|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Daniel, what hit him between the eyes when he was ten?
2. After Daniel leaves public school, who becomes his new teacher?
3. Whom is Daniel's father able to convince the Germans to let stay with him?
4. What happens to Rosa and other workers who refuse to eat their soup at the sewing factory?
5. What does Rosa tell Daniel about the man who lives near her apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What purpose does the character of Mr. Schneider serve to the overall plot?
2. Why did Daniel feel he had to go see "The Eternal Jew"?
3. What is most important about the two photographs Daniel recalls in chapter two?
4. How does tradition and the fact that Daniel's family has been in Germany for over a thousand years affect his parents' decisions about emigrating?
5. What is the significance of Daniel being able to identify the pictures by feel?
6. What does the photograph of Rosa symbolize?
7. What does Daniel's family's delousing of their clothing and bedding and the parents' attempts to give them a balanced diet mean to the overall plot?
8. What does Daniel mean when he says that Rosa's smile was an act of defiance?
9. What is significant about the Brown Shirt boycott of Daniel's father's store?
10. How does Uncle Peter's death affect Daniel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the condition of Daniel's photos represents how the family longs for what they have lost? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe what the Hitler Youth uniform symbolizes for Daniel and for others.What does the Hitler Youth uniform symbolize and what motivation does Oma Miriam have for creating a fake one for Daniel? How does this effect him and what does it mean for those who wear real ones? Use the text to support your answer. Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in an expository essay how Daniel's camera is an extension of himself and in what ways does he use it to illustrate the changes taking place for the Jewish people.Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)