|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Daniel's father exempt from the Germans' shipping Jews off to other locations?
2. What does Rosa tell Daniel about the man who lives near her apartment?
3. What is it about Rosa that is an act of defiance according to Daniel?
4. When is the last class picture taken of Daniel at public school?
5. What is the purpose of the public exhibition called "The Eternal Jew"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Daniel feel he had to go see "The Eternal Jew"?
2. Why is the radio important to Daniel's family?
3. Why does Daniel not react when he and Fredrich find the elderly man dead in his apartment?
4. Why does Auntie Leah decide not to leave her two girls?
5. Why is Erika statement, "But maybe if we can hold out long enough, the war will end before they have a chance to kill us" important to the theme of chapter six?
6. How does Daniel's inability to promise Rosa he will hide when his family's deportation papers come demonstrate his love for them?
7. Why does Daniel's father insist they carry their belongings with them instead of doing what the Germans said and putting their belongings in the wagon?
8. The day after the Brown Shirt incident, Uncle Peter comes to take a picture of the word, Jew sprayed on Daniel's father's store. Why is this action of importance that it should be photographed?
9. What does Daniel's family's delousing of their clothing and bedding and the parents' attempts to give them a balanced diet mean to the overall plot?
10. What is the significance of Daniel being able to identify the pictures by feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Daniel's nightmare after seeing "The Eternal Jew" about Aunt Leah foreshadow her death in Lodz later on? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how after Kristallnacht life became harder for Daniel's family. How does this change and shape the rest of the story? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in an expository essay how Daniel's camera is an extension of himself and in what ways does he use it to illustrate the changes taking place for the Jewish people.Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)