|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is the last class picture taken of Daniel at public school?
2. What special event does Daniel's mother make vegetables patties for?
3. About a month after Oma Miriam dies, what is in the box sent to Daniel's family?
4. What is the event is depicted in the first photograph, dated March 30, 1933?
5. What is the name of Daniel's public school teacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Hitler Youth uniform Oma Miriam makes for Daniel symbolize?
2. What is the significance of the author showing the reader how the Germans live?
3. Why do the Nazis blow up the crematoria?
4. When Daniel is captured attempting to hide from deportation to Auschwitz, why does he believe the pictures and Erika are right?
5. How does tradition and the fact that Daniel's family has been in Germany for over a thousand years affect his parents' decisions about emigrating?
6. How does Adam's death prove that he lived only for revenge?
7. Why was Daniel in a rush to take the picture of Erika and Rosa another important part of chapter eight?
8. Why does Daniel's father weep when he learns that Erika is alive?
9. What is significant about Rosa and Daniel teaching the father a lesson about stealing bread from his children?
10. What purpose does the character of Mr. Schneider serve to the overall plot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the radio, Daniel's camera, and Erika's violin symbols of hope? In what ways do the Jews quietly demonstrate they have hope? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of wisdom portrayed in the novel? What character(s) symbolize wisdom?
Essay Topic 3
Describe what the Hitler Youth uniform symbolizes for Daniel and for others.What does the Hitler Youth uniform symbolize and what motivation does Oma Miriam have for creating a fake one for Daniel? How does this effect him and what does it mean for those who wear real ones? Use the text to support your answer. Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,660 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)