|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes with Daniel and Erika to the first meeting of Rosa's group?
2. Who is Daniel's favorite uncle?
3. Where do Daniel's family have to clean their bodies?
4. What do the Germans search for in the ghetto apartments in June 1944?
5. Who introduces Rosa to Daniel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Erika statement, "But maybe if we can hold out long enough, the war will end before they have a chance to kill us" important to the theme of chapter six?
2. What does Daniel's photo album come to represent for him?
3. Why was Daniel in a rush to take the picture of Erika and Rosa another important part of chapter eight?
4. In what ways is Erika playing in an orchestra not normal for Daniel's family?
5. What is the significance of sending Uncle Peter's ashes to his family?
6. Why does Daniel not react when he and Fredrich find the elderly man dead in his apartment?
7. Why does Erika's speech to Daniel and Rosa about choosing love instead of hate say about the theme of the novel?
8. What does Daniel mean when he says, "Yes, I can see from going through these pictures how it all started slowly and then got worse and worse and how the German people didn't try to stop it and how slowly all our rights were taken away until we were nothing but bodies being shipped out."
9. What is the emotional impact of other countries refusal to accept Jews on Daniel's family?
10. How does tradition and the fact that Daniel's family has been in Germany for over a thousand years affect his parents' decisions about emigrating?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Daniel's depression after Uncle Peter's death mirror how the Jewish people all over Germany felt? What is similar? How does Daniel's few of his studies also mirror the hopelessness and bleak feelings of others during this time?Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of love reinforced in the story's plot line? Which characters are symbolic of love? How is love contrasted against hate in the novel? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Erika tells Daniel, "why have we fought so hard to survive all these years?" How does this become the central question of Daniel's Story? Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)