Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Daniel's public school teacher?
2. In July 1944, what event do the some Germans try unsuccessfully?
3. During the night after Daniel's family leaves their home, why can't Erika stop crying?
4. The summer of 1943, who does Daniel see every day?
5. By November of 1942, what does Daniel say he only knew?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use the train ride to symbolize how the treatment of Jews have further declined?
2. The day after the Brown Shirt incident, Uncle Peter comes to take a picture of the word, Jew sprayed on Daniel's father's store. Why is this action of importance that it should be photographed?
3. What is significant about the Brown Shirt boycott of Daniel's father's store?
4. Why is the radio important to Daniel's family?
5. Why do the Nazis blow up the crematoria?
6. What does the train ride symbolize in chapter thirteen?
7. How do the Germans successfully dehumanize the Jews?
8. What is the significance of the author showing the reader how the Germans live?
9. What is the emotional impact of other countries refusal to accept Jews on Daniel's family?
10. In what ways is Erika playing in an orchestra not normal for Daniel's family?
Essay Topic 1
How does the condition of Daniel's photos represents how the family longs for what they have lost? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Erika tells Daniel, "why have we fought so hard to survive all these years?" How does this become the central question of Daniel's Story? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Erika tells Daniel and Rosa, "you must choose love. Always choose love." What does Erika mean by this and in what ways have the Jewish people chosen love? Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)