|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In July 1944, what event do the some Germans try unsuccessfully?
(a) A parade.
(b) An election.
(c) A coup.
(d) A demonstration.
2. According to Daniel, what hit him between the eyes when he was ten?
(a) A tennis ball.
(b) A basketball.
(c) A baseball.
(d) A soccer ball.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 1, how old is Daniel?
4. What does Daniel think of his mother's appearance in Chapter 3?
(a) That she is close to death.
(b) That she is too thin.
(c) That she is tired.
(d) That she is beautiful.
5. About a month after Oma Miriam dies, what is in the box sent to Daniel's family?
(a) Uncle Peter's ashes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Daniel say had saved his life while living in Lodz?
2. What do Daniel's family do to keep lice from spreading?
3. What does Rosa want Daniel to promise her if deportation begins?
4. Daniel is on a train again in Chapter 5. Where do the Nazis tell Daniel he is going?
5. After Uncle Peter's death, what makes Peter feel better?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Daniel mean when he says, "Yes, I can see from going through these pictures how it all started slowly and then got worse and worse and how the German people didn't try to stop it and how slowly all our rights were taken away until we were nothing but bodies being shipped out."
2. What purpose does the character of Mr. Schneider serve to the overall plot?
3. Why was Daniel in a rush to take the picture of Erika and Rosa another important part of chapter eight?
4. What is significant about the Brown Shirt boycott of Daniel's father's store?
5. What is the tragedy of the kitchen workers at the sewing factory keeping the good vegetables for themselves?
6. Why does Erika's speech to Daniel and Rosa about choosing love instead of hate say about the theme of the novel?
7. What does Daniel mean when he says that Rosa's smile was an act of defiance?
8. Why does Daniel's father insist they carry their belongings with them instead of doing what the Germans said and putting their belongings in the wagon?
9. Once more a member of Daniel's family tries to convince others to leave Germany. What is significant about Uncle Aaron's plea with Uncle Peter and Daniel's parents?
10. What is significant about Rosa and Daniel teaching the father a lesson about stealing bread from his children?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)