|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Daniel and his family leave their home, what do the authorities search them for?
2. What happens in June 1944 that Daniel and the ghetto celebrate?
(b) Deportations stops.
(c) A riot.
(d) World War II ends.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who is in the photo?
4. What laws does Germany pass that forbid Jews from marrying Germans?
(a) Nuremberg Laws.
(b) Hitler Laws.
(c) Nazi Laws.
(d) Bill of Rights.
5. What happens to Daniel's father's store the day after Kristallnacht?
(a) It is locked down.
(b) It is looted.
(c) It is abandoned.
(d) It is bombed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the event is depicted in the first photograph, dated March 30, 1933?
2. What religion is Daniel and his family?
3. Who is Daniel's favorite uncle?
4. What does Daniel think of his mother's appearance in Chapter 3?
5. When is the last class picture taken of Daniel at public school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Daniel mean when he says, "Yes, I can see from going through these pictures how it all started slowly and then got worse and worse and how the German people didn't try to stop it and how slowly all our rights were taken away until we were nothing but bodies being shipped out."
2. What is the emotional impact of other countries refusal to accept Jews on Daniel's family?
3. What significance does Oma Miriam's death have on Daniel?
4. The day after the Brown Shirt incident, Uncle Peter comes to take a picture of the word, Jew sprayed on Daniel's father's store. Why is this action of importance that it should be photographed?
5. What purpose does the character of Mr. Schneider serve to the overall plot?
6. How does tradition and the fact that Daniel's family has been in Germany for over a thousand years affect his parents' decisions about emigrating?
7. What does Daniel's family's delousing of their clothing and bedding and the parents' attempts to give them a balanced diet mean to the overall plot?
8. What does the photograph of Rosa symbolize?
9. What is the significance of sending Uncle Peter's ashes to his family?
10. What does Daniel mean when he says that Rosa's smile was an act of defiance?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)