|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Daniel's father exempt from the Germans' shipping Jews off to other locations?
2. During the night after Daniel's family leaves their home, why can't Erika stop crying?
3. When Daniel and his family get off the train after leaving their home, where are they?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who is in the photo?
5. When Daniel and his family are being marched through the streets of Frankfurt, what does Daniel feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Daniel's photo album come to represent for him?
2. How does tradition and the fact that Daniel's family has been in Germany for over a thousand years affect his parents' decisions about emigrating?
3. What does Daniel's family's delousing of their clothing and bedding and the parents' attempts to give them a balanced diet mean to the overall plot?
4. What does the photograph of Rosa symbolize?
5. In what ways is Erika playing in an orchestra not normal for Daniel's family?
6. What purpose does the character of Mr. Schneider serve to the overall plot?
7. Why does Daniel not react when he and Fredrich find the elderly man dead in his apartment?
8. What is the emotional impact of other countries refusal to accept Jews on Daniel's family?
9. What significance does Oma Miriam's death have on Daniel?
10. What does Daniel mean when he says, "Yes, I can see from going through these pictures how it all started slowly and then got worse and worse and how the German people didn't try to stop it and how slowly all our rights were taken away until we were nothing but bodies being shipped out."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does Father's quiet wisdom and intelligence help his family survive during their time in Lodz? Be sure to include factual examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
How does Daniel's character grow throughout the novel? How does his growing boldness and involvement with the resistance mirror his internal growth?Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in an expository essay how Daniel's camera is an extension of himself and in what ways does he use it to illustrate the changes taking place for the Jewish people.Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)