|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Erika do to help Rosa and the other workers?
(a) Play her violin.
(b) Organize a meeting.
(c) Give a speech.
(d) Give her soup to others.
2. After Daniel's public-school teacher shows the class how inferior he is, what does Daniel do to him?
(d) Kicks him.
3. What special event does Daniel's mother make vegetables patties for?
(b) Daniel's birthday.
(c) Erika's birthday.
(d) Erika's orchestra debut.
4. If deportations happen again, what does Rosa's group decide to do?
(d) Go peacefully.
5. Where is Rosa actually from?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Rosa and other workers who refuse to eat their soup at the sewing factory?
2. When Daniel and his family are being marched through the streets of Frankfurt, what does Daniel feel?
3. Where do Daniel's family have to clean their bodies?
4. How many years has Daniel's family lived in Germany?
5. After Daniel's first day at his new school, what is his mother is upset about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Daniel mean when he says that Rosa's smile was an act of defiance?
2. Why does Daniel not react when he and Fredrich find the elderly man dead in his apartment?
3. What is the tragedy of the kitchen workers at the sewing factory keeping the good vegetables for themselves?
4. What does Daniel's photo album come to represent for him?
5. What does Daniel's family's delousing of their clothing and bedding and the parents' attempts to give them a balanced diet mean to the overall plot?
6. Why is Erika statement, "But maybe if we can hold out long enough, the war will end before they have a chance to kill us" important to the theme of chapter six?
7. Why is the radio important to Daniel's family?
8. The day after the Brown Shirt incident, Uncle Peter comes to take a picture of the word, Jew sprayed on Daniel's father's store. Why is this action of importance that it should be photographed?
9. Why does Daniel say the Gestapo officer saw them as only insects?
10. What is the significance of sending Uncle Peter's ashes to his family?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)