|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Daniel's favorite uncle?
(a) Uncle Peter.
(b) Uncle Joseph.
(c) Uncle Walter.
(d) Uncle John.
2. What happens on Daniel's birthday in March of 1943?
(a) A youth-group meeting.
(b) A party.
(c) Rosa kisses him.
(d) His father dies.
3. Because it is so cold during the winter of 1943, what happens to the walls in Daniel's apartment?
(a) They peel.
(b) They crack.
(c) They have ice on them.
(d) They have holes in them.
4. At the beginning of Chapter 1, how old is Daniel?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 5, how long has it been since Daniel got off the train in Lodz?
(a) Three years.
(b) Ten years
(c) Thirteen years.
(d) Two years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oma Miriam do after Daniel's bar mitzvah?
2. What does Oma Miriam write in her note to Daniel's family?
3. What does Daniel say had saved his life while living in Lodz?
4. What happens in March of 1944 that starts a decline in Erika's health?
5. When does Daniel start at his new school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does tradition and the fact that Daniel's family has been in Germany for over a thousand years affect his parents' decisions about emigrating?
2. Why did Daniel feel he had to go see "The Eternal Jew"?
3. What is most important about the two photographs Daniel recalls in chapter two?
4. The day after the Brown Shirt incident, Uncle Peter comes to take a picture of the word, Jew sprayed on Daniel's father's store. Why is this action of importance that it should be photographed?
5. Why is the scene with Daniel and his friends skirmish with the Hitler Youth boys important to the story?
6. What is significant about Rosa and Daniel teaching the father a lesson about stealing bread from his children?
7. What is the tragedy of the kitchen workers at the sewing factory keeping the good vegetables for themselves?
8. Why does Erika's speech to Daniel and Rosa about choosing love instead of hate say about the theme of the novel?
9. What is the significance of sending Uncle Peter's ashes to his family?
10. Once more a member of Daniel's family tries to convince others to leave Germany. What is significant about Uncle Aaron's plea with Uncle Peter and Daniel's parents?
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)