|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes with Daniel and Erika to the first meeting of Rosa's group?
2. What group does Rosa start?
3. What does Daniel's mother believe he has in his photo album?
4. What happens to Rosa and her family the summer of 1944?
5. Daniel is on a train again in Chapter 5. Where do the Nazis tell Daniel he is going?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is most important about the two photographs Daniel recalls in chapter two?
2. Why is the scene with Daniel and his friends skirmish with the Hitler Youth boys important to the story?
3. Why is Erika statement, "But maybe if we can hold out long enough, the war will end before they have a chance to kill us" important to the theme of chapter six?
4. Why does Auntie Leah decide not to leave her two girls?
5. Why does Daniel's father insist they carry their belongings with them instead of doing what the Germans said and putting their belongings in the wagon?
6. What is the emotional impact of other countries refusal to accept Jews on Daniel's family?
7. Why is the radio important to Daniel's family?
8. What is the significance of sending Uncle Peter's ashes to his family?
9. Why does Daniel not react when he and Fredrich find the elderly man dead in his apartment?
10. What is the significance of Daniel being able to identify the pictures by feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the themes of hatred and love continue to battle throughout the novel? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
How does Daniel's depression after Uncle Peter's death mirror how the Jewish people all over Germany felt? What is similar? How does Daniel's few of his studies also mirror the hopelessness and bleak feelings of others during this time?Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe what the Hitler Youth uniform symbolizes for Daniel and for others.What does the Hitler Youth uniform symbolize and what motivation does Oma Miriam have for creating a fake one for Daniel? How does this effect him and what does it mean for those who wear real ones? Use the text to support your answer. Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)