|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Daniel's parents and Erika are deported, what happens to Daniel as he leaves the apartment?
(a) He is caught.
(b) He goes to work.
(c) He goes to find Rosa.
(d) He lives alone.
2. What does Daniel and his father do to look healthy at the entrance to Auschwitz?
(a) Stoop over.
(b) Rub their faces.
(c) Bite their lips and pinch their cheeks.
(d) Jump up and down.
3. When Daniel and his father are moved to regular camp, what shocks them?
(a) How little food is given to them.
(b) How hard the beds are.
(c) How hard the work is.
(d) How rough the inmates are.
4. How many hours each day does Daniel work at his new camp?
5. What happens to Daniel and the others' heads when the barbers shave them at Auschwitz?
(a) They are cut.
(b) They are happy.
(c) They are deloused.
(d) They are careful.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Adam talk about the horrors he's seen at Auschwitz?
2. Where are Daniel and his father going after being in Auschwitz for three months?
3. What does Daniel tell Karl after witnessing the incident when he went to get chemicals?
4. What do the resistance at Auschwitz want Daniel to do for them?
5. When Daniel is running an errand to get chemicals, whom does he see on the street?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Daniel attempts to get revenge, why doesn't he feel good?
2. How do the photographs illustrate the declining conditions for the Jews?
3. What is the significance of Rosa's words to Daniel about how to carry on?
4. What is the significance of Peter's last words, "Find my family. Tell them. You go to Palestine for me. Remember..." ?
5. How do the Germans successfully dehumanize the Jews?
6. Why does Adam talk about the horrors of Auschwitz in a matter of fact tone?
7. How does Passover provide hope for the Jewish people?
8. What is the role of Karl in the story?
9. Why does Daniel's father weep when he learns that Erika is alive?
10. What does the train ride symbolize in chapter thirteen?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)