|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the winter of 1943, what becomes scare?
2. What is the purpose of the public exhibition called "The Eternal Jew"?
3. What is Daniel's family doing the first time he met Rosa?
4. What do Rosa and Erika do for work?
5. What does Daniel's mother believe he has in his photo album?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Daniel mean when he says that Rosa's smile was an act of defiance?
2. What is most important about the two photographs Daniel recalls in chapter two?
3. What is significant about the Brown Shirt boycott of Daniel's father's store?
4. In what ways is Erika playing in an orchestra not normal for Daniel's family?
5. What is significant about Rosa and Daniel teaching the father a lesson about stealing bread from his children?
6. What does Daniel's family's delousing of their clothing and bedding and the parents' attempts to give them a balanced diet mean to the overall plot?
7. Once more a member of Daniel's family tries to convince others to leave Germany. What is significant about Uncle Aaron's plea with Uncle Peter and Daniel's parents?
8. How does Uncle Peter's death affect Daniel?
9. What purpose does the character of Mr. Schneider serve to the overall plot?
10. How does tradition and the fact that Daniel's family has been in Germany for over a thousand years affect his parents' decisions about emigrating?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Erika tells Daniel, "why have we fought so hard to survive all these years?" How does this become the central question of Daniel's Story? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Erika tells Daniel and Rosa, "you must choose love. Always choose love." What does Erika mean by this and in what ways have the Jewish people chosen love? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of love reinforced in the story's plot line? Which characters are symbolic of love? How is love contrasted against hate in the novel? Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)