|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it about Rosa that is an act of defiance according to Daniel?
2. At the beginning of the novel, where is Daniel and his family?
3. Who goes with Daniel and Erika to the first meeting of Rosa's group?
4. What group does Rosa start?
5. Because it is so cold during the winter of 1943, what happens to the walls in Daniel's apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the photograph of Rosa symbolize?
2. How does tradition and the fact that Daniel's family has been in Germany for over a thousand years affect his parents' decisions about emigrating?
3. What is the significance of sending Uncle Peter's ashes to his family?
4. Why does Daniel say the Gestapo officer saw them as only insects?
5. Why is the radio important to Daniel's family?
6. What is the tragedy of the kitchen workers at the sewing factory keeping the good vegetables for themselves?
7. What does Daniel mean when he says that Rosa's smile was an act of defiance?
8. What does the Hitler Youth uniform Oma Miriam makes for Daniel symbolize?
9. What purpose does the character of Mr. Schneider serve to the overall plot?
10. In what ways is Erika playing in an orchestra not normal for Daniel's family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Daniel's character grow throughout the novel? How does his growing boldness and involvement with the resistance mirror his internal growth?Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of the Daniel's family members' deaths? Why is this event an important detail about the Germans' attitude toward Jews? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How do Rosa and Daniel plan to honor Peter's words and his dying wish? How does this reinforce the theme of love and family?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)