|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After summer break, Daniel returns to school. What new law is passed for Jews?
2. What do the German soldiers do to those at the hospital in Lodz?
3. What is the name of Daniel's sister?
4. Daniel is on a train again in Chapter 5. Where do the Nazis tell Daniel he is going?
5. What does Oma Miriam do after Daniel's bar mitzvah?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Daniel mean when he says that Rosa's smile was an act of defiance?
2. What is the significance of the author showing the reader how the Germans live?
3. What does Daniel mean when he says, "Yes, I can see from going through these pictures how it all started slowly and then got worse and worse and how the German people didn't try to stop it and how slowly all our rights were taken away until we were nothing but bodies being shipped out."
4. Why is the radio important to Daniel's family?
5. How does tradition and the fact that Daniel's family has been in Germany for over a thousand years affect his parents' decisions about emigrating?
6. Why does Erika's speech to Daniel and Rosa about choosing love instead of hate say about the theme of the novel?
7. What is the importance of Peter being attacked by the Polish boys even though the war is over?
8. Why was Buchenwald a good place for the Germans?
9. What does Daniel's photo album come to represent for him?
10. How does Daniel's access to a radio symbolize his hope returning?
Essay Topic 1
How do Rosa and Daniel plan to honor Peter's words and his dying wish? How does this reinforce the theme of love and family?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how after Kristallnacht life became harder for Daniel's family. How does this change and shape the rest of the story? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does Father's quiet wisdom and intelligence help his family survive during their time in Lodz? Be sure to include factual examples from the text.
This section contains 1,577 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)