|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Daniel when he meets Rosa?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 1, how old is Daniel?
3. What is the purpose of the public exhibition called "The Eternal Jew"?
4. By November of 1942, what does Daniel say he only knew?
5. What do the Germans search for in the ghetto apartments in June 1944?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Daniel mean when he says, "Yes, I can see from going through these pictures how it all started slowly and then got worse and worse and how the German people didn't try to stop it and how slowly all our rights were taken away until we were nothing but bodies being shipped out."
2. What is the emotional impact of other countries refusal to accept Jews on Daniel's family?
3. Why does Erika's speech to Daniel and Rosa about choosing love instead of hate say about the theme of the novel?
4. The day after the Brown Shirt incident, Uncle Peter comes to take a picture of the word, Jew sprayed on Daniel's father's store. Why is this action of importance that it should be photographed?
5. What is the significance of sending Uncle Peter's ashes to his family?
6. What does Daniel mean when he says that Rosa's smile was an act of defiance?
7. Why was Daniel in a rush to take the picture of Erika and Rosa another important part of chapter eight?
8. What is the tragedy of the kitchen workers at the sewing factory keeping the good vegetables for themselves?
9. What is significant about Rosa and Daniel teaching the father a lesson about stealing bread from his children?
10. Once more a member of Daniel's family tries to convince others to leave Germany. What is significant about Uncle Aaron's plea with Uncle Peter and Daniel's parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what the Hitler Youth uniform symbolizes for Daniel and for others.What does the Hitler Youth uniform symbolize and what motivation does Oma Miriam have for creating a fake one for Daniel? How does this effect him and what does it mean for those who wear real ones? Use the text to support your answer. Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Daniel's family rebelled against the German rules and policies. Who does Daniel's family defy their German regulations? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Erika tells Daniel and Rosa, "you must choose love. Always choose love." What does Erika mean by this and in what ways have the Jewish people chosen love? Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)