|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the Allies get closer to his new camp, what do many of the SS soldiers do?
(b) KIll witnesses.
(c) Remove their rank insignia or dump their uniforms.
2. What does Daniel want to tell those just arriving at the Auschwitz camp?
(a) Warn them of their deaths.
(d) Save yourselves!
3. While Daniel is in quarantine a second time, where does he sleep?
(a) In a big room.
(b) On mats.
(c) On mattresses.
(d) On bunks.
4. What does Karl have that Daniel wants?
(a) A camera.
(b) A flashlight.
(c) A radio.
(d) A extra piece of cheese.
5. During Daniel's first night in Auschwitz, what is the only he sounds he can hear once the lights are turned off?
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 15, where is Daniel and his father going?
2. What does Father tell Daniel he will do for Peter at the end of the book?
3. What disease does Daniel come down with at Auschwitz?
4. According to Daniel's father, where does the smoke at Auschwitz come from?
5. What are the prisoners at Auschwitz forced to wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Daniel need to see Erika a day after Adam's death?
2. How do the Germans successfully dehumanize the Jews?
3. How does Daniel's access to a radio symbolize his hope returning?
4. How do the photographs illustrate the declining conditions for the Jews?
5. What convinces Daniel that his mother is dead?
6. What is the significance of Peter's last words, "Find my family. Tell them. You go to Palestine for me. Remember..." ?
7. Why was Buchenwald a good place for the Germans?
8. What does the train ride symbolize in chapter thirteen?
9. When Daniel is captured attempting to hide from deportation to Auschwitz, why does he believe the pictures and Erika are right?
10. In what ways are the Germans confused about their future plans?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)