|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who dies at the end of Chapter 6 while protecting children?
(c) Aunt Leah.
(d) Uncle Leo.
2. How many years has Daniel's family lived in Germany?
(a) Two years.
(b) A hundred years.
(c) A thousand years.
(d) Fifty years.
3. When Daniel looks up from his photo album who is staring at him?
(a) Uncle Aaron.
(b) His mother.
(d) HIs father.
4. How old is Daniel at the start of Chapter 5?
5. What city is Daniel and his family leaving at the beginning of Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it about Rosa that is an act of defiance according to Daniel?
2. What book does Daniel take from the shelf at Rosa's group meeting place?
3. What do the German soldiers do to those at the hospital in Lodz?
4. What is Daniel's family doing the first time he met Rosa?
5. After France and Great Britain declared war on Germany, what does Daniel's family need to get groceries?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the tragedy of the kitchen workers at the sewing factory keeping the good vegetables for themselves?
2. How does Daniel's inability to promise Rosa he will hide when his family's deportation papers come demonstrate his love for them?
3. Why does Auntie Leah decide not to leave her two girls?
4. Why does Erika's speech to Daniel and Rosa about choosing love instead of hate say about the theme of the novel?
5. Why does Daniel not react when he and Fredrich find the elderly man dead in his apartment?
6. The day after the Brown Shirt incident, Uncle Peter comes to take a picture of the word, Jew sprayed on Daniel's father's store. Why is this action of importance that it should be photographed?
7. What does Daniel's family's delousing of their clothing and bedding and the parents' attempts to give them a balanced diet mean to the overall plot?
8. What significance does Oma Miriam's death have on Daniel?
9. What is the emotional impact of other countries refusal to accept Jews on Daniel's family?
10. What purpose does the character of Mr. Schneider serve to the overall plot?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)