|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Uncle Peter six days after Daniel takes Erika to the newsreels?
(a) He's sent to the United States.
(b) He's killed.
(c) He's arrested.
(d) He's deported to England.
2. What does Oma Miriam write in her note to Daniel's family?
(a) She is sorry for making them take care of her.
(b) She is hungry.
(c) She fears what was ahead.
(d) She loves them.
3. At the beginning of the novel, where is Daniel and his family?
(a) In a car.
(b) On a truck.
(c) On a bus.
(d) On a train.
4. During the night after Daniel's family leaves their home, why can't Erika stop crying?
(a) The authorities searched her.
(b) She is sleepy.
(c) The authorities hurt her.
(d) She missed her family.
5. What is the name of Daniel's public school teacher?
(a) Uncle Peter.
(b) Mr. Smith.
(c) Mr. Schneider.
(d) Mr. Shingles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes ill the summer of 1943?
2. What news comes in October that scares Daniel?
3. What group does Rosa start?
4. On March 30, 1933, what do Daniel's Uncle Walter and Uncle Peter argue about?
5. What type of work does Daniel do while housed in Lodz?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the scene with Daniel and his friends skirmish with the Hitler Youth boys important to the story?
2. Why is Erika statement, "But maybe if we can hold out long enough, the war will end before they have a chance to kill us" important to the theme of chapter six?
3. What is the importance of keeping Erika's violin in the cupboard with the radio?
4. In what ways is Erika playing in an orchestra not normal for Daniel's family?
5. How does Uncle Peter's death affect Daniel?
6. What is the significance of sending Uncle Peter's ashes to his family?
7. What is significant about the Brown Shirt boycott of Daniel's father's store?
8. The day after the Brown Shirt incident, Uncle Peter comes to take a picture of the word, Jew sprayed on Daniel's father's store. Why is this action of importance that it should be photographed?
9. Why did Daniel feel he had to go see "The Eternal Jew"?
10. What is significant about Rosa and Daniel teaching the father a lesson about stealing bread from his children?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)