|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years has Daniel's family lived in Germany?
2. Who introduces Rosa to Daniel?
3. What do the German soldiers do to those at the hospital in Lodz?
4. Which uncle refuses to listen to Daniel's father about being prudent in Lodz?
5. How old is Daniel when he meets Rosa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Daniel being able to identify the pictures by feel?
2. What does Daniel mean when he says, "Yes, I can see from going through these pictures how it all started slowly and then got worse and worse and how the German people didn't try to stop it and how slowly all our rights were taken away until we were nothing but bodies being shipped out."
3. What is the importance of keeping Erika's violin in the cupboard with the radio?
4. Why does Daniel not react when he and Fredrich find the elderly man dead in his apartment?
5. Why does Daniel say the Gestapo officer saw them as only insects?
6. What is significant about Rosa and Daniel teaching the father a lesson about stealing bread from his children?
7. What is the tragedy of the kitchen workers at the sewing factory keeping the good vegetables for themselves?
8. Why is the radio important to Daniel's family?
9. The day after the Brown Shirt incident, Uncle Peter comes to take a picture of the word, Jew sprayed on Daniel's father's store. Why is this action of importance that it should be photographed?
10. What purpose does the character of Mr. Schneider serve to the overall plot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Erika tells Daniel and Rosa, "you must choose love. Always choose love." What does Erika mean by this and in what ways have the Jewish people chosen love? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in an expository essay how Daniel's camera is an extension of himself and in what ways does he use it to illustrate the changes taking place for the Jewish people.Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Daniel's attempt to get revenge against the SS officer who shot the boy sweeping the street not successful? Why does Daniel feel bad about this actions?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)