|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Daniel's public school teacher?
(a) Mr. Shingles.
(b) Mr. Smith.
(c) Mr. Schneider.
(d) Uncle Peter.
2. In July 1944, what event do the some Germans try unsuccessfully?
(a) A coup.
(b) An election.
(c) A parade.
(d) A demonstration.
3. During the night after Daniel's family leaves their home, why can't Erika stop crying?
(a) The authorities hurt her.
(b) The authorities searched her.
(c) She is sleepy.
(d) She missed her family.
4. The summer of 1943, who does Daniel see every day?
(c) Uncle Ned.
(d) German soldiers.
5. By November of 1942, what does Daniel say he only knew?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oma Miriam write in her note to Daniel's family?
2. Why is Daniel's father exempt from the Germans' shipping Jews off to other locations?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who is in the photo?
4. About a month after Oma Miriam dies, who comes to Daniel's home?
5. When Daniel and his family are being marched through the streets of Frankfurt, what does Daniel feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use the train ride to symbolize how the treatment of Jews have further declined?
2. The day after the Brown Shirt incident, Uncle Peter comes to take a picture of the word, Jew sprayed on Daniel's father's store. Why is this action of importance that it should be photographed?
3. What is significant about the Brown Shirt boycott of Daniel's father's store?
4. Why is the radio important to Daniel's family?
5. Why do the Nazis blow up the crematoria?
6. What does the train ride symbolize in chapter thirteen?
7. How do the Germans successfully dehumanize the Jews?
8. What is the significance of the author showing the reader how the Germans live?
9. What is the emotional impact of other countries refusal to accept Jews on Daniel's family?
10. In what ways is Erika playing in an orchestra not normal for Daniel's family?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)