|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who introduces Rosa to Daniel?
(b) Another worker.
(c) His uncle.
2. After Daniel's tenth birthday, what does his teacher do to him to show the class Daniel is inferior?
(a) Measures his height.
(b) Shows everyone his quiz score.
(c) Makes him spell words aloud.
(d) Measure the size of his head.
3. What does Rosa want Daniel to promise her if deportation begins?
(a) To fight.
(b) To help his family.
(c) To stay with her.
(d) To hide.
4. What does Oma Miriam do after Daniel's bar mitzvah?
(a) She moves in with his family.
(b) She kisses his cheek.
(c) She kills herself.
(d) She makes him a cake.
5. When Daniel and his family get off the train after leaving their home, where are they?
(a) Paris, France.
(b) Lodz, Poland.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) A concentration camp.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of the novel, where is Daniel and his family?
2. What happens in March of 1944 that starts a decline in Erika's health?
3. What is the name of Daniel's public school teacher?
4. About a month after Oma Miriam dies, what is in the box sent to Daniel's family?
5. What happens to Daniel's father's store the day after Kristallnacht?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the scene with Daniel and his friends skirmish with the Hitler Youth boys important to the story?
2. What is most important about the two photographs Daniel recalls in chapter two?
3. The day after the Brown Shirt incident, Uncle Peter comes to take a picture of the word, Jew sprayed on Daniel's father's store. Why is this action of importance that it should be photographed?
4. What is the significance of sending Uncle Peter's ashes to his family?
5. Why does Daniel's father insist they carry their belongings with them instead of doing what the Germans said and putting their belongings in the wagon?
6. What does Daniel mean when he says that Rosa's smile was an act of defiance?
7. What is the significance of Daniel being able to identify the pictures by feel?
8. How does Uncle Peter's death affect Daniel?
9. What is the emotional impact of other countries refusal to accept Jews on Daniel's family?
10. What is the importance of keeping Erika's violin in the cupboard with the radio?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)