|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Daniel's first day at his new school, what is his mother is upset about?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 1, how old is Daniel?
3. According to Daniel, what is illegal to have in May 1944?
4. Where is Rosa actually from?
5. What does Daniel's father decide to do when they get their transport notices in July 1944?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Daniel not react when he and Fredrich find the elderly man dead in his apartment?
2. The day after the Brown Shirt incident, Uncle Peter comes to take a picture of the word, Jew sprayed on Daniel's father's store. Why is this action of importance that it should be photographed?
3. How does tradition and the fact that Daniel's family has been in Germany for over a thousand years affect his parents' decisions about emigrating?
4. Why is the radio important to Daniel's family?
5. What does the photograph of Rosa symbolize?
6. Why is Erika statement, "But maybe if we can hold out long enough, the war will end before they have a chance to kill us" important to the theme of chapter six?
7. What does Daniel mean when he says, "Yes, I can see from going through these pictures how it all started slowly and then got worse and worse and how the German people didn't try to stop it and how slowly all our rights were taken away until we were nothing but bodies being shipped out."
8. Why was Daniel in a rush to take the picture of Erika and Rosa another important part of chapter eight?
9. Why does Daniel's father insist they carry their belongings with them instead of doing what the Germans said and putting their belongings in the wagon?
10. How does Daniel's inability to promise Rosa he will hide when his family's deportation papers come demonstrate his love for them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what the Hitler Youth uniform symbolizes for Daniel and for others.What does the Hitler Youth uniform symbolize and what motivation does Oma Miriam have for creating a fake one for Daniel? How does this effect him and what does it mean for those who wear real ones? Use the text to support your answer. Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does Erika use her violin to express her spirit throughout the book? What impact does it have on the overall story and on the family? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Erika tells Daniel, "why have we fought so hard to survive all these years?" How does this become the central question of Daniel's Story? Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)