|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Uncle Peter's death, what makes Peter feel better?
2. When Daniel and his family are being marched through the streets of Frankfurt, what does Daniel feel?
3. What bizarre outfit did Daniel's Oma Miriam give him?
4. What does Daniel think of his mother's appearance in Chapter 3?
5. What happens in March of 1944 that starts a decline in Erika's health?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rosa's statement that she will leave a note in Daniel's old apartment as to where she is an indication of?
2. In what ways is Erika playing in an orchestra not normal for Daniel's family?
3. What is the emotional impact of other countries refusal to accept Jews on Daniel's family?
4. What significance does Oma Miriam's death have on Daniel?
5. Why does Erika's speech to Daniel and Rosa about choosing love instead of hate say about the theme of the novel?
6. What is significant about Rosa and Daniel teaching the father a lesson about stealing bread from his children?
7. Why does Adam talk about the horrors of Auschwitz in a matter of fact tone?
8. Why is the scene with Daniel and his friends skirmish with the Hitler Youth boys important to the story?
9. Why is the radio important to Daniel's family?
10. What is the significance of Rosa's words to Daniel about how to carry on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Erika tells Daniel and Rosa, "you must choose love. Always choose love." What does Erika mean by this and in what ways have the Jewish people chosen love? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Daniel's family rebelled against the German rules and policies. Who does Daniel's family defy their German regulations? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does Father's quiet wisdom and intelligence help his family survive during their time in Lodz? Be sure to include factual examples from the text.
This section contains 1,663 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)