|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About a month after Oma Miriam dies, who comes to Daniel's home?
(a) Uncle Peter.
(b) A postman.
(c) The police.
(d) An SS Black Shirt.
2. Why is Daniel's father exempt from the Germans' shipping Jews off to other locations?
(a) He is a World War I hero.
(b) He is only half Jewish.
(c) He is a good salesman.
(d) He is rich.
3. What happens in March of 1944 that starts a decline in Erika's health?
(a) Vegetable are banned.
(b) Meetings are banned.
(c) Soup is banned.
(d) Musical instruments are banned.
4. How old is Daniel when he meets Rosa?
5. What happens on Daniel's birthday in March of 1943?
(a) Rosa kisses him.
(b) A youth-group meeting.
(c) A party.
(d) His father dies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Daniel's public school teacher?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who is in the photo?
3. Because it is so cold during the winter of 1943, what happens to the walls in Daniel's apartment?
4. What does Daniel's father decide to do when they get their transport notices in July 1944?
5. What happens to Uncle Peter and other Jewish professors?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Daniel's inability to promise Rosa he will hide when his family's deportation papers come demonstrate his love for them?
2. What does Daniel mean when he says, "Yes, I can see from going through these pictures how it all started slowly and then got worse and worse and how the German people didn't try to stop it and how slowly all our rights were taken away until we were nothing but bodies being shipped out."
3. What does Daniel's photo album come to represent for him?
4. What significance does Oma Miriam's death have on Daniel?
5. Why was Daniel in a rush to take the picture of Erika and Rosa another important part of chapter eight?
6. What is the emotional impact of other countries refusal to accept Jews on Daniel's family?
7. What does the Hitler Youth uniform Oma Miriam makes for Daniel symbolize?
8. Why does Daniel not react when he and Fredrich find the elderly man dead in his apartment?
9. Why is the radio important to Daniel's family?
10. Why is Erika statement, "But maybe if we can hold out long enough, the war will end before they have a chance to kill us" important to the theme of chapter six?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)