|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rosa tell Daniel about the man who lives near her apartment?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He hurts his children.
(c) He beats her.
(d) He steals bread from his children.
2. During the night after Daniel's family leaves their home, why can't Erika stop crying?
(a) The authorities searched her.
(b) She missed her family.
(c) She is sleepy.
(d) The authorities hurt her.
3. Because it is so cold during the winter of 1943, what happens to the walls in Daniel's apartment?
(a) They crack.
(b) They have holes in them.
(c) They have ice on them.
(d) They peel.
4. What bizarre outfit did Daniel's Oma Miriam give him?
(a) A camera.
(b) A Hitler Youth uniform.
(c) A photo album.
(d) A brown paper bag.
5. After Daniel's public-school teacher shows the class how inferior he is, what does Daniel do to him?
(c) Kicks him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What laws does Germany pass that forbid Jews from marrying Germans?
2. When Daniel and his family leave their home, what do the authorities search them for?
3. Who introduces Rosa to Daniel?
4. What do Daniel's family do to keep lice from spreading?
5. What happens to Uncle Peter six days after Daniel takes Erika to the newsreels?
Short Essay Questions
1. What significance does Oma Miriam's death have on Daniel?
2. How does Uncle Peter's death affect Daniel?
3. Why does Erika's speech to Daniel and Rosa about choosing love instead of hate say about the theme of the novel?
4. What does the photograph of Rosa symbolize?
5. How does tradition and the fact that Daniel's family has been in Germany for over a thousand years affect his parents' decisions about emigrating?
6. What does the Hitler Youth uniform Oma Miriam makes for Daniel symbolize?
7. What is the significance of Daniel being able to identify the pictures by feel?
8. In what ways is Erika playing in an orchestra not normal for Daniel's family?
9. What is the importance of keeping Erika's violin in the cupboard with the radio?
10. What is the emotional impact of other countries refusal to accept Jews on Daniel's family?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)