|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Rosa and her family the summer of 1944?
(a) They move into Friedrich's apartment.
(b) They are deported.
(c) They are killed.
(d) They are separated.
2. How old is Daniel at the start of Chapter 5?
3. How old is Daniel when he meets Rosa?
4. About a month after Oma Miriam dies, what is in the box sent to Daniel's family?
(b) Uncle Peter's ashes.
5. What happens to Uncle Peter six days after Daniel takes Erika to the newsreels?
(a) He's killed.
(b) He's sent to the United States.
(c) He's arrested.
(d) He's deported to England.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Lodz, how long does a loaf of bread have to last each person?
2. According to Daniel, what is illegal to have in May 1944?
3. What is the event is depicted in the first photograph, dated March 30, 1933?
4. What does Daniel think of his mother's appearance in Chapter 3?
5. When Daniel and his family are being marched through the streets of Frankfurt, what does Daniel feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Daniel mean when he says that Rosa's smile was an act of defiance?
2. What purpose does the character of Mr. Schneider serve to the overall plot?
3. What is significant about Rosa and Daniel teaching the father a lesson about stealing bread from his children?
4. What is the significance of Daniel being able to identify the pictures by feel?
5. Why is the scene with Daniel and his friends skirmish with the Hitler Youth boys important to the story?
6. What is most important about the two photographs Daniel recalls in chapter two?
7. What does Daniel's photo album come to represent for him?
8. Why does Daniel say the Gestapo officer saw them as only insects?
9. Why was Daniel in a rush to take the picture of Erika and Rosa another important part of chapter eight?
10. What is the importance of keeping Erika's violin in the cupboard with the radio?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)