|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Daniel's kapo do after they leave the Canada storehouses?
(a) Winks and kicks him.
(b) Punches him.
(c) Beats him.
(d) Whips him.
2. What are the prisoners at Auschwitz forced to wear?
(a) Striped pajamas and clogs.
(c) Orange jumpsuits.
(d) Black jumpsuits.
3. After Daniel and his father arrive at Auschwitz, where do they go to work?
(a) Auschwitz I.
4. What does Father tell Daniel he will do for Peter at the end of the book?
(a) Give him a proper buriel.
(b) Feed him.
(c) Adopt him.
(d) Barter for him.
5. For four weeks, where are Daniel and his father kept?
(a) In prison.
(b) In a hospital.
(c) In quarantine at Birkenau.
(d) In tents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a kapo?
2. What big resistance act does Adam refer to?
3. With whom does Father develop a good bartering system with at their new camp?
4. According to Daniel, what had the Nazis created for themselves at his new camp?
5. In the intensive-care ward of the hospital, what does Peter tell Daniel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Daniel's valuables he keeps in the cupboard?
2. Why was Buchenwald a good place for the Germans?
3. Is it necessary for the kapo in charge of Daniel's group to be so cruel?
4. What is the significance of Daniel telling Adam, "Anything is better than sitting here like a helpless rabbit."?
5. How does Adam's death prove that he lived only for revenge?
6. What is the significance of the author showing the reader how the Germans live?
7. Why do the Nazis blow up the crematoria?
8. How do the photographs illustrate the declining conditions for the Jews?
9. When Daniel is captured attempting to hide from deportation to Auschwitz, why does he believe the pictures and Erika are right?
10. What purpose does the model SS father serve for the storyline?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)