|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because it is so cold during the winter of 1943, what happens to the walls in Daniel's apartment?
2. During the night after Daniel's family leaves their home, why can't Erika stop crying?
3. What laws does Germany pass that forbid Jews from marrying Germans?
4. In July 1944, what event do the some Germans try unsuccessfully?
5. Which of Daniel's uncles moves to the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Hitler Youth uniform Oma Miriam makes for Daniel symbolize?
2. What does Daniel mean when he says that Rosa's smile was an act of defiance?
3. Why does Daniel say the Gestapo officer saw them as only insects?
4. What significance does Oma Miriam's death have on Daniel?
5. What is most important about the two photographs Daniel recalls in chapter two?
6. Why is the scene with Daniel and his friends skirmish with the Hitler Youth boys important to the story?
7. Why does Erika's speech to Daniel and Rosa about choosing love instead of hate say about the theme of the novel?
8. What is the tragedy of the kitchen workers at the sewing factory keeping the good vegetables for themselves?
9. What does Daniel mean when he says, "Yes, I can see from going through these pictures how it all started slowly and then got worse and worse and how the German people didn't try to stop it and how slowly all our rights were taken away until we were nothing but bodies being shipped out."
10. Why does Daniel's father insist they carry their belongings with them instead of doing what the Germans said and putting their belongings in the wagon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the themes of hatred and love continue to battle throughout the novel? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
How does the condition of Daniel's photos represents how the family longs for what they have lost? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does Daniel's nightmare after seeing "The Eternal Jew" about Aunt Leah foreshadow her death in Lodz later on? Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)