|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About a month after Oma Miriam dies, who comes to Daniel's home?
2. Who is Daniel's favorite uncle?
3. What happens to Rosa and her family the summer of 1944?
4. How many years has Daniel's family lived in Germany?
5. After Daniel's family leaves their home, where do they spend the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Passover provide hope for the Jewish people?
2. What is the role of Karl in the story?
3. What is significant about the Brown Shirt boycott of Daniel's father's store?
4. How does the author use the train ride to symbolize how the treatment of Jews have further declined?
5. Why is the scene with Daniel and his friends skirmish with the Hitler Youth boys important to the story?
6. In what ways are the Germans confused about their future plans?
7. The day after the Brown Shirt incident, Uncle Peter comes to take a picture of the word, Jew sprayed on Daniel's father's store. Why is this action of importance that it should be photographed?
8. What is the significance of Peter's last words, "Find my family. Tell them. You go to Palestine for me. Remember..." ?
9. What is the importance of keeping Erika's violin in the cupboard with the radio?
10. What is most important about the two photographs Daniel recalls in chapter two?
Essay Topic 1
Erika tells Daniel, "why have we fought so hard to survive all these years?" How does this become the central question of Daniel's Story? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How do Rosa and Daniel plan to honor Peter's words and his dying wish? How does this reinforce the theme of love and family?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how after Kristallnacht life became harder for Daniel's family. How does this change and shape the rest of the story? Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,672 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)