|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rosa want Daniel to promise her if deportation begins?
2. What do the Germans search for in the ghetto apartments in June 1944?
3. What happens to Daniel's father's store the day after Kristallnacht?
4. Which of Daniel's uncles moves to the United States?
5. What does Kristallnacht mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the radio important to Daniel's family?
2. The day after the Brown Shirt incident, Uncle Peter comes to take a picture of the word, Jew sprayed on Daniel's father's store. Why is this action of importance that it should be photographed?
3. Why does Daniel say the Gestapo officer saw them as only insects?
4. Why is the scene with Daniel and his friends skirmish with the Hitler Youth boys important to the story?
5. In what ways is Erika playing in an orchestra not normal for Daniel's family?
6. What is the importance of keeping Erika's violin in the cupboard with the radio?
7. What does the Hitler Youth uniform Oma Miriam makes for Daniel symbolize?
8. What does Daniel mean when he says, "Yes, I can see from going through these pictures how it all started slowly and then got worse and worse and how the German people didn't try to stop it and how slowly all our rights were taken away until we were nothing but bodies being shipped out."
9. Why did Daniel feel he had to go see "The Eternal Jew"?
10. Why does Auntie Leah decide not to leave her two girls?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does Father's quiet wisdom and intelligence help his family survive during their time in Lodz? Be sure to include factual examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
How do Rosa and Daniel plan to honor Peter's words and his dying wish? How does this reinforce the theme of love and family?
Essay Topic 3
Describe in an expository essay how Daniel's camera is an extension of himself and in what ways does he use it to illustrate the changes taking place for the Jewish people.Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)