|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Daniel's sister?
2. What bizarre outfit did Daniel's Oma Miriam give him?
3. What city is Daniel and his family leaving at the beginning of Chapter 1?
4. What is the event is depicted in the first photograph, dated March 30, 1933?
5. Who introduces Rosa to Daniel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the photograph of Rosa symbolize?
2. Why is the radio important to Daniel's family?
3. What is the significance of sending Uncle Peter's ashes to his family?
4. Why was Daniel in a rush to take the picture of Erika and Rosa another important part of chapter eight?
5. What does the Hitler Youth uniform Oma Miriam makes for Daniel symbolize?
6. What does Daniel's photo album come to represent for him?
7. What does Daniel mean when he says that Rosa's smile was an act of defiance?
8. Why does Erika's speech to Daniel and Rosa about choosing love instead of hate say about the theme of the novel?
9. How does Uncle Peter's death affect Daniel?
10. What does Daniel's family's delousing of their clothing and bedding and the parents' attempts to give them a balanced diet mean to the overall plot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of love reinforced in the story's plot line? Which characters are symbolic of love? How is love contrasted against hate in the novel? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Daniel's family rebelled against the German rules and policies. Who does Daniel's family defy their German regulations? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in an expository essay how Daniel's camera is an extension of himself and in what ways does he use it to illustrate the changes taking place for the Jewish people.Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)