the Daniel's family members' deaths? Why is this event an important detail about the Germans' attitude toward Jews? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How are the radio, Daniel's camera, and Erika's violin symbols of hope? In what ways do the Jews quietly demonstrate they have hope? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does Daniel change throughout his life in Germany during Hitler's reign of terror? Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)