|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Daniel is on a train again in Chapter 5. Where do the Nazis tell Daniel he is going?
2. How old is Daniel at the start of Chapter 5?
3. What happens to Daniel's father's store the day after Kristallnacht?
4. When is the last class picture taken of Daniel at public school?
5. What religion is Daniel and his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. The day after the Brown Shirt incident, Uncle Peter comes to take a picture of the word, Jew sprayed on Daniel's father's store. Why is this action of importance that it should be photographed?
2. How does tradition and the fact that Daniel's family has been in Germany for over a thousand years affect his parents' decisions about emigrating?
3. In what ways is Erika playing in an orchestra not normal for Daniel's family?
4. Why does Erika's speech to Daniel and Rosa about choosing love instead of hate say about the theme of the novel?
5. Why is the radio important to Daniel's family?
6. Why does Daniel's father insist they carry their belongings with them instead of doing what the Germans said and putting their belongings in the wagon?
7. What significance does Oma Miriam's death have on Daniel?
8. How does Uncle Peter's death affect Daniel?
9. Why was Daniel in a rush to take the picture of Erika and Rosa another important part of chapter eight?
10. What does Daniel mean when he says, "Yes, I can see from going through these pictures how it all started slowly and then got worse and worse and how the German people didn't try to stop it and how slowly all our rights were taken away until we were nothing but bodies being shipped out."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what the Hitler Youth uniform symbolizes for Daniel and for others.What does the Hitler Youth uniform symbolize and what motivation does Oma Miriam have for creating a fake one for Daniel? How does this effect him and what does it mean for those who wear real ones? Use the text to support your answer. Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does Daniel's depression after Uncle Peter's death mirror how the Jewish people all over Germany felt? What is similar? How does Daniel's few of his studies also mirror the hopelessness and bleak feelings of others during this time?Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Daniel's attempt to get revenge against the SS officer who shot the boy sweeping the street not successful? Why does Daniel feel bad about this actions?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)