|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who is in the photo?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 1, how old is Daniel?
3. After Daniel's first day at his new school, what is his mother is upset about?
4. Why is Daniel's father exempt from the Germans' shipping Jews off to other locations?
5. In the winter of 1943, what do Daniel and Fredrich discover in the apartment neighboring Fredrich?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Daniel being able to identify the pictures by feel?
2. Why does Daniel not react when he and Fredrich find the elderly man dead in his apartment?
3. The day after the Brown Shirt incident, Uncle Peter comes to take a picture of the word, Jew sprayed on Daniel's father's store. Why is this action of importance that it should be photographed?
4. What does the photograph of Rosa symbolize?
5. Why does Auntie Leah decide not to leave her two girls?
6. What is the importance of keeping Erika's violin in the cupboard with the radio?
7. What does Daniel mean when he says, "Yes, I can see from going through these pictures how it all started slowly and then got worse and worse and how the German people didn't try to stop it and how slowly all our rights were taken away until we were nothing but bodies being shipped out."
8. How does Uncle Peter's death affect Daniel?
9. How does Daniel's inability to promise Rosa he will hide when his family's deportation papers come demonstrate his love for them?
10. Why is Erika statement, "But maybe if we can hold out long enough, the war will end before they have a chance to kill us" important to the theme of chapter six?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of love reinforced in the story's plot line? Which characters are symbolic of love? How is love contrasted against hate in the novel? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does Daniel's nightmare after seeing "The Eternal Jew" about Aunt Leah foreshadow her death in Lodz later on? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does Father's quiet wisdom and intelligence help his family survive during their time in Lodz? Be sure to include factual examples from the text.
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)