|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religion is Daniel and his family?
2. According to Daniel, what hit him between the eyes when he was ten?
(a) A tennis ball.
(b) A basketball.
(c) A baseball.
(d) A soccer ball.
3. Because it is so cold during the winter of 1943, what happens to the walls in Daniel's apartment?
(a) They peel.
(b) They have ice on them.
(c) They crack.
(d) They have holes in them.
4. On March 30, 1933, what do Daniel's Uncle Walter and Uncle Peter argue about?
(c) Leaving Germany.
5. What bizarre outfit did Daniel's Oma Miriam give him?
(a) A photo album.
(b) A Hitler Youth uniform.
(c) A brown paper bag.
(d) A camera.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group does Rosa start?
2. By November of 1942, what does Daniel say he only knew?
3. What does Oma Miriam do after Daniel's bar mitzvah?
4. After Uncle Peter's arrest, who moves into Daniel's house?
5. What book does Daniel take from the shelf at Rosa's group meeting place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Daniel's inability to promise Rosa he will hide when his family's deportation papers come demonstrate his love for them?
2. What does Rosa's statement that she will leave a note in Daniel's old apartment as to where she is an indication of?
3. How does Passover provide hope for the Jewish people?
4. The day after the Brown Shirt incident, Uncle Peter comes to take a picture of the word, Jew sprayed on Daniel's father's store. Why is this action of importance that it should be photographed?
5. What purpose does the character of Mr. Schneider serve to the overall plot?
6. What purpose does the model SS father serve for the storyline?
7. Why does Daniel say the Gestapo officer saw them as only insects?
8. What is most important about the two photographs Daniel recalls in chapter two?
9. What is the emotional impact of other countries refusal to accept Jews on Daniel's family?
10. How does tradition and the fact that Daniel's family has been in Germany for over a thousand years affect his parents' decisions about emigrating?
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)