|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens on Daniel's birthday in March of 1943?
2. On March 30, 1933, what do Daniel's Uncle Walter and Uncle Peter argue about?
3. What happens to Daniel's father's store the day after Kristallnacht?
4. At the beginning of the novel, where is Daniel and his family?
5. What happens to Rosa and her family the summer of 1944?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Daniel's inability to promise Rosa he will hide when his family's deportation papers come demonstrate his love for them?
2. What does Daniel's family's delousing of their clothing and bedding and the parents' attempts to give them a balanced diet mean to the overall plot?
3. What does Daniel's photo album come to represent for him?
4. What is the tragedy of the kitchen workers at the sewing factory keeping the good vegetables for themselves?
5. What is the significance of Daniel being able to identify the pictures by feel?
6. What does Daniel mean when he says, "Yes, I can see from going through these pictures how it all started slowly and then got worse and worse and how the German people didn't try to stop it and how slowly all our rights were taken away until we were nothing but bodies being shipped out."
7. Why does Daniel say the Gestapo officer saw them as only insects?
8. What does the Hitler Youth uniform Oma Miriam makes for Daniel symbolize?
9. Why does Erika's speech to Daniel and Rosa about choosing love instead of hate say about the theme of the novel?
10. Why is Erika statement, "But maybe if we can hold out long enough, the war will end before they have a chance to kill us" important to the theme of chapter six?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in an expository essay how Daniel's camera is an extension of himself and in what ways does he use it to illustrate the changes taking place for the Jewish people.Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How are the radio, Daniel's camera, and Erika's violin symbols of hope? In what ways do the Jews quietly demonstrate they have hope? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does Daniel's nightmare after seeing "The Eternal Jew" about Aunt Leah foreshadow her death in Lodz later on? Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)